The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #251
The Endless
WE are Groot

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

How could it possibly be powered by the Tesseract when Thanos didn't have the Tesseract in the first place?

Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #252
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
How could it possibly be powered by the Tesseract when Thanos didn't have the Tesseract in the first place?
It might not have had *any* power until it was in the presence of the Tesseract.

Going on a lot of assumptions here, but it's not that much of a stretch to believe that Thanos could have created a Sceptre that would activate only in the presence of the Tesseract, an Infinity Stone he's probably had a keen interest in for eons.

But yeah, the easiest explanation is that Fury got it wrong.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #253
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yea, insomuch as we can "speculate" on the science behind these things... I don't think physical proximity would be required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It might not have had *any* power until it was in the presence of the Tesseract.

Going on a lot of assumptions here, but it's not that much of a stretch to believe that Thanos could have created a Sceptre that would activate only in the presence of the Tesseract, an Infinity Stone he's probably had a keen interest in for eons.

But yeah, the easiest explanation is that Fury got it wrong.
I'm thinking Fury made a mistake... but the mistake was that it was a different Infinity Stone that was used to power-up the staff. The Mind Stone and not the Tesseract, which I'm assuming is the Space Stone.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #254
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Yea, insomuch as we can "speculate" on the science behind these things... I don't think physical proximity would be required. I'm thinking Fury made a mistake... but the mistake was that it was a different Infinity Stone that was used to power-up the staff. The Mind Stone and not the Tesseract, which I'm assuming is the Space Stone.
I'm still not willing to go "full Mind Stone" theory on the Sceptre, though. It's just unfathomable that Thanos would glibly give away a freakin' Infinity Stone to anybody.

Of course, he might be playing a game and moving the Stones into place like pawns on a chessboard. I still believe there's evidence of that in the TDW post-credit scene. If you read between the lines on that scene, it's really about Loki bargaining with Thanos, offering Thanos (or at least his underling) the Aether Stone in exchange for the Tesseract Stone.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #255
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Thing is, the Tesseract wasn't NEAR Thanos when he gave the working Staff to Loki and the staff is how Loki got to Earth.
Loki has said to Fury "you have A Tesseract" it means there ARE more than ONE tesseract out there.
Beside the Stones are more than likely transformed into their PRESENT forms to hide them. We all saw the Infinity Guantlet, it had OVAL spots for the Stones and the Tesseract is in cube form while the Staff stone looks more like the real deal

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #256
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

on another note, Don't forget peeps, NEXT TUESDAY instead of SHIELD there's supposed to be a Marvel Special with Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers age of Ultron sneak peeks

....to every King.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #257
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
read the above. Thanos DIDN'T have the tesseract, that's why he gave the Staff to Loki, to RETREAVE the Tesseract.
and Loki told Fury like I said above "You have A tesseract" meaning there's more than one out there

....to every King.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #258
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'm still not willing to go "full Mind Stone" theory on the Sceptre, though. It's just unfathomable that Thanos would glibly give away a freakin' Infinity Stone to anybody.

Of course, he might be playing a game and moving the Stones into place like pawns on a chessboard. I still believe there's evidence of that in the TDW post-credit scene. If you read between the lines on that scene, it's really about Loki bargaining with Thanos, offering Thanos (or at least his underling) the Aether Stone in exchange for the Tesseract Stone.
No, I'm not saying the scepter IS the Mind Stone or that it houses the Mind Stone. I'm saying the scepter could be powered by the Mind Stone rather than the Tesseract.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #259
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
read the above. Thanos DIDN'T have the tesseract, that's why he gave the Staff to Loki, to RETREAVE the Tesseract.
and Loki told Fury like I said above "You have A tesseract" meaning there's more than one out there
Eh, I think you're putting too much emphasis on Fury's dialog there. If there's more than one Tesseract, then Thanos would've had his pick of places to steal it from. Ignoring that, you still have more people referring to it as "the" Tesseract than "a" Tesseract.

Plus, hasn't Feige already said that it's one of the Infinity Stones? I doubt there are a bunch of copies of it out in space.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #260
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:

When did he say A Tesseract?!!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #261
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Eh, I think you're putting too much emphasis on Fury's dialog there. If there's more than one Tesseract, then Thanos would've had his pick of places to steal it from. Ignoring that, you still have more people referring to it as "the" Tesseract than "a" Tesseract.

Plus, hasn't Feige already said that it's one of the Infinity Stones? I doubt there are a bunch of copies of it out in space.
Just because Thanos knows of ONE Tesseract, doesn't mean he knows others elsewhere in the universe or REALMS the Asgardians only know of. We don't KNOW the piece in the Staff is the WHOLE piece either. It could be what's left of a Tesseract that was misused, say By Thanos, hence the destroyed realm we've seen him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
When did he say A Tesseract?!!
During the conversation between Fury and Loki when Loki was in the Cell on the Hellicarrier

....to every King.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #262
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Cap was the one who said it worked like a Hydra weapon to which Fury said "I don't know about that". Fury knows how Tesseract energy works when weaponized, because SHIELD was working with those Hydra weapons.

I'm willing to accept that the Tesseract is the Space Gem, while the scepter contains the Mind Gem (if MCU is even going to distinguish them with those names), but what of Selvig's line about "you can't protect from yourself" when BW closes the portal using the scepter? Wouldn't that mean it has to be powered by the Tesseract? Unless Infinity Stones are only susceptible to the powers of other Infinity Stones...

Thanos could give out the Mind Gem to Loki. The Other even told him that they'd be able to find him, so at least now Thanos knows where these stones are all at. Rounding them up personally shouldn't be a hard task.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #263
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I can't wait to see what they show us next Tuesday!

....to every King.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #264
universeman
Side-Kick

It seems when we get answers to questions we get more questions then answers! anyone agree?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #265
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Well Odin Hid the Tesseract we know of on Earth during the Viking era. I'm just saying just because ONE of them is an Infinity Stone doesn't mean there AREN'T more than one Tesseract, copy or real deal

The Selvig line is another part of that equation. I still Think that what is in the Staff NOW, is what is left of A tesseract Thanos misused and he sits in that destroyed galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
Cap was the one who said it worked like a Hydra weapon to which Fury said "I don't know about that". Fury knows how Tesseract energy works when weaponized, because SHIELD was working with those Hydra weapons.

I'm willing to accept that the Tesseract is the Space Gem, while the scepter contains the Mind Gem (if MCU is even going to distinguish them with those names), but what of Selvig's line about "you can't protect from yourself" when BW closes the portal using the scepter? Wouldn't that mean it has to be powered by the Tesseract? Unless Infinity Stones are only susceptible to the powers of other Infinity Stones...

Thanos could give out the Mind Gem to Loki. The Other even told him that they'd be able to find him, so at least now Thanos knows where these stones are all at. Rounding them up personally shouldn't be a hard task.

....to every King.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #266
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 03-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #267
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Just because Thanos knows of ONE Tesseract, doesn't mean he knows others elsewhere in the universe or REALMS the Asgardians only know of. We don't KNOW the piece in the Staff is the WHOLE piece either. It could be what's left of a Tesseract that was misused, say By Thanos, hence the destroyed realm we've seen him in.
Stark also said, "We have A Hulk." I don't think that's confirmation that we have multiple Hulks running around Manhattan. It's just a style of dialog they chose to use.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #268
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Just bouncing in to ask, do you think the Thanos credit scene at the end of the Avengers was referring to Guardians of the Galaxy or to Avengers 3?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #269
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:

During the conversation between Fury and Loki when Loki was in the Cell on the Hellicarrier
i still think you're reading into it far too much buddy. Having more than one tesseract un-necessarily complicated the MCU thus far... there only needs to be one

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #270
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Think about it like this: all energy on Earth ultimately comes from the sun. This doesn't mean you have to stick each and every smart phone into the sun to power it.

The Tesseract generates and manipulates "space energy", so anything else that uses "space energy" for its operation would detect as "same kind of stuff".

Old 03-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #271
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
nice, hopefully that pans out as truth, it's what we've all suspected any way

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #272
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Chris Evans Talks Avengers 2 Script

Quote:
“[The Age of Ultron script] is great. It’s great. But I’ll tell you this: every time I’ve read a Marvel script, they surpass it. You read it and you’re like, ‘Well this is gonna be great,’ and then they make it and it’s even better. The script is great, it’s great. So if that’s any indication, I think we’re in for a good movie.”
ETA: Watch the video. The look on his face while he's talking...you can tell he wants to shout about how awesome it is, but can't.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #273
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
No, I'm not saying the scepter IS the Mind Stone or that it houses the Mind Stone. I'm saying the scepter could be powered by the Mind Stone rather than the Tesseract.
So you're saying the Mind Stone is already somewhere here on Earth? If it's powered *by* the Mind Stone, then the Mind Stone must have been nearby for Loki to use it in the Avengers and for it to be used again in the near future. Seems pretty far-fetched, but can you think of anything that hints at the Mind Stone's existence on Earth in the Avengers movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Interesting; and it's been a fairly popular theory in these threads already from awhile back. But are they suggesting it's the canonical alien origin, or a terrestrial one? (e.g., genetic manipulation)

Old 03-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #274
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
@DailySuperHero
Chris Evans has hinted that he'll be wearing a new #CaptainAmerica suit in '#Avengers: Age of Ultron.'
Something to discuss.

What Cap costume has not been adapted in some way from comics to movies?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #275
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddsy View Post
Something to discuss.

What Cap costume has not been adapted in some way from comics to movies?

Although I'm hoping we get material and design of the Shield suit in TWS, only with the classic colors and pattern.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Closed Thread