The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #26
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!! - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Huh, that's interesting. That would imply that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Doctor Strange
already has powers by this point. I didn't expect that. I guess that any potential
Doctor Strange movie
would be set BEFORE TWS, unless they're just going to skip the origin story (which I don't think is likely for a more obscure character like this).
This isn't the case at all - be warned this spoils a fair chunk of villain motive
Zola formulated an algorithm that when put into the system of 3 helicarriers identifies and analyzes potential threats by analyzing everything about their past, so whilst it is plausible that Strange already is the Doctor it is more likely everything about him was analysed and he was classed as a threat simply as Stephen Strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
One minor question I have is:
What happens with Rumlow at the end? Killed? Escapes with some help? Jail?
Two very cool things, 1 he is in a final fight he removes his jacket to reveal some braces that are crossed over his chest (this is a clearly hint to his costume) after this fight he is left in the wreckage of the building and then we seem him towards the end being rushed into hospital with his body burnt but it lingers on that cross again. Awesome foreshadowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
From the early reviews and screenings, it seems like the biggest questions going forward are:
1. What happens with CA now that SHIELD is gone and he's off to find Bucky?
2. With SHIELD gone, who takes over their mission and what happens to the actually good people who work there?
3. Where does SHIELD folding put the Avengers?

Those are some tough questions that Whedon will have to answer in Agents of SHIELD and Age of Ultron.

1. This is the only thing about the whole film that bugged me, clearly Cap 3 will be in somewhat the hunt for Bucky BUT if AOU takes place before that what will draw Steve in away from this hunt and will his frame of mind be a part of AOU.
2. Personally I think Coulson will rebuild SHIELD and that's what we will see in Agents.
3. I think the bigger question is where does SHIELD folding put places like the Fridge which holds Blonsky.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #27
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!! - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZaTrOn View Post
This isn't the case at all - be warned this spoils a fair chunk of villain motive
Zola formulated an algorithm that when put into the system of 3 helicarriers identifies and analyzes potential threats by analyzing everything about their past, so whilst it is plausible that Strange already is the Doctor it is more likely everything about him was analysed and he was classed as a threat simply as Stephen Strange.

Two very cool things, 1 he is in a final fight he removes his jacket to reveal some braces that are crossed over his chest (this is a clearly hint to his costume) after this fight he is left in the wreckage of the building and then we seem him towards the end being rushed into hospital with his body burnt but it lingers on that cross again. Awesome foreshadowing.

1. This is the only thing about the whole film that bugged me, clearly Cap 3 will be in somewhat the hunt for Bucky BUT if AOU takes place before that what will draw Steve in away from this hunt and will his frame of mind be a part of AOU.
2. Personally I think Coulson will rebuild SHIELD and that's what we will see in Agents.
3. I think the bigger question is where does SHIELD folding put places like the Fridge which holds Blonsky.
Doctor isn't some super hero name....Stephen strange was a surgeon before all the magic stuff. THAT is why he is Doctor Strange

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #28
Huddsy
Side-Kick

So if...

SHIELD is gone... what happens to Blizzard, Abomination, Graviton, The Destroyer Armor, etc.? Maybe the "jail break" rumor was true after all and maybe they save it for AoS???

Huddsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #29
BerkleeBear314
Newbie First Class

Here is the review from Drew McWeeny at Hitfix. He is one of my preferred reviewers out there. Always a great read.
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...winter-soldier

BerkleeBear314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #30
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkleeBear314 View Post
Here is the review from Drew McWeeny at Hitfix. He is one of my preferred reviewers out there. Always a great read.
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...winter-soldier
I was about to post this!

I really love Drew. Yay!

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #31
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
Doctor isn't some super hero name....Stephen strange was a surgeon before all the magic stuff. THAT is why he is Doctor Strange
Stop being so pedantic, I'm well aware of his name and history as a neurosurgeon I was just separating the two personas by simply referring to him by his civilian name as he is referenced in the film.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #32
BerkleeBear314
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I was about to post this!

I really love Drew. Yay!
Woo HOO.. I beat Suzanne to the punch on something.. this seems like a big deal to me.. LOL

And Drew is one of the best.. Unreal writer. I also get the sense he knows a lot about what is going to happen in Age of Ultron.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #33
Nilso
Emitter of Awesome

Not sure if these have been posted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...er-review.html

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...st-look-review

Nilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #34
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkleeBear314 View Post
Woo HOO.. I beat Suzanne to the punch on something.. this seems like a big deal to me.. LOL

And Drew is one of the best.. Unreal writer. I also get the sense he knows a lot about what is going to happen in Age of Ultron.

Any excuse to post Han Solo memes = WIN!!

Drew is just great, great, great at what he does. So good.

Honestly, I know lot of people do discount these geek movie sites and their reviews, but they do fall closer in line with my tastes, and I find that their writing is, many times, just as smart and well-informed as the bigger "top critics".

Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #35
EZIO619
Side-Kick

how many action scenes are in the film?

some of your favorite character and emotional moments in the film?

how well is the relationship between cap and bucky shown and defined in this film?

what are the easter egg references to the MCU? does it hint to Ultron?

THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS!!

EZIO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #36
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Aw Mark Hughes

Quote:
Retweeted by Isaiah
Mark Hughes ‏@markhughesfilms 7m
Why @CaptainAmerica: The Winter Soldier is one of the best films of the superhero genre: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...-to-new-level/ … #WinterSoldier

Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #37
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

Quote:
how many action scenes are in the film?
Just off the top of my head, I would say 6 BIG action scenes, with tons of little action beats peppered throughout.

Quote:
some of your favorite character and emotional moments in the film?
I loved the flashbacks to skinny Steve, especially the one with Bucky. They really communicated a great deal about their relationship and harkened back to the 1940's naivety and innocence of the time. Also Steve's disillusionment with SHIELD and how it culminates towards the end was fantastic. He becomes basically the de facto Director of SHIELD, and it was inspiring watching him work.

Quote:
how well is the relationship between cap and bucky shown and defined in this film?
It was effective, though I thought it was slightly incomplete (probably saving it for Cap 3).

Quote:
what are the easter egg references to the MCU? does it hint to Ultron?
There are almost too many to mention, it feels like they are constant, though decently subtle. The big ones were Sitwell name-checking Stephen Strange and of course the credits tag. I was getting mega Ultron vibes during the big reveal with Zola, but otherwise nothing specific, though I'm sure Feige and Whedon were hands-on for that section to set up AI in a big way.

Visiting Arkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #38
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Time Out UK gave it 4 out of 5 stars, some negatives in the review, but overall positive.

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/c...winter-soldier

Old 03-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #39
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

"Best since Avengers"

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/new...Soldier-3D-12A

Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #40
universeman
Side-Kick

Ok I just got to ask what did
Avengers Tower looked like they said it would be in the movie can someone answer this?
thanks

Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #41
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

I'm laughing at this wall of spoilers I see when I come into this thread. So far I'm resisting clicking on them.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #42
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

I know!

Is this what it was like reading through Nixon's Watergate transcripts?? LOL!

[REDACTED] [REDACTED] [RED-to-the-ACTED!!]

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #43
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Those of who have seen it ought to go post your (more detailed) reviews over in the User Review Thread:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=475803

Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #44
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Lol!

And with the Hitflix and Forbes reviews, I'm completely and unequivocally back to full hype mode now.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #45
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiting Arkham View Post
Just off the top of my head, I would say 6 BIG action scenes, with tons of little action beats peppered throughout.

I loved the flashbacks to skinny Steve, especially the one with Bucky. They really communicated a great deal about their relationship and harkened back to the 1940's naivety and innocence of the time. Also Steve's disillusionment with SHIELD and how it culminates towards the end was fantastic. He becomes basically the de facto Director of SHIELD, and it was inspiring watching him work.

It was effective, though I thought it was slightly incomplete (probably saving it for Cap 3).

There are almost too many to mention, it feels like they are constant, though decently subtle. The big ones were Sitwell name-checking Stephen Strange and of course the credits tag. I was getting mega Ultron vibes during the big reveal with Zola, but otherwise nothing specific, though I'm sure Feige and Whedon were hands-on for that section to set up AI in a big way.
Steve as the Director of SHIELD? Wow, didn't expect that so soon.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #46
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

I'd like to ask a question, if that's okay:

Marvel and the Russo's (and others) kept on talking about an event hat would "change the MCU forever", that would "rock the MCU to its core", and I was wondering what it was. I am pretty sure it is the fall of SHIELD, but I was wondering: is it as 'shocking' as they kept making it out to be?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #47
marcvader
Lurker #1

The almost unanimous agreement that this film is fantastic has me almost on the verge of tears. I'm so happy the Russo's love the character of Steve/Cap so much and put forth this great representation of my favorite comicbook character. It has been looooong overdue.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #48
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Steve as the Director of SHIELD? Wow, didn't expect that so soon.
It doesn't quite go that far, not officially. You'll have to see the scene in question, but they are definitely angling in that direction with the leadership role he takes on at a certain point..

Visiting Arkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #49
BerkleeBear314
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post

Any excuse to post Han Solo memes = WIN!!

Drew is just great, great, great at what he does. So good.

Honestly, I know lot of people do discount these geek movie sites and their reviews, but they do fall closer in line with my tastes, and I find that their writing is, many times, just as smart and well-informed as the bigger "top critics".
LOL.. agree.. Solo memes are always winning!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #50
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

A couple more reviews:

http://movies.uk.msn.com/reviews/cap...eview#scpshrtu 5 of 5 stars. Guess they liked it LOL!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...w-9207486.html