The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #76
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Default Re: "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

One thing I think might impact the Cap universe if Evans retires after Avengers 3 is the character of Sharon Carter. I think her relationship with Steve Rogers will only come to fruition after Cap 3, but if Evans hangs up his tights I'm not sure where her character will go.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #77
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

I don't see Chris Evans not returning after Cap 3.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #78
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

The way Evans is talking, he's done not just with Cap, but acting altogether once Avengers 3 is done.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #79
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Bringing this over from the news thread, because it's a nice counterpoint from the Vulture timeline:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/26...biggest-regret

Basically he's really grateful for the opportunities Marvel has given him, this time around.

Like I keep saying, there are a ton of things Marvel could offer him if they want him to be happy (producer credit on a future movie, directing a TV show/one-shot, backend deal…)

But yeah, I think he'll fulfill his contract no matter what. He may have several breakdowns getting there… but he'll get it done. Then he might take a break or stop acting altogether and recharge.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #80
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Maybe after Evans' "retirement", he can help Marvel shoot some of the One-Shots and make cameos as Cap after Phase 4 and beyond, so they won't have to recast Steve Rogers.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #81
mocomic
Philistian by choice

Evans is playing poker guys. I'm done with acting. Mr Evans will $50,000,000 change your mind.

I'm making a comeback, the script is great.

mocomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #82
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Bringing this over from the news thread, because it's a nice counterpoint from the Vulture timeline:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/26...biggest-regret

Basically he's really grateful for the opportunities Marvel has given him, this time around.

Like I keep saying, there are a ton of things Marvel could offer him if they want him to be happy (producer credit on a future movie, directing a TV show/one-shot, backend deal…)

But yeah, I think he'll fulfill his contract no matter what. He may have several breakdowns getting there… but he'll get it done. Then he might take a break or stop acting altogether and recharge.
Chris must be saying different things to different interviewers because he was also quoted as saying that he would love to continue acting only for Marvel in the future, while he pursues a career as a director. He expressed happiness with the way Marvel handles its films, as opposed to some of the other projects he has worked on. Knowing that Marvel's films are going to be good is what seemed most important to him. Considering what Chris said in that same interview about the Fantastic Four movies, it's clear that the quality of the films is extremely important to him now.

Quote:
"The Fantastic Four had a lot to do with my concerns about playing Captain America," admits Chris Evans to the Toronto Sun. “Those Fantastic Four movies… how do you say this correctly? This is where interviews get tricky. If you’re going to get locked up in a long-term contract, you’ve got to make sure the movies you’re making are movies you’ll be proud of. With a lot of movies I’ve made, I’ve had something to question. And the Fantastic Four was a three-movie deal (though only two were ever made). Captain America was a six-picture contract (counting three Avengers movies). And Robert Downey Jr. had already set the tone with the Iron Man movies, there already was a following. So those six movies were for real.”

That seems to be what bothers Chris the most about acting, the fact that so many of his films haven't been good and/or have been difficult to work on. He's working in a profession that he loves, obviously, but there are just so many bad rom-coms and so-so action movies one can do before it gets to be a grind. Having to watch what some critics have said is his best performance get nearly buried by the Weinsteins has to be a contributing factor. Everyone wants to be proud of their work, but Chris understandably isn't proud of some of his films -- which is even harder to take when everyone else in the world can judge their quality, too.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #83
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Chris must be saying different things to different interviewers because he was also quoted as saying that he would love to continue acting only for Marvel in the future, while he pursues a career as a director. He expressed happiness with the way Marvel handles its films, as opposed to some of the other projects he has worked on. Knowing that Marvel's films are going to be good is what seemed most important to him. Considering what Chris said in that same interview about the Fantastic Four movies, it's clear that the quality of the films is extremely important to him now.

That seems to be what bothers Chris the most about acting, the fact that so many of his films haven't been good and/or have been difficult to work on. He's working in a profession that he loves, obviously, but there are just so many bad rom-coms and so-so action movies one can do before it gets to be a grind. Having to watch what some critics have said is his best performance get nearly buried by the Weinsteins has to be a contributing factor. Everyone wants to be proud of their work, but Chris understandably isn't proud of some of his films -- which is even harder to take when everyone else in the world can judge their quality, too.
The problem in a lot of the interviews, especially with the Variety interview, is that he's kind of sort of saying the same thing, but either worded differently or maybe even responding to a question that isn't included. Like, I thought Chris in the Variety interview really wasn't saying anything he hadn't said before, just worded a little more definitively than the prior interview where he talked about possibly retiring.

But yeah, I agree with your last paragraph. I think it's all coming from a place of frustration with how the movie industry operates, what gets promoted and pushed and received well by audiences and really not having creative control over projects he thought were okay when he signed on. What he said about script readthroughs in that Toronto Sun interview points in that direction.

If Marvel gives him some more control over future projects, or a nice salary/backend increase, or if another auteur director wants to work with him, I have little doubt he will "return" to acting. But even if he decides to direct full time, at least he's going out at his peak; really he's doing some of the best work of his career right now!

ETA: I also think people get confused when he refers to "Marvel" movies negatively, b/c it's pretty clear he means the Fantastic Four stuff. I do think, for the most part, he's happy with Marvel Studios.

Likely too, some interviews could just be given on a bad day, when Chris is feeling particularly grumpy about everything. He's a Boston kid - those dudes gripe about everything. But I still love them all the same.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 03-29-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #84
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/timel...witter_vulture

Vulture's collection of Evans' comments over the years paint a sad picture.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #85
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/timel...witter_vulture

Vulture's collection of Evans' comments over the years paint a sad picture.
Heh… that's what we've been talking about for the past couple of pages.

Awww… Woobie Chris!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #86
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

He's a tremendously likable guy who can act his butt off if given the right material. But the roles that would get him the perfect mixture of critical acclaim and worldwide celebrity aren't matching up for him, due to what studios push. He really does seem to be an indie actor at heart but doing the big movies to keep his career going. As for the griping and his Boston/New England background, I've seen that in enough people from there that it's not even a bad stereotype; it's an apt one.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #87
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
He's a tremendously likable guy who can act his butt off if given the right material. But the roles that would get him the perfect mixture of critical acclaim and worldwide celebrity aren't matching up for him, due to what studios push. He really does seem to be an indie actor at heart but doing the big movies to keep his career going. As for the griping and his Boston/New England background, I've seen that in enough people from there that it's not even a bad stereotype; it's an apt one.
I lived in Boston for several years before moving to NorCal; I love the city and the people, and the one thing you can say is that they are honest as a mirror! They whine and complain about everything, and I did too when I lived there, and yet I just love them to pieces LOL!

I was having a "Which is worse? Snow or earthquake?" competition with a buddy of mine on FB. God I do miss Boston…

Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #88
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Chris, Scarlett & Sam were in Beijing on Sunday. It's hard to believe that Chris made it to New York for GMA this morning looking fresh and rested after such a long trip.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #89
Asr
Side-Kick

Did anyone watch Chris on Jimmy Fallon last night? It was hilarious! Never knew he had a brother, who came out with him and they told some really funny stories from when they were kids.

The episode's online for those who missed it: http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/episodes/31

Last edited by Asr; 04-02-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #90
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

That was pretty cruel prank that Chris played on his brother as kids. Chris knew he was busted and just couldn't get any words out due to him and his brother laughing so hard.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #91
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

I can't upload images yet but here's a link to an album of Hot Toy's Captain America/Steve Rogers figure: It's creepily good

imgur.com/a/SHWYz

TalismanRing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #92
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #93
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 04-03-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #94
Leafy
Side-Kick

. . . if I had any money.

Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #95
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

It looks just like Evans

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #96
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Evans was brillant in this film, he really lead this film well.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #97
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
I thought he was a strange choice prior to First Avenger but damn he has really done it perfectly. His physique in this one is crazy and really makes you believe he has the super soldier capabilities. Hats off to him, his physical dedication in this film is nuts.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #98
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
I thought he was a strange choice prior to First Avenger but damn he has really done it perfectly. His physique in this one is crazy and really makes you believe he has the super soldier capabilities. Hats off to him, his physical dedication in this film is nuts.
Oh yeah, when he was wearing the wife beater, it was really hard to take my eyes off of certain areas on him.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #99
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Agreed. I think he's one of the best on screen hero portrayals going around. The material has been there, but he hasn't put a foot wrong.

I liked his non-answer when Widow observes Peggy's old photo. There's more than just action going on here.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #100
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Oh yeah, when he was wearing the wife beater, it was really hard to take my eyes off of certain areas on him.
There was a bigger ooh and murmur in my audience when he appeared in that tank than during the Bucky reveal.

He's truly wonderful here. Aside from the aesthetics (and in some scenes his face is almost surreally beautiful) and the athleticism and physicality during fight scenes that tops any other super-hero actor I can recall Evans brings such humanity to the role.

He's so believably steadfast, honorable and kind - all of which he makes not only a strength but a vulnerability. His scenes with his "best girl" Peggy and the "to the end of the line" with Bucky" are gut wrenching.

He's now also so believable in Captain mode. I loved his first scene with Fury about how he doesn't appreciate being undermined on a mission and how he confronts Natasha about the same thing.

Oh the scenes between Steve and Natasha - so much chemistry. So much that it really makes it hard to get excited about Agent 13 as a love interest (and I'm already iffy on that because stuff from the comics - like her "killing" him and his kid)

TalismanRing is online now   Reply With Quote