The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Drz
Real Hero
 
Drz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,869
Default Captain America and killing discussion

I also love the fact that he doesn't have some "no kill" rule like comic books have, because you know, they're comics, but this is "real life" and when it comes down to it, Captain America should be taking down terrorists.

__________________
"I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!"
Thoughts & Rambles
Drz is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,621
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Cap doesn't have a no kill rule in the comics.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,198
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Cap doesn't have a no kill rule in the comics.
Cap used to have a no-kill rule, though. The Silver Age comic books were under the Comic Code, which didn't allow heroes to deliberately kill villains. Once the code was abandoned that fell by the wayside.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,621
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Ahh yea that's true. But it's better this way. Cap is a soldier, he should kill when he has to.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Drz
Real Hero
 
Drz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,869
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Captain America in comics still has a no kill rule, please, if you don't read comics, don't pretend to know what you're talking about. Thank you.

__________________
"I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!"
Thoughts & Rambles
Drz is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,926
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Captain America in comics still has a no kill rule, please, if you don't read comics, don't pretend to know what you're talking about. Thank you.
And please, if you're going to be so harsh in bashing people for not having adequate comics knowledge, make sure not to overlook the numerous comics in recent years that show Captain America killing enemies. Thank you.

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Ms. Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S.W.O.R.D.
Posts: 2,894
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Captain America in comics still has a no kill rule, please, if you don't read comics, don't pretend to know what you're talking about. Thank you.
No he doesn't, he has a don't-kill-if-it-isn't-necessary rule. He has killed quite a few times without showing remorse. Like in the beginning of TWS storyline.

__________________
2014 CBMs

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,621
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Captain America in comics still has a no kill rule, please, if you don't read comics, don't pretend to know what you're talking about. Thank you.
Errr... yea he does kill. In fact, he kills in the comic this film is based on. I've been reading comics for 20 odd years so don't question my knowledge, son.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
Drz
Real Hero
 
Drz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,869
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
And please, if you're going to be so harsh in bashing people for not having adequate comics knowledge, make sure not to overlook the numerous comics in recent years that show Captain America killing enemies. Thank you.
Name me five modern comics of Captain America killing enemies ln thr modern era. I'm solely takking about the 616-Captain America, not the Ultimate one, which is my favorite take on Captain America.

Ps. You can't.

__________________
"I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!"
Thoughts & Rambles
Drz is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,926
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Name me five modern comics of Captain America killing enemies ln thr modern era.

Ps. You can't.
He killed plenty in Ed Brubaker's comics. I know with 100% certainty that he killed during World War II, and I'm pretty sure he has killed in the present too. He doesn't make a habit of it and will avoid it if possible, he's not The Punisher, but he definitely doesn't have a Batman-style "no kill" vow, either.

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Drz
Real Hero
 
Drz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,869
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Who did he kill in Brubakers run?

Yeah Captain America killed in WW2, but then he's had the no kill rule. We can argue that Red Skull got killed by Cap in Bru's run, but he was just a robot anyhow. :P

My point is, the moden day Cap does't kill, but allows Wolverine. Its comics.

__________________
"I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!"
Thoughts & Rambles
Drz is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #12
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,926
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Who did he kill in Brubakers run?

Yeah Captain America killed in WW2, but then he's had the no kill rule. We can argue that Red Skull got killed by Cap in Bru's run, but he was just a robot anyhow. :P

My point is, the moden day Cap does't kill, but allows Wolverine. Its comics.
Well, in your original post you didn't differentiate between WW2 and present, you just said he had a "no kill rule." As far as who specifically he killed in Brubaker's run, I can't recall specific instances off-hand, but there were instances of henchmen getting knocked off of a great height by Cap or getting hit by gunfire where it's not specifically saying he killed them but I'd figure it's implied.

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #13
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,621
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

He knocked two guys off a speeding train in the very first issue of Brubaker's run and Agent Carter specifically states they are dead. He puts another one in a coma. There is other examples in the run. Cap kills when he has to. He ain't Batman, he's a soldier.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick
 
MahvelBaby!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,205
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Name me five modern comics of Captain America killing enemies ln thr modern era. I'm solely takking about the 616-Captain America, not the Ultimate one, which is my favorite take on Captain America.

Ps. You can't.
....So happy Keyser PWND you

MahvelBaby! is online now  
Old 03-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
Figs
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,626
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
....So happy Keyser PWND you
Same here.

I can't stand that type of fan that for some sad reason has to make sure people know they are the most hard core/biggest fan over everyone else and no one's knowledge of that character comes close to theirs.

Figs is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
spider-neil
spins a web any size!
 
spider-neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,279
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

I've read a comic where Cap de-cap-itates (see what I did there? ) someone with his shield so he has killed in comics.

spider-neil is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
captainrogers
Diluted SuperSoldier
 
captainrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bowie, Maryland
Posts: 2,313
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Cap does Not have the strict no kill rule.
He just does it when necessary.
Here is the sequence at the begining of Bru's run that's being referenced.







__________________
"On Olympus, we measure wisdom against Athena...speed against Hermes...power against Zeus. But we measure courage...against Captain America."

-Hercules, Captain America #444
captainrogers is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #18
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,926
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
....So happy Keyser PWND you
Thanks, but I wouldn't say I pwnd anyone, just disagreed with them. Besides, I couldn't even remember the specific instance with the runaway train, just that I was sure I'd read a sequence where some bad guys fall from a height and are presumed dead. It was The Endless who recalled the specific scene and captainrogers who supplied the scan.

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #19
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,240
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I've read a comic where Cap de-cap-itates (see what I did there? ) someone with his shield so he has killed in comics.
Yeah he cut off Baron Blood's head. Plus the guys in brubakers run, I think he offed some terrorists in the Rieber/Cassaday run in the early 00's as well.

And it's just as well, the no-kill rule is just an outdated holdover from the Comics Code days anyway.

__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
PokeJ
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 285
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Pretty funny seeing DrZ get pawned. Lol.

PokeJ is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #21
Drz
Real Hero
 
Drz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,869
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Well, in your original post you didn't differentiate between WW2 and present
That was my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
, you just said he had a "no kill rule." As far as who specifically he killed in Brubaker's run, I can't recall specific instances off-hand, but there were instances of henchmen getting knocked off of a great height by Cap or getting hit by gunfire where it's not specifically saying he killed them but I'd figure it's implied.
I'm talking about Captain America making direct kill orders or doing the kill himself. In the Winter Soldier movie, Captain America not only orders the deaths of terrorists, he kills people himself too, which is great, he is a soldier and it is progress to the character, because this is real life.

However in comics, you don't see the Avengers kill off A.I.M, HYDRA, HAMMER, LEVIATHAN and whatnot terrorists.

I mean, if Captain America was okay with killing as his movie version is for example, why are Crossbones, Sin and so on alive? Why didn't Red Skull or Arnim Zola bite the bullet sooner, etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrogers View Post
Here is the sequence at the begining of Bru's run that's being referenced.

Lol, you forgot to add this:

Captain America wasn't his usual self, because of the stress Red Skull has caused him. Steve Rogers has flaws, he's not gonna loose sleep, but the comic Steve doesn't aim for the kill.

If it was Cap's usual behavior, why would Sharon argue againts it?

Look at how Steve Rogers treats Wolverine, the first page is from the initial New Avengers by Bendis, when Wolverine was invited, this is like 9 years old stuff.

Then look at how Wolverine is treated by Captain in Avengers: Endless Wartime, released last year and aimed at Avengers movie fans.


This is from 2-3 years ago from Rick Remender's Secret Avengers, when Captain America requested Hawkeye to lead his new team of Avengers, look how comic morals are still being seen:


"Avengers don't kill", who do you think is the prime example of all Avengers? Captain America.

Now again, if you can find me those non-WW2 kills that Brubaker had Captain America make, remember kill orders and taking down terrorists: I am open ears.

__________________
"I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!"
Thoughts & Rambles
Drz is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #22
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Ms. Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S.W.O.R.D.
Posts: 2,894
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post



I mean, if Captain America was okay with killing as his movie version is for example, why are Crossbones, Sin and so on alive? Why didn't Red Skull or Arnim Zola bite the bullet sooner, etc etc.

Lol, you forgot to add this:

Captain America wasn't his usual self, because of the stress Red Skull has caused him. Steve Rogers has flaws, he's not gonna loose sleep, but the comic Steve doesn't aim for the kill.

If it was Cap's usual behavior, why would Sharon argue againts it?

"The man I knew didn't hit that hard unless he had to."She didn't say he never used to kill, she just noticed he had been a lot more aggressive than usual. He also shows little remorse for the murders as opposed to someone with an actual no killing rule. For example, Superman's reaction after killing Zod in MOS.

__________________
2014 CBMs

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
Drz
Real Hero
 
Drz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,869
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Captain America kills alot of people in The Winter Soldier and you could argue he didn't have to do that. From the pirates in the Indian sea and the 3rd act explosions that Steve causes.

He doesn't have the same kind of "no kill" rule that Batman does, but Captain America in the comics doesn't go on the same killing path that the movie incarnation does.

Those terrorists died because Cap was under stress, in this year's Captain America ongoing Captain America would had killed Nuke, if Falcon hadn't stopped him, because Cap was stressed out.

Cap isn't a flawless man, i like that, but the comic book Avengers don't kill barely, but the movie ones do.

__________________
"I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!"
Thoughts & Rambles
Drz is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #24
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,926
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
That was my mistake.



I'm talking about Captain America making direct kill orders or doing the kill himself. In the Winter Soldier movie, Captain America not only orders the deaths of terrorists, he kills people himself too, which is great, he is a soldier and it is progress to the character, because this is real life.

However in comics, you don't see the Avengers kill off A.I.M, HYDRA, HAMMER, LEVIATHAN and whatnot terrorists.

I mean, if Captain America was okay with killing as his movie version is for example, why are Crossbones, Sin and so on alive? Why didn't Red Skull or Arnim Zola bite the bullet sooner, etc etc.

Lol, you forgot to add this:

Captain America wasn't his usual self, because of the stress Red Skull has caused him. Steve Rogers has flaws, he's not gonna loose sleep, but the comic Steve doesn't aim for the kill.

If it was Cap's usual behavior, why would Sharon argue againts it?

Look at how Steve Rogers treats Wolverine, the first page is from the initial New Avengers by Bendis, when Wolverine was invited, this is like 9 years old stuff.

Then look at how Wolverine is treated by Captain in Avengers: Endless Wartime, released last year and aimed at Avengers movie fans.


This is from 2-3 years ago from Rick Remender's Secret Avengers, when Captain America requested Hawkeye to lead his new team of Avengers, look how comic morals are still being seen:


"Avengers don't kill", who do you think is the prime example of all Avengers? Captain America.

Now again, if you can find me those non-WW2 kills that Brubaker had Captain America make, remember kill orders and taking down terrorists: I am open ears.
None of those scans suggest that Captain America has a "no-kill" code....

First scan has Sharon Carter saying that, before his emotional turmoil, he didn't kill "unless he has to," not that he had made a vow against ever committing murder under any circumstance.

Second and third scan featuring Cap's relationship with Wolverine isn't about him disapproving of Wolverine killing at all, but disagreeing with Wolverine's methods, how he's too violent and casual about killing. In that third one Wolverine assumes Cap will think him not a "good soldier", not because he killed, but because he killed someone retreating who wasn't a threat to him. There's a Bucky/Cap flashback scene I read where Bucky goes to shoot an escaping Nazi with a sniper rifle and Captain America stops him, saying that you don't shoot someone in the back, because if they're running away, it means they've stopped fighting and they're not a threat to you. Again, not "I'll never kill", but "I'll only kill if it's absolutely necessary."

As for the last one, you're really reaching there. Captain America isn't even in the scene at all, and you're playing six degrees of Kevin Bacon with "Hawkeye says Avengers don't kill... Captain America embodies the ideal values of an Avenger.... therefore he must have a no-kill code."

And the goalposts of your argument keep on changing. First it was....

"Captain America has a no kill rule in the comics."

Then it was brought up that he killed lots of people in World War 2. Then you said your point was....

"Captain America has a no kill rule in the present day."

Then someone provided a scan where him and Sharon talk about him killing a couple of bad guys in the present day. So now your point has changed to "Captain America doesn't make premeditated kill orders on terrorists in the present day?"

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,926
Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Captain America kills alot of people in The Winter Soldier and you could argue he didn't have to do that. From the pirates in the Indian sea and the 3rd act explosions that Steve causes.

He doesn't have the same kind of "no kill" rule that Batman does, but Captain America in the comics doesn't go on the same killing path that the movie incarnation does.

Those terrorists died because Cap was under stress, in this year's Captain America ongoing Captain America would had killed Nuke, if Falcon hadn't stopped him, because Cap was stressed out.

Cap isn't a flawless man, i like that, but the comic book Avengers don't kill barely, but the movie ones do.
I would say his movie incarnation is actually pretty consistent with his comic version. Both of them are generally opposed to killing, will avoid it if they can, but they will kill if its necessary in a combat situation.

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.