The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default Simon Kinberg Says We May See Character Born Earlier In New Timeline

Does this mean we may see Rogue, Colossus, Iceman and Shadowcat return sooner than we thought?

Some changes I want to see are Mystique raising Rogue with her partner Destiny, Mystique running a team of Government-sponsored superheroes with Valerie Cooper (which will include Multiple Man, Polaris, Strong Guy and Wolfsbane), Angel being turned into self-loathing cyborg, Colossus' family not immigrating to America which leaves him with a Russian accent, Stryker leaving the military to become a racist, homophobic anti-mutant preacher while Mister Sinister leads Weapon X in his place, Wolverine doesn't volunteer for Weapon X but is instead forcefully kidnapped, Juggernaut learning that he's the step-brother of Xavier, Lady Deathstrike not being brainwashed and leaving Weapon X to join Donald Pierce's Reavers and finally, Cyclops having a personality.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Simon Kinberg Says We May See Character Born Earlier In New Timeline

Your wrong if you suddenly think everything will be perfectly like comics.

Rogue,Colosus,Iceman,and Kitty are still bound by ending of DOFP.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Default Re: Simon Kinberg Says We May See Character Born Earlier In New Timeline

He likely just mean cyclops,jean and storm will be older then they should be, and maybe teen angel will be involved

Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
He likely just mean cyclops,jean and storm will be older then they should be, and maybe teen angel will be involved
well it's kind of already assumed the Cyclops,Jean,and storm seen in new future at end of DOFP are a youthful 50ish which could translate to 16 to 18 In
Apocalypse's 1983 setting.

Angel Is defently a possibilty now with those comments.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

A big thumbs down to this.

Ugh Simon Kinberg. Im fine with the characters getting a new history but disregarding the age, I dont like it.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
kasjan
Side-Kick

Storm was same age at begin and end of DOFP movie.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
BMM
Side-Kick

Most of the characters are. Barring the writers going to extremes, the only characters whose ages will possibly be altered are those we didn't see at the end of Days of Future Past. I have no problem with different versions of Angel, Jubilee, Psylocke, etc.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #8
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Most of the characters are. Barring the writers going to extremes, the only characters whose ages will possibly be altered are those we didn't see at the end of Days of Future Past. I have no problem with different versions of Angel, Jubilee, Psylocke, etc.
Psylocke is the big one. She kind of needs to be British and not evil and have a psychic knife to hack into people's brains with and not die either. As long as Brett Ratner isn't involved, I don't expect Fox go In Name Only with characters and we can also forget the terrible versions of Multiple Man and Juggernaut that we got. We may even get a less crappy version of Deadpool. As far as Jubilee goes, I really hate her as a character. She's a less powerful and more annoying version of Dazzler. Also, the TV version of her was more based on Boom Boom in terms of personality.

Last edited by Dasher10; 07-27-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Pretty much seals the deal on Angel methinks. Makes sense to retcon him as he was wasted in TLS, has massive ties to Apocalypse, and can be part of the original team to please comic fans.

Not too happy with it though. Changing ages feels odd to me, and it doesn't really make sense. Surely if things are changed in 1973, he could still only be born after that time? He'd have to be like 10 in an 80's set film.

Last edited by henzINNIT; 07-27-2014 at 09:34 AM.
henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Nothing they haven't already done. Monkeyed around with Styker's age. He's clearly in his late 40s/early 50s in Wolverine and in Days of Future Past, he's suddenly 30-ish.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I think the moment they put Stryker in DOFP they were not putting much thought into origins tbh

Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'm fine with Angel being retconned into the 80s. Like others have said he was wasted in X3, just pretend he wasn't there, or that his dad knocked his mum up earlier.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Nothing they haven't already done. Monkeyed around with Styker's age. He's clearly in his late 40s/early 50s in Wolverine and in Days of Future Past, he's suddenly 30-ish.
Well Bryan Singer didn't care abbout origins.He wanted a Stryker who could be
seen as younger version of Brian Cox In DOFP.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Hey, so I'm hoping this means that we can see Cable born earlier before he's sent into the future. This can lead up to the first X-Force film taking place in the late 80s/early 90s back when people knew what action really was. Rambo 2, Terminator 2, Hard Boiled, etc. I want to see a film where everyone involved thinks, "what would John Woo do?"

So if characters are being born earlier, I certainly would like to see Scott and Jean be older than the really young versions I thought I was getting.

Also, if Nightcrawler can be a bit older, I would not be opposed to Daniel Bruhl portraying him.

Last edited by Dasher10; 07-28-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
x-er
Side-Kick

They should make it Rogue but they should keep Anna Paquin:
1) She can do this character justice and deserves the chance,
2) keeping her and Hugh Jackman would preserve continuity with the original trilogy
3) Anna Paquin would do great along with Michael Fassbender (Magneto) and Gambit (her love interests from the comics) and
4) Time travel can explain any strange thing they come up with.

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-er View Post
They should make it Rogue but they should keep Anna Paquin:
1) She can do this character justice and deserves the chance,
2) keeping her and Hugh Jackman would preserve continuity with the original trilogy
3) Anna Paquin would do great along with Michael Fassbender (Magneto) and Gambit (her love interests from the comics) and
4) Time travel can explain any strange thing they come up with.
After all the complants about contunity I hear you would now have them completly ignore the ending of DOFP

Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

I'm going to assume that the only character that would legitimately play into this statement by Kinberg would be Angel. We didn't see him in the end scene of DoFP. Plus he's an integral part of the Apocalypse story (at least early on in the comics). I wouldn't mind seeing him born earlier and incorporated in Apocalypse.

Dr. Remy Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Although I'm torn between wanting to see Archangel and Wolverine as the Horseman Death, to me they need to stop mucking with the timeline. They've done what they've done and let's be honest, it's mucked up!

But, that doesn't mean they should continue to just ignore stuff. Kinberg's statement is actually (partially) kind of stupid...

“I would say in terms of making any character decisions on ‘Apocalypse’ is, we set back the clock on ‘Days of Future Past,’ so a lot could have changed from that point in 1973 forward, meaning people could have been born earlier,” Kinberg said. “The whole world changed after those events. Things that were represented even ‘X1′ and ‘X2′ and ‘X3′ wouldn’t have happened in quite the same way.”

That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid! Things don't work that way (as far as the birth of a character)!

Yes, no one can argue that "Things that were represented in ‘X1′ and ‘X2′ and ‘X3′ wouldn’t have happened in quite the same way", but births don't change. Either the character will be born (around the same time) or not. I guess it can be argued that things work however the writer wants them to, but that's not the argument (or at least not a good one). This X-Men timeline is so screwed up already, can't they just keep things as they are/should be, and deal with the consequences.

See, I agree with many that his comments likely have to do with Angel/Archangel. But I've already come up with a viable way where they could maintain the birth of the existing Angel and transform him into Archangel in a 1983 timeline.

As I've explained in another thread, simply have baby Warren "stolen" by Apocalypse or one of his agents (like Gambit, Sinister or Mystique) and have baby Warren go through the tranformation process, which includes aging. We'd see his wings grow in and then we'd see them being amputated. At the end we'd have exactly what I'm guessing they want... Archangel in 1983.

See, there is no reason to just pretend it's ok for Warren to be born 20 years earlier than he's supposed to be!

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Does this mean we may see Rogue, Colossus, Iceman and Shadowcat return sooner than we thought?

Some changes I want to see are Mystique raising Rogue with her partner Destiny, Mystique running a team of Government-sponsored superheroes with Valerie Cooper (which will include Multiple Man, Polaris, Strong Guy and Wolfsbane), Angel being turned into self-loathing cyborg, Colossus' family not immigrating to America which leaves him with a Russian accent, Stryker leaving the military to become a racist, homophobic anti-mutant preacher while Mister Sinister leads Weapon X in his place, Wolverine doesn't volunteer for Weapon X but is instead forcefully kidnapped, Juggernaut learning that he's the step-brother of Xavier, Lady Deathstrike not being brainwashed and leaving Weapon X to join Donald Pierce's Reavers and finally, Cyclops having a personality.
Conjecture.

I doubt Simon Kinberg is so crazy and foolish.

Source?

Supperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #20
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I think Kinberg's hint would apply to characters like Angel/Archangel, Psylocke, Juggernaut and basically anyone Singer hasn't used before in a full role and where he wants to do his own version rather than be constrained by Origins or X3.

Or it could apply to Nightcrawler too.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #21
x-er
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
After all the complants about contunity I hear you would now have them completly ignore the ending of DOFP
You're right! My bad
It would have to be someone who wasn't in the end sequence.

I doubt it would really matter for Nightcrawler to appear, but it would be strange for Angel to appear since he was so young in X3, so it might be him. Also, Nightcrawler and Angel would be two cool characters to contrast on film!

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #22
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well there was no telling how old Nightcrawler was In X2 so while X2 Is no longer In COntunity except for help leading up to time travel In DOFP Nightcwarler around same age as Cyclops,Jean,and storm In Apocalypse works even if they were to keep ages consent
with characters In X-men and X2.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #23
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
what about, Siryn?
if Banshee was killed sometime between 63-73 then she would have had to be born earlier (unless Banshee was her grandfather instead) in which case maybe we could get a different version of Siryn (the real Siryn) since Shauna Kain, was never called Siryn, maybe she was just Siryn's daughter (third generation mutant)

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:25 AM   #24
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think Kinberg's hint would apply to characters like Angel/Archangel, Psylocke, Juggernaut and basically anyone Singer hasn't used before in a full role and where he wants to do his own version rather than be constrained by Origins or X3.

Or it could apply to Nightcrawler too.
Nightcrawler is fine since he looked as old as James/Halle/Famke/Hugh.

But Angel? Not only he looked as young as Anna Paquin/Shawn Ashmore/Daniel Cudmore, in X3 it was shown that he's at least 10 years younger than Jean since after kid Jean scene in X3, a scene of kid Angel was shown with a label of "10 years later". Finger cross that they don't use Angel but instead just reintroduce Nightcrawler.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #25
Super Jim
Side-Kick

If Nightcrawler was say in his early to late 30's in X2, which (at least this week) took place in 2004, then in 1983 he could be anywhere between earlt teens to late teens. The point is that they wouldn't need to have him born earlier to make him work. Simply have him as a late teenager, say 18 or 19, and it works. The point is that Kinberg's statement doesn't have anything to do with Nightcrawler, obviously.

Could it be some of the more obscure characters, like Juggernaught, Psylocke or Callisto?

Sure, that's possible, though I can't see them trying to use Juggy again (he's almost ruined) and I have a feeling they're saving Psylocke for another movie. Callisto is a possibility, but that statement seems to apply to an X-Men, not an X-Men villain.

Logically, the one it seems to apply to the most, especially for this Apocalypse movie, is obviously Angel, and if they do that, have Warren born 20 years earlier with no explanation, well I'll lost a lot of respect for Kinberg and Singer!

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote