The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #26
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Maybe she slept with the costume designer's BF or something.

There's no way someone could have designed that suit and looked at it and thought, yes this looks suitable for a network TV production.

I don't understand it either. It barely looked suitable to be a Halloween costume sold at Walmart. Kinda like the SR superman suit.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #27
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post
I would ^. She needs the tiara.
Why I made this a while ago.

:o
Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #28
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ As bad as the SR costume is, the SR costume looks like the costume designers didn't care much, while the WW costume made it look like they were trying to look terrible on purpose.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #29
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #30
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Shush Libby!

:o
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #31
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ As bad as the SR costume is, the SR costume looks like the costume designers didn't care much, while the WW costume made it look like they were trying to look terrible on purpose.
True. There has been some truly unfortunate superhero costumes created over the years.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #32
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Shush Libby!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #33
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
I don't think it's that the SR designers weren't trying, it's that they were trying to make Superman look less masculine by reducing the size of his shield, taking away his regal neckline and giving him a super tight speedo. So I guess they succeeded on that front.

HERESY!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #34
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I don't think it's that the SR designers weren't trying, it's that they were trying to make Superman look less masculine by reducing the size of his shield, taking away his regal neckline and giving him a super tight speedo. So I guess they succeeded on that front.
Why would they want to make him look less masculine?

\S/T*
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #35
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Because the director's gay and maybe didn't want to have a star crush? ;P

Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #36
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think it's that the SR designers weren't trying
I don't think anyone on these big productions have little care for their work. It may be a job, but they signed up for a reason.

In regards to SR, I distinctly remember the costume designer recalling how appalled she was at the online reactions and she actually cried to herself for days because of it.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #37
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Why would they want to make him look less masculine?
Myriad of reasons, but most likely because they were making a film that was aimed towards a female audience.

I don't think ripped like a mountain Cavill and his sleek suit would have suited that vision. Singer wanted a soft, passive and sensitive Superman. The huge masculine symbol and neckline would have gone against that characterization.

It's ironic because you look at Routh's natural build and he looks alot bigger than that suit made him appear. It almost compressed his chest and made his hips stand out. Really really odd design.

HERESY!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #38
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
In regards to SR, I distinctly remember the costume designer recalling how appalled she was at the online reactions and she actually cried to herself for days because of it.
Awww, now I feel bad.

It's just that costume was bad though....

\S/T*
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #39
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I feel bad for EVERYONE in regards Superman Returns. Singer for making a Superman sequel decades too late, the writers/costume designers/actors for having to conform to Singer's misguided vision, audiences for not getting their comic-oriented film..people who still like Returns, etc :/

Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #40
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Awww, now I feel bad.

It's just that costume was bad though....
With these sort of discussions becoming so ubiquitous, it's easy to forget there are actual people behind those decisions.

Must be hard to have the internet if you're in the industry. Knowing hundreds of thousands of people have given their opinion, nitpicks, and insults directly at something you worked on...it's hard not to take it personally. It's a little sad too because I bet many of these people are actually just kind-hearted individuals. I can't imagine what it must be like to be passionate about something and facing thousands of anonymous people taking a crap on your work.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #41
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Myriad of reasons, but most likely because they were making a film that was aimed towards a female audience.

I don't think ripped like a mountain Cavill and his sleek suit would have suited that vision. Singer wanted a soft, passive and sensitive Superman. The huge masculine symbol and neckline would have gone against that characterization.

It's ironic because you look at Routh's natural build and he looks alot bigger than that suit made him appear. It almost compressed his chest and made his hips stand out. Really really odd design.
Yeah, I can't picture a supes that looked like Cavill fitting into that story.

I prefer supes to look masculine and powerful. And I don't want him to be passive unless he's in Clark Kent mode. That's one of the reasons SR's superman felt out of character to me.

It really was an odd design. It emphasized his hips and thighs instead of his chest which is rare and odd for a design meant for a male.

\S/T*
Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #42
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
With these sort of discussions becoming so ubiquitous, it's easy to forget there are actual people behind those decisions.

Must be hard to have the internet if you're in the industry. Knowing hundreds of thousands of people have given their opinion, nitpicks, and insults directly at something you worked on...it's hard not to take it personally. It's a little sad too because I bet many of these people are actually just kind-hearted individuals. I can't imagine what it must be like to be passionate about something and facing thousands of anonymous people taking a crap on your work.
Yeah especially given that it might not have been her decision to make the colors so dulled and the briefs so tight. She might have wanted to make an incredible Reeve like costume, but Singer or a Producer might have walked over and given their input which made her change the design.

Who knows?

HERESY!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #43
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
^ I feel bad for EVERYONE in regards Superman Returns. Singer for making a Superman sequel decades too late, the writers/costume designers/actors for having to conform to Singer's misguided vision, audiences for not getting their comic-oriented film..people who still like Returns, etc :/
hehe. Touche.

Quote:

That would be hard.

I hope the folks behind the MOS suit realize that many love it. Kudos to them.

\S/T*
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #44
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I like how the skirt adds a little shadow. Make the "shorts" longer and we're set

Old 02-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #45
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Quote:
I don't think anyone on these big productions have little care for their work. It may be a job, but they signed up for a reason.

She should have blamed Singer like the rest of us. Wasn't it his call? His design taste is stiff, bland, and too clean.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 AM   #46
MrsKent26
Whatever.

The costume was one of the problems for me. It contributed to a very awkward look for Superman.

\S/T*
Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #47
MrsKent26
Whatever.

It would have improved it a tiny bit for me. It would have been better to have something nice to look at and may have made Routh's Supes seem slightly less wimpy.

\S/T*
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #48
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Quote:
It would have improved it a tiny bit for me. It would have been better to have something nice to look at and may have made Routh's Supes seem slightly less wimpy.
This is how Cavill saved MOS and the new suit was a bonus.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 AM   #49
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
You finally made me laugh you old rapscallion you.
Black BOND Crew#
Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #50
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I got to say... I want a costume(s) that take the majority of the inspiration of design from the comics... But a part of me is wondering how far off the reservation they will go, and how far I will go in accepting it if they do go pretty far.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Closed Thread