The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #76
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!! - Part

Aw, the Schmoes kind of loved it

*I love gushy fanboys with these types of films! They're adorbs!*

http://schmoesknow.com/captain-ameri...y-the-schmoes/

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #77
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Advance Screening Fan/Critic Reactions - CA:TWS - SPOILERS!!!! BEWARE!!!!! - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZaTrOn View Post
For those who have seen the film regarding the mid-credits scene...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
How did you interpret it? Too me it sounded like Strucker has been using the energy of Loki's Scepter to experiment on people (many of which have died), but the twins survived and thus they gain powers. Did anyone else see it as that? I also really like the idea (if they would run with it) that people with superpowers could be called miracles. Such a great scene.
From how it's being described, my interpretation is that
They already have powers. Strucker is collecting people who either have abilities, or the potential to gain them. Loki's scepter is being used to control their minds and bend them to HYDRA'S will (like Loki did to Hawkeye and Selvig).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #78
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Whedon is skilled at bringing comic book superpowers to the big screen.

While the Cap action left something to be desired his Iron Man, Hulk and Thor action scenes were masterfully done, I thought.
Yup. Whedon has no problem orchestrating action scenes. Silly to suggest otherwise after what those other characters did. He couldve done more with Cap, but it has nothing to do with supposed deficiencies in his action expertise. Critique of this kind is on par with "it looks like a tv show".

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #79
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Yup. Whedon has no problem orchestrating action scenes. Silly to suggest otherwise after what those other characters did. He couldve done more with Cap, but it has nothing to do with supposed deficiencies in his action expertise. Critique of this kind is on par with "it looks like a tv show".
I think Whedon did a tremendous job with the fight scenes in the Avengers. I really liked them.

But he was working with what he saw. Everything Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk did in their solo movies are exactly how they did in the Avengers. Cap's no different. His fighting style, and physical feats were exactly how you saw them in TFA.

Cap's new abilities will no doubt carry on over to AoU, and it will give Whedon something more... 'cooler' to look at instead of some guy running, punching, and kicking.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #80
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Reading all these reviews and spoilers makes me a bit nervous and excited with where the MCU is going. TWS seems have just put the MCU through a blender and AoU and AoS are where we'll start to see the next phase form.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #81
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens to AOS if this movie ends the way that it's being reported
with the fall/disbandment of SHIELD.
Can the show even keep the same title after that? Season 2 will likely be VERY different.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #82
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens to AOS if this movie ends the way that it's being reported
with the fall/disbandment of SHIELD.
Can the show even keep the same title after that? Season 2 will likely be VERY different.
That's going to be the big question going forward. I think we'll find out the direction of the MCU in AoS before we do in AoU since the final episodes deal with the buildup and fallout from TWS and the next heavy dose of Earth-based stuff will be in the 2nd season.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #83
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
From how it's being described, my interpretation is that
They already have powers. Strucker is collecting people who either have abilities, or the potential to gain them. Loki's scepter is being used to control their minds and bend them to HYDRA'S will (like Loki did to Hawkeye and Selvig).
The mind control thing is an assumption, the way Strucker puts it across in the scene makes it come across as he is experimenting on people using the scepter, as Strucker and his subordinate walk down a corridor past other Hydra employees they pass dead bodies and the subordinate asks "What about the survivors?" Strucker responds "Ahhh, the twins...*something something* Age of Miracles." Makes it seems very much like the scepter is being used to transform regular people into "Miracles" and so far the twins are the only survivors. I believe the subordination of Wanda and Pietro will be as a result of the experimentation.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #84
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiting Arkham View Post
I agree with your assessment, and it gave me serious Nazi-surgical experiment vibes. Very well done and creepy direction by Whedon.
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking along those lines. I agree that it was well done and creepy... feels surreal seeing this expansion with these characters a very large universe is at play and we don't even know it. Shame we have to wait until AOU for confirmation on how it actually works.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #85
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Whedon can set up great action sequences. He's just not the type to choreograph super complex melee choreography. He can probably do it if he needs to but itís not his expertise.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #86
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
This paragraph from his review pretty much sums up Jeffrey Wells.

"This is a genre film so you canít get too excited, but the focus, craft and general efficiency that have gone into Winter Soldier are truly exceptional and top-of-the-line. If youíre going to do this kind of crap, this is how you do it."
Note that the very first sentence he writes in this review takes a potshot at fanboys. I think he probably got beaten up by D&D nerds in high school and it made him really bitter.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #87
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Whedon can set up great action sequences. He's just not the type to choreograph super complex melee choreography. He can probably do it if he needs to but it’s not his expertise.
I think "super-complex melee choreography" works better with human abilities like Jason Bourne or Batman's. But when it comes to demigods having Earth shaking battles it's about more than staging a series of punches and kicks. You need to use their unique and bigger than life powers in creative ways and few can do that better than Whedon.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #88
CK Spider
Side-Kick

For those who have seen it:

Who's the Community cameo?

CK Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #89
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Spider View Post
For those who have seen it:

Who's the Community cameo?
Danny Pudi plays a SHIELD employee in the communications hub at the Triskelion.

Visiting Arkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #90
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

A sparkly review from CraveOnline:

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/664375

And… a not so great review ((

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/the...-soldier-26210 (shorter review: NEEDS MOAR 40's/FUNNEH JOKEZ!)

Last edited by Suzanne78; 03-21-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #91
TonyHulkedSBTB

I can't wait any longer for details about Bucky and Steve, so here are a few requests for spoilers:

1. When/How does Steve recognize Bucky?
2. Does Bucky recognize Steve at any point in the film?
3. Are there any particularly emotional moments between Bucky and Steve?
4. Does the movie treat Bucky as someone worth saving, or just a villain?
5. Does Bucky ever break free of his programing the film?
6. Where does Bucky end up at the end of the film?

Thanks

TonyHulkedSBTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #92
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHulkedSBTB View Post
I can't wait any longer for details about Bucky and Steve, so here are a few requests for spoilers:

1. When/How does Steve recognize Bucky?
2. Does Bucky recognize Steve at any point in the film?
3. Are there any particularly emotional moments between Bucky and Steve?
4. Does the movie treat Bucky as someone worth saving, or just a villain?
5. Does Bucky ever break free of his programing the film?
6. Where does Bucky end up at the end of the film?

Thanks
1/2. After the fight on the bridge The Winter Soldier's mask falls off and Steve recognises Bucky and stops fighting and just stares at him and simply says "Bucky?"... Winter Soldier replies "Who's Bucky?" but shows doubt before being attacked by Widow causing him to flee. It's a nice scene because after S.T.R.I.K.E. team show up and rather than escape like before Steve feels lost so he surrenders. Bucky later comments on Steve saying that he knows him but Pierce wipes his mind and reprogrammed his mind back to the mission.
3. The above moment is pretty emotional for Steve, for Buck it's the part when he is recalling the encounter and the final fight is emotional for both. With a great ending.
4.The only redeeming quality of TWS is in that scene where he thinks he recalls Steve. Other than that the only thing that really makes you want Bucky to be saved is Steve's hope in his old friend.
5. I believe his mind is wiped frequently to be reprogrammed but at the end with Hydra defeated he's left to his own devices with a certain display in the Smithsonian about who he really is.
6. See above

Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #93
PokeJ
Side-Kick

Little white lies killed it.

PokeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #94
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Whedon can set up great action sequences. He's just not the type to choreograph super complex melee choreography. He can probably do it if he needs to but itís not his expertise.
Okay good point.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #95
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Aw, the Schmoes kind of loved it

*I love gushy fanboys with these types of films! They're adorbs!*

http://schmoesknow.com/captain-ameri...y-the-schmoes/
I love it when the words "best ever" keep getting used about this film!!!!

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #96
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I think "super-complex melee choreography" works better with human abilities like Jason Bourne or Batman's. But when it comes to demigods having Earth shaking battles it's about more than staging a series of punches and kicks. You need to use their unique and bigger than life powers in creative ways and few can do that better than Whedon.
OK, so where pray-tell was that for Thor? I haven't seen much of it across all of his MCU appearances thus far. The most powerful force he unleashed was when we first met him as he tore apart Johunteim. His fight with IM was cool just for the sake of watching the two of them go at it, alas it was short and because of the nature of the fight between two heroes it was written with handcuffs.

At the end of the day they're going to have to figure out something more than him just being powerful and summoning lightening. While yes he is those things, he's a skillful warrior and near-king of Asgard. I saw Einherjar soldiers doing some badass fighting in the opening of T:TDW that I would like from him.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #97
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

I still don't think they've created an effective fighting style for Thor yet. That's one of the main problems right there. They seem to have found one for Cap.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #98
CK Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Danny Pudi plays a SHIELD employee in the communications hub at the Triskelion.
That's awesome! Love the show. Thanks for the answer.

CK Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #99
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Guys, this isn't the Thor forum. Thus, Thor's fighting style isn't fair game here. Go to the Thor forum to continue.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #100
Robin91939
Master Tim

Can someone please give me a run down of the Arnim Zola stuff? I have looked back through the thread and can't find a detailed description of it.

Thanks.

-R