The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Age of Extinction

View Poll Results: What do you rate transformers 4?
AMAZING! 7 6.86%
Great 9 8.82%
Good 19 18.63%
Ok 14 13.73%
Meh 7 6.86%
Average 6 5.88%
Not good 7 6.86%
Very bad 4 3.92%
Horrible 18 17.65%
Transformers 2 (Suicide would have been better) 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Em Dee
Chasing Spiders

Default Transformers 4 USER REVIEW THREAD

Add your reviews of the film below and rate the film

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 8.2/10
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 7.7/10
ROBOCOP 6.3/10
RIDE ALONG 6/10
Em Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

Default Re: Transformers 4 USER REVIEW THREAD

Just caught the movie. Haters are gonna hate this movie no matter what.

But for me....I really liked it. I think it is the best one out of the 4 movies. And Marky Mark is way way more tolerable than shia lebuff.

BTW......the budget of this movie is $165M (according to boxofficemojo) and it looks way way more impressive than TASM2.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Transformers: Age of Extinction
Director: Michael Bay
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Stanley Tucci, Kelsey Grammer, Nicola Peltz

Review.

Transformers 4 is the 4th film in the Transformers franchise, and also the most intelligent. Gone are the corny jokes about little robots having the hots for Megan Fox and Witwicky's mom wearing dumb pants. The movie follows up on the consequences of the third movie, in which the city of Chicago was devastated by a fight involving Sentinel, Optimus, Megatron, and their associates. Following this, on offscreen-ville, some of the humans turned on all the transformers, attacked several of them, and the surviving autobots went into hiding (though the general public doesn't know that the beloved autobots were betrayed). A company is mining Transformers technology to make new Transformers.

All of this is positive: some logic. Of course human leadership would turn on Transformers after Transformers 3, of course they'd seek to reverse engineer the technology, of course there'd be some manoeuvring within the American government for leadership. Gone is the dumb patriotic jingoism of Transformers 3, where the movie's plot starts with the autobots destroying a middle east (i.e. Iranian) research base on behalf of "neutrality". Instead we see the USA seeking to take control of leftover alien technology, competition with Russia for that technology, et cetera. We're also dealing, interestingly, with a cynical Optimus Prime, which is interesting. He's not the eternal optimist beacon of hope we're used to, which is cool to see.

All of that is a positive, moreover, surprisingly, each of Optimus Prime and 4 of the 5 principle human character arc has a meaningful character arc, which I wasn't expecting? The characters are normally constants in these movies, a lot of them were here, but not here, it's not something I'd expect of a Transformers movie.

The main human interaction is a repetition of Michael Bay's favourite, father-daughter-boyfriend love triangle, as per Armageddon where Bruce Willis didn't trust Ben Affleck for the first 80% of the movie.

Minus: Opimus Prime is heavily damaged at the start of the movie, I'm not exactly sure how he fixed himself or if he completely fixed himself.

Aside from that, the movie toned down the Bayhem which may have been a studio reaction to Man of Steel, we see a lot of occasions where a huge number of humans almost die, and then don't because of last-second adjustments. There is destruction in this movie, but not as much before. Another change, the lead actress Nicola Peltz, though demonstrably gorgeous, does not titillate the screen with T&A shots like Rosie Huntingdon-Whitely and Megan Fox did, the male gaze is toned down a couple notches, we see that she has great legs, a thin midsection and a beautiful face, with the viewing angles not being as blatant. Also gone is the old look of miscellaneous transformers, wherein they all looked alike and it was difficult to tell who was who. These battles were easier to follow.

Another plus is Lockdown. He gives a few great speeches, he has a great theme music that is currently frustrating me because I can't find it on youtube, and his fight scenes are cool. A lot of nerds will complain that the movie doesn't give all the answers, but that's the point of Lockdown here, he is mysterious. He is a bounty hunter working on behalf of some external force. He's apparently been bounty hunting for a very long time. I'm not sure how Optimus either recognised him or recognised the interior of his ship. That's left for sequels to explain I guess.

There's also some confusion with Grimlock. We see a frozen dinosaur at the start of the movie, I thought that would be Grimlock once he unthawed, but it turned out that Grimlock was something else, and thus that frozen dinosaur is still in the arctic.

With that said, I had a huge grin on my face when I saw the dinobauts first start stampeding into Hong Kong and kick ass, that was awesome to see.

The minus for me is mostly in the last 45 minutes of the plot where a lot of nonsense happens.
- We're told that the new transformers are upgrades, but 5 autobots dispatch 50 of the new transformers with relative ease. 2 of the human characters
- Kelsey Grammer and his associate, go crazy and become boring, though it leads to an entertaining payoff in how Grammer's character dies. However, that payoff was so surprising that the emotion of shock overtook the emotion of joy at least for me, I'll be curious to know how others react.
- The conclusion of the human character arcs is reached at very saccharine destination points and quite cringeworthy, it's not as bad as Darcy in Thor 2, but it's getting there;
- The way the Transformers can easily damage Lockdown's ship is distracting because I'd expect that ship to be more advanced;
- The end fight was so long it was starting to get boring;
- Galvatron isn't as cool as he was in the 1986 movie;
- The worst one: WTF is Galvatron doing during the final fight?

All in all, it was ... surprising to see Michael Bay make a movie so different from the previous three. It still has problems, the plot is kind of bloated with multiple prologues leading to multiple plot points some of which don't converge well, but it's better than Transformers 2 and 3 since it's removed some of the general problems there. However, I'm not sure if it's as fun as Transformers 1.

Grade: B

Ongoing ranking of 2014 movies
Tier 1, A grade: Noah, Grand Budapest Hotel, The Lego Movie, Edge of Tomorrow, The Fault in our Stars
Tier 2, B grade: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Robocop, Divergent, Transformers: Age of Extinction, X-Men: Days of Future Past, 300: Rise of an Empire,
Tier 3, C grade: Godzilla, Amazing Spider Man 2

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Sith
Side-Kick

Who the hell voted this movie "AMAZING" ???

Sith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Global Moderator

Probably someone like me who is going to see it strictly for the awesome spectacle and action and nothing more. I don't go for the story. There are plenty of other movies to see that have a great story. The Transformers movies are just pure fun. I know the cool and popular thing to do is to hate these movies, but whatever. If people would relax a little and watch them for what they are, then there wouldn't be as much hate.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Probably someone like me who is going to see it strictly for the awesome spectacle and action and nothing more. I don't go for the story. There are plenty of other movies to see that have a great story. The Transformers movies are just pure fun. I know the cool and popular thing to do is to hate these movies, but whatever. If people would relax a little and watch them for what they are, then there wouldn't be as much hate.
There certainly is ALOT of contempt for the thing(s). Just read the aint it cool 'review' and half way through and for the rest of it, he starts calling the film by it's 'proper' title...only to be fully lauded in the talk back.

Not seeing the film I would imagine it's some sort of thing...crazy really.

Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
drod1985
Ragnarock n' Roll

Random thoughts: Way too long. Needed more "heroic" sequences from the Autobots. Very few on-screen transformations (did we ever see Hound or Crosshairs transform?). Blonde arctic explorer chick was entirely unnecessary. How the hell did Optimus repair himself? So much product placement. Still a fun movie though.

From best to worst I'd rank them: TF1, DOTM, AOE, ROTF

drod1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:33 AM   #8
roach
I am the night

I thought the movie was ok...i would have liked to see more of the Dinobots

Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #9
LostSon88
Side-Kick

2nd best movie of the series after the original.

The story itself was a natural progression in reaction to the events of DoTM with a much darker and cynical perspective. Seeing Prime pissed off (and rightfully so) at the humans was a big thing in character development. To see him become so jaded and angry at our race was not what I expected.

Found Mark Wahlberg to be pretty good...and miles above Shia in terms of tolerance, haha.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oh and I LOVED how they
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
killed off that idiot in the first 20 minutes

When that character showed up I litetally rolled my eyes at "another" pointless comic relief character to endure in this film series.

Last edited by LostSon88; 06-27-2014 at 03:01 AM.
LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:52 AM   #10
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, this flick was awesome. Kicked the **** out of the previous 2. And for how long it was I was never really bored. They picked up the pace whenever it slowed down.

I'd say this had the best villain, best performance of Prime and best use of the autobots as characters. They balanced out the screen time much better here.

...and I'm so glad
they actually had Prime give a **** when Ratchet went down. I was just as pissed as he was and he brought what was coming to those guys. Same with Leadfoot. Hated how no one gave a **** about Ironhide's death in DOTM.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #11
Sith
Side-Kick

Quote:
I like blockbuster CGI-fests as much as the next person, but seriously, this movie isn't fun or exciting. Lazy and convoluted story-telling peppered with massive explosions.

165mins of it da**** !

Last edited by Mister J; 06-29-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:10 AM   #12
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith View Post
I like blockbuster CGI-fests as much as the next person, but seriously, this movie isn't fun or exciting. Lazy and convoluted story-telling peppered with massive explosions.

165mins of it da**** !
relax dude...it's just his opinion...no need to attack him over it

roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:31 AM   #13
iambranded
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm not going to vote it AMAZING because its a TF movie....
Overall...the movie was cool......some good moments.... I thought Hound was solid...but it was too long...and parts unnecessary... Was the DinoBots necessary??? ...dont really think so..... not once did we hear them talk...was looking for a "Me Grimlock smash...." or something.... Bumble Bee still cant talk..... Not enough AutoBout character development.
I however think Mark Walberg did very well..... Hound was fine also....but with all these TF movies.....something was missing still....
And who was lockdown working for.....
The Quintessons??? ........Unicron????? - I guess we will find out....

iambranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:37 AM   #14
def28
Side-Kick

Definitely could have used some Grimlock lines. I really don't get why they didn't have them say anything.

I did however like how they were setting up for the future with who the creators are and
Gavatron
They really havn't done setting up before in the previous films.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 AM   #15
Sith
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
relax dude...it's just his opinion...no need to attack him over it
Cool story.

How did I "attack" him again..??

Old 06-27-2014, 03:44 AM   #16
LostSon88
Side-Kick

So i'm not too familiar with TF lore…

Who are the creators?

Old 06-27-2014, 03:46 AM   #17
def28
Side-Kick

Quintessons

Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 AM   #18
Sith
Side-Kick

The Creators = The Engineers

The Seed = The Black Oil

I guess we find out in Prometheus II when Optimus lands on LV26

Old 06-27-2014, 04:46 AM   #19
dark_b
Side-Kick

was i the only one who thought it was awesome that OP in the final battle didnt use his guns but only the sword? i thought it was amazing that in the third act OP goes on the ship takes the sword and goes into battle.

it makes no f... sense to not use guns. but hey its in Hong Kong and OP is now a samurai warrior. he needs a sword and a shield. ohhh by the way where did the shield come from?

thank you Bay

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #20
def28
Side-Kick

Haha Yeah that was awesome....

He used his gun during the end... but on a human haha . Which I thought was equally as great and well deserved.

Make them pay Prime!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #21
BigCityBoy
Side-Kick

Anybody who seen this at a Digital IMAX theater (smaller IMAX screen), did the screen's aspect ratio change and expand for the scenes shot with the IMAX cameras?

BigCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
Rowsdower!
Handsy

I liked it. It might have been a bit too long and the action was excessive, but I still found it thoroughly enjoyable. The last two movies were each a convoluted mess, but this one was a lot of fun. I liked seeing Optimus bitter and angry. I liked seeing Walter Sobchak the Transformer. I liked Wahlberg as the central human. Hell, I even liked Kelsey Grammer (which I usually don't). Galvatron was pretty weak and I wish we could have gotten a bit more info on "the creators" but all in all, I really enjoyed it. I liked it a lot more than Pacific Rim, that's for sure... a movie that I believe was not only much worse both from a story and special effects standpoint, but only received praise from critics and fanboys because of some bizarre devotion to Del Toro, a man who hasn't made a good movie since Pan's Labyrinth. If they applied the same scrutiny to his films that they apply to Bay's, Pacific Rim would have an RT score in the teens.

Anyway, this was good summer action fare. Much better than the last two. Hell, the movie should have praised heaped upon it simply because of the lack of Shia Labouef.

8/10

Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #23
dark_b
Side-Kick

thank you Bay

-thank you Bay for having again Megatron as the main villain. its all about him. 4 movies about Megatron.
-thank you Bay for having 5 different stories in one 165min movie.
-thank you Bay for having people have the same confused and shocked faces when they see robots. we get no shots how people reacted after the chicago battle. were they afraid or happy? its made very clear in the movie that the White House doesnt know that Frasier is hunting down and killing all robots. even autobots.
-thank you Bay for having a story where humans found the ultimate power. a matter that humans can telepathically change in to everything they think of. from a radio to a gun. they are more powerfull than 5 billion robots together. they literally can create everything.
-thank you Bay for reapeting the same action scenes 3 times. the movie is not only long, scenes are extended for no reason. this movie could have been cut 20 minutes and nothing would be missing.
-thank you Bay for having Prime in the beginning be so destroyed that Marky Mark had to fix him to be able to walk. he was still in very bad condition but after 10 minutes he is fine and is able to take a new look and repair himself. no explanation.
-thank you Bay for having a scene where Lockdown shots and damages Prime so much that he is not able to move and stand up. Lockdown takes him to his ship and hangs him up with chains. when Prime's friends save him he out of nowhere is 100% back at his full power with no explanation.
-thank you Bay for giving the new OP the ability to fly without wings. he has rocket engines under his boots. he only fly's at the end. during the movie when Lockdown and Galvatron attack him he doesnt fly away. he is on a spaceship in the air and he doesnt jump down and fly. he also needs a trex robot to go into battle. he doesnt fly. it makes no sense.
-thank you Bay for having yet another movie change the transformers history. Megatron is not the first robot on this planet. Fallen's were not the first to come here. robots on the moon were not the first to come here. no. they came here 65 million years ago and destroyed the dinosaurs. on Lockdown's ship we see different aliens which means that there are different worlds with life. but no they all land on our planet. cybertronians are obssesed with our tiny planet.

Lockdown is the best villain in this franchise. best design,best voice,best characterization.
TF4 has more robot dialoge than all first 3 movies together. autobots are entertaining when they have conversations

this is a 100% Bay movie. nothing makes sense . and i liked it

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #24
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Man…only 20 user reviews on this thing. This is one of the (for better or worse) bigger movies of the summer and you'd think the reviews would blow up around here as they usually do for most franchise films.

The Bay hate on these boards is pretty strong...

Old 06-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #25
Broseph44
Witness Me

Quote:
Who the hell voted this movie "AMAZING" ???
Quote:

165mins of it da**** !
Quote:
Cool story.

How did I "attack" him again..??
Quote:
The Creators = The Engineers

The Seed = The Black Oil

I guess we find out in Prometheus II when Optimus lands on LV26
40 posts in you're already off to a great start with your attitude. This should be fun.

Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote