The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #151
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 16

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this but there is some good witty banter between Steve and Sam. They have good chemistry and there is a lot of humour in this flick (Avengers type humour). Humour haters are gonna have a field day with this one. I'm surprised no one is complaining about Cap's "I had a big breakfast" line which is admist the final battle which is suppose to serious and tense.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #152
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
ARRRRRGH!! I think it's just under a month for us states-side.

I can't believe I already got tickets for the IMAX in SF. And for friends too. I NEVER BUY MOVIE TICKETS A MONTH IN ADVANCE WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!
yeah, my thing is that I can't go see it opening day (pesky work and other things going on that day), so I have to wait until that first Saturday. Normally when we go see movies on Saturdays we try to go for a morning showing (if not the first showing of the day)... however, due to another commitment that day, we have to wait for something after 4pm (but we still want it before 6pm since I really don't want to pay evening prices).... so I'm stuck waiting to get tickets until they put more showtimes up for my theater *sigh* First world problems

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #153
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Quote:
Plus, Stark *is* a sarcastic and snarky bastard. That's just part of his personality. If he didn't crack jokes even in his darkest hours, he wouldn't be him.

And RDJ pulls that off so beautifully because he can convey a lot beyond just his mere snark. Because, y'know… acting.
RDJ's greatest feat (in IM1 & IM3 mostly) has been pulling off that bravado with lots of vulnerability behind it. It comes in the form of both snark and chest-thumping. Some fans don't seem to realize the basic subtext behind them - they wonder why he'd do something so foolish like invite a terrorist to his house without a game plan and then cheer for the uber-awesomeness of his plan of attack for the God of Thunder being "Attack."

Without these little differentiations, it'd make the contrast between him and someone like Cap (see how I brought it back around? ) not as strong and it'd be much more lame watching the two of them go over battle plans like co-generals, as much as I know some fans would love to see that.

It makes me wonder how Cap's emotions will interfere with his strategizing in this - at least with Bucky in the picture. He'll be tested to bring his emotions into things, whereas Stark is more likely to be tested to cast his emotions out.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #154
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
The clip from Silvermoons sig alone proves this don't look like no tv show, love the look of that.
Do you mean my avi? (which is courtesy of TheIrishAvenger btw). My favorite shot of that clip+trailer - it was a difficult decision to give up my WS slide + knife flip for this one, but I gave in *lol*

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #155
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

27 this month over here. Think i'm gonna go see this movie at a local theatre that nobody goes to anymore so i can have the whole studio to myself!

The way this movie is shaping up kinda surprised me.I was more excited for Thor...but it all changed now.I'm not familiar with the directors,all i know is they're more known for comedy movies.

Obviously judging from the trailers and interviews, Marvel made the right decision hiring them.If anything, they're seems to be very passionate about the source materials and looking at the right places for influences (three days of the Condors!)

But i do still wonder what made Marvel considered hiring them in the first place,judging from their previous works and the project that Marvel wnated them to handle-CA;TWS

Quote:
It actually already did happen I think most of the, er, discussion was in the last (now closed) part of this thread.
You're kidding!! if that's who i think it was, doesn't surprise me one bit. He/she seems to be to obssessed in figuring out why people like Marvel movies instead of the...ehm..oher ones. Twilight zones as he/she puts it

Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #156
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this but there is some good witty banter between Steve and Sam. They have good chemistry and there is a lot of humour in this flick (Avengers type humour). Humour haters are gonna have a field day with this one. I'm surprised no one is complaining about Cap's "I had a big breakfast" line which is admist the final battle which is suppose to serious and tense.
That's already evident in the trailers LOL! So long as it makes sense, and yeah, Mackie can pull off being humorous and sarcastic without devolving into caricature. Plus, the chemistry between him and Evans is really off the charts, at least to me. They legit look like they love sharing the screen together, which is something I got from Ruffalo and RDJ and really contributed to the whole Science Bros. meme.

So long as the humor is natural and germane to the story, and doesn't blunt the emotional impact of WS reveal or if WS' memories return (although a little in-character humor can be well deployed if used within emotional context), it's all good.

An Avengers/IM/CA:TFA balance is good for me.

ETA: I guffawed with the "I ate a big breakfast" exchange. I thought it was hilarious and Evans' delivery there was spot-on! But the stuff with Sam and the stuff with Cap and Widow are what I'm talking about, banter vs. jokes. Banter isn't really jokes. Banter can convey a lot of different things; depth of friendships/relationships with another character, subversion of expectations, irony, masking emotions, etc.

So yeah, the entire scene needs to be taken in context. The banter is what I loved best about Avengers; it really revealed a lot about the characters and sometimes emotions turned sharply from sarcasm to anger to fear to joy…

Last edited by Suzanne78; 03-07-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #157
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's already evident in the trailers LOL! So long as it makes sense, and yeah, Mackie can pull off being humorous and sarcastic without devolving into caricature. Plus, the chemistry between him and Evans is really off the charts, at least to me. They legit look like they love sharing the screen together, which is something I got from Ruffalo and RDJ and really contributed to the whole Science Bros. meme.

So long as the humor is natural and germane to the story, and doesn't blunt the emotional impact of WS reveal or if WS' memories return (although a little in-character humor can be well deployed if used within emotional context), it's all good.

An Avengers/IM/CA:TFA balance is good for me.
What trailers? I've only seen the 4 minute preview, haven't seen any tv spots. Do you have a link?

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #158
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
I only found... two parts to be genuinely funny about the Avengers. That was the "That man in playing Galaga" scene, and when Hulk pushed Thor over in New York.

But I enjoy these movies putting in that light-heartedness. Now would probably be a good time to say I hate every single Batman movie ever made and I think he's the most overrated character to ever exist.

On the other hand, I found Man of Steel to be a great movie.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #159
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
What trailers? I've only seen the 4 minute preview, haven't seen any tv spots. Do you have a link?
Hee! Really, mostly the Falcon-centric TV spots, like the third one that was released that was just over a minute (and was generally amazing!)

But I also liked that Disney one that's a little lighter in tone too.

But here's the link to Marvel's YT CA:TWS playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlIL...k7k0f6HV1TW71F

Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #160
Lightsplasher
Side-Kick

Quote:
Here you go , TV Spot 1 , TV Spot 2 and TV Spot 3

Old 03-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #161
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
But I enjoy these movies putting in that light-heartedness. Now would probably be a good time to say I hate every single Batman movie ever made and I think he's the most overrated character to ever exist.
Now, now...no need to go that far. He is kinda overexposed now, but there was a time when Batman was an interesting character.Right around the time when the animation series came out, and the comics a that time was pretty good too.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #162
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
I only found... two parts to be genuinely funny about the Avengers. That was the "That man in playing Galaga" scene, and when Hulk pushed Thor over in New York.

You didn't find Hulk tossing Loki around to be hilarious and awe-inspiring? Man I lost it when that happened. It was amazing!

Y'know, if we go back and watch Nolan's Batman movies, those are filled to the brim with banter. The drama and everything else is really well balanced IMO, but Bruce is a bantering machine with Rachel, Alfred, Lucius, Selina. Hell, him and Joker were all into the dark banter in TDK.

I don't mean to start some TDK vs. Marvel thing, but I do think that when people discuss "comedy" in superhero movies, they ignore that humor and banter are a big part of even the most highly regarded superhero movies (X-Men, Nolan's Bat trilogy, Spider-Man, IM, Avengers, Cap...)

Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #163
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hee! Really, mostly the Falcon-centric TV spots, like the third one that was released that was just over a minute (and was generally amazing!)

But I also liked that Disney one that's a little lighter in tone too.

But here's the link to Marvel's YT CA:TWS playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlIL...k7k0f6HV1TW71F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsplasher View Post
Here you go , TV Spot 1 , TV Spot 2 and TV Spot 3
Thanks guys.

EDIT: I thought they were part of the trailers. Seen some of them.

Quote:
You didn't find Hulk tossing Loki around to be hilarious and awe-inspiring? Man I lost it when that happened. It was amazing!

Y'know, if we go back and watch Nolan's Batman movies, those are filled to the brim with banter. The drama and everything else is really well balanced IMO, but Bruce is a bantering machine with Rachel, Alfred, Lucius, Selina. Hell, him and Joker were all into the dark banter in TDK.

I don't mean to start some TDK vs. Marvel thing, but I do think that when people discuss "comedy" in superhero movies, they ignore that humor and banter are a big part of even the most highly regarded superhero movies (X-Men, Nolan's Bat trilogy, Spider-Man, IM, Avengers, Cap...)
My body wasn't ready for that. It brought me to tears.

Last edited by TeeKay; 03-07-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #164
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Now, now...no need to go that far. He is kinda overexposed now, but there was a time when Batman was an interesting character.Right around the time when the animation series came out, and the comics a that time was pretty good too.
Oh no, don't get me started. That dreary, gothic-like, dark setting of Gotahm, or whatever, and supposedly 'sad' story of Bruce Wayne is just... I don't see how it was so popular.

I'll even say this: If it didn't have Batman in it, it might would have been good. I don't know why, but I genuinely dislike Batman. Which is funny, cause he's more or less the DC counterpart of my favorite hero: Cap.

Quote:
I know others found it funny, but I didn't laugh at it.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #165
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
Do you mean my avi? (which is courtesy of TheIrishAvenger btw). My favorite shot of that clip+trailer - it was a difficult decision to give up my WS slide + knife flip for this one, but I gave in *lol*
Yes sorry your avy, my mind went derp there lol

Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #166
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #167
BerkleeBear314
Newbie First Class

Is she saying "Frightening"? I can't quite make it out...

Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #168
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Has anyone ever seen the Ultimate Avengers movie? Cap wakes up and jumps out of that SHIELD building; puts me in mind of him jumping out of the elevator in TWS trailer we get at the end of the 4 minute clip.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #169
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksb36 View Post
You mean when Pepper Potts fell 200 feet into a blazing inferno and Tony Stark cracked a joke--that didn't bother you? LOL.

I swear this story changes every time I hear it . There were no jokes right after pepper fell, they had an epic battle, and then near the end of it when his armor failed he let out a frustrated "Whatever!"

Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #170
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Don't want to generalize but "it looks like a TV show" (or the like) is a standard dis of a certain subsegment of fandom I don't need to name. Mainly reserved for TA, and for very transparent reasons. The fact that whedon and the russos are known mainly for television, and that their films are the target of this "critique", is both irrelevant and completely intentional.

Any other criticism is completely valid, but when I see this my eyes glaze over. And its always always the same crowd.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #171
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh no, don't get me started. That dreary, gothic-like, dark setting of Gotahm, or whatever, and supposedly 'sad' story of Bruce Wayne is just... I don't see how it was so popular.
The athmosphere...it's unlike any other known in comic books...or other CB movies to be honest.Though only Burton seemed to get that part.

Maybe you just don't like Goths?

Jk

Old 03-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #172
Huddsy
Side-Kick

It's time to lock up TJB.

He hates Iron Man, doesn't laugh at the jokes in Avengers, etc.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #173
Minxie
Side-Kick

It's interesting because there's tons of gifs from all the new tv spots all over tumblr now and I've noticed a lot of people saying they wish there wasn't so much being revealed. But then again there has been very, very little shown or hinted at about the Steve-Bucky connection or how things are going to play out between them. And that's basically the number one reason I'm excited for this movie so... as long as they keep up the secrecy around them, don't reveal Bucky's voice, etc, then I'm satisfied with the marketing so far.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #174
Huddsy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which is funny, cause he's more or less the DC counterpart of my favorite hero: Cap.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #175
Broseph44
Dats what I'm saying

Quote:

Oh brother you're something

Dats it!

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Closed Thread