The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #226
speno94
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 16

There is a press screening on the 10th and 12th March next week.

Do you think we will hear initial twitter reactions like Avengers and Iron Man 3? I think the official reviews are embargoed until the 18th, but I'm sure we will hear twitter reactions on Monday.

Plus, if it is a great film, I'm sure they will want to build up the buzz like they did with the Avengers and release some reviews slightly earlier.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #227
DarkPhoenix82
Side-Kick

Press screening on Monday at 8 pm CET here, yep. Twitter, tumblr and this forum won't be save from me, at least. And yep, full embargo is on at least until 18th.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #228
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Oh wow! What an interesting read. The funny thing is, I never check the reader reviews for movies. I actually only look at the critic's reviews. But even then it's out of curiosity and hope that the movie is doing well.

Really food for thought, there!
The study really makes sense when you consider how many blockbusters have poor or mediocre RT scores yet do very well at the box office. Take Man of Steel, for example. That film was blasted by critics, but it did very well both here and abroad. Only 56% of critics liked it, while 76% of RT users did. The box office for MOS more closely reflects the fact that the audience overwhelmingly enjoyed it rather than the critics' consensus. That's how it is for most films.

The reason Flixter scores correlate to box office performance probably boils down to word of mouth and the difference between films that please the general audience and those critics tend to adore. It's the gulf that separates popular taste from the supposedly more refined preferences of the professional reviewers. (Not that all of RT's critics are professional or even rational, but that's another matter altogether.)

Old 03-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #229
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Does the 'embargo' mean no one can talk about it until the 18th? How will they enforce that if no one signs an NDA? Or does it just mean the 'reviews' can't be shown until the 18th?

Here I go asking questions again...

Old 03-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #230
DarkPhoenix82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
Does the 'embargo' mean no one can talk about it until the 18th? How will they enforce that if no one signs an NDA? Or does it just mean the 'reviews' can't be shown until the 18th?

Here I go asking questions again...
That's always a little different. With Iron Man 3, they told us "you can tease a little, but don't give away everything". Our Thor 2 screening took place 1 day before world premier in London and they said, from tomorrow on we can do whatever the **** we want. This time it's very explicit on the invitation already that there can't be any review until 21st (German region), though I think I'll be a little less strict with that since other countries are only limited to 18th. I'll be sure to ask the press agency in the cinema on Monday how to handle spoilers and tiny bits of information, since these aren't mentioned in the invitation.

You sign for your agency when you enter the press viewing, and you have the invitation which tells you your limitations. No one who doesn't want to be excluded from future viewings won't break that just for fun. There's both your name and your employer on the list, so they will know if you **** it up.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #231
MynAmeIsedDie90
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The study really makes sense when you consider how many blockbusters have poor or mediocre RT scores yet do very well at the box office. Take Man of Steel, for example. That film was blasted by critics, but it did very well both here and abroad. Only 56% of critics liked it, while 76% of RT users did. The box office for MOS more closely reflects the fact that the audience overwhelmingly enjoyed it rather than the critics' consensus. That's how it is for most films.
Well, yes a blockbuster movie can do well at the box office even with bad reviews, but obviously it'd perform much better if it was critically acclaimed. I think it really does make a difference. Some of my friends who aren't really into those big action special effects driven movies expressed interest in seeing movies like Avatar and The Dark Knight because "critics loved them" and they didn't want to miss out. And personally, I was really looking forward to the Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim, and White House Dawn last summer but because they weren't anything special I didn't even bother to check them out. There are more and more people today that don't want to spend $10 on a bad movie.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #232
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MynAmeIsedDie90 View Post
Well, yes a blockbuster movie can do well at the box office even with bad reviews, but obviously it'd perform much better if it was critically acclaimed. I think it really does make a difference. Some of my friends who aren't really into those big action special effects driven movies expressed interest in seeing movies like Avatar and The Dark Knight because "critics loved them" and they didn't want to miss out. And personally, I was really looking forward to the Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim, and White House Dawn last summer but because they weren't anything special I didn't even bother to check them out. There are more and more people today that don't want to spend $10 on a bad movie.
That's funny, cause the people I know tend to go see a movie for three reasons:
1. They're bored and have seen the other new movies.
2. A friend told them to go see it.
3. They thought it 'looked cool' or 'looked good' in a trailer or TV-spot.

Most of them probably don't even know about online sites that review movies. From my assumptions, the GA wants to be catered to big action and 'cool' movies (which is fine). Transformers, GI Joe, Iron Man, Avengers, and other such movies are generally considered 'cool' and action-packed so the people I know just want to see them cause of that.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #233
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Quote:

Most of them probably don't even know about online sites that review movies. From my assumptions, the GA wants to be catered to big action and 'cool' movies (which is fine). Transformers, GI Joe, Iron Man, Avengers, and other such movies are generally considered 'cool' and action-packed so the people I know just want to see them cause of that.
These factors may work in the OW, but generally a movie has to have good reviews and/or great WOM to have longevity at the box office, and that is needed if it wants to make real bank. Just OW isn't enough for most blockbusters.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 03-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #234
MynAmeIsedDie90
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
These factors may work in the OW, but generally a movie has to have good reviews and/or great WOM to have longevity at the box office, and that is needed if it wants to make real bank. Just OW isn't enough for most blockbusters.
What is OW?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #235
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

Your friends are typical of the general audience as a whole. The Google study found that people often choose to go to a movie on the spur of the moment and search online for what's open, looks good and has some buzz. This is why word of mouth and social media buzz is critical, even after the opening weekend. When people talk about a film's quality that influences opinion, whether the chatter is positive or negative.

People search for trailers and ads much more than fans on sites like these assume that they do, which makes sense when some trailers get tens of millions of views. That many views can't be generated by fans alone since we make up a very small percentage of the audience. Looking at trailers gives people an idea of whether they will like a film, which is what they are designed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
True, but it's word of mouth that indicates a film's long-term prospects, not reviews. A Flixter user score of 50% and above is one predictor of good performance in subsequent weekend as that reflects good WOM. Even the critically-reviled Transformers: ROTF mustered 58% on Flixter and went past $400 million domestically.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #236
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
What is OW?
OW stands for Opening Weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000
Your friends are typical of the general audience as a whole. The Google study found that people often choose to go to a movie on the spur of the moment and search online for what's open, looks good and has some buzz. This is why word of mouth and social media buzz is critical, even after the opening weekend. When people talk about a film's quality that influences opinion, whether the chatter is positive or negative.

People search for trailers and ads much more than fans on sites like these assume that they do, which makes sense when some trailers get tens of millions of views. That many views can't be generated by fans alone since we make up a very small percentage of the audience. Looking at trailers gives people an idea of whether they will like a film, which is what they are designed to do.
Indeed, my friends are part of the GA, which is where I get most of my perspective from. Everything you just said I agree with. Some of them view trailers, but most of them just decide to go watch something for the aforementioned reasons (just to see it, heard good things, etc).

The GA, or at least the people around here, don't really pay much attention to scores.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #237
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Was this posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLNJJDN0XP4&noredirect=1

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #238
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Yep, previous page but still a nice refresher. Loved all the new little snippets of action we see of CA.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #239
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Looks great. I'm loving the scenes showcasing Cap's fighting ability. This movie just looks incredible. I don't care how horrible the movie is, there's no way you can deny these fights look cool.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #240
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Ugh, I figured. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up for something new. But yeah, cool new bits there.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #241
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
True, but it's word of mouth that indicates a film's long-term prospects, not reviews. A Flixter user score of 50% and above is one predictor of good performance in subsequent weekend as that reflects good WOM. Even the critically-reviled Transformers: ROTF mustered 58% on Flixter and went past $400 million domestically.
Basically what all these movies should aim for is that coveted A or A+ Cinemascore. I'm not sure whether any movie's reached A+ levels, but Avengers sure seemed like it came really, really close with an A. If it gets that high on OW, it should be a good indicator of what it's legs will be.

Although, typically, CBMs are front-loaded from they're OW gross. If CA:TWS maintains a below 60% drop its second week, we'll know this thing's got good legs I think.

(I'm no B.O. expert, but that's what I've gathered from following box office returns for years now.)

Old 03-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #242
MynAmeIsedDie90
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Ugh, I figured. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up for something new. But yeah, cool new bits there.
I didn't see it yet. Thanks! Man this is Captain America brought to life. I wish he fought like this in Avengers.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #243
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Basically what all these movies should aim for is that coveted A or A+ Cinemascore. I'm not sure whether any movie's reached A+ levels, but Avengers sure seemed like it came really, really close with an A. If it gets that high on OW, it should be a good indicator of what it's legs will be.

Although, typically, CBMs are front-loaded from they're OW gross. If CA:TWS maintains a below 60% drop its second week, we'll know this thing's got good legs I think.

(I'm no B.O. expert, but that's what I've gathered from following box office returns for years now.)
I'm pretty sure Avengers got A+ Cinemascore.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #244
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I'm pretty sure Avengers got A+ Cinemascore.
A quick Googling showed that it did. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #245
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
I didn't see it yet. Thanks! Man this is Captain America brought to life. I wish he fought like this in Avengers.
Yeah, this movie is everything a Captain America should be. It really captures everything you would imagine Cap being.

TFA was an alright movie, but I didn't feel that it captured the WWII element we're all familiar with. There was way to much science-fiction involved with HYDRA, and I had expected it to be more of Cap leading Allied soldiers into battle against the Nazis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78

Huh... I never knew about Cinemascore. Thanks for mentioning this, I'm going to check their site out.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #246
doglee80
Side-Kick

When are the full on spoilers going to be posted? That's what I'm waiting for! I have no self control

Old 03-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #247
MynAmeIsedDie90
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Yeah, this movie is everything a Captain America should be. It really captures everything you would imagine Cap being.

TFA was an alright movie, but I didn't feel that it captured the WWII element we're all familiar with. There was way to much science-fiction involved with HYDRA, and I had expected it to be more of Cap leading Allied soldiers into battle against the Nazis.
I agree with you completely. I wanted it to be an Indiana Jones-type adventure war film. It started off really well, but the science fiction aspect kind of ruined the second half for me. They squandered the opportunity to really show Cap's elevated tactical sense in the midst of battle.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #248
antdogs
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglee80 View Post
When are the full on spoilers going to be posted? That's what I'm waiting for! I have no self control
cant wait to see how the ties into age of ultron!

Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #249
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
I agree with you completely. I wanted it to be an Indiana Jones-type adventure war film. It started off really well, but the science fiction aspect kind of ruined the second half for me. They squandered the opportunity to really show Cap's elevated tactical sense in the midst of battle.
I'd have preferred the Red Skull getting the cube to make something more rare. I think if you put on some WWII-themed Nazi uniforms on the HYDRA soldiers, and then replaced all their weapons with conventional firearms of the period, the movie would have been a lot better.

All those lasers and stuff just... it was misplaced.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #250
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

I loved the lasers and stuff! What piece of retro sci-fi DOESN'T have lasers?!?

Closed Thread