The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #251
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I loved the lasers and stuff! What piece of retro sci-fi DOESN'T have lasers?!?
"Terminator Salvation" and "Back to the Future" apparently.lol

Old 03-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #252
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

"Terminator Salvation" and "Back to the Future" apparently.lol
But, the first 2 Terminator films DID have lasers. They were awesome. Salvation was garbage. See the correlation: LASERS ARE COOL!!!!

BttF is a good example though. Touche!

Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #253
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I loved the lasers. I really enjoyed the sci fi/history mix that was going on.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #254
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Batroc looks so cool I hope he is a reoccurring villain in the MCU.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #255
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrin Parker View Post
Batroc looks so cool I hope he is a reoccurring villain in the MCU.
I hear he
Gets captured, so.... maybe?

I really like GSP, so I'm with you on that.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #256
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

I donīt know if you remember but I started a discussion earlier about Dethlok moving that bulldozer. Well, seems AoS does it again...Have you seen the insane powerlevels Lorelei shows us in the next episode?

That was insane. Way above Cap, it has to be magic and not physical force right? I will be very dissapointed if that was a physical feat.

I couldnīt find the video (perhaps someone else here can) but there is a scene of a biker, Lorelei and her first slave. She throws the first slave away like when Hulk hit Thor from the side in TA. I mean that looked like Thor powerlevels lol.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #257
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Even common Asgardians as a rule are far stronger and more durable than humans. I didn't see anything overpowered about it, personally. We *would* be ragdolls to them.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #258
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

It is true they are far superior in terms of most aspects. That was however pretty darn powerful..I just got the feeling it was far beyond that of an ordinary Asgardian and as I understand it it she uses magic. So in terms of physical powers she shouldnīt be stronger than an ordinary asgardian?

On the other hand Loki didnīt feel Capīs punches very much, but I just felt that scene was extremely exaggerated you know?. Since the episode hasnīt aired yet itīs impossible to judge completely but we will see

Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #259
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Batroc looks awesome.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #260
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
It is true they are far superior in terms of most aspects. That was however pretty darn powerful..I just got the feeling it was far beyond that of an ordinary Asgardian and as I understand it it she uses magic. So in terms of physical powers she shouldnīt be stronger than an ordinary asgardian?

On the other hand Loki didnīt feel Capīs punches very much, but I just felt that scene was extremely exaggerated you know?. Since the episode hasnīt aired yet itīs impossible to judge completely but we will see
Hmm... I didn't much like that in the movie. Thor could contend with Loki, Stark could contend with Loki, Hulk could contend with Loki... but not Cap. I know Cap shouldn't have just mopped the floor with Loki, and I think it's great that we saw the 'Asgardian' shine through Loki, but I kind of wish Cap used his superior skill and talent to outdo him. Sometimes it's not just about strength that matters; strength doesn't count for much when you can't use it.

I felt Cap definitely got the short-end of the stick in the Avengers. It doesn't matter that he got the most screentime, cause by the end of the movie anything he does isn't really memorable. But since he's getting a 'tune up' in TWS, he may have more... entertaining scenes.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #261
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
Hmm... I didn't much like that in the movie. Thor could contend with Loki, Stark could contend with Loki, Hulk could contend with Loki... but not Cap. I know Cap shouldn't have just mopped the floor with Loki, and I think it's great that we saw the 'Asgardian' shine through Loki, but I kind of wish Cap used his superior skill and talent to outdo him. Sometimes it's not just about strength that matters; strength doesn't count for much when you can't use it.

I felt Cap definitely got the short-end of the stick in the Avengers. It doesn't matter that he got the most screentime, cause by the end of the movie anything he does isn't really memorable. But since he's getting a 'tune up' in TWS, he may have more... entertaining scenes.
I was ok that he couldn't just punch his way through Loki, but friggin Stark showed up before Steve could use any smarts.

And then came the helicarrier scene where a pair of mooks kept him pinned down and virtually useless, where he fired that assault rifle like he'd never held a weapon before in his life. He should have ate those guys for breakfast.

But it was made up for a bit in the last half, and he certainly seems to be hitting his stride in Cap 2.

I like to think he was weakened and had not yet fully recovered from being recently thawed out during Avengers. It's just fanwankery but it works for me.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #262
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Cap made up for it with saving those innocent people in the bank. Man I LOVE it when the movies show the heroes saving individual people. Like Cap with the bank hostages or Stark with the plane crash

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #263
Pond
Side-Kick

In Avengers CA was very insecure about his role as a hero in a modern world he did not understand. The whole germany scene was build around the idea that once upon a time, he was the one that punched Hitler in the face; nowadays, the new Hitler was actually stronger than him and the new Captain America was Iron man. THe paralels were clear. Loki even told him to be the man out of time. Cap retorted back, but he was "proven" wrong. That scene was a genuine replica of his old persona as "the guy that gets the dictator out of germany", the Hitler puncher, and worked on the basis of him failing to do exactly what he used to do best while his aparent substitute triumphed.

In that scene he had to look weak. He probably felt weak. He couldnt be at his best. That was his arc: he was, and is, a hero. A relevant hero, even today. But that was his journey. So Avengers wasnt the best place to expect CA at his best at least until the end. Ultron probably will.

As for Stark handling Loki, i doubt it. That was a clever way to get captured, as he wanted, and get CA to feel useless as a bonus, pretended to be defeated at first blow. He didnt seem to be that miffed about Iron mans attack, even after the "His name was Phil" scene. Loki could handle Thor for a while, and Thor seemed just to be annoyed by Iron man, so i dont know about him handing Loki.

As for the helicarrier scene, the important part was to have Iron Man and Cap to work together as a team proving both ready to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. CA had to be in a compromised position at that point that made it impossible for him to anhilitae his enemies with ease so that he would need Stark to save him as he was saving Stark by risking his butt to pull the lever, so that they both could risk theire lives and be fundamental to save the other. Team work. Necesary Team Work.A perfect way to bring this two together and cut theyre "brotherly rivalry" BS. And i think having him obsessing over the leaver instead of eating thgese two for breakfats when his posiition was compromised and risking his life could mean adieu to Stark was very CA.

Last edited by Pond; 03-08-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #264
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Basically what all these movies should aim for is that coveted A or A+ Cinemascore. I'm not sure whether any movie's reached A+ levels, but Avengers sure seemed like it came really, really close with an A. If it gets that high on OW, it should be a good indicator of what it's legs will be.

Although, typically, CBMs are front-loaded from they're OW gross. If CA:TWS maintains a below 60% drop its second week, we'll know this thing's got good legs I think.

(I'm no B.O. expert, but that's what I've gathered from following box office returns for years now.)
It's true that CBMs tend to be front-loaded due to their high opening weekend grosses. However, CATFA was less front-loaded than most. It made $65 million its first weekend and went on to earn $176 million, which gives it a 2.7 multiplier. Iron Man 3, in contrast, had around a 2.3 multiplier. It's a lot to ask for but I'm rooting for a similar 2.7 multiplier (or better) for TWS. With an opening in the mid $90 million range it would top $250 million with that sort of multi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
I donīt know if you remember but I started a discussion earlier about Dethlok moving that bulldozer. Well, seems AoS does it again...Have you seen the insane powerlevels Lorelei shows us in the next episode?

That was insane. Way above Cap, it has to be magic and not physical force right? I will be very dissapointed if that was a physical feat.

I couldnīt find the video (perhaps someone else here can) but there is a scene of a biker, Lorelei and her first slave. She throws the first slave away like when Hulk hit Thor from the side in TA. I mean that looked like Thor powerlevels lol.
Look up Sif in the Marvel wiki. She is said to be able to press 30 tons. Lorelei has similar strength, which would be more than enough to send a human flying like a ragdoll.

ETA: I don't get why the Captain America/Loki fight in TA upsets some people. Loki is and should be far stronger than Cap. It would have been shocking if Cap had been able to go toe-to-toe with Loki, frankly. The disparity in their physical strength is enormous.

I was much more upset that Loki was able to hold his own with Thor and even get the better of his brother. Thor is canonically twice as strong as Loki so their fight at Stark Tower shouldn't even have been a contest. Happily, this was explained away in TDW by Thor telling Loki that he held back in their fights but could and would kill him if need be.

Last edited by xeno000; 03-08-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #265
Minxie
Side-Kick

New posters here! I love them! Those were just photographed on the streets of L.A. - I don't think official versions have been released yet.

The focus on the Winter Soldier's red star gives me hope that the Soviet background for the character is still there. I know the featurettes were saying
Hydra is the one behind him but I'm hoping that they'll say the Soviets got him first, or at least controlled him throughout the Cold War, and then when the USSR fell he was claimed by Hydra or something. Lol I'm just really attached to the Winter Soldier canon. ^__^

Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #266
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxie View Post
New posters here! I love them! Those were just photographed on the streets of L.A. - I don't think official versions have been released yet.

The focus on the Winter Soldier's red star gives me hope that the Soviet background for the character is still there. I know the featurettes were saying
Hydra is the one behind him but I'm hoping that they'll say the Soviets got him first, or at least controlled him throughout the Cold War, and then when the USSR fell he was claimed by Hydra or something. Lol I'm just really attached to the Winter Soldier canon. ^__^
It looks like they've just taken the character posters, recolored them and added background images.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #267
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
It looks like they've just taken the character posters, recolored them and added background images.

Hee! It does. But I do like that they're doing something a little more arty with the posters.

I don't remember them doing this with IM3 or T:TDW. GET IT, CAP!!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #268
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

They're actually kinda cool.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #269
Minxie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Hee! It does. But I do like that they're doing something a little more arty with the posters.

I don't remember them doing this with IM3 or T:TDW. GET IT, CAP!!
It's stylish in a way that I really appreciate - the use of the character's symbols and the red color scheme linking them all.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #270
Lightsplasher
Side-Kick

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I was ok that he couldn't just punch his way through Loki, but friggin Stark showed up before Steve could use any smarts.

And then came the helicarrier scene where a pair of mooks kept him pinned down and virtually useless, where he fired that assault rifle like he'd never held a weapon before in his life. He should have ate those guys for breakfast.

But it was made up for a bit in the last half, and he certainly seems to be hitting his stride in Cap 2.

I like to think he was weakened and had not yet fully recovered from being recently thawed out during Avengers. It's just fanwankery but it works for me.
This is exactly what I meant when I said he wasn't very present , not in screentime but THIS .
For the weapons , it's kinda strange because in TFA you see him using weapons sometimes (In the War Sequence ) but in The Avengers , he indeed , doesn't know how to use them , but it's probably because he wasn't trained for firearms . From what the promo shows (especially the 4 min-clip ) , it seems we'll have MUCH MUCH better action scenes .

Last edited by Lightsplasher; 03-09-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #271
universeman
Side-Kick

Indeed looking forward to it out of all the MS movies coming out this year this is the one I been waiting for!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #272
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

You know, I kind of have to give credit to Marvel and JJ for casting Sebastian Stan as Bucky in TFA in the first place, likely with the kernel or nugget of the idea that they'd eventually get around to telling the Winter Soldier story. And they kept him, they did NOT recast him with a bigger name actor or something. I just think that'd be something other studios would've done probably, as WS is one of Marvel's marquee villains and Stan isn't really a big name actor. He's great, but he really isn't well known, even by the people who watched the first Captain America movie.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed my friend gets her advanced screening tickets for the 20th. I'm so jealous of her, but I'm also desperate to get any and all tidbits from her that I can, LOL!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #273
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Cap made up for it with saving those innocent people in the bank. Man I LOVE it when the movies show the heroes saving individual people. Like Cap with the bank hostages or Stark with the plane crash
Plus Cap was handling himself against the Chitari quite well. See the scene on top of the car (and then the cops listen to his orders). The fight with Loki got interrupted. I think Cap would have performed better once he knew what his advantages/disadvantages were. Early on, he didn't know. So, I'm okay with it. Especially since he was very much in command once they hit New York.

I think the part with the gun is a more valid complaint, but again (you needed him to struggle to free Stark to add tension)...I see WHY it was done. Just, maybe should have been more than 1 guy shooting at him.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #274
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

On the subject of Cap's abilities in Avengers:

Some people dismiss it as him being 'rusty', but I know that Whedon wasn't doing that.

If I had written the movie, I would have shown Cap fighting the mind-controlled SHIELD agents, Iron Man trying to distract the Hulk, and have Thor in a battle with Loki, while Widow tried to free Hawkeye.

And then in New York, I would have shown Cap fighting off those Chituari on that street; instead we got a few seconds of him doing something; meanwhile you see extended shots of Iron Man blasting dozens of their ships, Thor and Hulk taking out dozens of them.

Cap actually took out quite a bit of Chitauri; just on his own he cleared that entire street, plus there's no telling how many he fought alongside Thor. But on-screen, Cap only killed a few, I'd wager less than 15. He's largely absent by the end of the battle. I saw a clip of when Thor and Cap was back-to-back, and the scene was a lot longer. Instead we saw Cap hit 1 Chitauri and then he got shot down; the actual clip had him and Thor working together to take out much more.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #275
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:

No, Stark couldn't contend with Loki. Neither of the repulsor blasts that he hit Loki with hurt Loki AT ALL. He got knocked down and then got right back up completely unharmed. The only reason why he got caught in Germany was because he WANTED to be caught. Also, I would have called BS if Cap were able to beat Loki. I don't care how skilled or smart he is, in a battle between man and god, god wins, period.

Closed Thread