The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 03-19-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
sportjames23
Side-Kick

Default Is Marvel going to make any more animated movies?

I enjoyed the hell out of Planet Hulk and Hulk Vs. Would love for Marvel to do animated versions of Annihilation and Civil War. Anyone now if Marvel has any animated films in its future?

sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:32 AM   #2
Silvermoth
Avenger

Default Re: Is Marvel going to make any more animated movies?

There's one about black widow and the punisher coming out soon.

I'm sure they will, it's a good way of getting some of the crazier ideas out there

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Plus they want to kick DC's butt. They're doing that with their movies, and probably want to do so with animation.

Marvel is likely happy that Young Justice got canceled, and replaced with a show with a similar quality to the ones they're currently showing.

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I hope they stop paying animated movies. haha at least until they can make good ones.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Marvel animation really needs to step it up

Hulk VS. was, for my money, the ONLY Marvel animated feature that holds a candle to any of the DC stuff.
Planet Hulk was sloppy looking, but enjoyable, Next Avengers was OK but almost totally unrelated to the comics, and the rest were total crap

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
venom892
Got Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Marvel animation really needs to step it up

Hulk VS. was, for my money, the ONLY Marvel animated feature that holds a candle to any of the DC stuff.
Planet Hulk was sloppy looking, but enjoyable, Next Avengers was OK but almost totally unrelated to the comics, and the rest were total crap
I have to agree. DC has offered at the very least decent animated films.(With Under the Red Hood being my favorite.) Hulk Vs. was the only thing I was compelled to buy on Blu Ray. I haven't seen any of the Anime offerings yet, so maybe those are good.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Six
Six Six Six

DC is beating Marvel in the animated movie department and the video game department.

Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
babykhris
Side-Kick

Give Marvel Animation a few years to get it's feet wet. DC Animation has had access to WB Animation for year. It wasn't until late last year that Marvel Animation Studios opened in Glendale.

During the Lionsgate days they had Yost & Kyle, who have moved on. In the past they were limited to only being able to use The Avengers and Dr. Strange.
Since then they gotten control of 85% of their characters.

I think Marvel could put out Spider-Man and X-Men animated films they would putting out one a year, but I think the other studios are stopping that.

babykhris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Marvel's videogame and animation divisions(as well as their live action TV division, IMO) all need someone like Fiege in the film division to lead them. Now as someone who never plays videogames, I don't care in anyway who's winning that fight. Means zip to me. I hate videogames. But the others I do care about and sure hope that they get the people they need to make'em great like the film division is.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

While animated features can be a lot of fun, I'm just happy that the cinematic universe is hitting on all cylinders. It would be neat though to see some major stories arcs that they might not be able to do in live action through animated instead. Much like DC doing TDKR and many other of Batman's stories.

Team Andino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #11
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic

Honestly, I feel that Marvel's animated films just can't compete. Marvel is to animated films, what DC is to live action films. DC has this territory mastered. Meanwhile, Marvel is rather hit and miss. For every Planet Hulk and Thor, there is a Doctor Strange, Iron Man and Ultimate Avengers -_-

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/46178721/large.gif
Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #12
kedrell

I thought Thor's animated feature rather sucked while Dr. Strange was one of the best they made. And Ultimate Avengers was ok. Iron Man was terrible, however.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
babykhris
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
Honestly, I feel that Marvel's animated films just can't compete. Marvel is to animated films, what DC is to live action films. DC has this territory mastered. Meanwhile, Marvel is rather hit and miss. For every Planet Hulk and Thor, there is a Doctor Strange, Iron Man and Ultimate Avengers -_-
DC has had YEARS on Marvel. What many people fail to mention is during the Lionsgate deal Marvel only had the rights to 13 characters, who you could do an animated film with (Dr Strange, The Avengers (Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Hawkeye, Ant Man), Power Pack, Cloak & Dagger, Shang Chi, Black Panther and Nick Fury ) Slim picking aint it..

As I said before now Marvel has it's own animation studio and now they can do so many things in animation that they could do with LGF. I still wish Marvel could or would do Spider-Man animated features because they would sell very well.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Lionsgate did Hulk VS as well

in which case they had to have the rights to Wolverine, Deadpool, Sabertooth, Deathstrike, and Omega Red, at the least
Seems more likely they had the rights to all of the X-Men at that point

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
babykhris
Side-Kick

I heard because it wasn't a FULL film they had wiggle room. Remember in Planet Hulk they could use Reed Richards or Silver Surfer. That's why they used Beta Ray Bill.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykhris View Post
DC has had YEARS on Marvel. What many people fail to mention is during the Lionsgate deal Marvel only had the rights to 13 characters, who you could do an animated film with (Dr Strange, The Avengers (Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Hawkeye, Ant Man), Power Pack, Cloak & Dagger, Shang Chi, Black Panther and Nick Fury ) Slim picking aint it..

As I said before now Marvel has it's own animation studio and now they can do so many things in animation that they could do with LGF. I still wish Marvel could or would do Spider-Man animated features because they would sell very well.
First of all, Ultimate Avengers came out in 2006. Meanwhile, Superman: Doomsday, the first DCAU film, was released in 2007. So I am not sure about these "years" to which you refer or from what measure you have made your benchmark. Secondly, Marvel has been producing cartoons for very long time. Marvel Productions was formed in 1981 and headed up by Stan Lee (there is a documentary on Youtube if you care to look it up). Comparatively, Super Friends, was made by Hanna Barbera back in 1973, but at that time Hanna Barbera was not owned by Warner Bros (parent company of DC Entertainment). By the time the WB began making any serious effort in producing animated shows based on their properties (1992's Batman TAS), Marvel had already churned out Spider-Man, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Pryde of the X-Men and The Incredible Hulk (1982 series).

Now if you are referring to WB Animation Studios in general, then yes, they have been producing cartoons since the old Looney Tunes runs from back in the 60s. However if we are strictly speaking super hero cartoons (note: I am strictly speaking super hero cartoons), then Marvel has had the leg up on Warner Bros. by a few years (eleven to be exact). However, if we are discussing cartoons produced by Marvel Productions in general, then Marvel also racked up quite a bit of content production with licensed properties e.g. Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Transformers, G.I. Joe etc.

Even still, Marvel had a slate of popular cartoons that Marvel Productions co-produced at the same time that Warner Bros. was seeing success with Batman TAS. During the 90s, Marvel Productions co-produced X-Men TAS as well as Spider-Man TAS, Fantastic Four, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk (1996 series).

With all of that said, my intention was to focus on quality, but since you brought up history I felt it necessary to address the misconception. As it stands, even though Marvel has been at it for a bit longer, DC quickly mastered the craft of producing animated spin-offs of their superhero properties. Back when Marvel had no competition, a perfunctory effort was acceptable. And X-Men and Spider-Man in the 90s seem to be flukes, because just about everything else churned out by Marvel in animated form has been either unimpressive or awful. Meanwhile, almost everything DC churns out is entertaining or excellent.

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/46178721/large.gif
Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #17
mace1
Side-Kick

Don't the forget the silver surfur animated series.
It's a great series even if it did not last that long.

mace1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #19
kedrell

I don't find DC animated films all that great. Some are very good but most are watch once and forget they ever existed type of affairs. Not that I think Marvel's are any better.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:56 AM   #20
Silvermoth
Avenger

I tend to be the same to be honest. Some of the animated series are pretty good. The movies tend to not quite hit the spot for some reason

Old 03-22-2014, 03:31 AM   #21
yojedi

is Captain Planet part of the Marvel franchise?- one of the soundbites from this entertaining video about a guy educating these girls on everything fanboy..the fanboy dance may or may have not come up in this video lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJJp...Py-F085rnFddvC

yojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #22
Silvermoth
Avenger

I'm on a bit of an iron fist kick at the moment but wouldn't he make a great character to adapt in an animated series?

You can have an anime type influence similar to Oren Ishii's origin in kill bill volume 1 and be influenced by the Brubaker/fraction/aja run. Very modern and brubakers stuff is going to be super popular when everyone sees captain America 2

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #23
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23 View Post
I enjoyed the hell out of Planet Hulk and Hulk Vs. Would love for Marvel to do animated versions of Annihilation and Civil War. Anyone now if Marvel has any animated films in its future?
Their cartoons suck.........DC kicks butt in animated.....weird how that is...

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #24
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post
DC is beating Marvel in the animated movie department and the video game department.
It's interesting that DC is so on point with animation, but hopelessly behind in Live action.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #25
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

if Marvel can poach someone like James Tucker or Bruce Timm, that would help. Also, there needs to be more codevelopment with Disney and/or Pixar. It's not good enough that Pixar is just an island unto itself. Marvel has to get involved.

Sony-Madhouse helps push the animation limits for select projects. They should get into more characters that aren't being developed too much- Daughters of the Dragon, Heroes for Hire, Hercules, Punisher, Blade, etc.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote