The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
iambranded
Side-Kick

Default After Avengers 3 - enter New Avengers??

Not sure if this was thrown out for discussion
Avengers big 3 (Cap, Iron Man & Thor) will probably be the final movie with these heavy hitters... my question.......

Can and will the Avengers survive and continue to be a blockbuster movie hit without the big 3.....maybe 4 including the Hulk

iambranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent

Default Re: After Avengers 3 - enter New Avengers??

Yeah I think they can go on,
We will have Ant-Man, Dr Strange, Vision, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, it's highly plausible that Bucky will become the New Cap, and we could also have Black Panther and Ms. Marvel by that point, and if Hawkeye and Black Widow are still around that's a decent enough team for me.

They could even go West Coast Avengers headed by Hawkeye, with Scarlet Witch, Vision and James Rhoades as Iron Man/War Machine, introduce Tigra, Powerman and or Mockingbird and there's your movie.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
iambranded
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
Yeah I think they can go on,
We will have Ant-Man, Dr Strange, Vision, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, it's highly plausible that Bucky will become the New Cap, and we could also have Black Panther and Ms. Marvel by that point, and if Hawkeye and Black Widow are still around that's a decent enough team for me.

They could even go West Coast Avengers headed by Hawkeye, with Scarlet Witch, Vision and James Rhoades as Iron Man/War Machine, introduce Tigra, Powerman and or Mockingbird and there's your movie.
yeah i was hoping you would say that....so many Avengers.... I hope the fanbase and the mainstream media fanbase will look at it that way.....Avengers has such a rich history...it would be cool to see a Hawkeye lead team...and an adventure without Cap...IM...Thor and Hulk....interesting...but looking forward to

iambranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Yes, because by that point they'll have other characters with exposure and some popularity. If they can turn Guardians of the Galaxy into a big success, I'm sure they can handle team roster transitions and recasting.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Introducing brand new characters as part of a brand new franchise and gambling on a new fanbase (i.e., GOTG) is one thing; introducing brand new characters and/or "second stringers" into an existing franchise that got popular off first-stringers who are no longer around is a far different-colored horse.

Making, say, a GOTG2 that kicked Quill, Rocket and Groot aside for Moondragon, Phyla, and Adam Warlock doesn't make sense. Just as it doesn't make sense to kick Cap, Tony and Thor aside to make Wanda, Pietro and T'Challa the leads. The math doesn't add up.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambranded View Post
yeah i was hoping you would say that....so many Avengers.... I hope the fanbase and the mainstream media fanbase will look at it that way.....Avengers has such a rich history...it would be cool to see a Hawkeye lead team...and an adventure without Cap...IM...Thor and Hulk....interesting...but looking forward to
I think the mainstream could get behind it, they got behind less popular characters like Iron Man, Thor and Cap in a big way, who from the mainstream could have told you Iron Mans alter ego before Iron Man 1?, no one, now everyone knows who Tony Stark is, hopefully the same goes for Dr Strange, Ant-Man and so on.

Guardians of the Galaxy tells me the mainstream will get behind anyone if they are portrayed good enough.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Introducing brand new characters as part of a brand new franchise and gambling on a new fanbase (i.e., GOTG) is one thing; introducing brand new characters and/or "second stringers" into an existing franchise that got popular off first-stringers who are no longer around is a far different-colored horse.

Making, say, a GOTG2 that kicked Quill, Rocket and Groot aside for Moondragon, Phyla, and Adam Warlock doesn't make sense. Just as it doesn't make sense to kick Cap, Tony and Thor aside to make Wanda, Pietro and T'Challa the leads. The math doesn't add up.
I hear what you're saying, but X-Men First Class.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
I hear what you're saying, but X-Men First Class.
XMFC scores points for *both* the recast-is-good and recast-is-bad crowd. On the one hand, they successfully recast several core characters (Charles, Erik, Mystique, Beast) *and* introduced a largely brand-new team to audiences.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
antdogs
Side-Kick

you guys think in the battle against thanos.. we would see the avengers with doc strange? ant man.. black panther added to the crew? i would assume everyone would probably thrown at thanos like the comic?

antdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent

Quote:
XMFC scores points for *both* the recast-is-good and recast-is-bad crowd. On the one hand, they successfully recast several core characters (Charles, Erik, Mystique, Beast) *and* introduced a largely brand-new team to audiences.
Again, I hear what you're saying, but it's fair to say X 1 to 3 are basically Wolverine fests, yet people still went to see an X-Men movie without him, for me only Professor X, Magneto and Mystique are valid in your point, Beast was introduced in X3 and wasn't 'a first stringer' as you put it, yet is quite popular and one of the main characters.
I can't deny the involvement of Professor X, Magneto and Mystique playing a part in people's interest in First Class, but I also can't deny that it was similar as to what we may see in future Avengers movies, granted XFS is a prequel, but it was a retooling of the franchise and financially it did fine, even without Wolverine. Whilst future Avengers movies may not feature 'first stringers', it's still gonna have the same themes and settings, and more importantly it's gonna have 'The Avengers' before the secondary title as the movie name, I can't see people ignoring that to be honest.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
Donut
Side-Kick

If people can handle all of those James Bond recasts then they can handle any recast really. But with so many different Avengers out there. They can just add in new characters rather then recast

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I hope that they will recast the big 4 if necessary, rather than switching them out. I think the Avengers is a more interesting and fun group with them around. Bucky taking the mantle of Cap is the one exception, but that should still only be temporary.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #13
Katsuro
Side-Kick

Quote:

By the time Avengers 4 rolls around, audiences could be well prepared for a new version of the team. Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Vision will have been Avengers for 2 movies already, Ant-Man, Giant-Man, and Wasp may have already made the team, and Black Panther and Ms. Marvel could have had their own solo debut films. It all depends on how well those characters are received. People forget that Iron Man and Thor weren't really on the tip of public consciousness before their movies came out. And while mostly everyone knew the names Captain America and Hulk, they didn't really care all that much.

I could totally see an Avengers 4 roster that included Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, The Vision, and Hawkeye (wouldn't it be funny if he was always there?). Sure, it sounds like a B-version of the team now, but give them time to all be the stars of mega huge blockbusters, and it won't look that way when the time comes.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
Broseph44
We Are Groot

We haven't even gotten to AOU yet. Can we get through that plus phase three and A3 first before worrying about what's after that? Haha. We are talking about yearssss down the road here.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #15
Dasher10
Side-Kick

I doubt that all of the heavy hitters will leave the team. Back in the early 90s, the X-Men took over as Marvel's biggest franchise since first Spider-Man, Namor, Quicksilver, Hank Pym, Wasp and Moon Knight left the Avengers titles, then after Galactic Storm, Captain America, Thor, She-Hulk and Iron Man were no longer Avengers.

So when the only relatively popular characters left were Black Widow, Black Knight, Hawkeye, War Machine and Vision, it's easy to see why the X-Men were everywhere in the 90s. And in the place of the more popular characters, Crystal and Sersi joined the team when they were already established members of other teams, namely the Inhumans and Eternals who both could have been the face of their own team title but were written into Avengers to bail the title out of a sub-par roster.

That plus new heroes who nobody really cared about being added to the Avengers like Thunderstrike, Century, Moonraker, Rage and Deathcry. There were some diamonds in the rough like Cybermancer, Darkhawk and Magdalene but compared to the five new additions listed above, the Avengers were really in such a rut that the only way to bring sales back up was to reintroduce Captain America and Hank Pym back onto the team while revamping the West Coast team under the new name Force Works and putting Iron Man back on the team.

Then there was the marketing. In the Iron Man animated series the West Coast Avengers/Force Works were renamed the Armory Team, the Captain America and the Avengers game featured Vision and Hawkeye instead of the more popular Spider-Man and Thor on the team and Avengers in Galactic Storm made Iron Man, Vision and Thor unplayable while Thunderstrike was playable. That's right. Thunderstrike was considered a more important asset to Marvel's marketing team than Iron Man or Thor back in the early 90s.

Then when Marvel decided to bring their heavy hitters back, some really terrible ideas came about like giving War Machine goofy looking alien armor, having Thor in a skimpy bondage outfit and turning Wasp into an insect. This all culminated in Tony Stark turning evil and then being replaced with his teenage self. (I still treat The Crossing as a guiolty pleasure since the art is incredible and the redesigns for Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye were actually pretty good.) This necessitated the team being killed off during a crossover with the X-Men and then going through a hard reboot which flopped spectacularly due to Rob Liefeld's overly sexualized Captain America which caused Marvel to reboot the team AGAIN in the main continuity with Kurt Busiek bringing the team back to life in an incredibly confusing way.

That said, I love Kurt Busiek's run and he really made the Avengers awesome again from 1997-2004. But Busiek was only able to do what he did because the franchise had hit rock bottom and was even good enough to get a cartoon greenlit with an accompanying action figure line.

And after Busiek left, Geoff Johns kept the heavy hitters on the team and after Chuck Austen ruined a few characters, Bendis only had to reveal that Hank Pym was a skrull, write Scarlet Witch off the title and temporarily kill Hawkeye. All of which he later undid during his tenure when the taste of Chuck Austen was washed out of everyone's mouth.

Point being. Bendis was able to get rid of the characters that Chuck Austen crapped all over because there were still enough heavy hitters left from Busiek and Johns to play around with and when they were introduced, they were back to being well-written while Bendis brought Spider-Man back onto the team and introduced Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Wolverine while slowly reintroducing characters from the team's past over nearly a decade.

The Avengers need familiar characters. Without them, they aren't Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they're just Marvel's leftovers. If Marvel were to ditch everyone from Phase 1, we'd only have Ms Marvel, Black Panther and Blade as the only A-listers and Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision as supporting cast since all the street level heroes will be Defenders instead. So think about that. Instead of allowing the franchise to grow, Marvel will be focusing on only three stand-alone properties.

I'd much rather see the Avengers get broken into two teams after Phase 3 to deal with all the new blood.

Mighty Avengers: Captain America, Quicksilver, Ant-Man, Iron Fist, Thor, Falcon, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Darkhawk, Crystal, Black Panther, Namor, Winter Soldier and if Marvel can get the rights back Spider-Man

West Coast Avengers: Iron Man, Hulk, Ms Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Wasp, War Machine, Tigra, Black Widow, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Sersi, Medusa, Blade and Vision

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 AM   #16
DjCrenshaw
Side-Kick

Nah....

DjCrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambranded View Post
Not sure if this was thrown out for discussion
Avengers big 3 (Cap, Iron Man & Thor) will probably be the final movie with these heavy hitters... my question.......

Can and will the Avengers survive and continue to be a blockbuster movie hit without the big 3.....maybe 4 including the Hulk
Can they survive? Sure. Can they make as much money and have as much appeal? Nah. That's why A3 probably won't be the final movie with those heavy hitters. There's more money in recasting than legacy characters. A James Franco Iron Man movie is still going to be more popular than a Chadwick Boseman Black Panther movie, even though RDJ isn't Iron Man. Also there's the small issue where the Chrises probably won't stop at Avengers 3 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I doubt that all of the heavy hitters will leave the team. Back in the early 90s, the X-Men took over as Marvel's biggest franchise since first Spider-Man, Namor, Quicksilver, Hank Pym, Wasp and Moon Knight left the Avengers titles, then after Galactic Storm, Captain America, Thor, She-Hulk and Iron Man were no longer Avengers.

Point being. Bendis was able to get rid of the characters that Chuck Austen crapped all over because there were still enough heavy hitters left from Busiek and Johns to play around with and when they were introduced, they were back to being well-written while Bendis brought Spider-Man back onto the team and introduced Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Wolverine while slowly reintroducing characters from the team's past over nearly a decade.

The Avengers need familiar characters. Without them, they aren't Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they're just Marvel's leftovers. If Marvel were to ditch everyone from Phase 1, we'd only have Ms Marvel, Black Panther and Blade as the only A-listers and Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision as supporting cast since all the street level heroes will be Defenders instead. So think about that. Instead of allowing the franchise to grow, Marvel will be focusing on only three stand-alone properties.

I'd much rather see the Avengers get broken into two teams after Phase 3 to deal with all the new blood.

Mighty Avengers: Captain America, Quicksilver, Ant-Man, Iron Fist, Thor, Falcon, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Darkhawk, Crystal, Black Panther, Namor, Winter Soldier and if Marvel can get the rights back Spider-Man

West Coast Avengers: Iron Man, Hulk, Ms Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Wasp, War Machine, Tigra, Black Widow, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Sersi, Medusa, Blade and Vision
This was a really good post, dude.

I'd love to see the Avengers movie kind of do that where you lose some of the heavy hitters for a bit so that Avengers have to focus on the New Avengers for a bit as they pull back together for Avengers 5. I'd love to see Captain America's series kinda become the Secret Avengers series while Iron Man's series kinda becomes the Mighty Avengers series. I think that'd be cool. Then when the main Avengers movie comes around, you have a mega team up. In fact, taking all the franchises in the team up direction could be cool. Dr. Strange becomes more and more Midnight Sons, Black Panther takes on all the (available) New Avengers as supporting cast... or maybe Inhumans does.

Somehow I don't see Darkhawk, Tigra, Sersi or Namor in the near future, and I think the Defenders won't be Avengers.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

So I'm thinking the new team is going to look like...

Captain America
Hawkeye (?)
The Vision
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
Ms. Marvel (?)
Ant-Man

Iron Man will probably leave due to guilt.
Banner may feel he's too dangerous to stay on the team (after the Hulk vs. Hulkbuster fiasco).
Natasha will probably leave because Bruce is leaving (if they're an item).
Thor may realize he just has too much to protect (nine realms) to stay on an Earth-based team, though I could see him staying.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I don't believe it for a second, and neither should you. What your saying is synonymous with "lets write our biggest most popular characters out of our biggest franchise."

Not going to happen. The Avengers are still going to include Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk come Avengers 3.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I don't believe it for a second, and neither should you. What your saying is synonymous with "lets write our biggest most popular characters out of our biggest franchise."

Not going to happen. The Avengers are still going to include Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk come Avengers 3.
Oh, I don't doubt that those characters are going to appear in Avengers 3, but I don't think they're going to be team members proper. Could even make for some great friction as the Avengers have to deal with these old members and who's calling the shots and who's accountable for decisions, etc.

And besides, Feige has made it very clear numerous times that he has no interest in being tied down to a handful of popular characters (see Wolverine at Fox). He obviously wants to keep things very fluid and dynamic, creating new popular characters while giving currently popular ones a breather, etc.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
michael1975
Side-Kick

Yea once the original actors contracts run out they will move away from those characters for a time and then return to them later on.

Also I think that after Phase 3 they will push the incredible Hulk. I personally think the reason they haven't been pushing him is for two reason. The first is I think they need to give him more of a speaking personality so that he can carry a film. Second I think that they want to wait till after phase 3 and all the actors contracts run out. This still gives them a major Marvel character to utilize.

What Disney needs to do is bring all the Marvel properties under the belt. This includes X-Men, Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Deadpool and any other character they don't have movie rights to.

michael1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #22
strugler
Hadoken

I don't see this being a big deal. We know all of them are going to be in Avengers 3. So maybe they leave the team for a while and some of them might come back. This is the avengers people, the team in the comics have been changing since issue #4 so i am happy we will see that in the movies. Maybe some of them will leave and some will be reserve members etc.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #23
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I think there should be a long break after Avengers 3 which should be the swan song for RDJ, Evans, and Hemsworth.

Don't kill off the big three but keep the characters inactive until phase 6 or 7 and then bring them back with new actors.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #24
GarysMyOldman
Side-Kick

I doubt RDJ is going anywhere until Thanos is defeated, I'm assuming him and Brolin are buds based on interviews from them on the characters and the rose thing they did together at SDCC. He's not going to leave all that fun on the table and he isn't going to leave the money train now that it's going 300 mph.

He's not in a million movies a year and it's not like Stark would get boring to play. He'll stick around until Avengers 3 and they'll go from there. I think we'll see an Iron Man 4 and 5 with Downey and he'll be a big part of a Civil War style movie in the next Avengers phase. Once he does 5-6 Iron Man films and 3-4 Avengers movies I'd say then he'd be sick of it. HE IS IRON MAN. To throw that away for no reason would be stupid. Unless he's quitting acting all together I see him holding on for a long time. All the rumors are just leverage for contract negotiations for when they get to Avengers 3.

As far as doing New Avengers, I think after Avengers AOU the Cap 3 movie will be Secret Wars, Captain America: Secret War, the Russos said themselves that was their favorite as kids, they have the opportunity to partially adapt it, I think they will go all out and do a version of Secret Wars for Cap 3.... sounds crazy but so does a lot of things Marvel does.

GarysMyOldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #25
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysMyOldman View Post
I doubt RDJ is going anywhere until Thanos is defeated, I'm assuming him and Brolin are buds based on interviews from them on the characters and the rose thing they did together at SDCC. He's not going to leave all that fun on the table and he isn't going to leave the money train now that it's going 300 mph.

He's not in a million movies a year and it's not like Stark would get boring to play. He'll stick around until Avengers 3 and they'll go from there. I think we'll see an Iron Man 4 and 5 with Downey and he'll be a big part of a Civil War style movie in the next Avengers phase. Once he does 5-6 Iron Man films and 3-4 Avengers movies I'd say then he'd be sick of it. HE IS IRON MAN. To throw that away for no reason would be stupid. Unless he's quitting acting all together I see him holding on for a long time. All the rumors are just leverage for contract negotiations for when they get to Avengers 3.

As far as doing New Avengers, I think after Avengers AOU the Cap 3 movie will be Secret Wars, Captain America: Secret War, the Russos said themselves that was their favorite as kids, they have the opportunity to partially adapt it, I think they will go all out and do a version of Secret Wars for Cap 3.... sounds crazy but so does a lot of things Marvel does.
He'll probably give it up with Iron Man 4 come 2020 since by that point he'll be in his mid-50s. Avengers 4 is where I'd cast Zac Efron as Tony Stark since he'll be in his mid 30s by that point.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote