The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 04-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #151
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?" - The Original Cast Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Apocalypse may not have any OT cast Including Hugh jackman In it.

That's like doing Avengers sequel with half the cast Including Robert Downey JR not coming back.
No it's not, cause X-Men doesn't have their Avengers hit yet and more well known X-Men could very well be in Apocalypse. This is still just one main film series besides Logans solos. And both casts (with Lwrence, Mcavoy and Fassbender in main leading roles) are gonna hit the franchises strongest number in DOFP. If they were not already aware with the past two X films then people will def now know Mystique, Prof X, Wolverine and Magneto are the leads in this film franchise and by that time will be used to them all fine.

Hugh is the biggest selling point for the OT and his last film didn't make much more ww then FC and actually sold less domestically regardless of 3D. No doubt Hugh is a huge plus, but that's not comparable to the MCU since this franchise recently sold almsot the same without him.

The main thing is Apocalypse will sell heavy because it's a follow up to DOFP (granted it's well liked and big hit). Doesn't matter what cast it is at the point. Young or old. It will be the follow up and very connected. My guess is it will play very similar to the box office difference between X2 and 3. Possibly with an even greater increase if the quality is stronger this go around. The franchise should be at their peak regardless with plenty of marketable/familiar names and faces returning.

Last edited by def28; 04-01-2014 at 07:49 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #152
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?" - The Original Cast Thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
But the new ones are not signed at all yet and can hold a franchise without Mags and Mystique. Magneto and Mystique have been used plenty and Mcavoy is really the only one required to return. Everyone will have to make new deals be it new or old, but I would assume they will sign the new Scott, Jean, Strom, Gambit up for a multi pic deal. Plus Logans got it made right now. He's available everywhere when neeeded. If Singer wants him back, Hugh will more then likely show. Past or present.

Honestly it's a headache one way or the other. The OT is not gonna be the same after this film, so some of those events will be different and probably need a new set up. The first trilogy will not be as relevant with Jeans story being wrapped up in TW and the after math of DOFP. FC, TW, DOFP TW2 and XM:A will be the films most important in moving forward. All which are mainly focused on Wolverine or FC.

If this film doesn't close the OT off with a proper goodbye then they need to find focus and not flip flop in the next decade. If they want a new main cast in the past then focus on that with possible supporting roles for the OT when required with time travel (like they are doing now). If they even attempt AOA, then that's a reason for everyone to be back. But if they want the main focus with an all OT led film then they need to go that way instead now. Don't lag on making people think it's gonna be something else. That's just off.

Agreed on all points. It's a bit of a mess to be honest.

I think it's fair to say there's big support for the original cast (though the GA are probably more open to change than fans online) but there is no time to wait on these actors. A 40-yr old Marsden isn't going to bother anyone, but the female leads are pushing 50 already and hollywood isn't typically enthusiastic about women hitting this age. Add to that our 70 year old Mags and Xavier.... The series can continue beyond those who age-out and step down, but the franchise always centres on those two figure-heads so it seems unlikely.

I agree on principle that the younger cast can move on without Mags and Mystique, but in practise it's just not the same. They are 2 of the biggest characters in the franchise, and the 2 biggest casting draws in that era as well. Without Fassbender and Lawrence, suddenly the past era doesn't look so interesting. I love McAvoy, but if it's just him you're looking to retain then you might as well get Stewart back for the undemanding role of sitting in a wheelchair. The fresh casting may change things, but at this point it's easier to be enthusiastic about the faces we're already accustomed to.

I'm sure Apocalypse will make things more clear moving forward, but at this point I can't help but relate to those who are getting anxious about the original cast's future after waiting so long to see them again.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #153
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
I'm sure Apocalypse will make things more clear moving forward, but at this point I can't help but relate to those who are getting anxious about the original cast's future after waiting so long to see them again.
Completely understandable. My concerns with the franchise has always been more planning related and giving us something new. I do want things to stay focused and not go back and forth but thats really less about the cast themselves. I'm fine with either as long as things are properly set up and fresh.

Probably about time for me to give it a rest and just enjoy the one being released in under 2 months haha. Lot to enjoy this summer.

Last edited by def28; 04-01-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #154
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

How'd you feel about OT actors being used in XM:A as horsemen of the apocalypse? I've seen that idea tossed around and it sounds like a logical way to appease fans.

If Wolverine must be used in the film, I think a villain role could be a fresh twist.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #155
def28
Side-Kick

Oh yeah, Im totally cool with that. In fact, I think that is the best way to use them unless we got o AOA.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #156
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Apocalypse may not have any OT cast Including Hugh jackman In it.

That's like doing Avengers sequel with half the cast Including Robert Downey JR not coming back.
You're right and thats why I said Apocalypse might not feel bigger than X-Men: Apocalypse. And it could shy people away from seeing the movie without the more familiar faces of the franchise.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #157
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Probably won't be as much of an issue when audiences see their favourite characters are back.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #158
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

The assumption that people are going to not see X-Men: Apocalypse or that it can't be bigger than DOFP just because they are using younger versions of popular characters is ridiculous.

If DOFP knocks it out of the park, Apocalypse is going to be huge no matter who appears in it. DOFP will do the same thing for Apocalypse as X2 did for X3.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #159
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

No matter what we think of last stand it still had cast of X2 returning. APocalypse if no OT cast Is In it would be whole different ballgame.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #160
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
How'd you feel about OT actors being used in XM:A as horsemen of the apocalypse? I've seen that idea tossed around and it sounds like a logical way to appease fans.

If Wolverine must be used in the film, I think a villain role could be a fresh twist.
Interesting idea. Here's who I'd choose for Horsemen:

Death: Angel
War: Wolverine
Famine: Rogue
Pestilence: Iceman

Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #161
def28
Side-Kick

Edit

Last edited by def28; 04-02-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #162
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Probably won't be as much of an issue when audiences see their favourite characters are back.
Origins: Wolverine, First Class and The Wolverine say hello. The first one featured Wolverine, Gambit, Deadpool and Cyclops. The second one featured Professor X, Magneto, Beast, Mystique and Emma Frost. The third one featured Wolverine and Jean Grey.

Favourite characters doesn't equally guarantee bigger box-office gross.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #163
def28
Side-Kick

Im gonna try to do this without discussing casts.

Well received movies usually lead to higher grossing ones following(with the exceptions of franchises peaking). X1>X2>X3. Not well received ones lead to less. X3>XMOW>FC.

This franchise is still recovering and has yet to have an epic scaled flick. But if DOFP does that then it's likely Apocalypse will earn more. Given the scale returning cast, returning Director, mainstream names and major villain. The ante will be upped and it could very well play out box office wise like the first trilogy of films.

IF DOFP disappoints then we are back to FC level box office or worse regardless of quality or characters.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #164
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Even if X3 was still well received, Origins: Wolverine would have still earned less money than X3. Most spin-offs/prequels earned less money compare to the original series.

If Origins: Wolverine was well received, First Class would have still earned less money than X3/Origins, just because Wolverine is not in the picture and the principal cast is entirely new to the series.

First Class was well received but that didn't help The Wolverine in the U.S. and it probably earned more money worldwide just because of the over-priced 3D tickets and it was released in China.

I don't see how Apocalypse could earn more money than Days of Future Past, if 50% of the cast of Days of Future Past is missing in the picture. Then the cross-over factor and reunion factor are gone. Its back to being a period piece, back to telling a story that already happened in the past, back to showcasing younger version of the OT characters and back to featuring a new villain that is hardly familiar to the mainstream viewers.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-02-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #165
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Even if X3 was still well received, Origins: Wolverine would have still earned less money than X3. Most spin-offs/prequels earned less money compare to the original series.
X-Men Origins Wolverine was marketed as an X-Men film hence the title. With Sabertooth, Gambit, Deadpool, Emma, Prof X, Cyclops, The Blob and a list of other mutants. Look at the marketing. It could have very well matched X3's gross without the slamming it got of critics, bad wom and being leaked. It made a ****oload even with that.

Quote:

If Origins: Wolverine was well received, First Class would have still earned less money than X3/Origins, just because Wolverine is not in the picture and the principal cast is entirely new to the series.
Nope, First Class grossed more then The Wolverine Domestically and if FC was in 3D that ww gross would have been larger. As you point out below. The X-Men franchise took a hard hit with Origins.
Quote:
First Class was well received but that didn't help The Wolverine in the U.S. and it probably earned more money worldwide just because of the over-priced 3D tickets and it was released in China.
That's cause the last Wolverine was a pos, and TW film only relied on him and was an even smaller film. People knew the last time a film starred Logan and had Wolverine in the title it sucked. Also shows you the X-Men franchise doesn't need their biggest OG member to make dough. Both did fine considering, but Fox needed to clear the name of X-Men and Wolverine. They did it with X-Men: First Class first and then The Wolveirne.

The next Wolverine film and X-Men: First Class are gonna make more due to both these good films.
Quote:
I don't see how Apocalypse could earn more money than Days of Future Past, if 50% of the cast of Days of Future Past is missing in the picture. Then the cross-over factor and reunion factor are gone. Its back to being a period piece, back to telling a story that already happened in the past, back to showcasing younger version of the OT characters and back to featuring a new villain that is hardly familiar to the mainstream viewers.
Doesn't matter. Apocalypse will have plenty of returning casts members. Your personal preference in casts is getting in the way here alot. Apocalypse is gonna look huge and be a direct follow up with enough familiar faces/names/Crew etc. Probably old and new. It's more then likely gonna be a larger film then DOFP. With even more well known X-Men. Singer is not gonna go smaller scale here. He's gonna compete with himself as well as others.

Last edited by def28; 04-03-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #166
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
X-Men Origins Wolverine was marketed as an X-Men film hence the title. With Sabertooth, Gambit, Deadpool, Emma, Prof X, Cyclops, The Blob and a list of other mutants. Look at the marketing. It could have very well matched X3's gross without the slamming it got of critics, bad wom and being leaked. It made a ****oload even with that.
It still didn't outgross X3. Even if both movies were good, X3 would have earned more money and that is expected given that the film wasn't a spin-off.

Quote:
Nope, First Class grossed more then The Wolverine Domestically and if FC was in 3D that ww gross would have been larger. As you point out below. The X-Men franchise took a hard hit with Origins.
I didn't say The Wolverine outgrossed First Class in the U.S. I said Origins did.

Quote:
That's cause the last Wolverine was a pos, and TW film only relied on him and was an even smaller film. People knew the last time a film starred Logan and had Wolverine in the title it sucked. Also shows you the X-Men franchise doesn't need their biggest OG member to make dough. Both did fine considering, but Fox needed to clear the name of X-Men and Wolverine. They did it with X-Men: First Class first and then The Wolveirne. The next Wolverine film and X-Men: First Class are gonna make more due to both these good films.
Whatever your reasons are, a good movie doesn't guarantee that the next X-film will suddenly get a boost. For The Wolverine, it wasn't the case in the U.S.

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Apocalypse will have plenty of returning casts members. Your personal preference in casts is getting in the way here alot. Apocalypse is gonna look huge and be a direct follow up with enough familiar faces/names/Crew etc. Probably old and new. It's more then likely gonna be a larger film then DOFP. With even more well known X-Men. Singer is not gonna go smaller scale here. He's gonna compete with himself as well as others.
Plenty of returning casts members. LOL. Jennifer, James, Nicholas and Michael? Thats just 4. If you include Hugh, Evans and Lucas, thats 7. 7 out out of the 18 cast members of Days of Future Past. Thats not plenty.

And no my personal preference is not getting in the way here. I'm also using the box-office performance of the previous X-Men movies to predict whether if the next film is gonna be big or not. As statistics show, people were less interested with the films that didn't feature the OT cast.

And again you keep telling Apocalypse is gonna be bigger or not. Could you actually list down a list why Apocalypse is gonna be bigger compare to what DOFP has to offer:

1. 2 cast coming together
2. First film featuring the original cast together in 8 years.
3. Sentinels.
4. Dystopian future.
5. Time travel.
6. 2 time periods.

Heck and don't even get me started to say the stakes for DOFP, as the movie is dealing with the future of mutantkind.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-03-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #167
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
It still didn't outgross X3. Even if both movies were good, X3 would have earned more money and that is expected given that the film wasn't a spin-off.

I didn't say The Wolverine outgrossed First Class in the U.S. I said Origins did.

Whatever your reasons are, a good movie doesn't guarantee that the next X-film will suddenly get a boost. For The Wolverine, it wasn't the case in the U.S.
You missed the points of everything I said.

Quote:
Plenty of returning casts members. LOL. Jennifer, James, Nicholas and Michael? Thats just 4. If you include Hugh, Evans and Lucas, thats 7. 7 out out of the 18 cast members of Days of Future Past. Thats not plenty.
Yeah it is. Mainly because these supporting players don't carry the films and are mostly here for powers only.

Quote:
And again you keep telling Apocalypse is gonna be bigger or not. Could you actually list down a list why Apocalypse is gonna bigger than DOFP what has to offer:

1. 2 cast coming together
2. First film featuring the original cast together in 8 years.
3. Sentinels.
4. Dystopian future.
5. Time travel.

Heck and don't even get me started to say the stakes for DOFP, as the movie is dealing with the future of mutantkind.
1.Bigger/most hyped villain
2. More time travel/epic mythology for Mutans
3.More popular X-Men
4. Will be following a bigger film then DOFP is
Quote:
Singer said that Apocalypse will offer “more of the mass destruction that X-Men films, to date, have not relied upon. There’s definitely now a character and a story that allow room for that kind of spectacle.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...re-mass-688693

Edit: This really should have been a simple point that sequels have a high potential to follow up with a more successful box office granted the prior film is well received by the audience. Really not that crazy of a notion. Don't care about the box office pissing match as long as it's a success.

The lack of confidence here about X-Men characters and potentially huge storylines themselves is really what's odd and confusing to me. Shouldn't matter who's playing them, or if there's 15 instead instead of 25 mutants . As long as they continue the story without being a cluster ****, develop X-men who have been overlooked for over a decade and amp up the action it's all good.

Last edited by def28; 04-03-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 AM   #168
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

1. Again, Apocalypse is not as popular as you think to mainstream viewers. He might be big in the X-Men universe, but he's no Magneto to the mainstream viewers, well not yet.
2. There's no indication of time-travel happening to Apocalypse, so you're just making it up
3. More popular X-Men yet less mutants.
4. Just because its a follow to DOFP, it doesn't mean its automatically gonna break records at the box-office.
5. More mass destruction doesn't equal to more viewers. The scale might be bigger but still DOFP takes the cake for having a bigger cast and as for stake, whats the stake for Apocalypse. Its probably the X-Men again taking a mutant villain. Not that refreshing compare to DOFP.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #169
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

XM:A is an unproven commodity at this point, it's unfair to compare it to any film in the series. It's unlikely it'll experience a drop-off like last time the OT cast were dropped, because the franchise has moved on to some extent and it is still a sequel to the larger chunk of DOFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Interesting idea. Here's who I'd choose for Horsemen:

Death: Angel
War: Wolverine
Famine: Rogue
Pestilence: Iceman
I'd be down for those choices.

Last edited by henzINNIT; 04-03-2014 at 03:51 AM.
henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #170
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

untill we see DOFp or reviews start popping up with spoilers hard to know what
ending means for future.

If DOFP earns 221 Million domesticly as Boxoffice.com predicted a large part will
be because of return of OT cast. noone can deny In poster,trailers,and new videos lots of OT cast. and you have wolverine In key role In past

Last Stand had the cast returning as will age of ultron while Apocalypse might only have the big 4 from first class returning.That would be like age of ultron only having cap,BW,and haweye returning maybe the hulk returning too.

If they contunine to make X-Men films aperoid piece any spin-offs In future will be In past as well as FF.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #171
Great Mind(s)
Broken

apocalypse might not be an event movie like DOFP or The avengers it might be smaller more like Winter Soldier which will lead to another crossover.

Great Mind(s) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #172
def28
Side-Kick

Edit: Not worth it.

Last edited by def28; 04-03-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #173
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
apocalypse might not be an event movie like DOFP or The avengers it might be smaller more like Winter Soldier which will lead to another crossover.
Gotta be kidding. Jesus. For this franchise, Apocalypse IS an event. PERIOD. Singer & TPTB will be going for bigger and better. NOT smaller.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #174
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Agreed.

And just knowing which cast members are gonna come back, you could kinda guess/speculate/tell whether if its gonna be bigger than the last movie. The only way I see Apocalypse topping Days of Future Past is if it features the same cast of DOFP and with more end-of-the-world scenarios in both time periods. But no, we are probably getting 4 to 7 cast members from DOFP, 1 time period which is the past, the 80s and an origin story (like again) for a couple of characters.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #175
HIA
Side-Kick

A movie with Xavier, young Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, Havok, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Magneto, Mystique, Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch, Apocalypse and maybe the horsemen too screams bit hit to me.

It doesnt need to make the same money as Dofp, as long as it makes more than its budget, in a similar way as past movies, Fox will keep doing sequels, lol. So I dont see where is the problem

HIA is online now   Reply With Quote