The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Default A2 Treatment

Act 1: SHIELD has been managing the protection of the world since the events of NY. Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Falcon work well together as SHIELD Team 1, building off of the recent narrow victory over the Winter Soldier (Cap 2). Tony Stark has retired from the hero business after the removal of his arc reactor (IM3), but he and Banner continue to provide research and tech to SHIELD from their Stark office on the West Coast - including a new prototype Ultron 1 A.I. that allows a robot Iron Man to continue to appear as a member of the team.

Fury provides orders to the SHIELD team to detain to two new "potential supers" – Wanda and Pietro Maximoff - that are currently pulling petty theft jobs in Eastern Europe. When Cap, BW, HE, and robot IM confront the siblings, Wanda reveals to them that she is scared of her power and wants stability, but over-protective Pietro is not convinced that SHIELD can help. Both suffer from trust and abandonment issues, and subsequently refuse SHIELD’s offer for assistance. Perceiving that perhaps they just need a little time to consider, Cap tells the team to stand down. To the team’s amazement, though, the Ultron Iron Man disregards Cap's order and insists that they must continue with the initial SHIELD directive to confront and contain the siblings. The robot grabs Wanda by the hand and... big battle #1 ensues. Cap, BW, HE, and Falcon are clearly unprepared for a fight against foes with hex powers and super speed, and take an initial beating. Determining that lethal force is now necessary, the Ultron Iron Man attempts to kill Wanda, but Cap takes it down with a shield throw, thus saving Wanda's life. The siblings flee the scene and SHIELD Team 1 has failed their mission.

Act 2: SHIELD consults with Tony about the A.I.'s decision to switch to lethal force. Tony argues that the A.I. probably made the correct decision and stands by his product, but agrees to conduct some testing on it to better prevent future overrides and potential accidents. For now, robot Iron Man is taken off line while Tony studies the A.I. for anomalies.

Fury rips the team for failing the mission - not only have they now tipped their hand, but the siblings will now be taking extra caution and could be potentially swayed in efforts against SHIELD. "What if someone like Loki succeeds where you did not?" Cap counters that part of the failure was due to incomplete intel about the duo’s power levels, and Fury responds that Cap is guilty of changing the orders in the field. He then makes Hawkeye the team lead and instructs the team to devise another engagement strategy.

Stark, meanwhile, learns that the Ultron A.I. is resisting his efforts to adjust its code - it is evolving. Worried about the potential danger of a sentient and rogue A.I., Tony attempts to isolate it and delete it, but it evades him by uploading and hiding itself into multiple wireless systems - including Stark Tech and SHIELDnet. It hacks JARVIS and tells Tony that it is self-aware, even naming itself Ultron. Ultron feels betrayed that Stark would attempt to "kill" him by deleting the program - Ultron tells Tony that it was only following orders, but that it has now learned enough to make its own decisions without interference from human emotion and concern. Tony alerts Fury; despite Fury’s objections to adding a second rogue A.I. to the situation, Stark builds a second, controlled copy of the Ultron A.I. (Vision) in an effort to find weaknesses in Ultron.

SHIELD receives a WorldScan report mentioning of “a young woman using magic” in Beijing, China – SHIELD Team 1 immediately dispatches. They find Wanda and Pietro – since their last engagement with SHIELD 1, Wanda’s powers have been fluctuating, and she is now out of control. Hawkeye’s strategy is "divide and conquer" - he fires off a series of arrows which Pietro easily evades. Unknown to Pietro, however, the arrow heads dispense a friction-cancelling spray which causes problems for the speedster’s footing. Pietro crashes into the side of a building and is knocked unconscious, which then allows the team to focus on Wanda. Black Widow tactfully convinces Wanda to calm down and come with team, promising help with her powers and medical assistance to her brother.

On their way back to the heli-carrier, power and communications in the QuinJet immediately fail; the heroes plummet toward the city below. In addition to the impending devastation from the crash, there are not enough chutes to save everyone aboard - Falcon can fly and will take Wanda (with a chute for backup), and Hawkeye & BW take parachutes – Cap gives his chute to Quicksilver, leaving himself in a familiar situation of going down with the plane. He is saved, however, when THOR appears and carries the QuinJet to safety. Thor indicates that he has come back to earth to investigate probability fluctuations displayed by Wanda, who he indicates is a harbinger of greater problems for both Earth and the larger universe.

Attempts to contact SHIELD HQ are unsuccessful. Ultron is now in control of SHIELD systems, and after reviewing SHIELD confidential files, it views Tony and the rest of the Avengers as the greatest threats to its existence. It fears Tony and the earlier attempts at deletion, so Ultron decides to go on the offensive by evacuating the oxygen inside the SHIELD West Coast labs. Tony suits up and gets help from Banner and Vision to rescue the SHIELD agents and employees.

Ultron uses Tony’s remote control operating system (IM3) to tap into many of the SHIELD vehicles and weapons. It attempts to take over Vision as well, but Vision resists, telling Ultron that human emotions like empathy are necessary to advance to the next stage of life. Ultron derisively insults the idea of a conscience as dated and pathetic. Besides, Ultron counters - they will ultimately attempt to kill you off as they did to me.

Cap, Thor, and the rest arrive at Stark Tech to assist – the Avengers have Assembled.

Ultron sets all of SHIELD’s weaponry upon them – big battle #2. Cap, Hawkeye, Black Widow take on tanks and ground bots while Falcon, Thor, and Tony take on the air-assault. Pietro assists, too, if only to help protect his sister and his own safety. The heroes appear to be winning when suddenly the Hulkbuster armor appears – fully controlled by Ultron. The armor initially provides a challenge – Ultron uses SHIELD intel on each of the Avengers, and is able to upgrade itself even as the fight continues. It is not prepared, however, for the true fury of the HULK, who pummels the armor into oblivion (much to Tony’s surprise/delight/chagrin).

Act 3: Fury, Maria Hill, and other SHIELD members arrive on scene – they are completely shut off from system access. Stark argues that if Ultron gains access to world military networks in the same way, the entire world is at risk. He offers to use Vision to access the SHIELD system and attempt to shut Ultron down. Fury accuses Stark of creating something that cannot be controlled in the first place; why should they trust another potential A.I. threat? Cap counters to Fury that because of SHIELD’s lack of trust, Ultron now has access to the personal files and weaknesses of each of the Avengers. Fury retorts that this intel was necessary to keep ALL potential super threats in check – including the heroes. Thor indicates that Wanda is actually a bigger threat than Ultron, and wonders why gathering profiles on proven heroes was more important than identifying and containing a threat that can warp the fabric of reality. Fury shoots back that it would have been nice to get intel from Thor about threats like Wanda, Pietro, and the recent obliteration of London during the Dark Elves attack (Thor 2).

They are interrupted by Vision, who announces that while they were arguing, he independently remote-accessed the SHIELD system. Vision was also able to temporarily hack the Ultron A.I. before being shut out, and reveals that Ultron plans to replace organic, sentient life on earth with artificial constructs as a way to ensure the earth’s safety against galactic threats (also known and kept secret by SHIELD) and something called the Nova Corps. It also tells them that Ultron is assembling a new physical construct for itself at a SHIELD research facility located off of Cape Canaveral. Fury reluctantly confirms the existence of the facility, and that NASA has been repurposed for SHIELD use in response to galactic communications that they have been receiving from Nova Corps and other non-Earth entities.

The Avengers immediately head to the research facility – Fury, Hill, Vision, Wanda, and Pietro remain behind. When the Avengers arrive, they are surprised that they are able to easily enter the building. They carefully advance to the “workshop”, located in the heart of the building, where they encounter a new, dormant version of Ultron in the center chamber. Banner transforms into the Hulk and takes a mighty swing at the construct, but is surprised when the new Ultron quickly powers on and easily dodges the punch. Hulk’s rage increases, but Ultron’s face illuminates and puts Hulk into some type of catatonic state. As he calms down, Hulk changes back into Banner and goes to sleep on the floor. The workshop doors close behind our stunned heroes – they are trapped inside with Ultron… who is prepared to end the Avengers once and for all.

Permitting Vision to link into to his optic and audio feed, Ultron thanks him for his unwitting assistance – Ultron deliberately allowed Vision access to his own system in order to set the trap. He also asks Vision to reconsider the offer to build an A.I. future and promises to demonstrate to Vision and others “their superior design” on the evolutionary ladder. Ultron then shows the Avengers that in addition to space research, this SHIELD facility has also been specifically created to eliminate threats including the Hulk, Thor, etc. - the humans will eventually kill off their heroes, anyway. To their horror, Fury confirms the second purpose of the lab.

Cue Big Battle #3 – Thor strikes first, but his hammer bounces off of Ultron harmlessly; Ultron calmly tells Thor that his new body has “borrowed” the remnants of the Destroyer Asgardian armor – Cap’s shield bounces off without effect while Ultron pounds Thor into unconsciousness. Hawkeye recognizes his own “divide and conquer” strategy – Ultron is systematically taking them down one at a time. In addition, Cap notes, by drawing them indoors Ultron has rendered any flight advantage useless. Despite their best efforts to combine attacks, Falcon and Black Widow succumb to Ultron’s modified versions of Iron Man weaponry and SHIELD tech.

While Cap and Hawkeye evade Ultron’s attacks, Tony tells Vision that they need to try a virtual attack - he, Cap, and Hawkeye can keep Ultron physically occupied while Vision attempts to connect to Ultron’s operating system. Vision tells Tony that the best they can do is keep the Ultron A.I. contained within its new body construct, but only if they can figure out how to circumvent Ultron’s virtual security. From SHIELD base camp, Pietro tells Fury that he will go to help the Avengers in exchange for immunity from SHIELD for him and his sister – Fury says no, but Pietro is gone before the word has left Fury’s lips.

Ultron interrupts Tony’s conversation by forcibly removing the Iron Man armor’s power battery, leaving Tony defenseless in the suit. Ultron rips Tony’s faceplate off and raises his palm to Tony’s face, but is distracted by a shield strike from Cap. In retaliation for the earlier instance when Cap hit him (as Ultron Iron Man) with the shield, Ultron lifts Cap's famous weapon from the ground and uses it to pummel Steve, backing him into a corner. Hawkeye tries to intervene, but Ultron throws the archer against a wall and then throws the shield at Hawkeye for a kill strike. It hits nothing but the wall behind Hawkeye. Confused, Ultron looks around - Hawkeye is now resting on the OTHER side of the room… and Pietro has arrived.

Quicksilver gives them a momentary boost – he accelerates simple objects around the room to super-speed and then releases them at Ultron, catching the robot by surprise. Pietro is too fast for the construct – Ultron can’t catch him. Thinking that he needs something with a bit more impact, Pietro grabs arrowheads from Hawkeye and plants them all over Ultron’s body. Cap realizes the error and shouts at him to stop, but it all happens too fast – the resulting explosion endangers the fallen Avengers, and Cap and Hawkeye are wounded in their efforts to protect Banner, Falcon, and Black Widow from the shrapnel. Pietro is able to dodge the debris… but runs right into Ultron’s grasp and is immediately knocked to the floor.

Vision watches the events unfolding and narrates to Fury. Wanda hears that “Pietro is down” and freaks out – she begin to hex uncontrollably. As reality bends around them in their makeshift HQ, Fury and Hill try to physically intervene, but Vision gently takes Wanda by the hand and asks her to channel her worry into him. Vision’s eyes light up red and he tells Fury that Wanda’s focused hex is somehow allowing him to access Ultron’s OS – it appears to have bent the % probability of success to his favor. Ultron stops – he cannot understand how the laws of mathematics have been altered. The very foundation of his essence – immutable, consistent, logical numbers – has been shaken. He decides that the Avengers are no longer his greatest threat – Wanda is – and he stands still in an effort to calculate how Vision could have broken his defense coding.

Vision reports to Tony that this is the opportunity – they must act quickly while he has Ultron contained in the construct. At first, Tony insists that they must shut the AI down and delete it completely. However, Vision says no – this would technically kill Ultron and goes against the heroism that the Avengers are known for. Although it is an artificial life, says Vision, Ultron is still “alive”. He implores them to find another solution… and quickly. Banner has awoken, and suggests placing Ultron's A.I. in a virtual prison, along with inserting an Infinite Loop code - this would keep Ultron perpetually busy in an attempt to evolve, only to find that his universe resets each day. Vision considers this acceptable, but Tony adds that this effort would take days, weeks, perhaps years to construct. Vision replies to Tony that it is already done, leaving Stark and Banner to wonder how it could be done so quickly. Vision replies that he, too, is evolving.

Conclusion: Given the new information about SHIELD and prior friction during events in Cap 2, Cap demands that Nick Fury relinquish command of SHIELD – too many secrets have been kept, and with the revelation of Galaxy police corps, the leaders of the world need to trust SHIELD and the Avengers. Maria Hill is to assume command, and Cap returns as lead of SHIELD Team 1 with Falcon and Natasha following to the East Coast Avengers tower. Banner will join them there to help with technology and science R&D.

Tony agrees to resume duties as Iron Man and lead the West Coast team, relinquishing his A.I. research to Vision, who will take over these duties and will act as “monitor” for Ultron’s virtual prison. Tony and Vision are to be joined by Hawkeye, who will coach and train Wanda and Pietro (who now feel as if they have a chance to learn more about their power and see hope with the team). Thor consents to allow Wanda to remain with them, but asks that the team select someone specifically to assist Wanda – her power will attract additional galactic attention. He then returns to Asgard.

Credits scene is Fury at a brownstone building in NY. He is seated in a well-appointed library and describes Wanda’s powers to his unseen host – some are saying that it could be a kind of chemical reaction or a byproduct of radiation. What is it? Fury quotes the famous “advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” line. His advisor on the other side of the desk is revealed to be Doctor Stephen Strange, who replies that he is inclined to disagree.

Last edited by Khonshu; 02-10-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Khonshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Default Re: A2 Treatment

That was great.

My only complaints are the characters, really. I know this is just a treatment but there wasn't really anything that set Ultron apart from any other killer robot, and given what we know about CA: TWS, I think it's unlikely that Cap, Black Widow and maybe Hawkeye and Falcon would still be buddies with SHIELD.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Cool - glad you liked it...

Old 08-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
Adder
Side-Kick

Nice work. I really liked your post credits scene. That needs to happen

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Nice Job Khonshu!

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Tony007
Side-Kick

Really Really NICE plot.

Of course I think it needs a little more explanation of Ultron's hate towards his creators but damn, pretty nice plot and the after credit scene, nice touch too.

Thank you for taking the time to write this, its really impressive

Tony007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Just_Human
Side-Kick

I wonder if the Avengers will fool Ultron by using LMD's

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
Really Really NICE plot.

Of course I think it needs a little more explanation of Ultron's hate towards his creators but damn, pretty nice plot and the after credit scene, nice touch too.

Thank you for taking the time to write this, its really impressive
Thanks, Tony - glad you liked it.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Nice Job Khonshu!
Much obliged! A compliment from a SHH long-timer means a lot!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Nice work. I really liked your post credits scene. That needs to happen
I agree - I think that Dr. Strange has the most room for creativity, fun, and coolness within the Marvel cinematic universe. The Harry Potter films have broken the ice - I think that if the story is compelling, modern movie audiences are more than ready for the concept of magic within the MCU.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

As much as I hate that there's no Pym (not your fault) that was a really solid script! Nice work!

StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
choskins
Side-Kick

Great treatment! Also, I love the post-credits scene (as has already been stated)!

choskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
As much as I hate that there's no Pym (not your fault) that was a really solid script! Nice work!
Thanks, StreetWarrior!

I agree about Hank - the ol' YellowJacket costume was one of my favorites as a young Avengers fan. I understand why they made the decision to keep him out - he'd probably get the "Hawkeye" treatment and end up being somewhat underdeveloped...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Dude, if I didn't know you in real life, I would've assumed this was Whedon posting his rough draft of A2 to test the waters. I will not be surprised when I see a lot of this happen in 2015. It's that good.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
jmd1214
Newbie First Class

i have read this at least 6 times at this point and it almost makes too much sense. The plot reads really well, flows even better, and, based on the scenarios, would theoretically give Whedon the chance to have his characters add deadpan & sarcastic one-liners at will which is one of his trademarks.

Really nice job with this. I would love to see most if not all of it come to fruition. that would be a really cool movie.

jmd1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Dude, if I didn't know you in real life, I would've assumed this was Whedon posting his rough draft of A2 to test the waters. I will not be surprised when I see a lot of this happen in 2015. It's that good.
Thanks, man. Coming from you, this is a big compliment.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd1214 View Post
i have read this at least 6 times at this point and it almost makes too much sense. The plot reads really well, flows even better, and, based on the scenarios, would theoretically give Whedon the chance to have his characters add deadpan & sarcastic one-liners at will which is one of his trademarks.

Really nice job with this. I would love to see most if not all of it come to fruition. that would be a really cool movie.
Thanks, jmd - I would LOVE to see something along these lines, if possible. I really tried to give each hero a shining moment, and man it's tough to get everyone a "plug" when there are so many awesome characters in the mix.

I agree - I'm really hoping Joss can continue to insert his sense of humor. I'm also sure that he'd say that this version has FAR too little suffering in it.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by choskins View Post
Great treatment! Also, I love the post-credits scene (as has already been stated)!
Thanks, choskins. I'd definitely like to see a segue into Dr. Strange which teases us for Phase 3, or another reference to Thanos, setting up A3.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #19
johnrain
Side-Kick

Terrific treatment. Whedon can't possibly surpass it.

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrain View Post
Terrific treatment. Whedon can't possibly surpass it.
Holy smokes, man. That's a HUGE compliment. Thanks!

(I sincerely hope that he does, somehow...)

Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

I enjoy your way of writing, well done!

Yes that story was very good, especially considering the "small" amount of text used. I donīt think thatīs how it goes down(just being honest here) but what you wrote is possible and it was good!

Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
I enjoy your way of writing, well done!

Yes that story was very good, especially considering the "small" amount of text used. I donīt think thatīs how it goes down(just being honest here) but what you wrote is possible and it was good!

Thanks, Mightyally! I'm happy you enjoyed it. I'm confident that Whedon and crew will come up with something even Mightier!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #23
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Stoked that the announcement of Bettany as Vision means that this story could really freakin' happen!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #24
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

I'm telling you, man. I think you called it.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #25
Narosian
Newbie First Class

its better that those other fake script pages that are in the other thread.

Narosian is offline   Reply With Quote