The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
EssayM
Just A Guy

Default Things That Would Get You Interested In This Movie

What sort of news or developments would get those of you who hate this project at least somewhat interested in seeing it? Keep in mind, we're assuming that changing the cast, crew, and studio is not an option, and if you say something like "I want the filmmakers to show that they actually care about the source material", you have to give something specific that they could do to prove this to you.

Personally, this is my list:

• Stan Lee gives his blessing and agrees to a cameo (granted, that doesn't always mean much, but it's usually a good sign).
  • Trank and Kinberg give concrete answers about the tone and direction they want for the movie, and then come to Comic-Con with some cool-looking clips and concept art to back it up.
  • Teller, Jordan, Mara, and Bell go into detail about their understanding of their respective characters and how they intend to portray them.
  • A solid, at-least-somewhat-intimidating actor is cast as Doom (or whoever the villain happens to be).
  • A trailer that really gets you pumped up and makes the whole thing look as epic as possible.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Joe Rockhead
Side-Kick

Default Re: Things That Would Get You Interested In This Movie

Change the title to something more appropriate like Chronicle 2.

Joe Rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
EssayM
Just A Guy

Now that's just finding a loophole.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
The Endless
Side-Kick

The casting of Doom and a solid teaser will go a long way to restoring some faith for me.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I am interested in seeing the film and I don't hate the project, so I can't answer the question as it was asked.

I am highly skeptical, and I think it would be nearly impossible for the studio - after giving us two crap movies and showing no tangible signs of changing their ways up to this point - to remove that skepticism any time soon.

The best thing they could do over the next couple months is spend some time convincing me that they respect the source material (the source material being the 50 year run, not UFF), they want to bring the source material to the big-screen and they're investing appropriate resources to bring that source material to the screen.

The problem is words at this point won't sway me (unless those words are crafted much better than I believe anyone associated with this project is capable of delivering). People associated with the first two films spent time telling us they were doing the right things but ultimately didn't, so I will greet any similar words we get now with the cynicism that Fox earned with their past performance.

Production sketches could do a lot, but I'm sure they won't reveal those at this point.

I think the only realistic chance they have - up until the point they unveil a trailer - is to deliver a consistent message that they value and understand these characters and intend to do everything possible to invest the time, talent and money to do them right. And they need to make sure their actions (in terms of all the things we can actually observe) are consistent with that message.

Since everything up until this point has pretty much been the exact 180 degree opposite of that, I would be very surprised if they start now - but that doesn't mean I won't continue to hope.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-11-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Jason Kane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rockhead View Post
THIS! And only this!

Jason Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
Zarex
Side-Kick

I have been hoping for some time now for the rights to revert to Marvel and for the First Family take their rightful place in the MCU. Given that I really didn't want FOX to make this film, it would have taken an extraordinary effort on the part of FOX to convince me, and I am sure other long time fans of the team, to give this project a chance.

FOX needed to cast actors who appear to have jumped off the pages of the Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine, provide a budget competitive with the other high profile Sony, FOX, WB, and Marvel projects, promise a fantastic "non-grounded" storyline and refrain from retelling an origin story that doesn't need repeating. Since FOX failed on all of this points, Trank and his cast could make the Citizen Kane of mutated cosmic adventurer superhero films and I won't pay to watch it.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I am interested in seeing the film and I don't hate the project, so I can't answer the question as it was asked.

I am highly skeptical, and I think it would be nearly impossible for the studio - after giving us two crap movies and showing no tangible signs of changing their ways up to this point - to remove that skepticism any time soon.

The best thing they could do over the next couple months is spend some time convincing me that they respect the source material (the source material being the 50 year run, not UFF), they want to bring the source material to the big-screen and they're investing appropriate resources to bring that source material to the screen.

The problem is words at this point won't sway me (unless those words are crafted much better than I believe anyone associated with this project is capable of delivering). People associated with the first two films spent time telling us they were doing the right things but ultimately didn't, so I will greet any similar words we get now with the cynicism that Fox earned with their past performance.

Production sketches could do a lot, but I'm sure they won't reveal those at this point.

I think the only realistic chance they have - up until the point they unveil a trailer - is to deliver a consistent message that they value and understand these characters and intend to do everything possible to invest the time, talent and money to do them right. And they need to make sure their actions (in terms of all the things we can actually observe) are consistent with that message.

Since everything up until this point has pretty much been the exact 180 degree opposite of that, I would be very surprised if they start now - but that doesn't mean I won't continue to hope.
The film actually is based on UFF (source) and they even hired Mark Millar as a "creative consultant" (source). So you're pretty much saying you'll never see this movie, even though it's based on a legitimate branch of the comics series and the last film to draw from its Ultimates counterpart, TASM, was incredibly successful.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I have been hoping for some time now for the rights to revert to Marvel and for the First Family take their rightful place in the MCU. Given that I really didn't want FOX to make this film, it would have taken an extraordinary effort on the part of FOX to convince me, and I am sure other long time fans of the team, to give this project a chance.

FOX needed to cast actors who appear to have jumped off the pages of the Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine, provide a budget competitive with the other high profile Sony, FOX, WB, and Marvel projects, promise a fantastic "non-grounded" storyline and refrain from retelling an origin story that doesn't need repeating. Since FOX failed on all of this points, Trank and his cast could make the Citizen Kane of mutated cosmic adventurer superhero films and I won't pay to watch it.
So basically, you have no answer to my question and just wanted to rant some more. Cool.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Overwhelmingly good reviews. Something like 80-85%+ at Rotten Tomatoes. Nothing else will get me in the theater.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Kevin Smith
Banned User

If The Thing looks really cool. That's about it pretty much.

That and maybe if Michael B Jordan isn't Johnny Storm or Kate Mara isn't Sue Storm and one of them has a different last name instead but even then I'm unsure because it's still pretty terrible.

This is probably the worst cast for a CBM I've ever seen.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rockhead View Post
Hahaha yeeessssssss.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
If The Thing looks really cool. That's about it pretty much.

That and maybe if Michael B Jordan isn't Johnny Storm or Kate Mara isn't Sue Storm and one of them has a different last name instead but even then I'm unsure because it's still pretty terrible.

This is probably the worst cast for a CBM I've ever seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
What sort of news or developments would get those of you who hate this project at least somewhat interested in seeing it? Keep in mind, we're assuming that changing the cast, crew, and studio is not an option, and if you say something like "I want the filmmakers to show that they actually care about the source material", you have to give something specific that they could do to prove this to you.
Way to read.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM
Stan Lee gives his blessing and agrees to a cameo (granted, that doesn't always mean much, but it's usually a good sign).
No it isn't. Stan Lee will give just about anything his blessing. He gave the last two FF movies his blessing. He was psyched for 1990's Captain America.
Quote:
Trank and Kinberg give concrete answers about the tone and direction they want for the movie, and then come to Comic-Con with some cool-looking clips and concept art to back it up.
As long as the tone isn't dark, edgy, or grounded. My gut tells me this will be edgy and grounded.
Quote:
Teller, Jordan, Mara, and Bell go into detail about their understanding of their respective characters and how they intend to portray them.
Sure it would be nice, but just because they understand their characters doesn't mean they're solid casting choices.
Quote:
A solid, at-least-somewhat-intimidating actor is cast as Doom (or whoever the villain happens to be).
That would be promising. Too bad it will probably be a woman.
Quote:
A trailer that really gets you pumped up and makes the whole thing look as epic as possible.
I don't trust trailers. Terrible movies can have great trailers, and vice versa.

Honestly, the only way I might pay to see this thing is if it gets rave reviews, or if some drastic change happens in production (page 1 rewrite).

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
The film actually is based on UFF (source) and they even hired Mark Millar as a "creative consultant" (source). So you're pretty much saying you'll never see this movie, even though it's based on a legitimate branch of the comics series and the last film to draw from its Ultimates counterpart, TASM, was incredibly successful.
I answered your question honestly and directly with the belief you were actually interested in opinions, but now I see you're more interested in twisting my words.

Play your game with someone else.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
A legitimately terrible branch of the comic series.

You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Nothing

Old 03-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
Ant-manic
Banned User

they had me at hello.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #19
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
I answered your question honestly and directly with the belief you were actually interested in opinions, but now I see you're more interested in twisting my words.

Play your game with someone else.
When did I say I wasn't interested in your opinion? Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I don't care. And I may have exaggerated your statement for comedic effect, but I wouldn't call that "twisting your words".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthenerds View Post
A legitimately terrible branch of the comic series.
Everyone seems to be saying that, but I don't recall anything particularly horrible about the few issues I read. Could someone tell me what exactly people didn't like about UFF?

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 03-11-2014 at 07:23 PM.
EssayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #20
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

I would be more interested if:

-Dr. Doom is male, and they nail the casting choice
-The synopsis of the film is nothing like the rumored one we heard about before
-The trailer is good

The fact this has absolutely no hype at all, no villain casted, and it is close to filming without these things frankly makes me nervous.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

A Fantastic male actor for Doom would get me interested for sure. I really hope he isn't as young as the F4 either

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #22
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
When did I say I wasn't interested in your opinion? Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I don't care. And I may have exaggerated your statement for comedic effect, but I wouldn't call that "twisting your words".
I apologize if I was too quick to dismiss you, but if you go back and read my post and then read what you claim I'm 'pretty much saying', you'll see that they're completely different things.

And I've had too many times when I've said something around here and had someone say: "So you're saying X." And then they argue against X even though I never said it, so I have to correct them and then they twist that etc. etc. I have no interest in that. I don't care if people have different opinions than me. I expect that, but if they claim I have opinions that I don't have, I feel the need to correct them. That can be a tedious process when someone wants to argue for the sake of arguing.

As I said in my post, I'm interested in this film and I don't hate it (I'll have to see it before I can hate it). And I will be seeing it (I paid $40 for a bootleg VHS of the Cormann film back when $40 was a lot of money and VHS existed).

The difference is, if they give me the film I want - a film based on the characters I fell in love with as a child - I will be excited about the film. I'll look forward to it and count down the days and discuss it on here and tell my friends about it and be there for the midnight show and maybe go back on Saturday and Sunday.

If they give me UFF or some other variation that has completely different characters with completely different relationships with completely different personalities with completely different motivations in completely different settings, I'll see it . . . at some point.

But I won't be excited.

At that point, it will be like Captain America to me. I'm not a big fan of Captain America. I'll see it, but it won't be a big deal.

It's like the difference between my wife and her sister. I love my wife. I've spent the last 27 years with my wife. Her sister looks sort of like her and sounds sort of like her and grew up in the same house etc. etc. etc., but she's not the woman I fell in love with.

If Fox doesn't give me the characters I fell in love with, it will be just another movie to me just like my sister-in-law is just another person to me.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
I apologize if I was too quick to dismiss you, but if you go back and read my post and then read what you claim I'm 'pretty much saying', you'll see that they're completely different things.

And I've had too many times when I've said something around here and had someone say: "So you're saying X." And then they argue against X even though I never said it, so I have to correct them and then they twist that etc. etc. I have no interest in that. I don't care if people have different opinions than me. I expect that, but if they claim I have opinions that I don't have, I feel the need to correct them. That can be a tedious process when someone wants to argue for the sake of arguing.

As I said in my post, I'm interested in this film and I don't hate it (I'll have to see it before I can hate it). And I will be seeing it (I paid $40 for a bootleg VHS of the Cormann film back when $40 was a lot of money and VHS existed).

The difference is, if they give me the film I want - a film based on the characters I fell in love with as a child - I will be excited about the film. I'll look forward to it and count down the days and discuss it on here and tell my friends about it and be there for the midnight show and maybe go back on Saturday and Sunday.

If they give me UFF or some other variation that has completely different characters with completely different relationships with completely different personalities with completely different motivations in completely different settings, I'll see it . . . at some point.

But I won't be excited.

At that point, it will be like Captain America to me. I'm not a big fan of Captain America. I'll see it, but it won't be a big deal.

It's like the difference between my wife and her sister. I love my wife. I've spent the last 27 years with my wife. Her sister looks sort of like her and sounds sort of like her and grew up in the same house etc. etc. etc., but she's not the woman I fell in love with.

If Fox doesn't give me the characters I fell in love with, it will be just another movie to me just like my sister-in-law is just another person to me.
That is fair and I totally respect that. I'm sorry if I was too hasty with you.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #24
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

I just deleted the junk in this thread. Please be civil and don't spam the thread.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 03-11-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #25
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Also, EssayM...people are allowed to say they either will never have interest in the movie, or would only have it if it was more like the traditional FF. You're not a thread nazi. If you don't like what people have to say, then don't ask. Snarky replies to posts like Human Torch saying "Nothing" will get YOU in trouble. Not him. He isn't spamming. He is giving his opinion. Deal with it.