The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #76
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Second thingy: Other than the winter soldier, shield has some very bad shooters, like, storm troopers level on times.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #77
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I thought the movie was great. I only have a few nitpicks. I might think of more later.

1. I wished that it was made more clear that Agent 13 was Sharon Carter and that we saw her have a personal connection to Peggy, whether through a photo or her visiting Hayley. Or a conversation with her and Steve about that.

2. I wish Batroc had a mask. Apart from the Winter Soldier, it sometimes looked like Cap was fighting regular guys, and the general audience wouldn't necessarily know that Batroc was a comic book villain.

3. Would've been great if Hawkeye was the one in the STRIKE uniform instead of Maria Hill, and he had rescued them instead.

4. I would've liked to see more of a fight between Falcon and Rumlow.

5. I wish they showed more scenes of Redford actually appearing more earnest, so that it seemed more of a shock that he was the villain. Sometimes he still seemed a bit suspicious even before it was revealed.

6. I would've liked a flashback of Peggy either from TFA or from Agent Carter, or even a whole new scene.

7. Also would've liked the Silvestri Cap theme to play when Steve put on the WWII uniform again at the end, as if to say that Cap is back and is no longer the SHIELD agent.

8. Also would've liked more of a fight scene between Sharon Carter and Rumlow or at least Sharon fighting some Hydra agents.

9. I wish Falcon wore something more red and white in the flight sequence.

As I said though, these are all minor nitpicks and more of a wishlist.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #78
jmc
callin' it like I see it

This is going to sound like an odd complaint but the blatant Apple product placement really took me out of the film. Other than that score was probably a bit weak, and Winter Soldier almost felt like he could have been any bad guy. That's really about it though.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:00 AM   #79
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
This is going to sound like an odd complaint but the blatant Apple product placement really took me out of the film. Other than that score was probably a bit weak, and Winter Soldier almost felt like he could have been any bad guy. That's really about it though.
It wasn't even Apple; it was for HTC. Shows how much all these smartphones lookalike these days.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #80
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

My complaint is the 3D actually. It was...murky

Paladin-Hoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #81
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Yeah, the 3D could've been better. Nothing really jumped out at all. Even any shield tosses. It could just as easily have been a 2D movie. Were there ANY 3D effects at all in this film?

And one other major complaint I have, which is nothing to do with the film, is that the projector cut out for a few seconds in the middle of the freeway battle with the Winter Soldier. Of all places to cut out. Fortunately not much was lost, but still, the theatre people should get their act together.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #82
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
My complaint is the 3D actually. It was...murky
Agreed, its was poor. Cant wait to see this film in 2D again.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #83
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
And one other major complaint I have, which is nothing to do with the film, is that the projector cut out for a few seconds in the middle of the freeway battle with the Winter Soldier. Of all places to cut out. Fortunately not much was lost, but still, the theatre people should get their act together.
LOL what a coincidence! my theatre cuts for a break just before the freeway battle.Wasn't really complaining, by that time i could use a smoke and a new bottle of beer anyway.

Quote:
Agreed, its was poor. Cant wait to see this film in 2D again.
My local theatre doesn't have a 2D option, sadly.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #84
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Why would it cut for a break there? It's not like it's such a long movie that it has to be split in two.

And my local theatre doesn't have 2D either. In fact, many of them are seeming to phase that out.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #85
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Why would it cut for a break there? It's not like it's such a long movie that it has to be split in two.

And my local theatre doesn't have 2D either. In fact, many of them are seeming to phase that out.

My local theatre always cuts for a break,even if the movie is only 90 minutes.

It's cool with me, just means that you can go outside for a 10 minutes ciggie breaks

and yeah that sucks about 2D.And this movie 3D is the only time i have a problem with a movie 3D effects

Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #86
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

The only real flaw I can think of is a few jarring scene transitions.

e.g. The cut from the mall to the stolen car.

or the cut from the ship to Shield HQ.

It felt evident that there were transitional scenes that were cut for time.

Otherwise I loved everything about it.

HERESY!
Wise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #87
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Can anyone point out what were the actual 3D effects?

There was nothing obvious at all.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #88
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

There were no pokes -at the -camera shots if that's what you mean.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #89
jmc
callin' it like I see it

The trailers more or less showed this is the type of movie where 3D would have been totally pointless, far too dark and monochromatic. Frankly if you couldn't tell the 3D wasn't going to work before time you kinda deserve to have wasted the extra money.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.

Last edited by jmc; 04-03-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #90
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
It wasn't even Apple; it was for HTC. Shows how much all these smartphones lookalike these days.
I was talking about the Apple Store scene. I've seen some blatant product placement but that one takes the cake.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #91
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario2739 View Post
First off, have to admit that when it comes to comics i'm a DC reader, however Marvel really have excelled in comitting their characters to movies.
Take Captain America a character I never really had an interest in before, but I loved First Avenger... still the best of the Avenger universe films for me... and I also really enjoyed Winter Soldier.
I only had two (minor) gripes really, which didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film, but seeing as how this thread exists...
Firstly - Falcon! I just thought his 'friendship' with the Cap was all a bit rushed... "Hey we've just met, but we're now best buddies" sort of thing... and "oh, by the way did I tell you I just happened to be able to fly this really cool backpack gizmo?!"
And secondly - not really a gripe, more of a query you experts can answer.
The Winter Solder! - Now I guess that in the comics he's brainwashed by the Soviets as their equivalent of Cap... however in the movie they clearly tell you that Hydra picked him up and brainwashed him etc. to be their 'weapon'. Now the problem I have with this is, that the events in FA that led to Bucky falling from the train also led to Armin Zola's capture, yet in Bucky's flashback he sees Zola conducting the proceedures done to him... Surely he can't have been there, and also if he was a Hydra agent why the red star on his arm - surely he'd have the Hydra badge?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Remember, Zola says he was brought onto Shield as a top scienctist after his capture. Shield did not realize that Zola was secretly rebuilding hydra. We also don't know how long after the fall that bucky was found. The red star could of been placed on the arm if everything after WWII was all done in Russia and if he was a major player in Soviet Union and such. Natasha said he was traced back to the 60s...

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #92
eikerir
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I was talking about the Apple Store scene. I've seen some blatant product placement but that one takes the cake.

I don't mind it, Apple products are everywhere these days, it actually sticks out MORE when its obviously a fake or generic product that appears in a movie.

eikerir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #93
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

1. Inadequate introduction for Sharon, if she really is supposed to have a lead role in the next movie.

2. I wasn't feeling a lot of Widow's humor.

3. Falcon was underutilized. He's a definite standout, don't get me wrong, but he comes off as more of a sidekick than a peer or a partner. I also blinked at how raring to join team Steve he was.

4. SHIELD folds too easy. I'm surprised Maria didn't at least argue against it.

5. The origin of the Winter Soldier is kind of vague. He was found by Russian troops, but he somehow ended up being experimented on by Zola, who is working for the Americans.

6. Zola as an all-out villain. Very comic-booky, but goes against the previous depiction; Zola as a weak-willed toady with no particular loyalty to HYDRA and kind of not feeling the whole evil thing.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #94
krycek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikerir View Post
The main thing that i didn't like was the lack of the theme music from the first movie. Cap's theme was easily my favorite and the most memorable of all the Marvel movies so far, i was sad that it was missing from this.
Thats an issue with all the MCU movies. They never keep the score consistant in the sequels. Still at least they played Cap's theme once in the opening scene with Falcon.

krycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #95
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I would've liked to have seen Amanda Righetti's character showing up again in Cap 2. She could at least have had a cameo role when there was the SHIELD Mexican standoff. She seems to have been an entirely throwaway character in CA:TFA.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #96
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikerir View Post
I don't mind it, Apple products are everywhere these days, it actually sticks out MORE when its obviously a fake or generic product that appears in a movie.
Eh, I just found it took me completely out of the movie. I could tell it was an Apple-like store they were in which was fine but I couldn't help but roll my eyes when the employee came over in his blue Apple shirt and started chatting, it was more or less an Apple ad for about a min.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #97
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

As I wrote in my review, one of the weak points of the movie was Robert Redford's character. He lacks depth and he is poorly explained, he stops short of being a great villain. He's just some career bureaucrat who somehow became enamoured of Hydra and apparently became a leadership figure within Hydra. When he shoots his housekeeper, there's no shock, as everybody saw that coming.

I've been putting some thought into it, and perhaps the plot change that would have been needed to make this a masterpiece would have been to remove all references to Hydra. Just have Redford be an American with a different vision of where America should proceed, tell the story from the vantage point of "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" rather than have Hydra as a virus that infects an otherwise innocent host.

The movie ends with everything cleaned up. Shield is closed. Hydra is wounded and in retreat. Everybody either finds a new job or gets to keep its old job. The US government is pure again as it locks up some criminals.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #98
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I honestly cannot find anything that bothered me personally. Anything I would think of would just be nitpicky stuff

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #99
SuperJediHero
Mind BLOWN!!!

NO Agent Coulson/Tony Stark = ONLY minor issue.

Also comon Captain America how could you get Stan Lee fired?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #100
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Not much for me either.

The opening shaky cam shots, and as close to the screen as I was, I had NO idea what was going on... there were fights, I think...

A couple of the fights seemed to run long or were redundant

I would agree with others that I would have enjoyed more of everything I liked about the movie, which is an off handed compliment in a way. Peggy's scene was the worst disappointment here.

I didn't like that Sitwell had to be so corrupt or that he had to get killed like that. I liked that guy and appreciated what he brought to the Universe. It's also notable that he was the highest profile (only?) hispanic actor in the MCU.

I think this part is beyond Stan's range. I don't think Johnston cast for Winter Soldier, I think he cast for Sgt. Barnes. Something about his performance here left me highly unimpressed, but I loved him in the flashback scene.

I thought Steve made a really bad call having the helicarriers fire on each other over a populated city. I didn't get that. What was the urgency, exactly?

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote