The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Default SHIELD vs. shield

Thanks to CrimsonKing, I was able to catch the sneak preview last night.

One thing I was EXTREMELY satisfied with was the fact that the Russo brothers were not afraid of Cap's shield. I felt like they used it exceptionally well, and it was a HUGE improvement to the action elements of CA:WS.

If you have felt that "Captain America's Mighty Shield" has been missing from the Marvel Cinematic Universe thus far, you will NOT be disappointed with CA:WS.

I love the fact that they weren't afraid to really cut loose with it, and that they kept things feeling somewhat grounded while still playing loose with the physics of the shield.

One of the many, MANY cool elements to the film!

Khonshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Default Re: SHIELD vs. shield

Glad to hear Cap's Shield finally gets a good portrayed that's more accurate to both the comics and animation in which the shield has personality when Captain America throws his mighty shield it comes back to him like a boomerang

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

This is good to hear. I like his more creative use with the shield; I've only seen trailers/teasers/clips, but so far it looks way more creative than ever before.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
marcvader
Lurker #1

Yes, I love Steve's use of angles and ricochets just like in the comics.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Love the part on the Limerian Star (or whatever) where it ricochets and hits that guy then Cap double-taps him before running off.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Khonshu
Side-Kick

I felt that up until now, the MCU was sort of "afraid" of it in CA:FA and Avengers because it would be hard to explain to unfamiliar audiences that the shield somehow is able to boomerang back to him. I won't post any spoiler content, but I really believe that in CA:WS, the shield is used with a PERFECT blend of "fantasy realism" that completes the image we all have of Cap and his fighting style.

That opening scene is terrific and really only scratches the surface on how Cap can use the shield for both offense and defense. Ricochets, shock absorption, ballistics - a LOT of thought went into how Cap would use the shield in combat, and the fight sequences are filmed with a real kinetic style that frequently left me with my mouth open. There were audible "OHHH!"s and "YEAH!"s throughout the audience every time the shield strikes - I loved that the Russos were able to surprise even the most hardcore fans with the many creative ways that the shield could dish out punishment.

Also really well done is the audio "weight" of it. There are subtle (non-cheesy) vibranium sound effects added to the shield while Cap wields it, and whoever did the sound for it was top notch. We wouldn't believe that it hurt the other guys if it didn't have a cinematic "heft" - the sound team really nailed it. I give them a ton of kudos for perfecting a small element that makes a BIG difference in how we perceive an important part of the film.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khonshu View Post
I felt that up until now, the MCU was sort of "afraid" of it in CA:FA and Avengers because it would be hard to explain to unfamiliar audiences that the shield somehow is able to boomerang back to him. I won't post any spoiler content, but I really believe that in CA:WS, the shield is used with a PERFECT blend of "fantasy realism" that completes the image we all have of Cap and his fighting style.

That opening scene is terrific and really only scratches the surface on how Cap can use the shield for both offense and defense. Ricochets, shock absorption, ballistics - a LOT of thought went into how Cap would use the shield in combat, and the fight sequences are filmed with a real kinetic style that frequently left me with my mouth open. There were audible "OHHH!"s and "YEAH!"s throughout the audience every time the shield strikes - I loved that the Russos were able to surprise even the most hardcore fans with the many creative ways that the shield could dish out punishment.

Also really well done is the audio "weight" of it. There are subtle (non-cheesy) vibranium sound effects added to the shield while Cap wields it, and whoever did the sound for it was top notch. We wouldn't believe that it hurt the other guys if it didn't have a cinematic "heft" - the sound team really nailed it. I give them a ton of kudos for perfecting a small element that makes a BIG difference in how we perceive an important part of the film.
On point.

By the way, we both started here the same 8 rears ago. Happy anniversary.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
On point.

By the way, we both started here the same 8 rears ago. Happy anniversary.
Ha! Thanks, man. I actually had an old account that I started WAYYYY back in 2001 - "spydee" - but I somehow lost track of it. Glad that we have a forum for this stuff - makes me so excited to see the Marvel Universe visually realized in a way that I could only dream about as a kid.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

I want to see Cap slide down something on it. Like he's skiing or something. Recall Legolas using the Uruk Hai shield in The Two Towers.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Ha! Thanks, man. I actually had an old account that I started WAYYYY back in 2001 - "spydee" - but I somehow lost track of it. Glad that we have a forum for this stuff - makes me so excited to see the Marvel Universe visually realized in a way that I could only dream about as a kid.
I've only been interested in the MCU since my sister dragged me to see Avengers back in 2012. Before that I had seen, but never really cared for the Spider-man movies, the Hulk movies, or the X-Men movies.

I can't even imagine what it feels like for you guys to see this sort of stuff. Hell, you guys probably died when you saw the first trailer to Avengers!

But on subject, I was wondering if the rim of Cap's shield is sharp. Like, can it cut stuff.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
Mr. Dent

Hope Joss is taking notes

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Th Biggrin Re: SHIELD vs. shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
I've only been interested in the MCU since my sister dragged me to see Avengers back in 2012. Before that I had seen, but never really cared for the Spider-man movies, the Hulk movies, or the X-Men movies.

I can't even imagine what it feels like for you guys to see this sort of stuff. Hell, you guys probably died when you saw the first trailer to Avengers!

But on subject, I was wondering if the rim of Cap's shield is sharp. Like, can it cut stuff.
There's definitely some rule-bending about the sharpness of the shield, just like in the comics. Sometimes it bounces off of stuff (like peoples FACES), and sometimes it embeds itself into things and stays there (like a metal wall).

There was never a point in the movie where I felt like this difference was a problem or didn't work. There are moments of awesome when it bounces off of stuff, and equal moments of awesome where it gets embedded into stuff.

Suffice to say, all those who chose to oppose his shield must yield.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
Loki882
Side-Kick

Joss had the shield deflect freaking Thor's hammer. It doesn't get anymore badass than that.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Joss had the shield deflect freaking Thor's hammer. It doesn't get anymore badass than that.
While I agree that this was the most powerful demonstration of the shield's ability to take a hit, I also really loved the moment in Avengers when Cap uses the shield to direct Iron Man's repulsor beams at the oncoming Chitauri.

CA:WS borrows from these ideas to show how such a powerful object could be used in combat for both offense and defense. You can tell that the production team sat down and thought about this concept when putting together the different action sets for CA:WS. I cannot WAIT for Joss to do the same for A2.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #15
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Hoping to see stuff like this

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #16
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Nice scans.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #17
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

So I had a question regarding the "abilities" of Cap's shield. In the scene where Bucky's thugs are firing on Cap on the highway, he hides behind his shield and manages to bounce the bullets back against the thugs.
I was wondering, is this something that has occured before in the comics? If I'm not mistaken it hasn't happened in either Avengers or TFA so I was kinda surprised to see it, considering I thought it was supposed to just absorb the impact instead of bouncing it back.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
lol, I remember "Spydee"... thought it was clever...

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

I know it's supposed to absorb the impact the wielder of the shield feels but so far in the MCU, the reflective properties of bullets on it haven't really been shown too much. I know in Stark's SSR lab when Peggy was firing at it, the bullets just dropped to the ground. You do see some of the paint chipped/smeared due to bullets after some time in the field but most of the time was spent absorbing the energy weapons used by Hydra. May be some continuity errors but just too little video evidence to show what the shield is really capable of.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote