The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:17 AM   #26
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - - - Part 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurne View Post
I'm worried.

The reviews for Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World almost never uttered "it's not a perfect movie" (look how those turned out) - reviews aren't shy about saying that for this film...
lol wtf

Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #27
antonydelfini
Friendly Neighborhood

I have a feeling this movie's gonna be my favorite Marvel studios movie yet. I'll find out in 5 days.

1. Avengers 9/10
2. Iron Man 3 8.5/10
3. Iron Man 8.5/10
4. First Avenger 7.5/10
5.Thor 7.5/10
6.Thor the Dark World 7/10
7.Incredible Hulk 7/10
8.Iron Man 2 6/10

Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #28
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Ok without really spoiling it for me, how were things on the villains side of things in the movie? You said that all the good guys were solid performances but how did the villains in the movie do compared to the "Mandarin" and Malekith? Just say whether they were better or not without mentioning names and details thanks.
Since this is basically a conspiracy movie, the villains aren't as... let's say centralized as the other phase 2 films. Like I said, I had some problems with how the Winter Soldier was handled, but I would certainly put him above Malekith, and he has some great emotional beats handled perfectly by Sebastian Stan. But what's great about this movie is that the true villainy of the story goes beyond a singular person, and is ultimately about Steve weaving through these moral canyons to come out on the other side.

In terms of just ranking them, I would put "The Mandarin" > The Winter Soldier >>> Malekith. I have a huge soft spot for the actor who played "The Mandarin" (is all this a spoiler still?) and love what they did with his character and how he evolved at the end.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #29
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Spidey View Post
this happens to me every time I go to a theatre. some jerk takes my ticket an rips it apart on the perforated line before my eyes...without any shame.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #30
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiting Arkham View Post
Since this is basically a conspiracy movie, the villains aren't as... let's say centralized as the other phase 2 films. Like I said, I had some problems with how the Winter Soldier was handled, but I would certainly put him above Malekith, and he has some great emotional beats handled perfectly by Sebastian Stan. But what's great about this movie is that the true villainy of the story goes beyond a singular person, and is ultimately about Steve weaving through these moral canyons to come out on the other side.

In terms of just ranking them, I would put "The Mandarin" > The Winter Soldier >>> Malekith. I have a huge soft spot for the actor who played "The Mandarin" (is all this a spoiler still?) and love what they did with his character and how he evolved at the end.
Ah ok. I figured from the trailer and Ed Brubaker's run(which this and possibly future movies are likely going to take cues from) that the true villains are not really just one person.

Another question I like to ask all of you who've seen it, and are comic-savvy is how much does it honor Brubaker's run? I know he gave the film two thumbs up and was happy with the whole thing. Is this the same with everyone else?

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #31
Leafy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Spidey View Post
Very similar thing happened to me in Raleigh. After they had let in everyone who had Marvel Unlimited logos on their tickets, they told us that probably only about 10% of the people with 'ordinary' tickets would get in. Those of us in the 90% just had to take the free tickets for opening weekend or go home. As I live about 2 hours from Raleigh and could't make the trip again, I just had to go home.
Overbooking by 10% or so to guarantee no empty seats I can see. I've got no problem with that. But overbooking so much that you turn away 150-200+ people-people who had no idea that there were 'special' tickets that got you first seating priority? I've got some issues with that.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #32
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
For those who have seen the movie, this is a false rumor correct?

I would say yes, it's a false rumor. I mean maybe--MAYBE--I missed that name in a string of other names that quickly flew by at one point, but in no way was that person actually a character in the movie.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #33
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Very similar thing happened to me in Raleigh. After they had let in everyone who had Marvel Unlimited logos on their tickets, they told us that probably only about 10% of the people with 'ordinary' tickets would get in. Those of us in the 90% just had to take the free tickets for opening weekend or go home. As I live about 2 hours from Raleigh and could't make the trip again, I just had to go home.
Overbooking by 10% or so to guarantee no empty seats I can see. I've got no problem with that. But overbooking so much that you turn away 150-200+ people-people who had no idea that there were 'special' tickets that got you first seating priority? I've got some issues with that.
That is horrible, honestly. Is this the first time you tried to get into an advanced screening? I wonder if these were the same problems with The Avengers.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #34
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
You were at the Raleigh premiere? So was I! I was at the beginning of line C and I showed up 2.5 hours early.

That sucks though, dude. I'm sorry. The lines were crazy long and I couldn't believe they weren't turning people away earlier.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #35
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Very Sorry for those who couldn't get in.
Very happy that nobody here who saw the film disliked it.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #36
Leafy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
That is horrible, honestly. Is this the first time you tried to get into an advanced screening? I wonder if these were the same problems with The Avengers.
Yes, this was the first time I've tried. I'm fairly new to Marvel as a whole, so I wasn't part of the Avengers madness.

I've bought tickets for a Thursday night showing at a theater 15 minutes away now, so hopefully I can just put this behind me and look forward to that. And try to avoid clicking spoiler tags.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #37
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

I showed up 2 hours early, and was still in the back half of the line. These screening lines get more and more insane as the years roll on.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #38
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

When I went to the Cap 1 screening, I got there just over 1.5 hours ahead of time and the line was pretty long but not through the doors and out into the streets.

For the Cap 2 screening, I was over 2 hours early and got stuck in Line C. Still made it in, but the theater was 3/4 full by the time I got seated.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #39
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:

If you don't mind asking, and certainly don't mind answering, how did you expect the Winter Soldier to be handled, and why didn't the movie meet those expectations?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #40
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
If you don't mind asking, and certainly don't mind answering, how did you expect the Winter Soldier to be handled, and why didn't the movie meet those expectations?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Basically the film is about Steve Rogers uncovering a certain conspiracy, and while the Winter Soldier is apart of that conspiracy, he is somewhat inconsequential to how it is played out. He is used certainly as a highly valued asset for the scheming, but his role is more henchman than villain.

Don't get me wrong, it is handled extremely well, but Steve's journey through the film is very much tied to who he is with SHIELD and what the costs are for freedom. His emotional connection to Bucky is emotional and draws interesting parallels to who they were during the 40's, but I don't think enough attention was given to who Bucky has become and how it specifically effects Cap as their journeys culminate in the climax of the movie.

I'm not saying that it's handled poorly or even averagely. It's in fact very good, but the emotional catharsis at the end could have been that much better had they found a way to incorporate the Winter Soldier more into the conspiracy angle, but it may have taken away from the SHIELD business which I loved. Some may definitely be affected differently by it than I was, it's probably just a matter of taste.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #41
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

I loved Stan as TWS. To me, he was pulled right off the pages. The scene with him and Rogers at the end is even better than the standoff they had in the comics. Stan played a great villain, IMO.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #42
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Basically the film is about Steve Rogers uncovering a certain conspiracy, and while the Winter Soldier is apart of that conspiracy, he is somewhat inconsequential to how it is played out. He is used certainly as a highly valued asset for the scheming, but his role is more henchman than villain.

Don't get me wrong, it is handled extremely well, but Steve's journey through the film is very much tied to who he is with SHIELD and what the costs are for freedom. His emotional connection to Bucky is emotional and draws interesting parallels to who they were during the 40's, but I don't think enough attention was given to who Bucky has become and how it specifically effects Cap as their journeys culminate in the climax of the movie.

I'm not saying that it's handled poorly or even averagely. It's in fact very good, but the emotional catharsis at the end could have been that much better had they found a way to incorporate the Winter Soldier more into the conspiracy angle, but it may have taken away from the SHIELD business which I loved. Some may definitely be affected differently by it than I was, it's probably just a matter of taste.
But that's all WS was in the comics...a henchman...a tool...thawed out whenever they needed him to commit some sin

Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #43
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Steve and Natasha at last night's UK Premiere.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #44
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

wtf is that dude doing there with a Spider-man costume?

And why hasn't ScarJo and Chris dated yet?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #45
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
wtf is that dude doing there with a Spider-man costume?

And why hasn't ScarJo and Chris dated yet?
Same reason someone was there dressed as beast...Marvel comics fans

Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #46
Minxie
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's terrible, I'm sorry .

Luckily at the DC screening the theater was very organized and from what I could tell they did their absolute best to get everyone in line a seat. The ushers were constantly scanning the theater looking for empty seats and getting people to move over and opening up more seats together for other groups. They actually showed the movie in two different theaters, not just one room, and idk if they might have done that so they could fit more people or if that was the plan all along.
I was there 4 hours early so I managed to get right near the front of the line. That was a long, uncomfortable wait but it was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I loved Stan as TWS. To me, he was pulled right off the pages. The scene with him and Rogers at the end is even better than the standoff they had in the comics. Stan played a great villain, IMO.
I thought the same thing! I mentioned somewhere else that I was tentatively hoping that their final scene would be as great as the comic one and it actually surpassed it.

And although I might have liked the movie to have addressed the WS' back story a bit more, I'm still satisfied with what we got. They got the point across and I'm sure that anyone watching this who doesn't know the whole story will understand Bucky's psyche, at least (thanks to one scene in particular that broke my heart to pieces). I mean if this had been Bucky's last movie it'd be disappointing... but it's not his last appearance at all, and considering that final scene where Natasha gave Steve the file on Bucky it's very likely they delve more into that back story in Cap 3.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #47
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
I have a feeling this movie's gonna be my favorite Marvel studios movie yet. I'll find out in 5 days.

1. Avengers 9/10
2. Iron Man 3 8.5/10
3. Iron Man 8.5/10
4. First Avenger 7.5/10
5.Thor 7.5/10
6.Thor the Dark World 7/10
7.Incredible Hulk 7/10
8.Iron Man 2 6/10
I think I've written this somewhere before, but you and I have like the exact same rankings. Though I don't really like numeric/star ratings (even though I vote on the polls ), those seem like what I'd say if I had to, looking back on them now.

And damn, that really sucks about the people who didn't get in - kinda glad I didn't try getting tickets on the 14th for NYC now, haha

Old 03-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #48
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

One major thing about TWS that I failed to mention last night.

Maria Hill is applying for a job at Stark Industries at the end of the movie.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #49
eddy
Side-Kick

Chris Evans is so suave.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #50
DN91
Star-Spangled Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I kind of figured that Hill would remain good. Her turning bad would not have made any sense to me, especially due to her relationship with Coulson in the Agents of SHIELD pilot.
Maybe she'll be one of the people aiding Phil's team if they go underground if/when AoSHIELD gets a 2nd season.