Yep.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #77
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
How do you know they won't go see it?
Well... There are two little films this is going to also have much trouble competing with.... The Pixar film inside/out and jurassic world

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #78
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The fact this project has not had any headlines, nor really when the splash casting announcement was made did any major media outlets make a big deal out of it, isn't a good sign. Avengers/Marvel news, SvB news makes waves. This...happened. No one outside us cared much.
The fact that it is a reboot of an unpopular, failed franchise doesn't bode well either. Even if this movie was really good it would struggle finding an audience.

If it is bad, well...

Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #79
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
That argument is stupid. Have you even seen any comments section about this film from any other entertainment news source posting about this movie? There's an over whelming wave of majority angry, laughing or disinterested in this film. And its not just comic fans... Its cartoon, even Tim Story F4 film fans (yeah they exist... The kids who watched it growing up are in their early 20s now) you kinda gain a fanbase when you've been in every form of media over the last 50 years.....

I've quite honestly not seen a film this universally panned this early in the game since Halle Berry's Catwoman

This horse is quite dead out of the gate
This. All of it.

*co-signs, purchases lease and sells again*

Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #80
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
That argument is stupid. Have you even seen any comments section about this film from any other entertainment news source posting about this movie? There's an over whelming wave of majority angry, laughing or disinterested in this film. And its not just comic fans... Its cartoon, even Tim Story F4 film fans (yeah they exist... The kids who watched it growing up are in their early 20s now) you kinda gain a fanbase when you've been in every form of media over the last 50 years.....

I've quite honestly not seen a film this universally panned this early in the game since Halle Berry's Catwoman

That's still not a significant number of people in the context of the movie's box office. The casual moviegoer, i/e: the people this film will make the vast majority of their money from, don't care and likely don't know about any of this. What determines wether or not they will be inclined to go see it is the film's marketing campaign. And that's assuming that some of the angry or disinterested fans aren't swayed by further news we get later on down the line. The fan feedback at this point in the film's production doesn't indicate how well it will to at the box office.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #81
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:

Dragonball Evolution had a similar response too. I believe that was after Catwoman.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #82
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
How do you know they won't go see it?
We don't know yet, but historically CBM's the fans have disliked have tended to meet a similar response from the GA. It doesn't always follow that CBM's the fans like are also liked by the GA (the more recent Dredd for example), but in general I would say that for a lot us our end pov on the 'finished product' is not totally alien to what the GA's will be.

That this is a reboot from the same studio that served up the tepid Story flicks (not that long ago really) doesn't help it either: Dredd and The Incredible Hulk were reboots off the back of weak efforts. Dredd bombed badly, TIH broke about even domestically. Even Batman Begins, with Batman being one of the most popular comic book characters going, didn't leap out of the gates thanks to the previous 'Batman & Robin'. It took good reviews and good word of mouth to keep that on a good turnover throughout it's run.

So for me, I look at the above factors, that it opens a week after Jurassic World, and at the same time as Pixar's 'Inside Out', and I do get the feeling this could be a 'one and done' deal.

Time will tell one way or another.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #83
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
So? Plenty of movies go relatively undiscussed before they come out and still make a killing at the box office. It's the marketing campaign that makes or break's a movie's gross, not how much media buzz there is when the first casting announcements are sent out. Plus, Avengers and Superman/Batman are both sequels to already successful films, of course non-comic people were talking and interested before the first trailers came out.
This series failed last time people saw it. FF2 didn't perform well. Historically, that isn't good. Especially for a series that died in film 2. So, it already lack enthusiasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
The fact that it is a reboot of an unpopular, failed franchise doesn't bode well either. Even if this movie was really good it would struggle finding an audience.

If it is bad, well...
Yep. This film has to be great to have any chance of not sinking. And sinking is looking pretty likely right now.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #84
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
So? Plenty of movies go relatively undiscussed before they come out
Eh not really.... Not summer films. Especially ones that have names that hold weight. (aka recognizable)

Im not sure if i can name a summer blockbuster that didn't start promoting it self early... Especially celebrating (or talking up the film And cast)

[=]
Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #85
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's the marketing campaign that makes or break's a movie's gross,
Fox isn't exactly renowned for their stellar marketing campaigns.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #86
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan
Yep. This film has to be great to have any chance of not sinking. Which, is looking pretty likely right now.
And being great is just a chance. Being great didn't really save X-Men: First Class at the Box Office. It probably did just enough to warrant a sequel. And X-Men were and are a far more popular brand than the Fantastic Four.

Heck, even Spider-Man struggled. Sure, it made a lot of money because it is Spider-Man, maybe the most popular superhero in the world, but it still had a big dropoff from the Raimi films at the Box Office even with 3D and an expanded foreign market.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #87
The Guard
Side-Kick

I would imagine the reason FANTASTIC FOUR isn't getting a ton of "hype" right now is that FOX is focusing on marketing DAYS OF FUTURE PAST. They'll probably start really hyping this at a different point, when DAYS OF FUTURE PAST hype has died down a bit.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 03-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #88
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
And being great is just a chance. Being great didn't really save X-Men: First Class at the Box Office. It probably did just enough to warrant a sequel. And X-Men were and are a far more popular brand than the Fantastic Four.
Well, that's a matter of opinion. I thought X-Men: First Class was a pretty lousy movie. I really don't understand why so many fans and critics liked it, it was a convoluted mess and kind of dumb as hell.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #89
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, that's a matter of opinion. I thought X-Men: First Class was a pretty lousy movie. I really don't understand why so many fans and critics liked it, it was a convoluted mess and kind of dumb as hell.
You're lucky this is a different forum

Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #90
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dragonball Evolution had a similar response too. I believe that was after Catwoman.
Ah, the good old DBE days. I think that was the first time I ever heard "People will see it anyways" be spouted by Hollywood. That was back in 2009.

The result? A vehement resistance of protests so loud that it made media attention. The actors were actually interviewed about it, not many people saw it (made less than $10 million opening weekend), overall bombed universally even in places like Japan (it was gone from all charts by third week). Ironically, it was also made by Fox Studios.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #91
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
That's still not a significant number of people in the context of the movie's box office. The casual moviegoer, i/e: the people this film will make the vast majority of their money from, don't care and likely don't know about any of this. What determines wether or not they will be inclined to go see it is the film's marketing campaign. And that's assuming that some of the angry or disinterested fans aren't swayed by further news we get later on down the line. The fan feedback at this point in the film's production doesn't indicate how well it will to at the box office.
Encased you haven't noticed... Geeks are WAY in and popular... People follow this stuff now. Hell walked into a barnes and noble the other day and literally saw two prepy teen girls holding a marvel encyclopedia talking to another about heroes there boyfriends introduced them to from movies.... Superheroes have possibly never been more popular.

Fan bases are larger than ever... Who the hell is going to randomly decide to just walk into a fantastic four movie not knowing anything about these characters and want to see it just because it "looks cool" ??? The only people... Kids and parents who have to take them.

Sorry but there's not often universally panned by fans films that go on to be successful any more. There's ones like spidey3, X3, and transformers that do well... But those fanbases are pretty divided. Not nearly as one-sided as this situation is

[=]
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #92
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Ah, the good old DBE days. I think that was the first time I ever heard "People will see it anyways" be spouted by Hollywood. That was back in 2009.

The result? A vehement resistance of protests so loud that it made media attention. The actors were actually interviewed about it, not many people saw it (made less than $10 million opening weekend), overall bombed universally even in places like Japan (it was gone from all charts by third week). Ironically, it was also made by Fox Studios.
It also had a bunch of defenders on this board saying about how it was going to be a huge success.

I specifically remember one guy who claimed that Goku was more popular and more well known by the general public than Batman.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #93
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Heck, even Spider-Man struggled. Sure, it made a lot of money because it is Spider-Man, maybe the most popular superhero in the world, but it still had a big dropoff from the Raimi films at the Box Office even with 3D and an expanded foreign market.
This is true. Even unadjusted for inflation, TASM was the worst grossing Spidey film. I do think TASM2 will see a bump, however. It looks like an improvement over the last one, at least.

But, look at what FOX did for an X-Men: First Class sequel: they didn't just make it a sequel. They attached it to their more popular X-Men Trilogy in order to boost the BO potential! So, it is like...a semi-sequel. I think they're hoping they get what Marvel gets with Avengers bump once DoFP's dust settles.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #94
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Yeah. Most fanboy driven genre films usually don't hold up well in the box office when the fan boys unanimously despise it...

Dragon ball, The Last Airbender, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider 2 all ring a strong bell

[=]
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #95
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Encased you haven't noticed... Geeks are WAY in and popular... People follow this stuff now. Hell walked into a barnes and noble the other day and literally saw two prepy teen girls holding a marvel encyclopedia talking to another about heroes there boyfriends introduced them to from movies.... Superheroes have possibly never been more popular.

Fan bases are larger than ever... Who the hell is going to randomly decide to just walk into a fantastic four movie not knowing anything about these characters and want to see it just because it "looks cool" ??? The only people... Kids and parents who have to take them.

Sorry but there's not often universally panned by fans films that go on to be successful any more. There's ones like spidey3, X3, and transformers that do well... But those fanbases are pretty divided. Not nearly as one-sided as this situation is
All three of which are much bigger brands than Fantastic Four. The first two also had the benefit of following hugely popular films. In the case of X3, the backlash was so deep that the X-Men film franchise still hasn't recovered.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #96
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
It also had a bunch of defenders on this board saying about how it was going to be a huge success.

I specifically remember one guy who claimed that Goku was more popular and more well known by the general public than Batman.
You should have seen the people on YouTube. They made entire channels supporting the film, support T-shirts, petitions to get a sequel, claimed it would be a success no matter what.

Also in the east, Goku IS more popular than Batman. It bombed there as well, nevertheless.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #97
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
This is true. Even unadjusted for inflation, TASM was the worst grossing Spidey film. I do think TASM2 will see a bump, however. It looks like an improvement over the last one, at least.

But, look at what FOX did for an X-Men: First Class sequel: they didn't just make it a sequel. They attached it to their more popular X-Men Trilogy in order to boost the BO potential! So, it is like...a semi-sequel. I think they're hoping they get what Marvel gets with Avengers bump once DoFP's dust settles.
I think TASM2 will do better too, because it won't be tainted by being a reboot. People quite frankly are rather sick of reboots/remakes and just being one is a hard sell. See Robocop for the latest example.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #98
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I would imagine the reason FANTASTIC FOUR isn't getting a ton of "hype" right now is that FOX is focusing on marketing DAYS OF FUTURE PAST. They'll probably start really hyping this at a different point, when DAYS OF FUTURE PAST hype has died down a bit.
We arnt even talking major marketing... The cast, writers, and directors have said ridiculously little. That kind of marketing is free and priceless. Hell trank himself seems as if he couldn't be less excited

[=]
Old 03-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #99
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I think TASM2 will do better too, because it won't be tainted by being a reboot. People quite frankly are rather sick of reboots/remakes and just being one is a hard sell. See Robocop for the latest example.
Agreed, plus while TASM wasn't hated. Most Spider-Man fans DID like Garfield in the movie, and most seemed to at least like it. I thought it was an inferior attempt at the origin and hated several moments/elements, but I do think it had a foundation for a good sequel. Plus, Sony has done a good job keeping the movie in the public eye.

I know FOX has X-Men to sell, but Marvel has been hyping multiple superhero films for years. Why can't FOX engineer more hype for FF, which shoots in like 20 days, and DoFP doesn't come out til May? Makes no sense. Especially when all the buzz for it to this point is negative. Should't they want to nip that in the butt?

Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #100
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
All three of which are much bigger brands than Fantastic Four. The first two also had the benefit of following hugely popular films. In the case of X3, the backlash was so deep that the X-Men film franchise still hasn't recovered.
I really wouldnt say that. X3 grossed the most and the general public seened to enjoy it. Im not afraid to admit parts i still enjoy as well.

X-Men Origins was the major wound imo....

[=]
Closed Thread