The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #51
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - - - Part 12

There isn't really a "right" or "wrong" at this point.

I don't have to "try" real hard to defend this movie...as not much of anything is known about it, so any defense generally amounts to "Umm, you don't know the content of this movie yet". There's a lot of assumption flying around, and not much use of logic being applied of late. Now, I'll defend the talent of the actors involved all day long.

I'm sure a traditional version could work well. Getting the traditional version "right" is sort of relative, though. There are many incarnations of the Fantastic Four, and the original franchise, while not great movies, got a lot right about The Four, including some of the more traditional aspects. They obviously also missed the boat on some things, mainly Doom.

Regardless, we're obviously not getting a purely traditional version this time out. At least until these actors grow into their roles in a potential franchise.

People can kick and scream about that, or accept that they're doing a slightly new take on the material, and try to find something compelling there. I choose the latter.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #52
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post

Why don't we try this: Is it possible that there's an "interesting story" about the Fantastic Four as they're portrayed in the comics that have been beloved for 50 years? Ya know...just the way they are? How about that? How about trying to get that right first before deviating off the reservation?

I know you're trying hard to defend this project. But has it occurred to you that maybe--just maybe--the movie might be more successful with a traditional interpretation? This franchise refuses to embrace that. And that's why it consistently ranks in the mediocre category. Why you and some of the others here are content with accepting FOX's pursuit of that course just blows my damn mind.
As always, an excellent post, LS. But the reason why is obvious: mediocrity is now desirable. Gotta go along to get along. Who would want to be an achiever like Velma when Shaggy is so much easier to emulate. This attitude was made its way into our music or movies our politics and our attitudes about them. Sad but true.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #53
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Is it sad that as I picture this young FF movie (inspired by UFF), I actually think I'd find it more enjoyable if they go all out, make Doom a woman and then on top of that, make Reed the villain! Sure, it'd go down in flames. But, at least I'd be laughing about it.
Nah, that's not sad. I've been hoping for something along those lines. The harder this thing fails, the better.

Maybe FOX will say "3 strikes, we're out".

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #54
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
There isn't really a "right" or "wrong" at this point.

I don't have to "try" real hard to defend this movie...as not much of anything is known about it, so any defense generally amounts to "Umm, you don't know the content of this movie yet". There's a lot of assumption flying around, and not much use of logic being applied of late. Now, I'll defend the talent of the actors involved all day long.

I'm sure a traditional version could work well. Getting the traditional version "right" is sort of relative, though. There are many incarnations of the Fantastic Four, and the original franchise, while not great movies, got a lot right about The Four, including some of the more traditional aspects. They obviously also missed the boat on some things, mainly Doom.

Regardless, we're obviously not getting a purely traditional version this time out. At least until these actors grow into their roles in a potential franchise.

People can kick and scream about that, or accept that they're doing a slightly new take on the material, and try to find something compelling there. I choose the latter.
*sigh*

Wouldn't you rather have one of my ass cheeks? In exchange for being wrong just once? C'mon Guard. It's a great cheek man. LOL

Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #55
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Isn't it possible that there's an interesting story to be told about a younger Fantastic Four?
When you have 50 plus years of a comic book stories carrying the Fantastic Four name with older characters to mine from (they were not all young when the became the FF, and there were plenty of 'interesting' stories over those 5 decades to choose from), I see no good reason at all to deliberately avoid doing that.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #56
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthenerds View Post
Nah, that's not sad. I've been hoping for something along those lines. The harder this thing fails, the better.

Maybe FOX will say "3 strikes, we're out".
Good point!!! Honestly, if a movie is going to suck, I'd much rather it be funny on some level than just bad. Perfect example for me: Ghost Rider is a bad movie. But, it is a boring movie that is just bad. Now, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. That movie is BAD! But...it is so bad, that it amuses me on some level. I marvel at the insanity it must take to make something that bad. The Room is another great example.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #57
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORVONDOOMX View Post
As always, an excellent post, LS. But the reason why is obvious: mediocrity is now desirable. Gotta go along to get along. Who would want to be an achiever like Velma when Shaggy is so much easier to emulate. This attitude was made its way into our music or movies our politics and our attitudes about them. Sad but true.
Perhaps. But I also believe that many casual fans don't know the greatness of the Fantastic Four to begin with, so they don't have a barometer to guage what is acceptable or mediocre. We do, hence our collective frustration.

I find that the users here who are okay with this film's premise thus far don't have high expectations anyway; the FF are a casual love of theirs--not a diehard one.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #58
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Seriously, that is probably my biggest pet peeve when it comes to forum discussions.

And yeah, this Power Pack movie will be awesome. Directed by Josh Trank.
Fixed.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #59
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Nice, Dark Raven.

Quote:
Perhaps. But I also believe that many casual fans don't know the greatness of the Fantastic Four to begin with, so they don't have a barometer to guage what is acceptable or mediocre. We do, hence our collective frustration.

I find that the users here who are okay with this film's premise thus far don't have high expectations anyway; the FF are a casual love of theirs--not a diehard one.
Agreed. And those ass cheek comments cracked me up!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #60
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
When you have 50 plus years of a comic book stories carrying the Fantastic Four name with older characters to mine from (they were not all young when the became the FF, and there were plenty of 'interesting' stories over those 5 decades to choose from), I see no good reason at all to deliberately avoid doing that.
I have a theory on that. My guess is that, in casting these 27-30 year old actors, who can look young but probably play a decent age range, that they're trying to build a franchise that will get people interested and allow them to follow these characters for a decent while as they age. Sort of like the X-Men franchise has done over the years.

In the event of a franchise/crossovers, there won't be serious concerns over them "aging out of the role" that we're occassionally seeing now with Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Jackman, etc.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #61
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:

That is not the case with me. I am very far and a way from a casual fan. I'm just not bothered by changes in adaptations. What matters to me is if the movie works and is engaging and if they capture the spirit of the thing. Which is why, at this juncture, I'm not assuming anything about a movie we barely know anything about.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #62
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
And those ass cheek comments cracked me up!
The Guard doesn't know what he's missing.

EDIT: He'll probably tell me 50 reasons why my ass is not what it seems.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 03-10-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #63
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
In the event of a franchise/crossovers, there won't be serious concerns over them "aging out of the role" that we're occassionally seeing now with Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Jackman, etc.
There will be no fear of them aging out of the roles when this movie grosses about a buck fifty.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #64
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
Side note about Marvel's Ultimate Universe, Ultimate Reed eventually became a HUGE villain and mega terrorist. He was responsible for all of the Asguardians being killed (except for Thor), and nuked DC off the top of my head.
This. He's more Doom than Reed.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #65
The Question

Quote:
There will be no fear of them aging out of the roles when this movie grosses about a buck fifty.
At this point, there's really no reason to think that would happen. Even if a significant number of fans are turned off by the younger cast and no news comes down the pipeline to ease their fears, the fact is that comic book fans barely make a dent in a movie's box office. It's the general audience they have to court, and they likely don't give a damn how old Reed Richards is.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #66
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

I knew I hated UFF for more than just bad writing and an uncreative bastardized origin story.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #67
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
At this point, there's really no reason to think that would happen. Even if a significant number of fans are turned off by the younger cast and no news comes down the pipeline to ease their fears, the fact is that comic book fans barely make a dent in a movie's box office. It's the general audience they have to court, and they likely don't give a damn how old Reed Richards is.
You mean the general audiences who won't go see this either, right? The ones that made Catwoman such a lucrative move. Because all that matters is the superhero's name on it to you. Any changes are artistic license not screwing up the formula. Kinda like the idea that piss in a Coke can is still Coke. How many drinks would it take you to decide it wasn't an insignificant change in color?

Last edited by VICTORVONDOOMX; 03-10-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #68
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
They will age out of the roles when Fox has another go and has the FF as pre - teens, and of course 10 year old Reed will be a leader of men.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #69
The Question

Quote:
You mean the general audiences who won't go see this either, right?
How do you know they won't go see it?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #70
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I have a theory on that. My guess is that, in casting these 27-30 year old actors, who can look young but probably play a decent age range, that they're trying to build a franchise that will get people interested and allow them to follow these characters for a decent while as they age. Sort of like the X-Men franchise has done over the years.

If they really expect to hype and build this franchise up.... They're already going about it the wrong way.... Lack of enthusiasm, fan disrespect, not giving the majority what they want, and absolutely not even trying to hype a film up that apparently begins filming in 20 days

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #71
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
How do you know they won't go see it?
The fact this project has not had any headlines, nor really when the splash casting announcement was made did any major media outlets make a big deal out of it, isn't a good sign. Avengers/Marvel news, SvB news makes waves. This...happened. No one outside us cared much.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #72
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

I really hope they don't get to make a franchise out of the Fanfiction Four. The way this thing is going, I doubt they will.

But if they did, we wouldn't be able to see a faithful film adaptation of the Fantastic Four for decades. Or ever. F*** that.

You officially have no life.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #73
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why you and some of the others here are content with accepting FOX's pursuit of that course just blows my damn mind.
That's what I don't get. Even back six months, a year ago when most of us were all pining for the property to revert to Marvel there was this tiny crowd who hated every mention of it, like Marvel getting the FF back would somehow be a step backwards. What???

I can't see it as anything but some weird loyalty to Fox for...reasons? because they've managed to hit 3 for 6 X-movies so far? Do we REALLY want to see a FF/X-Men crossover that bad?

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #74
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The fact this project has not had any headlines, nor really when the splash casting announcement was made did any major media outlets make a big deal out of it, isn't a good sign. Avengers/Marvel news, SvB news makes waves. This...happened. No one outside us cared much.
So? Plenty of movies go relatively undiscussed before they come out and still make a killing at the box office. It's the marketing campaign that makes or break's a movie's gross, not how much media buzz there is when the first casting announcements are sent out. Plus, Avengers and Superman/Batman are both sequels to already successful films, of course non-comic people were talking and interested before the first trailers came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
That's what I don't get. Even back six months, a year ago when most of us were all pining for the property to revert to Marvel there was this tiny crowd who hated every mention of it, like Marvel getting the FF back would somehow be a step backwards. What???

I can't see it as anything but some weird loyalty to Fox for...reasons? because they've managed to hit 3 for 6 X-movies so far? Do we REALLY want to see a FF/X-Men crossover that bad?
It's really not a loyalty to anyone. It's simply not assuming that the movie will be bad when we don't know much of anything yet.

I would also prefer it if Marvel got back the rights and the FF were folded into the MCU. Doesn't mean I'm going to make assumptions without adequate information.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #75
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
That argument is stupid. Have you even seen any comments section about this film from any other entertainment news source posting about this movie? There's an over whelming wave of majority angry, laughing or disinterested in this film. And its not just comic fans... Its cartoon, even Tim Story F4 film fans (yeah they exist... The kids who watched it growing up are in their early 20s now) you kinda gain a fanbase when you've been in every form of media over the last 50 years.....

I've quite honestly not seen a film this universally panned this early in the game since Halle Berry's Catwoman

This horse is quite dead out of the gate

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Closed Thread