Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #26
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post

Did you have to mention his damned Damme name? I was trying to forget that.
No less, his name would have been Van Damme in the previous series if not for fans complaining. But, McMahon's Doom was far closer to that version

Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #27
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Because......the comic did not start with them as teenagers...
They're not teenagers. Nor are they really "early 20's" that we know of.

Miles Teller is 26.

Jamie Bell is 27.

Kate Mara is 30.

Michael B. Jordan is 27.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #28
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
UFF was many thing. Well-written, it was not. USM was a fairly well-written book for a while. UXM had some decent stories (mostly early on...about issue 40 it tanked). Ultimates early on (though it never came out on time) was fun (though it lacked any of the 616 world's heart). Though, Ultimates 3 killed any quality it had. UFF was just garbage from the word go. Doom being the worst offender. He was whiny and pathetic.
I guess. I thought it was decent. Ellis' run was kind of inconsistent, but it had some neat ideas, and I thought the stuff I read of Millar's run was pretty fun if kind of simple. I certainly don't think any of the book's flaws stemmed from the team skewing younger than normal, which was mostly my point.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #29
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Side note about Marvel's Ultimate Universe, Ultimate Reed eventually became a HUGE villain and mega terrorist. He was responsible for all of the Asguardians being killed (except for Thor), and nuked DC off the top of my head.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #30
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
Ultimate Reed eventually became a HUGE villain and mega terrorist. He was responsible for all of the Asguardians being killed (except for Thor), and nuked DC off the top of my head.
Yeah, I must have stopped buying comics regularly before that happened. Got kind of broke. Yeah, that's kind of lame, but again I don't think his age in that series had anything to do with that.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #31
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post

Miles Teller is 26.

Jamie Bell is 27.

Kate Mara is 30.

Michael B. Jordan is 27.
..... For the millionth time age is just a number... For Christ sakes all 4 of them have played teens over the last 3 years alone. They look about 5 years younger (at least) than they are

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #32
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
Side note about Marvel's Ultimate Universe, Ultimate Reed eventually became a HUGE villain and mega terrorist. He was responsible for all of the Asguardians being killed (except for Thor), and nuked DC off the top of my head.
And THIS is the Reed Richards the people want

Hey, remember when UFF Doom killed the Scarlet Witch, and the Ultimatum happened as a result...and it sucked.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #33
The Question

Quote:
No it isn't. I only brought up UFF insofar as the age thing. The age thing wasn't a problem there. Other things were. That's a weird association you're making.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #34
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
And if you go back and check my post...I was responded to someone shouting -THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TEENAGERS!!!! - So, he thought they were supposed to be teenagers....and was saying we had nothing to complain about because the characters WERE supposed to be teenagers and the actors WERE teenagers or at least LOOKED LIKE TEENAGERS.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #35
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:

Hey, remember when UFF Doom killed the Scarlet Witch, and the Ultimatum happened as a result...and it sucked.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #36
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
No it isn't. I only brought up UFF insofar as the age thing. The age thing wasn't a problem there. Other things were. That's a weird association you're making.
For some, age isn't the issue. For me, it is. Reed had a long career in the field prior to becoming a superhero. I would like a VETERAN Reed. One who has experienced the field/world. One who has discovered things and accomplished stuff on his own.

I have no interest in the UFF version of Reed. I don't like his stereotypical nerd aspects. I don't like his awkwardness. He's uninteresting and bland. He is just a cliche' knock-off of a much better character. The age thing IS part of that too. Because the Hollywood thing to do is crap like make a character young and use a stereotype that they feel works. The nerd is in. I am sure Reed will be a nerd too.

I half hope he goes insane in the film and becomes evil, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
LOL!!!!!! That made my night

I was never so horrified by anything in a comic ever. I couldn't help but laugh at Ultimatum's sheer insanity.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #37
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
..... For the millionth time age is just a number... For Christ sakes all 4 of them have played teens over the last 3 years alone. They look about 5 years younger (at least) than they are
"Age is just a number" goes both ways.

If Teller's Reed Richards is, say, 27, it's going to be fairly believable because Teller himself is 27.

Quote:
Appearance is important. The guy just played a teen in a movie this past year... He looks like he's younger than mbj even. He's simply not believable for such a role and he's not "that good" of an actor to pull it off imo.
He's not believeable for such a role...so you know the specifics of the role as written for this film?

Gotta be honest. Your opinion doesn't jive with his actual abilities as an actor. He's quite talented.

Quote:
Great if you think he can. But it doesn't change the fact an overwhelming majority think otherwise and its just another reason they don't plan on seeing this film .
The overwhelming majority (what, like six people here?) must not have been following his career very closely.

Quote:
Agreed. Ledger had Oscar nomination and acclaim prior to the Joker casting. Tom Hardy didn't as well. Tellar doesn't have that type of hype. Totally apples to oranges. It is hard to argue when an acclaimed actor takes a role.
Teller may not have Oscar nominations or Oscar acclaim, but if you think Hollywood isn't paying attention to him, you're kidding yourself. He's gotten a lot of very good buzz for several of his past few roles.

Quote:
2: I disagree with your second point. Michael Keaton doesn't look much like Batman. Heath Ledger didn't resemble The Joker physically at all. Liam Neeson certainly doesn't look like Ra's Al Ghul. Mark Ruffalo doesn't look like Bruce Banner. Michael Clarke Duncan didn't look like The Kingpin. Cillian Murphy doesn't look like Jonathan Crane. Jack Nicholson doesn't look like The Joker.
This. Exactly.

And there are more. Notably: Christian Bale doesn't really look like most comic book versions of Bruce Wayne, and portrayed a Batman who was five years older than he was when he historically began his crusade. Michael Caine doesn't look like comic book Alfred. Hugh Jackman doesn't really look like Wolverine, is much taller, handsomer, etc. Ian McKellan doesn't look a whole lot like Magneto in the comics. And so on and so forth. Yet people have generally accepted these portrayals because the spirit of the character was kept intact, for the most part. Is Fantastic Four somehow more sacred than these other properties?

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 03-10-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #38
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Someone (maybe the Question) mentioned in the previous thread it was an origin story and prequel, so thats why they're teenagers. The thing is that their origin never involved them being teenagers. Only Johnny was. Also, what was the 2005 FF movie? Wasn't that an origin story? They were adults there. Why should origin mean they are teenagers?

And it's certainly not a prequel to the previous movies. They only became the FF in the 2005 film and we're fully grown. There is no life of theirs before then, unless we want to see the college years with Reed studying but no powers for a few years.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #39
The Guard
Side-Kick

Isn't it possible that there's an interesting story to be told about a younger Fantastic Four?

And if I'm right
Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #40
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I'm sorry, but I do not believe that you know much about the 616 FF. Which is fine, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

For those that enjoy the UFF, that is great, and I can see why those that do enjoy the UFF are not too worried about this movie and the casting.

For those that have been fans of 616, many on here for over 40 years, well they definitely have a reason to be pissed. They know these characters inside and out, and have watched all differences brought by each writer and artist, yet all of those writers and artists had threads that ran true through each issue. These long time fans, KNOW those threads....and those threads look to have been CUT.
Beautifully stated.
Quote:
And "cut" for no plausible reason aside from "Because we can".

No one expects a 100% faithful adaptation of the source material. But can we at least recognize the characters? Damn. LOL
This simple logic: That the qualities that make the characters beloved by fans should not only be preserved for the fans but would make for a more watchable film is simple and undeniable. Those who argue with this (mainly just because they love to argue and not due to making any valid points) are never vindicated. Yes, most of have been here through all the "Give Story a chance" and "Alba is the best possible choice EVAH!!" and the all too familiar "I'm not insightful enough to condemn this venture until my third viewing." Bah.

Last edited by VICTORVONDOOMX; 03-10-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #41
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Watching The Guard refute every single post that comes his way is like watching a panicked drowning man tread water. It's almost admirable. Keep fighting the fight, bro.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #42
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
Isn't it possible that there's an interesting story to be told about a younger Fantastic Four?
Then the name of that movie should be "The Runaways."

Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #43
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORVONDOOMX View Post
Then the name of that movie should be "Power Pack"
Fixed that for you.

God isn't that obnoxious? I hate when people do that.

But seriously, I want a Power Pack movie.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #44
The Guard
Side-Kick

I dunno...seems like the qualities people are worried might have been cut A, haven't been proven to be cut, and B, in some cases aren't all that interesting, and are somewhat common as character and storytelling dynamics in the first place.

And if I'm right
Old 03-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #45
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
Fixed that for you.

You made me laugh so hard I snorted!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #46
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Is it sad that as I picture this young FF movie (inspired by UFF), I actually think I'd find it more enjoyable if they go all out, make Doom a woman and then on top of that, make Reed the villain! Sure, it'd go down in flames. But, at least I'd be laughing about it.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #47
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:

Why don't we try this: Is it possible that there's an "interesting story" about the Fantastic Four as they're portrayed in the comics that have been beloved for 50 years? Ya know...just the way they are? How about that? How about trying to get that right first before deviating off the reservation?

I know you're trying hard to defend this project. But has it occurred to you that maybe--just maybe--the movie might be more successful with a traditional interpretation? This franchise refuses to embrace that. And that's why it consistently ranks in the mediocre category. Why you and some of the others here are content with accepting FOX's pursuit of that course just blows my damn mind.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #48
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Ashley Tisdale for Doom!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #49
The Question

Quote:
Fixed that for you.

Seriously, that is probably my biggest pet peeve when it comes to forum discussions.

And yeah, a Power Pack movie would be awesome. Directed by Spike Jonez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Someone (maybe the Question) mentioned in the previous thread it was an origin story and prequel, so thats why they're teenagers. The thing is that their origin never involved them being teenagers. Only Johnny was. Also, what was the 2005 FF movie? Wasn't that an origin story? They were adults there. Why should origin mean they are teenagers?

And it's certainly not a prequel to the previous movies. They only became the FF in the 2005 film and we're fully grown. There is no life of theirs before then, unless we want to see the college years with Reed studying but no powers for a few years.
Nope, it was "Essayist" or whatever his username is. I think that argument is pretty weak myself.

Quote:

Why don't we try this: Is it possible that there's an "interesting story" about the Fantastic Four as they're portrayed in the comics that have been beloved for 50 years? Ya know...just the way they are? How about that? How about trying to get that right first before deviating off the reservation?
Why is that important, though? Deviations aren't an inherently bad thing, and they're inevitable in an adaptation.

Quote:
I know you're trying hard to defend this project. But has it occurred to you that maybe--just maybe--the movie might be more successful with a traditional interpretation? This franchise refuses to embrace that. And that's why it consistently ranks in the mediocre category. Why you and some of the others here are content with accepting FOX's pursuit of that course just blows my damn mind.
It constantly ranks in the mediocre category because the talent behind it has been consistently mediocre.

I can't speak for Guard, but my only point here is that assuming that the movie will suck because they're doing one thing differently is kind of silly, especially because we don't have any other information to put that change into context.

Last edited by The Question; 03-10-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #50
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Watching The Guard refute every single post that comes his way is like watching a panicked drowning man tread water. It's almost admirable. Keep fighting the fight, bro.
I would give my left ass cheek for the Guard to simply say "You're right; I was wrong."

Closed Thread