The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #101
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: The Nerdist is saying the film may already be scrapped.

The key point to keep in mind is that IF, hypothetically, Fox has already decided to scrap this project, they will do everything possible to hide that fact up until the moment they can no longer deny it.

If at any point Marvel becomes convinced Fox has no intention of making the film, they will no longer have any reason to offer them any cash or additional rights. They'll just sit back and let the rights come back to them.

IF Fox intends to scrap the project, they have a strong motivation to convince the world otherwise. If they intend to make the film, they have no incentive to convince the world otherwise.

So any statements Fox makes or any plans they announce are meaningless until they do something that actually costs money.

Fox says they will start filming on April 21st and if they do that, we can be sure they're moving ahead, but nothing they say ahead of that has any meaning to anyone who cares if they make this film - and that's true whether you want them to make it or want the rights to go back to Marvel.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-24-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #102
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

As 'The Right Stuff' once told us, "No bucks, no Buck Rogers!"

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #103
fangz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
The key point to keep in mind is that IF, hypothetically, Fox has already decided to scrap this project, they will do everything possible to hide that fact up until the moment they can no longer deny it.

If at any point Marvel becomes convinced Fox has no intention of making the film, they will no longer have any reason to offer them any cash or additional rights. They'll just sit back and let the rights come back to them.

IF Fox intends to scrap the project, they have a strong motivation to convince the world otherwise. If they intend to make the film, they have no incentive to convince the world otherwise.

So any statements Fox makes or any plans they announce are meaningless until they do something that actually costs money.

Fox says they will start filming on April 21st and if they do that, we can be sure they're moving ahead, but nothing they say ahead of that has any meaning to anyone who cares if they make this film - and that's true whether you want them to make it or want the rights to go back to Marvel.
totally agree, the other day i saw an interview with Teller, and it was the first time i felt like anyone outside of Trank and MBJ (who seems close to Trank) mention much about the movie in the usual way that people end up mentioning things and we end up seeing them on comic book movie sites like this and others. and even Trank has been like a ghost about this. Which i'm not gonna say is necessarily bad, at all, I don't think we need all the access we are used to now. but it shocked me to see Teller talking about it, even for just a little bit. but in the back of my head, I started thinking... wait a second... this doesn't mean anything. and I started flipping back and forth thinking about it.

but whatever Fox does before they actually spend money, like you're talking about, it does mean something for lovers of speculation on this stuff, cuz it's something to watch as the next few weeks unfold, to see if we can detect any possible fronting on either parties parts. becuz this kind of stuff could indeed be read and read different ways depending on how one imagines the story up til now... so in that sense, it's pretty interesting and meaningful. but I know what you're talking about and totally agree.

like one of the posters fairly recently, I've always held Fox's announcement of FF reboot the day after Disney's announcement about Marvel as being relevant. Maybe that whole structure is so different now, that it's no longer telling us anything, about the situation now, but that wouldn't rob it of it's relevance to the situation then, if it actually had any.

That's why when a lot of people get annoyed about how so much attention can be paid to rumors, about castings or rumors about movies being pushed back or not or rumors of gripes behind the scenes. And then later after the rumors have been proved "false", they'll say "see? all that stuff... totally irrelevant!!"

But I think they aren't getting the point then of sometimes what "truth" rumors are pointing to in the first place. Sometimes it's not the veracity of the facts, but reading what those rumors could mean for the situation, like who might be spreading them, why are we hearing them now, stuff like that.

For a concrete example... I say the rumors around the pushback of Superman/Batman about Affleck first being hurt and then word was out that he was seriously thinking of quitting. I think those came kinda after they had relevance, but i think those are a big part of the puzzle about why the movie was really pushed back, and they were in some way signs that there was a big change in the power structure behind the movie, and all things related to it going forward most likely. so some people might see that as just gossip mongering and calm down, and don't believe everything you read. but actually those were very revealing bits of information, i think.

Also I wanted to say that you, Willie Lumpkin, I feel are one the best things about SHH. I spend most of my time arguing and ranting amongst my fellow boneheads at another comic book movie site, and actually prefer the general tone there. But the one thing that I check back to this site for, is opinions and analyses of the FF's situation, and you are a rare beacon, a respectable voice of reason amongst all the squabble. and not a diss on what anyone else says, but you always got the situation right on and phrase things really reasonably and without incitement, and I've grown to respect that a whole lot. so right on, Willie Lumpkin.

I feel like with this movie, I'm rooting for it either way, cuz I myself see a lot of plus in Trank, but especially recently when it's seemed so possible for rights to revert, I've just gone nuts and actively hope every day that Fox is fronting. And really, I just don't believe them, it seems so counter their interests to jump into this, I couldn't imagine the guy/gal who's ultimately responsible for an ok, how hindsight would view them if this movie underperformed/maybe even LOST money. that would suck to be them. but I'm just glad I like Trank and there's some good chance that he might do it if it ends up happening.

Also... just for interest... i don't know if you're supposed to hide videos here in SHOW boxes, so i don't wanna post links, but if you do a search for NVIDIA KEYNOTE TRANK, or OCTANE RENDER TRANK in youtube, there's some interesting speeches that Trank's been involved with, but apparently he's really tight with this company that offers cloud based pre-vis on their servers... for effects. So you don't have to turn in exactly what you want, have them do it, then if you want a change, resubmit a change, each time costing a lot of money... but you can do it on your own computer with their servers on heavy lifting.

so mentioning all this becuz this is how they seem to think they'll be able to pull off stuff like Thing being in the film the whole time. and it's probably been mentioned here, but it's not videos that I think most people got exposed to. interesting stuff.

Last edited by fangz; 03-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
fangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #104
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Here's an interesting story/non-story . . . not quite sure.

http://www.**************.com/fansit.../news/?a=96970

Since the link probably won't work because it's from a site that shall not be named, there was a tweet from CinemaCon:

"Saw the new logo for FANTASTIC FOUR movie. Featured word Fantastic then number 4 with flames around the 4. Was on screen less than a second."

My first thought was. Oh, that's interesting. They've got a new logo. Then the article pointed out it sounds a lot like this old logo:

Which, considering everything that's going on begs the question: Do we have a new logo . . . or are they using an old logo? And what does it mean in either case?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #105
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangz View Post
Also I wanted to say that you, Willie Lumpkin, I feel are one the best things about SHH. I spend most of my time arguing and ranting amongst my fellow boneheads at another comic book movie site, and actually prefer the general tone there. But the one thing that I check back to this site for, is opinions and analyses of the FF's situation, and you are a rare beacon, a respectable voice of reason amongst all the squabble. and not a diss on what anyone else says, but you always got the situation right on and phrase things really reasonably and without incitement, and I've grown to respect that a whole lot. so right on, Willie Lumpkin.
Aww shucks. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #106
Six
Six Six Six

Well it does say it was on screen for less than a second which probably means they didn't want people to get a nice look at it.

Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #107
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

God I wish this whole reboot would get sunk. I don't know,maybe it would turn out ok,but everything about the casting of the 4 just seems and feels wrong,weird,etc,to me.

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #108
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Please be true!!

The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #109
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miken Ayers View Post
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/rumor...ssues-denials/

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the case. The last two barely made money before hitting home media, and now this newest one fans already decided they hate it based on the casting.

Fox obviously wants to keep this film,(If you remember Marvel offered to let them keep Daredevil in exchange for FF) but they don't want to produce bombs just to hold on to the license so maybe it would be in their best interests to bring it "back to formula".
I'm sure it's been said before, it's not the Nerdist. It's Bleeding Cool and many, many other sites reported it. Not just Nerdist.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #110
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

I really hope it's true. Even though it doesn't confirm F4 going back to Marvel it's the first step on the road to that.

Fox can keep X-Men as they're actually doing a pretty good job with them and I actually prefer it that the X-Men live in their own little bubble in the Marvel Universe.

Sony's Spiderman is the same. I like that Spiderman is kept simple and doesn't cross over with Avengers. In the comics Spidey doesn't add much to the Avengers team anyhow despite being there as a marquee. All of his best stories have been in his own inclusive mythos. Still it'd be nice to see Avengers tower on the Manhattan skyline in the Sonyverse. Would it be cool to see Secret Wars? Hell yes it would be, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Fantastic Four on the other hand need to be back with Marvel. They're Marvel's first family and so many of their characters have become universe spanning and integral to the Marvel universe's peppered history.

Dr. Doom
Galactus
Silver Surfer
The Molecule Man
The Skrulls

There's so much potential for those characters to slot perfectly into what Marvel has built and established already.

Fox proved with the Story movies that they just don't know how to approach this property. They're proving it again by going with an Ultimates route.

HERESY!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #111
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Here's an interesting story/non-story . . . not quite sure.

http://www.**************.com/fansit.../news/?a=96970

Since the link probably won't work because it's from a site that shall not be named, there was a tweet from CinemaCon:

"Saw the new logo for FANTASTIC FOUR movie. Featured word Fantastic then number 4 with flames around the 4. Was on screen less than a second."

My first thought was. Oh, that's interesting. They've got a new logo. Then the article pointed out it sounds a lot like this old logo:

Which, considering everything that's going on begs the question: Do we have a new logo . . . or are they using an old logo? And what does it mean in either case?
That IS the old logo.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:20 AM   #112
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
That IS the old logo.
Just to clarify, we don't have a photo of the logo that was shown - just the description. And that description certainly seems to match that old logo.

I think it's very likely that they used the old logo. Unfortunately, that just leaves us where we were.

Either:

1. They will make this film but invest as little as possible.

2. They won't make the movie.

But they certainly aren't pushing forward with a high level of effort and enthusiasm - but anyone who has been paying attention already knew that.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:30 AM   #113
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I've been doing Google searches every day to see if I can find anything new, and about the only thing I've been able to find is that mention that they're showing the old logo as if it's new - there certainly isn't the sort of 'chatter' one would expect for a film that is scheduled to start production in less than a month.

I still do see mentions that production is supposed to start this month, but those could all be from old information. As an example of how old information can hang around, here's something telling us production will start in June . . . of 2013.

http://www.**************.com/fansit.../news/?a=77733

If anybody else wants to do their own detective work, they're using "Henry Street Productions" as the working title.

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 03-31-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #114
Jplaya2023
Side-Kick

Honestly they need to scrap this movie completely. Recast actors, make the movie pg-13, start over again, and have dr doom as the main villian.

No more cheesyness, i want something as dark as TDKR

Jplaya2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #115
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jplaya2023 View Post
No more cheesyness, i want something as dark as TDKR
I am as skeptical of the FF reboot as anyone, but what would possibly make anyone think *this* would be a good idea? The Fantastic Four are not about grim gritty street level realism tinged with political and social commentary. The Fantastic Four are about the wonders of exploring a vast cosmos, with something new and, ahem, fantastic around every corner.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #116
Jplaya2023
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I am as skeptical of the FF reboot as anyone, but what would possibly make anyone think *this* would be a good idea? The Fantastic Four are not about grim gritty street level realism tinged with political and social commentary. The Fantastic Four are about the wonders of exploring a vast cosmos, with something new and, ahem, fantastic around every corner.
the first 2 followed that formula and they flopped. need something new.

Jplaya2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #117
universeman
Side-Kick

Yes we need something Fantastic

Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #118
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jplaya2023 View Post
the first 2 followed that formula and they flopped. need something new.
The first two flopped because they were bad films period. Tim Story made the FF into an unfunny sitcom with terrible writing, corny dialogue, blatant mis-characterization, and insipid action pieces. The Fantastic Four are possibly the lamest superheroes ever. The Fantastic Four vs. a traffic jam! (that they cause!), the Fantastic Four vs. a ferris wheel! End of the world? No problem - we'll just sit this one out. Save us Surfer!

Dr. Doom should be dark yes but not everything needs to be dark. Not everything needs to be like The Dark Knight. The Man of Steel tried to be and failed. The Incredibles and many of the Marvel Studios films have demonstrated successfully how to maintain the fun factor with charm and humor. The Fantastic Four fit the tone of the MCU more than any other outstanding Marvel licensed property.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #119
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post
Yes we need something Fantastic
Exactly. Amaze me. Don't depress me.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #120
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I think we need to use the word 'serious' rather than 'dark'. Batman was portrayed as a character driven by internal demons and he fought anarchistic villains who had vague motivations related to dystopian goals.

Fantastic Four should have threats that seem real and intense (unlike the first two films) but the film shouldn't be 'dark' in the same way Batman was.

There is plenty of good middle ground between the goofy FF films and Batman.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #121
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've been doing Google searches every day to see if I can find anything new, and about the only thing I've been able to find is that mention that they're showing the old logo as if it's new - there certainly isn't the sort of 'chatter' one would expect for a film that is scheduled to start production in less than a month.

I still do see mentions that production is supposed to start this month, but those could all be from old information. As an example of how old information can hang around, here's something telling us production will start in June . . . of 2013.

http://www.**************.com/fansit.../news/?a=77733

If anybody else wants to do their own detective work, they're using "Henry Street Productions" as the working title.
I wonder if John Campea or any of the other people for AMC movie news would know?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #122
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancimouspitt View Post
I wonder if John Campea or any of the other people for AMC movie news would know?
I suspect people who are really plugged in probably have hunches of how things are going, but they probably won't report anything based on a hunch.

At this point, it seems that production is scheduled to start April 21st, but I'm skeptical of that date. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 21st come and go with no additional news.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #123
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Quote:
I suspect people who are really plugged in probably have hunches of how things are going, but they probably won't report anything based on a hunch.

At this point, it seems that production is scheduled to start April 21st, but I'm skeptical of that date. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 21st come and go with no additional news.
Yeah I'm willing to be they have at least gotten a few dozen questions about it by now. Would like to see them address the rumor.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #124
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

lol the fact that they used the Story logo shows they have almost nothing invested in this.

How much trouble would it take to hire a designer to make a new logo for the presentation? This is supposed to be a tentpole and they just show an old logo?

I'm pretty sure they have no intention of putting this into production. They're just going to try to keep the property valuable as they know Disney wants it.

Has anyone heard from Trank over the last month? We hear more from Snyder about MoS2 which isn't even coming out for another 2 years.

HERESY!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #125
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
lol the fact that they used the Story logo shows they have almost nothing invested in this.

How much trouble would it take to hire a designer to make a new logo for the presentation? This is supposed to be a tentpole and they just show an old logo?

I'm pretty sure they have no intention of putting this into production. They're just going to try to keep the property valuable as they know Disney wants it.

Has anyone heard from Trank over the last month? We hear more from Snyder about MoS2 which isn't even coming out for another 2 years.

I hope you're right. With Spider Man and X Men I think we can forget about Disney getting the rights back,or at least not getting them for a very,very,long time. However with FF,it seems plausible,maybe not 100% likely but at least the possibility seems their.
What I would hate those is if they go ahead with this film and it bombs completely,and then Marvel gets the rights back.