The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:45 AM   #51
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

I'm surprised that some people are so surprised that Mackie was great as the Falcon. Has Anthony Mackie EVER given a bad performance, because if he has then I haven't seen it? Also, the quotes about BW/female characters being awesome really make me smile.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #52
Suzanne78
Abs Without Fear

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

And...
Quote:
@GermainLussier: Captain America: The Winter Soldier is awesome. A tad too long, a tad too plotty, but its action & MCU impact will blow your damn mind.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 AM   #53
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

MCU impact eh?

No more SHIELD? Cap takes over? Civil War set-up?

I hope there's some impact. IM3 and Thor 2 were such filler stories.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-11-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #54
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

LOL, someone complaining its too long.

- CM Punk
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 AM   #55
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Yeah, seriously.

My one legitimate negative criticism was that the music was nothing special (other than Winter Soldier's theme). I wish they stuck more with Silvestri's theme, although I suppose that full score wouldn't fit as well with TWS' tone.

Oh, and there was a moment where the CGI didn't look 100% complete. Maybe they'll have time to fix that?

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 03-11-2014, 02:21 AM   #56
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
What's funny about this? Maybe he thought the movie lost steam at the end or something.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:19 AM   #57
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
What's funny about this? Maybe he thought the movie lost steam at the end or something.
I think he's just amused at a different wrinkle to the old runtime debacle, which usually has people worried about a film being too short.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #58
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
For the longest time people complaining that these movies are too short. This movie isn't much longer than the others, but it's probably the second longest MCU after The Avengers. And someone complains about it. The irony.

- CM Punk
Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 AM   #59
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

Ahhh. k.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 AM   #60
DarkPhoenix82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
Yeah, seriously.

My one legitimate negative criticism was that the music was nothing special (other than Winter Soldier's theme). I wish they stuck more with Silvestri's theme, although I suppose that full score wouldn't fit as well with TWS' tone.
Then we're pretty much on the same page. I liked a few moments but in general, the music didn't get me.

@Suzanne: Do you want to know about that one line? :P I mean, it's not like it isn't spoiled already

Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #61
Destined
BOSS

This is so exciting! I'm so turnt up for this film! And these early reactions are Majah!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #62
Raiden
Chewie, we're home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix82 View Post
Then we're pretty much on the same page. I liked a few moments but in general, the music didn't get me.

@Suzanne: Do you want to know about that one line? :P I mean, it's not like it isn't spoiled already
I really wish Marvel would try to find a composer who can give their movie some amazing and iconic scores, but it seems to me that Marvel doesn't consider it a top priority so we have had so few memorable themes in MCU. Maybe someday they will get it.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #63
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

I'm not Suzanne but I want to know! Please?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #64
Lightsplasher
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I really wish Marvel would try to find a composer who can give their movie some amazing and iconic scores, but it seems to me that Marvel doesn't consider it a top priority so we have had so few memorable themes in MCU. Maybe someday they will get it.
They are trying to improve that , Tyler Bates will probably make a good score for GOTG and I'm sure Steven Price will deliver a perfect score for Ant-Man !
Quote:

Was it like MoS or TDKR when we constantly had music playing or was it only there for action scenes or something like that ?

Last edited by Lightsplasher; 03-11-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #65
DarkPhoenix82
Side-Kick

They tuned it up in the action scenes, otherwise it was mostly quiet and didn't disturb me, and that's the most I expect out of a soundtrack these days. I'm really hoping for a bigger emotional impact in AOU.

Xeno:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Well, that one spoiler pic with the Bucky finger pretty much nailed it already *G*. We've got that line once in a flashback scene with Steve and Bucky and Steve gives it back to him in the end battle then which makes a crucial difference in that duel.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #66
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Ok just twitter reactions...must...control.....expectations ....arrrrrghghh!!!!!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #67
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
They tuned it up in the action scenes, otherwise it was mostly quiet and didn't disturb me, and that's the most I expect out of a soundtrack these days. I'm really hoping for a bigger emotional impact in AOU.

Xeno:
Well, that one spoiler pic with the Bucky finger pretty much nailed it already *G*. We've got that line once in a flashback scene with Steve and Bucky and Steve gives it back to him in the end battle then which makes a crucial difference in that duel.
Thanks! I thought it was spoken in an entirely different context in a scene from the comic book
when the elderly Peggy died with Steve at her bedside. No one has said that Peggy dies in the film but I'm afraid she will.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #68
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Great to hear that the reactions are all positive. Now I just hope that the movie lives up to the positive reactions. lol. I've been through this many times before. With this one I don't have any problem believing the hype though. From all I've seen it definitely looks to be the best since Avengers. And on that note, it is really hard for a solo film to top the majesty and awe of a team-up movie like the Avengers. That was the first of its kind and it is not easy to beat an experience like that.

Unbroken- 8/10, Night at the Museum 3- 7/10, Taken 3- 6/10, Jupiter Ascending- 4/10, McFarland USA- 8/10, Cinderella- 8.5/10, Home- 6/10, Furious 7- 7/10, Monkey Kingdom- 8/10, Avengers: Age of Ultron- 9/10, Mad Max: Fury Road- 8.5/10, Tomorrowland- 7.5/10, Jurassic World- 8/10, Inside Out- 10/10, Ant Man- 9/10, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation- 9.5/10, Fantastic Four- 4/10, Man From U.N.C.L.E.- 7/10
Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #69
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

I imagine the story could be stronger (it's not difficult to beat Avengers on that front imo).

Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #70
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
I imagine the story could be stronger (it's not difficult to beat Avengers on that front imo).
That's true. Sounds like the story is pretty focused and intriguing. And I'm glad to hear that this is the darkest Marvel film yet. It is a pretty serious story,Cap isn't a super jokey character, and he doesn't have a bunch of comedy relief friends.

Unbroken- 8/10, Night at the Museum 3- 7/10, Taken 3- 6/10, Jupiter Ascending- 4/10, McFarland USA- 8/10, Cinderella- 8.5/10, Home- 6/10, Furious 7- 7/10, Monkey Kingdom- 8/10, Avengers: Age of Ultron- 9/10, Mad Max: Fury Road- 8.5/10, Tomorrowland- 7.5/10, Jurassic World- 8/10, Inside Out- 10/10, Ant Man- 9/10, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation- 9.5/10, Fantastic Four- 4/10, Man From U.N.C.L.E.- 7/10
Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #71
Ms. Marvel
Master Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
That's true. Sounds like the story is pretty focused and intriguing. And I'm glad to hear that this is the darkest Marvel film yet. It is a pretty serious story,Cap isn't a super jokey character, and he doesn't have a bunch of comedy relief friends.
I don't mind comic relief characters, as long as they have an actual purpose.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #72
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

I'm hoping the story is good at least. Nothing in the trailer has really grabbed me yet (both from an action and story standpoint), but the premise seems like it has potential.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #73
Raiden
Chewie, we're home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Neither is Thor, but the mistake was to have Darcy and that intern in TDW which ruined several tension-filled scenes with their antics. Thankfully the Russo brothers wisely kept this kind of comedy out of TWS.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #74
FeedOnATreeFrog
(A Metal Gear reference)

For me, if Darcy wasn't in the movie, I probably would have fallen asleep. I don't think the story would have been able to create any tension anyways.

But Darcy and the comedy is more of a bandaid solution for keeping the audience awake. The better solution would have been just to create a more compelling conflict/story.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #75
Raiden
Chewie, we're home!

Quote:
For me, if Darcy wasn't in the movie, I probably would have fallen asleep. I don't think the story would have been able to create any tension anyways.

But Darcy and the comedy is more of a bandaid solution for keeping the audience awake. The better solution would have been just to create a more compelling conflict/story.
I disagree. I think they can make a movie with compelling story for Thor, and in fact they have done it plenty of times in the comic book. I think the scenes on Asgard and the other Realms were the best, and if they had incorporated Sif and the Warriors Three more, the movie would've been better already. I understand that they wanted to use Jane as the reason for Thor to pay more attention to Midgard/Earth, but imo there are other ways to accomplish it.

Closed Thread