The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #101
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fantastic Four reborn! - - - Part 12

I'm hoping that this is actually a good enough film that avoids stupid decisions (like a female Doctor Doom) and instead gets it right most of the time. I don't care if it's a reboot, I just want to see a good movie. One with lots of playful banter between the team and a decent villain. I'm hearing that the origin is the Ultimate one. That sets up Annihilus pretty well so I don't mind it. I just want this to be a decent film that sets up further sequels and more importantly, gets the franchise back on track.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #102
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I'm hoping that this is actually a good enough film that avoids stupid decisions (like a female Doctor Doom) and instead gets it right most of the time. I don't care if it's a reboot, I just want to see a good movie. One with lots of playful banter between the team and a decent villain. I'm hearing that the origin is the Ultimate one. That sets up Annihilus pretty well so I don't mind it. I just want this to be a decent film that sets up further sequels and more importantly, gets the franchise back on track.
It was once on track?

Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #103
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
It was once on track?
Okay, poor choice of words. More like it does the series justice, particularly the Stan Lee, John Byrne and Jonathan Hickman runs as well as the early Bendis and Millar issues in the Ultimate Universe.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 AM   #104
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Fantastic Four:

Ultimate Fantastic Four:

Similarities are superficial while differences are profound. They're not the same thing. They're not interchangeable. Ultimate Fantastic Four is not 'close enough'.

Ultimate Fantastic Four is not the Fantastic Four.

If this film is based on Ultimate Fantastic Four it is not a Fantastic Four film and it doesn't deserve the title.

Putting a Fantastic Four title on an Ultimate Fantastic Four film is putting lipstick on a pig.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-11-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #105
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Fantastic Four:

Ultimate Fantastic Four:

Trank's Fantastic Four:

Fixed.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #106
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Fixed.

In fairness to Trank, it could also end up being this:

But what we know is that it he can't start with Ultimate Fantastic Four and end up with Fantastic Four.

I don't understand people saying: "But it's going to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four." as if that makes it acceptable.

If it is based on UFF, I wish Fox would come out and say that, because then I can stop wasting my time.

If they're going to do UFF, then I'm going to switch from the: "Not looking good, but I'll withhold judgement until we have more." camp to the: "I guess I'll just have to wait until Marvel gets the rights back." camp.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #107
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:

In fairness to Trank, it could also end up being this:

But what we know is that it he can't start with Ultimate Fantastic Four and end up with Fantastic Four.

I don't understand people saying: "But it's going to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four." as if that makes it acceptable.

If it is based on UFF, I wish Fox would come out and say that, because then I can stop wasting my time.

If they're going to do UFF, then I'm going to switch from the: "Not looking good, but I'll withhold judgement until we have more." camp to the: "I guess I'll just have to wait until Marvel gets the rights back." camp.
lol, it will definitely end up leaving a fowl stench in its wake.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #108
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

No one's saying that it's based on UFF. The only thing anyone is saying is that, like UFF, the team is skewing younger than normal. So far, that's the only similarity.

And really, you've been withholding judgement up until this point? Because it hasn't sounded like it.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #109
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
And really, you've been withholding judgement up until this point? Because it hasn't sounded like it.
Show me the quote you feel is judging and I'll explain it.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #110
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

BTW is that Captain America riding that geese bike? He looks like he has a WWII Cap helmet with the wings painted on the side.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #111
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
BTW is that Captain America riding that geese bike? He looks like he has a WWII Cap helmet with the wings painted on the side.

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #112
Jason Kane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
It also had a bunch of defenders on this board saying about how it was going to be a huge success.

I specifically remember one guy who claimed that Goku was more popular and more well known by the general public than Batman.
LMAO!!! Tell me, is that person enjoying his lifetime supply of crow

Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #113
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.
It's the Fox Universe version of Cap. There's nothing inherent about the character that says he needs to be in a star spangled uniform, carry a shield or that he can't have geese surrounding his "motorbike".

Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #114
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
It's the Fox Universe version of Cap. There's nothing inherent about the character that says he needs to be in a star spangled uniform, carry a shield or that he can't have geese surrounding his "motorbike".

Yeah, after all, Joe Kowalski drew him like that on the back cover of his notebook during Mrs. Kravitz's social studies class, so it's an established and perfectly legitimate variation of the character.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #115
Kevin Smith
Banned User

My MARVEL STUDIOS FANTASTIC FOUR dream cast (as of this post):

It's no secret the Josh Trank Fantastic Four cast is pretty much universally hated by everyone except industry suck ups. We're all hoping that MARVEL STUDIOS gets the rights back to its first family so justice can one day hopefully be done to The World's Greatest Comic Magazine.

But in the mean time, in an alternate reality, here is my cast for a new Fantastic Four film, please chime in with your thoughts about who you'd cast and if you like it, gang.

Billy Crudup as Reed Richards/Mister Fantastic

Billy Crudup can play older and smart, somewhat quiet and a natural leader. Has a gentle/meek yet strong quality about him.

Charlize Theron as Sue Storm/Richards/Invisible Woman

Charlize Theron can play smart and strong, lead character if necessary, has a mature gravitas about her.

Ryan Kwanten as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch

Ryan Kwanten can play brash, young, and cocky character with sense of humor, ladies man type, but also likeable, has a youthfulness about him. (Him or possibly Mike Vogel)

Mark Wahlberg as Ben Grimm/The Thing

I'll be damned if Mark Wahlberg hasn't been playing the part of Ben Grimm all his life: he's a former gang member from the streets who's become world famous, he's made a career out of playing "tough guy with a heart of gold" types, plus he is handsome and physically attractive which of course adds to the tragedy of Ben Grimm/The Thing, and you know he could do the accent/voice. Plus maybe it helps to me that he's already played an astronaut/pilot before too...

Mads Mikkelsen as Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom

Or Jason Isaacs (my first choice for Sinestro if Mark Strong never plays him again) as Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom

Or Stephen Moyer as Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom

ANY of the guys I listed as Dr Doom -

They all have a "darkness" and/or a "sinister"ness about them, and that "you're not from around here, are ya, boy?" look about them that the ruler of Latveria might have. Also very commanding, charismatic, sexy, leading man qualities, Mads Mikkelsen, Jason Isaacs, and Stephen Moyer ALL steal the scenes in whatever project they're in.

My cast isn't perfect, I out it together rather quickly off the top of my head to see if I could come up with a group of actors that I are least liked better than the current Josh Trank FOX cast (which, not surprisingly, wasn't very hard), and I actually like this cast a LOT better than the current one.

So now it's your turn, guys. I know MARVEL STUDIOS could make it happen and make it epic...and yes, I know we're only getting more than two Marvel character based movies this year because studios other than Marvel have rights to their characters, but I would rather have two quality Marvel films a year than a bunch of crappy ones, I'm patient, I'd rather wait a while to get a good movie than accept a bunch of crap because it's immediate.

Oh, and I'd have Michael Giacchino (Super 8) or David Arnold, possibly Howard Shore, do the soundtrack (and I loved John Ottman's scores for the first two films, one of the highlights of the films for me, the awesome opening title sequence to the first film should have been left in the theatrical cut instead of being cut out (available in the extended edition for those curious)).

What do you think, guys? Who would you cast?

Old 03-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #116
Kevin Smith
Banned User

I just watched Chronicle again for the first time in a while the other day, and while I liked it for what it was and was entertained by it, I definitely do NOT want FF serving as a spiritual sequel to it. Chronicle is not the FF all.

Is it at least a possibility Marvel will get the rights to FF back one day?

Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #117
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post

It's no secret the Josh Trank Fantastic Four cast is pretty much universally hated by everyone except industry suck ups. We're all hoping that MARVEL STUDIOS gets the rights back to its first family so justice can one day hopefully be done to The World's Greatest Comic Magazine.

But in the mean time, in an alternate reality, here is my cast for a new Fantastic Four film, please chime in with your thoughts about who you'd cast and if you like it, gang.

Billy Crudup as Reed Richards/Mister Fantastic

Billy Crudup can play older and smart, somewhat quiet and a natural leader. Has a gentle/meek yet strong quality about him.

Charlize Theron as Sue Storm/Richards/Invisible Woman

Charlize Theron can play smart and strong, lead character if necessary, has a mature gravitas about her.

Ryan Kwanten as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch

Ryan Kwanten can play brash, young, and cocky character with sense of humor, ladies man type, but also likeable, has a youthfulness about him. (Him or possibly Mike Vogel)

Mark Wahlberg as Ben Grimm/The Thing

I'll be damned if Mark Wahlberg hasn't been playing the part of Ben Grimm all his life: he's a former gang member from the streets who's become world famous, he's made a career out of playing "tough guy with a heart of gold" types, plus he is handsome and physically attractive which of course adds to the tragedy of Ben Grimm/The Thing, and you know he could do the accent/voice. Plus maybe it helps to me that he's already played an astronaut/pilot before too...

Mads Mikkelsen as Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom

Or Jason Isaacs (my first choice for Sinestro if Mark Strong never plays him again) as Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom

Or Stephen Moyer as Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom

ANY of the guys I listed as Dr Doom -

They all have a "darkness" and/or a "sinister"ness about them, and that "you're not from around here, are ya, boy?" look about them that the ruler of Latveria might have. Also very commanding, charismatic, sexy, leading man qualities, Mads Mikkelsen, Jason Isaacs, and Stephen Moyer ALL steal the scenes in whatever project they're in.

My cast isn't perfect, I out it together rather quickly off the top of my head to see if I could come up with a group of actors that I are least liked better than the current Josh Trank FOX cast (which, not surprisingly, wasn't very hard), and I actually like this cast a LOT better than the current one.

So now it's your turn, guys. I know MARVEL STUDIOS could make it happen and make it epic...and yes, I know we're only getting more than two Marvel character based movies this year because studios other than Marvel have rights to their characters, but I would rather have two quality Marvel films a year than a bunch of crappy ones, I'm patient, I'd rather wait a while to get a good movie than accept a bunch of crap because it's immediate.

Oh, and I'd have Michael Giacchino (Super 8) or David Arnold, possibly Howard Shore, do the soundtrack (and I loved John Ottman's scores for the first two films, one of the highlights of the films for me, the awesome opening title sequence to the first film should have been left in the theatrical cut instead of being cut out (available in the extended edition for those curious)).

What do you think, guys? Who would you cast?
All of them would be fine. I'd prefer Bruce Greenwood as Reed though, and someone else as Johnny. Can't think who. But that cast is a hell of a lot better than Trank's cast.

I wouldn't want Fox making this movie though. I think Fox don't value the FF anywhere as much as the X-Men, because they simply don't cast the calibre of actors like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, James McEvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Kelsey Grammer, Ellen Page etc for the FF whatsoever. None have EVER been in that league of award-winning actors, Story or Trank versions.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #118
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post

Ideally, I'd like to shave at least 10 years off all of them, but it's certainly an upgrade at every spot. It would also be a lot more expensive than the current cast and I suspect Fox is going to try to do this as cheaply as possible.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #119
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Okay. I was thinking to myself: "I'll bet I could get a better cast than Teller's by picking names out of a hat."

So I decided to try an experiment. I typed "male actors" into google and then clicked on 'images' and took the first three photos that came up. Then I typed "female actresses" and took the first one that came up.

Ladies and gentlemen, I now present the FF cast from random names picked out of a hat:

Ben Grimm - Adam Sandler

Reed Richards - Gerard Butler

Johnny Storm - Michael Trevino

Sue Storm - Reese Witherspoon

Great cast? No. Better cast than what we actually got even though the names were completely randomly chosen? I think an argument could be made.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-11-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #120
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
All of them would be fine. I'd prefer Bruce Greenwood as Reed though, and someone else as Johnny. Can't think who. But that cast is a hell of a lot better than Trank's cast.

I wouldn't want Fox making this movie though. I think Fox don't value the FF anywhere as much as the X-Men, because they simply don't cast the calibre of actors like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, James McEvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Kelsey Grammer, Ellen Page etc for the FF whatsoever. None have EVER been in that league of award-winning actors, Story or Trank versions.
Greenwood would be interesting and I agree, I don't want FOX ever touching FF again. They really need to be home at Marvel.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #121
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to shave at least 10 years off all of them, but it's certainly an upgrade at every spot. It would also be a lot more expensive than the current cast and I suspect Fox is going to try to do this as cheaply as possible.
Yeah, no way FOX wants to spend any money on quality foe FF. Very sad.

And I'm glad you liked my cast, man!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #122
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Okay. I was thinking to myself: "I'll bet I could get a better cast than Teller's by picking names out of a hat."

So I decided to try an experiment. I typed "male actors" into google and then clicked on 'images' and took the first three photos that came up. Then I typed "female actresses" and took the first one that came up.

Ladies and gentlemen, I now present the FF cast from random names picked out of a hat:

Ben Grimm - Adam Sandler

Great cast? No. Better cast than what we actually got even though the names were completely randomly chosen? I think an argument could be made.

Let me be the first to make that argument.

This cast > Trank's cast.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #123
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:

Ben Grimm - Adam Sandler

I'd easily pick that cast over Trank's one. And if it were chosen at random, then that maybe suggests that Trank's wasn't, and that he specifically picked the worst bunch of actors he could, not even out of a hat.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #124
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:

Ben Grimm - Adam Sandler

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I wouldn't go so far as to say this cast is better, pretty much due to Sandler, but certain people here would likely support it if it really were Trank's cast (I'm looking at you The Question ).

You officially have no life.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #125
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthenerds View Post

I wouldn't go so far as to say this cast is better, pretty much due to Sandler, but certain people here would likely support it if it really were Trank's cast (I'm looking at you The Question ).

I think that if this cast had hypothetically been announced, I'd think: "Why the dark-haired, dark-skinned guy for Johnny? And Adam Sandler?!?!"

But I also think I'd be a little intrigued. Sandler's Jewish, he's from Brooklyn and Ben is known for his sense of humor. I think I'd be most skeptical of that choice, but still interested to see what they'd do.

And I think I'd feel that at least a reasonably tradtional FF could be possible with that cast.