The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #276
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
TFA had a ton more to cover than TWS does. I think Thor's problem wasn't the 115 mins. I just think scripting it over 2 days with little time progression made it feel short. Had they skipped time or something, without changing the run time, it would have worked better. TDW could have been a tad longer. There I agree. That said, I don't think 128 mins is a short movie.
I agree. See my edit.

128mins isn't a short film. Nor is it long. It is more around the standard blockbuster length, especially when you consider the credit length. But it all depends on the story and how they work it. If it all falls into place then it could very well be the perfect length. Afterall the longest Star Wars is AotC and the shortest is Star Wars. Look how that worked out.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #277
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I agree. See my edit.

128mins isn't a short film. Nor is it long. It is more around the standard blockbuster length, especially when you consider the credit length. But it all depends on the story and how they work it. If it all falls into place then it could very well be the perfect length. Afterall the longest Star Wars is AotC and the shortest is Star Wars. Look how that worked out.
Exactly! Many great films were made at around 2hrs. Like you said, it is all about pacing. I believe Spider-Man 2 was 128 mins. Spider-Man 3 was actually LONGER. Which would you rather watch? LOL.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #278
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

I think the length thing, especially with adaptations, became a thing when we started seeing these films attempt to pack a lot of character and story into the "standard" run length. You lose so much character like that. So it started to be a concern.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:21 AM   #279
Minxie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxie View Post
In that "Conspiracy" featurette I noticed a small change between the trailer and what appears to be the finished scene. Here's a gif:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Featurette:

And this is from the original theatrical trailer:

So I guess that's how Sam and Natasha escape that car wreck. But my goodness that does not look safe lol.

Just wanted to amend this little bitty spoiler I posted earlier thanks to something I saw on tumblr just now:
So if this post is correct then Steve is also in the car when this happens. I was never quite sure because I could only see Natasha and Sam before but in a close up of that shot of them busting out the side of the car you can clearly see Steve's blue jacket and his hair.
And my favorite thing is that Sam has his arms protectively around both of them awww

Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #280
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I think the length thing, especially with adaptations, became a thing when we started seeing these films attempt to pack a lot of character and story into the "standard" run length. You lose so much character like that. So it started to be a concern.
I get that, but within the superhero movie, we only have a handful of movies that exceeded 130mins in their first cut. Only ones I can think of off hand that were over 130mins in initial cut were X2, X-Men: First Class (but those were BARELY over), Hulk, Superman Returns, Spider-Man 3, Watchmen, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, and Man of Steel. That is at the top of my head, though. Superman: The Movie didn't reach its 143 mins until a later extended cut. When you consider how many superhero movies we've seen, especially post 2000, that's not that many. This list is interesting to me because many of these are fairly divisive, also. But, we've had tons of quality CBMs over the years not on this list. That's why the runtime thing I always shake my head until I see the movie.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 02-27-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #281
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Yeah, but how many great superhero films are there? That there haven't been many isn't really an issue, as you the three most universally beloved on the list. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and the Avengers are the gold standard for most. X2 and First Class are regarded as the best of the X-Men films.

If we did a comparison, in terms of percentages, I'd think there be more superhero films under 130min that "failed" in terms of quality.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #282
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, but how many great superhero films are there? That there haven't been many isn't really an issue, as you the three most universally beloved on the list. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and the Avengers are the gold standard for most. X2 and First Class are regarded as the best of the X-Men films.

If we did a comparison, in terms of percentages, I'd think there be more superhero films under 130min that "failed" in terms of quality.
Most certainly, but I give a partial pass on some because many of the truly horrendous ones were either made pre-2000 or fell victim to Tom Rothman. Normally, the awful ones were closer to 90-100mins. Most that fall into the 110-130min range are not awful (but, some notable exceptions). Particularly more recently as these films have gotten better more consistently over time. Just in the same runtime range Cap 2 now has, I'd throw in Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man as other great ones most would agree upon. Superman: The Movie may squeek in as well.

Like I said, in the case of X2 and FC...those are basically 130 min movies (they're both around 132mins...so close enough!) This discussion is making me want to bust out my bluray/DVD CBM collection, LOL!

Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #283
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Most certainly, but I give a partial pass on some because many of the truly horrendous ones were either made pre-2000 or fell victim to Tom Rothman. Normally, the awful ones were closer to 90-100mins. Most that fall into the 110-130min range are not awful (but, some notable exceptions). Particularly more recently as these films have gotten better more consistently over time. Just in the same runtime range Cap 2 now has, I'd throw in Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man as other great ones most would agree upon. Superman: The Movie may squeek in as well.

Like I said, in the case of X2 and FC...those are basically 130 min movies (they're both around 132mins...so close enough!) This discussion is making me want to bust out my bluray/DVD CBM collection, LOL!
The evolution of the superhero film has come with the material being taken more seriously and as a result the length has been going up.

TDK, Begins, the Avengesr are layered films with many balls in the air. They need the length. SM2 and IM are far more "simple" and thus thrive in that regard. They don't have longs of characters.

128mins for TWS at first glance feels far more appropriate then the length of TFA or either Thor film.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #284
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
The evolution of the superhero film has come with the material being taken more seriously and as a result the length has been going up.

TDK, Begins, the Avengesr are layered films with many balls in the air. They need the length. SM2 and IM are far more "simple" and thus thrive in that regard. They don't have longs of characters.
Exactly! Avengers can't work at around 2hrs. The project is simply too big. Runtime in cinema largely are going up in every genre, honestly. 2.5-3hr films used to be very rare. Now we get them fairly commonly.

To this point, I don't see anything in Cap 2 that makes me think it can't work in 128mins. I don't think any Marvel film outside Avengers honestly needed 2hr 15 or more length. Even Thor: The Dark World, I think an extra 10-15 mins would have done the job. Some of the problems in prior MCU films I don't feel were products of runtime, but flaws at a conceptual level. Probably the closest solo that could have benefited from a lengthy runtime was likely TFA, and that was because Cap's entire history as a superhero in WWII needed to be told in 1 film. But, as my sig suggests, I still loved it (as well as the MCU movies in general)!!!! Loved the retro-action vibe in TFA

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 02-27-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 AM   #285
DarkPhoenix82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
That will be after the end credits...

Cap, Widow, Falcon, Fury and Bucky in a Thai restaurant.

And then Hawkeye comes in.
"Sorry guys, saw your message only now. What did I miss?"

And everyone glares.

Also, since I just printed it and had it open anyway, the relevant excerpts of my invitation, just in case anyone wants formal proof for the runtime.

Last edited by DarkPhoenix82; 02-27-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:10 AM   #286
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just wanted to amend this little bitty spoiler I posted earlier thanks to something I saw on tumblr just now:
So if this post is correct then Steve is also in the car when this happens. I was never quite sure because I could only see Natasha and Sam before but in a close up of that shot of them busting out the side of the car you can clearly see Steve's blue jacket and his hair.
And my favorite thing is that Sam has his arms protectively around both of them awww

Looks like Steve is breaking them out of their careening car after WS pulled out the steering wheel/drive column from the clip we saw in the trailers.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #287
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Looks like Steve is breaking them out of their careening car after WS pulled out the steering wheel/drive column from the clip we saw in the trailers.
Looks like Falcon bailing Widow out to me. Steve isn't in that car.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-27-2014, 02:42 AM   #288
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Exactly! Avengers can't work at around 2hrs. The project is simply too big. Runtime in cinema largely are going up in every genre, honestly. 2.5-3hr films used to be very rare. Now we get them fairly commonly.

To this point, I don't see anything in Cap 2 that makes me think it can't work in 128mins. I don't think any Marvel film outside Avengers honestly needed 2hr 15 or more length. Even Thor: The Dark World, I think an extra 10-15 mins would have done the job. Some of the problems in prior MCU films I don't feel were products of runtime, but flaws at a conceptual level. Probably the closest solo that could have benefited from a lengthy runtime was likely TFA, and that was because Cap's entire history as a superhero in WWII needed to be told in 1 film. But, as my sig suggests, I still loved it (as well as the MCU movies in general)!!!! Loved the retro-action vibe in TFA
I agree that most problems are conceptually. They start with the script phase. TDW feels like an ensemble pieces that was stripped down to the bare minimum in terms of anyone not named Thor, Loki or Darcy.

And I am right there with you with TFA. The more I watch it the more I enjoy it. Was on FX tonight before the new episode of the Americans, and I ended up watching a lot of it again. I could watch Evans, Atwell and Jones in those roles all day. It has its flaws, but it really works on the whole for me. But I also love that TWS is trying to be something completely different. It needs to be.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 02-27-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:04 AM   #289
kosh33
MCU Fanatic

Quote:
In that "Conspiracy" featurette I noticed a small change between the trailer and what appears to be the finished scene. Here's a gif:

Featurette:

And this is from the original theatrical trailer:

So I guess that's how Sam and Natasha escape that car wreck. But my goodness that does not look safe lol.

Great catch Minxie.. time to appoint you as the MovieGif Master of the forum

Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #290
kosh33
MCU Fanatic

Quote:

isnt there a
scene of widow picking up falcon and shield, but i thought that was in the start of the movie, maybe its on the way back

Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #291
kosh33
MCU Fanatic

back to the run time discussion again>?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 AM   #292
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Looks like Falcon bailing Widow out to me. Steve isn't in that car.
Nope. The answer lies in Total Film UK April Issue. They describe the scene in question, and steve is in the car with widow and wilson

(page 61)

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #293
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
Nope. The answer lies in Total Film UK April Issue. They describe the scene in question, and steve is in the car with widow and wilson

(page 61)
There's a picture of that somewhere.

I recall seeing Steve's shield in the front passenger side window in one of the ads. Presumably they land on the shield when they tumble out of the car and it absorbs the force of the impact.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #294
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh33 View Post
Maybe it will go away if the rest of us just ignore it. Same with the "sexy Black Widow" whining.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:03 AM   #295
ikt36
Side-Kick

wasn't the runtime confirmed to be 136mins the other day, its listed as 135mins in aus:

http://www.eventcinemas.com.au/movie...Winter-Soldier

Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #296
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh33 View Post
The only way we're ever going to get a truly great superhero movie is if it has a 3-hour runtime and has a hard R rating!!!!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #297
DarkPhoenix82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikt36 View Post
wasn't the runtime confirmed to be 136mins the other day, its listed as 135mins in aus:

http://www.eventcinemas.com.au/movie...Winter-Soldier
It's a cinema site, they're not always reliable. Very possible they just copied that from that wrong tweet, if it was wrong. The invitation I posted a few hours ago is an official Marvel document, and it says 128... And as I said, it's highly unlikely, they cut something out for the press viewings. All Marvel flicks I saw in press viewings were always complete.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #298
Minxie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post

(page 61)
I read the description in the issue and omg
Natasha is in the back seat but she ends up getting tossed into Steve's lap in the front. That is adorable. Well ok the way I'm picturing it makes it seem adorable to me but idk if the scene is meant to be a humorous/cute one or not lol. It'll probably be a scary close call, like Natasha nearly goes flying through the windshield but Steve grabs her just in time.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #299
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
There's a picture of that somewhere.

I recall seeing Steve's shield in the front passenger side window in one of the ads. Presumably they land on the shield when they tumble out of the car and it absorbs the force of the impact.
On CBM, Marvel_Freshman's hi-res caps, you can pretty visibly see Cap's shield in the car as it flips over. I'd link but I don't think CBM shows up on this site.

But it is so, so pretty in HD!!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #300
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Regarding runtime (and someone has probably already said something similar, I only skimmed the past few pages), my personal view? A movie should be as long as the story needs it to be. For some films, that might be 3+ hours, other films might only need 90 min (or less) to tell the story they want to tell. Just because a movie is long does not necessarily make it better nor does it being short necessarily make it bad.

Regardless of what TWS's final runtime is, I'm going to wait and see the film, see the story, see how it's paced, before possibly complaining that it needed to be longer.

Just my opinion.

~Agents of SHIELD
Closed Thread