The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #76
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Neither is Thor, but the mistake was to have Darcy and that intern in TDW which ruined several tension-filled scenes with their antics. Thankfully the Russo brothers wisely kept this kind of comedy out of TWS.
Darcy is the most useless and unnecessary character in any of Marvel's films. Comic relief characters have no place, especially in a film that was short and had so many characters who could have used more development. Any comedy should be more organic, arising from interactions between the major characters. Markus & McFeeley are much stronger writers than the team that wrote TDW so they don't need crutches like fluff characters to pad out the script.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #77
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Darcy is the most useless and unnecessary character in any of Marvel's films. Comic relief characters have no place, especially in a film that was short and had so many characters who could have used more development. Any comedy should be more organic, arising from interactions between the major characters. Markus & McFeeley are much stronger writers than the team that wrote TDW so they don't need crutches like fluff characters to pad out the script.
Weren't they part of TDW team?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #78
First Avenger
Side-Kick

^Yes with Chris Yost.BUT,they were not the original writers.I think Marvel made a wise choice giving Thor 3 to Yost and Kyle from the get-go.

Last edited by First Avenger; 03-11-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #79
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
I disagree. I think they can make a movie with compelling story for Thor, and in fact they have done it plenty of times in the comic book. I think the scenes on Asgard and the other Realms were the best, and if they had incorporated Sif and the Warriors Three more, the movie would've been better already. I understand that they wanted to use Jane as the reason for Thor to pay more attention to Midgard/Earth, but imo there are other ways to accomplish it.
I just meant that whatever story stuff they had already given us in the movie wasn't compelling enough, especially on its own.

Of course I think a Thor story could be compelling if done right, like the first movie, in my opinion.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-11-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #80
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

I can't remember if I included Don Kaye's tweet (he contributes at Den of Geek and Moviefone), so:

Quote:
‏@donkaye 7h
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER is right up there as one of the best Marvel movies ever. Epic and full of great surprises for fans.
I honestly cannot remember, but what was the early Twitter reactions for TDW and IM3?

So many places are still so hurt over those two movies, LOL! TDW, I kind of get, but I always thought IM3 was one of the best constructed, most tightly written and plotted of the Marvel Studio films. Like, you could tell a screenwriter WROTE the heck out of that movie. Basically, just like The Avengers. I think IM3's main problem was that it was marketed differently than it was, and people were upset that it wasn't darker. Except I adored it so much, so...

Judging from the sound of it, CA:TWS follows in the same footsteps of having an extremely tight script and two directors who knew exactly what they wanted to do, tonally and vision-wise. I'm trying to make sense of what Germaine meant by "tad too plotty"… that maybe it's part of the convention of the political thriller that the Russos were playing with. I don't know.

But even with the criticisms I've seen (the score's not distinct enough, it may be a little too long, too plotty…) It seems like we have something really special on our hands with this movie! So exciting!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #81
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Perhaps the details of the plot just didn't interest him that much.

I know a lot of people feel this way about TDKRises. Marking the trucks, using the Greyhound, planting the signal blocker, connecting the bomb to a source, "turn the truck east!", etc etc

....I hope to God I'm not one of these people with this movie.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-11-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #82
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Some more reactions this morning, this one from Mike Sampson of Screencrush.

Quote:
Mike Sampson ‏@mjsamps 3m
Hold on, we're allowed to be tweeting about Captain America 2 now? OK, well, than I can chime in too: it's fantastic.
It looks like Mike Ryan from HuffPo (he writes some incredible profiles with celebs and sometimes livetweets cinematic turkeys, I love him!!) may have seen it; waiting to see if he posts something.

ETA; He did… and I kind of love his tweet:

Quote:
Mike Ryan ‏@mikeryan 3m
I saw Captain America 2 last week and I really enjoyed watching it, but when I try to explain the plot out loud I sound like a crazy person.
The reactions from the press are more along the lines of what they saw from the prescreenings of The Avengers. They are gushing over this movie, at least the ones who saw it so far and have chimed in. And even the ones that point out some minor flaws, or are more negative, still say the movie is awesome.

My expectations are becoming impossible to manage.

Quote:
ScreenCrush ‏@screencrushnews 4m
We have seen @CaptainAmerica 2 and while we can't say much (yet), we can say that it's fantastic and you won't be disappointed.
Quote:
Sarah ‏@Cinesnark 7m
Totally is. RT @slashfilm: Early Buzz: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' May Be Marvel's Best Yet http://bit.ly/1iwVBAB
Quote:
Sarah ‏@Cinesnark 6m
I won't quibble with people who prefer Iron Man, but Captain America 2 is Marvel's best, most cohesive effort to date. cc @slashfilm
This dude's a contributor (editor?) at VICE.com.

Quote:
Josef Zorn ‏@theZeffo 4m
saw CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER many people die in that one. kinda like HEAT meets BOURNE meet secrets nazis. dark and i kinda like dark

Last edited by Suzanne78; 03-11-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #83
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Weren't they part of TDW team?
Markus & McFeeley were brought in after the script was complete to do a polish on it. Joss Whedon flew in to London and spent a few days trying to help cobble together some scenes that weren't working. Basically, it appears that once Feige realized that the script wasn't in good shape he called an all hands on deck/Hail Mary writer's confab in a last-ditch effort to get it together. That they managed to get a good (not great) movie out of what they had is a minor miracle.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #84
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I'm glad to see Cap getting positive reaction, he's deserves the spotlight.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #85
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

Quote:
I liked Darcy.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #86
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 8 View Post
I liked Darcy.
That's nice.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #87
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
I'm glad to see Cap getting positive reaction, he's deserves the spotlight.
This year is, like, the exact opposite of 2011, when Thor had the first CBM opening date in May. Marvel/Paramount promoted the heck out of Thor and kind of let Cap alone, at least that's what it felt like to me as I was anticipating CA:TFA greatly that year.

This year, Marvel/Disney have more than made up for any deficiencies in promoting the first Cap movie. They're treating TWS more like The Avengers but on a smaller scale. Yet it looks like it's getting similar buzz from movie geeks and blogs like Avengers did.

I'm so happy! Cap's my favorite Avenger, and I love that he's getting the spotlight.

More reactions… I don't know if people want to see random reactions from non-blogger types or what, but I'm just posting whatever I find on the Twitters:

Quote:
Josh Hatala ‏@jmhatala 31m
The #CaptainAmerica sequel is mature & plot-driven while still delivering action with real stakes for characters and the MCU...

Last edited by Suzanne78; 03-11-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #88
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Markus & McFeeley were brought in after the script was complete to do a polish on it. Joss Whedon flew in to London and spent a few days trying to help cobble together some scenes that weren't working. Basically, it appears that once Feige realized that the script wasn't in good shape he called an all hands on deck/Hail Mary writer's confab in a last-ditch effort to get it together. That they managed to get a good (not great) movie out of what they had is a minor miracle.
Feige should've tried to fix the 3rd act of TDW, because that was the weakest part of TDW and I think its shortcomings dragged the movie down. I enjoyed most of the movie but the ending wasn't very good, turning what was supposed to be an epic battle into a predicable one with awkward comedic moments.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #89
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Thanks Suzanne, I've been reading all these tweets you keep posting and I'm really liking all the positive reactions!

I'm also glad Cap is getting the spotlight, I love it when my favorite characters get (more) popular.

I'll probably end up seeing this with my sister if all else fails. She's the one who dragged me to go see the Avengers (along with my brother and cousin) and I loved that movie, so she'll probably want to go see this one (even though she's a huge Iron Man fan (as far as the movies go)).

Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #90
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Cap has always been my favorite Avenger for along time. Glad to see he's getting good publicity outside of animations and the comics.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 03-11-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #91
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Captain America 2 Early Buzz

Be mindful of spoilers, but I think there's only one regarding Winter Soldier's secret identity, so read at your own risk.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #92
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Captain America 2 Early Buzz

Be mindful of spoilers, but I think there's only one regarding Winter Soldier's secret identity, so read at your own risk.
Pfft, everyone knows Robert Redford is playing Alexander Pierce AND The Winter Soldier.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #93
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

From John Campea, of AMC Movie News:

Quote:
John Campea ‏@johncampea 3m
Captain America 2 might be the best Marvel movie yet. Still processing, but it's insanely good.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #94
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Are these reactions similar to the reactions for Thor 2 and IM3?

Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #95
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

From the RT critics and movie bloggers? T:TDW was less enthusiastic. This is approaching The Avengers-level gushing.

From the mommy bloggers/lifestyle bloggers in attendance; they really liked the humor/Loki in TDW, but the CA:TWS they're focusing on the acting (esp. Widow and Mackie), the action, and saying it's Marvel's best movie yet.

I don't have a complete list of TDW reactions though, so I'm going off by memory.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #96
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

Wow....awesome reviews.

Last year was a disappointing year for me.... IM3, TW & TDW all somewhat disappointed me (especially IM3).

Hopefully TWS lives up to all its reviews so far and sets the standard for the rest of the comic book movies this year.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #97
Lightsplasher
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
From the RT critics and movie bloggers? T:TDW was less enthusiastic. This is approaching The Avengers-level gushing.

From the mommy bloggers/lifestyle bloggers in attendance; they really liked the humor/Loki in TDW, but the CA:TWS they're focusing on the acting (esp. Widow and Mackie), the action, and saying it's Marvel's best movie yet.

I don't have a complete list of TDW reactions though, so I'm going off by memory.
Yup , the reviews were mixed and pretty much said it was decent

Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #98
Lightsplasher
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Cap has always been my favorite Avenger for along time. Glad to see he's getting good publicity outside of animations and the comics.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
That show totally nailed Cap' IMO , that Red Skull's episode , the flashbacks , the one with the WS , the Captain Skrull , they were all awesome and seeing Cap' having this much importance in the team was so good !

Last edited by Lightsplasher; 03-11-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #99
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It defently seems like this could challenge the first Iron Man as best solo film.

The most serious and dark marvel studios film Is what I wanted to hear.

It defently sounds like they aren't repating Iron man 3 and thor films here.

This means I spend money on Winter soldier

Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #100
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Okay fellas, I've had time to sleep on Captain America: The Winter Soldier, giving the experience time to fully process in my mind. After much critical analysis, the conclusion I've derived can be summed up in three words:

IT IS BRILLIANT.

Simultaneously emotional, thrilling, and sad, The Winter Soldier is Marvel's most perfectly complete film to date.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread