The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #51
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,896
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
It was a joke. Hence the smilies.
I don't believe it was a joke. You might try to play the innocent now, but as soon as you said that, then two other people leapt on me and tried to cause an argument. In my view, you were out to cause mischief.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, GoTG 7.5/10, CA:TWS 8/10, Interstellar 8.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #52
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,896
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

I was thinking more about this movie today and why it didn't engage with me as much as I hoped.

I mean, Chris Evans, Scarlett and Sam Jackson are all great in their roles, and Falcon seemed very good too.

I think another reason I didn't connect with it is that some of the smaller characters seemed to get brief (and sometimes unresolved moments) in the movie, like Arnim Zola, Peggy Carter, Batroc (who was arrested off screen). Those characters weren't threaded through the film, which made the movie seem like separate little compartments... A bit disjointed perhaps?

But I want to say I didn't hate it, it just didn't connect with me enough.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, GoTG 7.5/10, CA:TWS 8/10, Interstellar 8.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #53
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 27,875
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I don't believe it was a joke. You might try to play the innocent now, but as soon as you said that, then two other people leapt on me and tried to cause an argument. In my view, you were out to cause mischief.
My intentions are now based on how you and other react to something clearly labelled as a joke? I think you might be revealing a bit too much truth with these words.

Though I am a fan of mischief.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #54
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 28,184
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

the only thing I didn't like about the film I saw was it was UNFINISHED at the time I saw it. lol

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #55
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 27,875
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
the only thing I didn't like about the film I saw was it was UNFINISHED at the time I saw it. lol
Though according to TeeKay that means there was a bit more.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #56
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,920
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
My only real complaint is that I wish Sharon had more to do and wish she had more of a coming out moment at the end. To show she is her truly Peggy's blood. Like grandmother like daughter as they say.

Also pretty much the entire Rumlow/Falcon fight happened offscreen.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #57
Jumpman
Side-Kick
 
Jumpman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 607
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

The extravaganza of this film's 3rd act could've been easily avoided, to be honest.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
To stop the Hellicarriers, why didn't Cap and company call Stark, considering, you know, he invented the new propulsion system for the Hellicarriers? I mean, are we to believe that Stark couldn't have had JARVIS to hack into SHIELD, especially since there was a lot of hacking going on in the film and the fact that Stark did it before...in the Avengers.


Just saying. It's still a solid picture and I still think the best, most complete film of the MCU, but the 3rd Act didn't need to be as big as it was, considering how balanced the first two were.

Jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #58
fixxxer
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 1,132
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Thought it was near flawless. Even my minor nitpicks were more of the "what if they did this instead of this" variety.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #59
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 13,586
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
The extravaganza of this film's 3rd act could've been easily avoided, to be honest.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
To stop the Hellicarriers, why didn't Cap and company call Stark, considering, you know, he invented the new propulsion system for the Hellicarriers? I mean, are we to believe that Stark couldn't have had JARVIS to hack into SHIELD, especially since there was a lot of hacking going on in the film and the fact that Stark did it before...in the Avengers.


Just saying. It's still a solid picture and I still think the best, most complete film of the MCU, but the 3rd Act didn't need to be as big as it was, considering how balanced the first two were.
Why does a lot of stuff happen in movies, when there is an obvious and easier option for the main characters to take?

Because it wouldnt make for much entertainment if they did. It's as simple as that.

__________________
Klaus Hergesheimer - checking radiation shields....
Brian Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #60
Jumpman
Side-Kick
 
Jumpman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 607
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Why does a lot of stuff happen in movies, when there is an obvious and easier option for the main characters to take?

Because it wouldnt make for much entertainment if they did. It's as simple as that.
Very true. But this film was endlessly entertaining at the size that it was before he went very big. It didn't need to be that big. Hell, why didn't the Russo execute the same climax with all the action it had except not have the Hellicarriers launch?

At least that way, the 3rd act would feel of the same piece as the first two.

Jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #61
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Ms. Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S.W.O.R.D.
Posts: 2,919
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I'm kind of confused. That scene where he jumps out of the elevator and lands on the ground with minor injuries. Did his shield absorb the impact?

__________________
HAIL HYDRA
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #62
Enriquespy
Side-Kick
 
Enriquespy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Queretaro
Posts: 2,546
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
They make Hydra too big inside of Shield, it should have been a smaller infiltration
.

__________________

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #63
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Ms. Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S.W.O.R.D.
Posts: 2,919
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquespy View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
They make Hydra too big inside of Shield, it should have been a smaller infiltration
.
Then the stakes wouldn't have been high.

__________________
HAIL HYDRA
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #64
Ryu_do_Sen
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 148
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Hi everyone. I loved the movie. I thought it was great, really intense but I have a few critiques of the film:
1. The pacing of the movie feels a little bit rushed. Everything is happening so fast and most people (especially, those who aren't familiar with the characters) need the time to digest the information.
2. The action scenes are really good but we still haven't seen more of the acrobatic fighting style of cap that we usually see in the comics - we got a glimpse of it in the avengers when cap is takin' out a squad of chitauri and is helped by iron man-. I, for one, was really expecting to see more of that.
3. The winter soldier origin story was something that needed a bit more development, I think. We don't if he has powers (other than the ones given to him by his metal arm) and/or what kind of powers: the non-aging, the physical prowess equal (or not?) to cap's, etc. I know they probably wanted to save all that stuff for cap 3 but i think the villain (or supposed villain) needs a bit more exposure and definition.
4. There was footage shown of fight scenes in the official trailers and tv spots that didn't made through the final cut of the movie (for example, the one that cap is leapin' in the helicarriers and is driving down his shield into the helicarriers). If they didn't want put that footage in the film, why did they show it in the trailers? I don't understand.......
5. Finally, i have a minor beef with the way they portrait cap's abilities because the audience never really understands if he has or hasn't superhuman abilities. It's really ambiguous. On one hand, he faces off Batroc, with some degree of difficulty, who is not superhuman and is kinda on the same level as cap. On the other hand, Cap, later on, is taking down single-handedly an aircraft and, by the end of the movie, is lifting a huge metal beam.


Last edited by Ryu_do_Sen; 04-01-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Ryu_do_Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #65
First Avenger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asgard
Posts: 1,104
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Almost flawless for me.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #66
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Ms. Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S.W.O.R.D.
Posts: 2,919
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_do_Sen View Post
Hi everyone. I loved the movie. I thought it was great, really intense but I have a few critiques of the film:
1. The pacing of the movie feels a little bit rushed. Everything is happening so fast and most people (especially, those who aren't familiar with the characters) need the time to digest the information.
2. The action scenes are really good but we still haven't seen more of the acrobatic fighting style of cap that we usually see in the comics - we got a glimpse of it in the avengers when cap is takin' out a squad of chitauri and is helped by iron man-. I, for one, was really expecting to see more of that.
3. The winter soldier origin story was something that needed a bit more development, I think. We don't if he has powers (other than the ones given to him by his metal arm) and/or what kind of powers: the non-aging, the physical prowess equal (or not?) to cap's, etc. I know they probably wanted to save all that stuff for cap 3 but i think the villain (or supposed villain) needs a bit more exposure and definition.
4. There was footage shown of fight scenes in the official trailers and tv spots that didn't made through the final cut of the movie (for example, the one that cap is leapin' in the helicarriers and is driving down his shield into the helicarriers). If they didn't want put that footage in the film, why did they show it in the trailers? I don't understand.......
5. Finally, i have a minor beef with the way they portrait cap's abilities because the audience never really understands if he has or hasn't superhuman abilities. It's really ambiguous. On one hand, he faces off Batroc, with some degree of difficulty, who is not superhuman and is kinda on the same level as cap. On the other hand, Cap, later on, is taking down single-handedly an aircraft and, by the end of the movie, is lifting a huge metal beam.
I'm pretty sure that did make it to the final cut.

__________________
HAIL HYDRA
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #67
Ryu_do_Sen
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 148
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I'm pretty sure that did make it to the final cut.
the scenes at 2:05 and 2:06......In the european version that i saw, they didn't put it in.....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

Ryu_do_Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 AM   #68
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 882
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I'm kind of confused. That scene where he jumps out of the elevator and lands on the ground with minor injuries. Did his shield absorb the impact?
Yes.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #69
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,092
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

My friend, who had seen it, said that the only real problem that she had with it was how the CGI for some of the backgrounds didn't feel as seamless at times, namely the CGI to create the background for the city at night when Steve chased the Winter Soldier on top of the roof and threw his shield at him.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 AM   #70
Who
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

I have read a few things on this forum for a while. I am ignorant, very ignorant, about comic books so I never thought to subscribe.

Then I watched Cap 2 and I needed to.

Because I found it just so horrid. And I'm not talking of the obvious flaws in logic or the fact that some action scenes were lame. Whatever. It's a superhero movie. You roll your eyes and let it go.

What I find offensive is the concept behind the movie as expressed by the black widow toward the end.

Frankly when I watch a superhero movie I don't want to be there hoping that at least one of the so-called good guys will die a horrible death. Not Cap, poor thing. He's just not very bright, but the others...

It's nice that they tried to give some texture to their characters. Pity that it's a texture I would take great pleasure to burn. Repeatedly.

Sorry. Needed to vent. I hated it THAT much.

Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #71
Enriquespy
Side-Kick
 
Enriquespy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Queretaro
Posts: 2,546
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
Then the stakes wouldn't have been high.
It is still a heavy retconning of all of previous shield actions.

__________________

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #72
PacificBoy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquespy View Post
It is still a heavy retconning of all of previous shield actions.
How has it though? To me, it simply made the previous shield actions more sinister, more second-guessy in nature.

The motivation for some of Shield's previous initiatives could have differed, but the means was the same. In fact there were probably instances where the Hydra and Shield objectives were on the same page, given the secret world police status of Shield.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #73
The Endless
WE are Groot
 
The Endless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,712
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Why do people think Batroc was fighting evenly with Cap? To me it was pretty clear Batroc was trying his best and Rogers was comfortable and confident of the win.

__________________
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes
The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #74
eikerir
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Caracas, Venezuela
Posts: 48
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

The main thing that i didn't like was the lack of the theme music from the first movie. Cap's theme was easily my favorite and the most memorable of all the Marvel movies so far, i was sad that it was missing from this.

eikerir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #75
dario2739
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: England
Posts: 413
Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

First off, have to admit that when it comes to comics i'm a DC reader, however Marvel really have excelled in comitting their characters to movies.
Take Captain America – a character I never really had an interest in before, but I loved First Avenger... still the best of the Avenger universe films for me... and I also really enjoyed Winter Soldier.
I only had two (minor) gripes really, which didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film, but seeing as how this thread exists...
Firstly - Falcon! I just thought his 'friendship' with the Cap was all a bit rushed... "Hey we've just met, but we're now best buddies" sort of thing... and "oh, by the way did I tell you I just happened to be able to fly this really cool backpack gizmo?!"
And secondly - not really a gripe, more of a query you experts can answer.
The Winter Solder! - Now I guess that in the comics he's brainwashed by the Soviets as their equivalent of Cap... however in the movie they clearly tell you that Hydra picked him up and brainwashed him etc. to be their 'weapon'. Now the problem I have with this is, that the events in FA that led to Bucky falling from the train also led to Armin Zola's capture, yet in Bucky's flashback he sees Zola conducting the proceedures done to him... Surely he can't have been there, and also if he was a Hydra agent why the red star on his arm - surely he'd have the Hydra badge?

dario2739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.