The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 AM   #101
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

Default Re: What you didn't like about Captain America: TWS - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikerir View Post
I don't mind it, Apple products are everywhere these days, it actually sticks out MORE when its obviously a fake or generic product that appears in a movie.
Agreed.
I guarantee you that at any given time nearly 75% of the audience has an apple product in their pocket, and nearly 100% of them have been in an apple store at some point. I had no problem with that, it's a reflection of the real world in a way.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 04-04-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:48 AM   #102
Thoix
Side-Kick

I only didn't like two things:

1. No Hawkeye
2. The stereotypical Apple store clerk.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #103
The Endless
WE are Groot

Yea no Hawkeye or even a passing mention of him is kind of strange. All it would have taken is an exchange of dialogue between Natasha and Fury.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #104
Harley2004
Side-Kick

I didn't like the Falcon, at all. Sam Wilson, was good the other character was distracting and should have just stayed on Winter Soldier/Captain America. The action scenes, the fight scenes were so intense, and then this normal guy just shows up with wings taking on an aircraft carrier?

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #105
The Endless
WE are Groot

He's not really a normal guy though. He a was specially trained Airborne soldier with a prototype wing suit.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #106
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I don't get the no Hawkeye complaint. If he wasn't needed for the story he wasn't needed for the story.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.

Last edited by jmc; 04-04-2014 at 02:00 AM.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #107
The Endless
WE are Groot

But the idea that a major SHIELD agent has no involvement in this massive event in SHIELD's history is kind of strange to me. If they found a way to write Maria Hill into the story, why not Hawkeye?

It'd not a major issue for me, it's just strange.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #108
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
But the idea that a major SHIELD agent has no involvement in this massive event in SHIELD's history is kind of strange to me. If they found a way to write Maria Hill into the story, why not Hawkeye?

It'd not a major issue for me, it's just strange.
The thing Marvel have slowly learned is that you don't just throw characters into the mix for the sake of it. A character has to be part of the story, the story can't be made to accommodate the character otherwise it's just fan service.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:05 AM   #109
The Endless
WE are Groot

I wouldn't say it's fan service. I'm not really a big Hawkeye fan. It's in service of the world building and continuity they've created. Like i said, seems kind of strange there wasn't even an exchange of dialogue mentioning him. Like "can we trust Barton?" or something organic to what was going on.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #110
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

This isn't something I didn't like, because this movie was perfect in every way, but I thought it was funny that the title character has less screen time, less character development and less impact on the story than any of the other 7 or 8 main characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
The thing Marvel have slowly learned is that you don't just throw characters into the mix for the sake of it. A character has to be part of the story, the story can't be made to accommodate the character otherwise it's just fan service.
Uh, that's exactly what they did with Maria Hill though. You can't tell me she was relevant to the story in ANY way. Hawkeye however, is VERY relevant to the stories of the major characters, especially Black Widow.

Marvel hasn't "slowly learned" anything of the sort. Cobie Smulders was available, willing and within budget, and Jeremy Renner wasn't. It's that simple lol.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #111
Ryu_do_Sen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Why do people think Batroc was fighting evenly with Cap? To me it was pretty clear Batroc was trying his best and Rogers was comfortable and confident of the win.
I mean, first, Batroc takes three knee shots to the gut from cap and is left standing.....Next, he takes a kick to the head and gets up a bit a woozy.....And finally, after being rammed into a door and gettin' a straight punch, he goes down.....And after a while, he gets ups and runs off....

My general point is that cap's abilities in the MCU are not really clear....And this movie doesn't clear it up.......For instance, how can a guy who has difficulty, at the beggining of the movie, with a simple human (however well trained and conditioned he may be) can, at the end of the same movie, lift a huge metal beam that weighs tons?

Last edited by Ryu_do_Sen; 04-04-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Ryu_do_Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #112
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

I think the Fury chase went on a bit too long, and I wish there was more Cap fighting people on the Helicarriers.

I also wanted my dance damnit.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #113
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_do_Sen View Post
I mean, first, Batroc takes three knee shots to the gut from cap and is left standing.....Next, he takes a kick to the head and gets up a bit a woozy.....And finally, after a being rammed into a door and gettin' a staight punch, he goes down.....And after a while, he gets ups and runs off....

My general point is that cap's abilities in the MCU are not really clear....And this movie doesn't clear it up.......For instance, how can a guy who has difficulty, at the beggining of the movie, with a simple human (however well trained and conditioned he may be) can, at the end of the same movie, lift a huge metal beam that weighs tons?
My point is, i don't think Cap had any difficulty with Batroc. There was a swagger and confidence to him when he was fighting Batroc. Especially the last sequence when he took his helmet off. He was like a machine.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #114
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
As I wrote in my review, one of the weak points of the movie was Robert Redford's character. He lacks depth and he is poorly explained, he stops short of being a great villain. He's just some career bureaucrat who somehow became enamoured of Hydra and apparently became a leadership figure within Hydra. When he shoots his housekeeper, there's no shock, as everybody saw that coming.
I think Pierce was the head of SHIELD's Hydra division, his father was an American soldier in the 101 troops, he worked with Nick Fury and then realized America/SHIELD is too much of a wuss, so he went with Hydra.

Quote:
I've been putting some thought into it, and perhaps the plot change that would have been needed to make this a masterpiece would have been to remove all references to Hydra. Just have Redford be an American with a different vision of where America should proceed, tell the story from the vantage point of "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" rather than have Hydra as a virus that infects an otherwise innocent host.
But Pierce, Rumlow, Stern, Sitwell, they we're all Americans.

Quote:
The movie ends with everything cleaned up. Shield is closed. Hydra is wounded and in retreat. Everybody either finds a new job or gets to keep its old job. The US government is pure again as it locks up some criminals.
I don't know would i say Hydra is in retreat. Baron Von Strucker states that they will occupy Captain America's attention with Hydra/other Hydra Facilities as they focus on their main objective.

Tho i can agree with your US government part.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #115
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_do_Sen View Post
I mean, first, Batroc takes three knee shots to the gut from cap and is left standing.....Next, he takes a kick to the head and gets up a bit a woozy.....And finally, after being rammed into a door and gettin' a straight punch, he goes down.....And after a while, he gets ups and runs off....

Dude ... George st Pierre is a world champion fighter !

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #116
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
would this be a better movie if Nick Fury had stayed dead?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #117
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Former world champion. He retired, and recently destroyed his other knee while training.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #118
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Where was Coulson ?

There was unintentional comical moment when -

Pierce (Robert Redford's character) says "Hail Hydra" before dying.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-04-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #119
QBComics
Side-Kick

Honestly, I have very few complaints about this movie. My only two (as of first viewing) are nitpicks.

-Thought Modern Cap seeing skinny 1940s Cap on the training ground was a bit cheesy. I'm just not a fan of reusing old footage in general.

-Didn't like how quickly Rumlow and Falcon's fight was. Also thought the Falcon jumping into the helicopter was a bit over the top.

But again, nitpicks. Absolutely loved this film.

QBComics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #120
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Former world champion. He retired, and recently destroyed his other knee while training.
Cap must have busted the knee.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #121
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Two quibbles I had...

1. The fight scenes were definitely an improvement over most other comic book films and very intense but when it came to the editing it was a mixed bag. Sometimes they got it just right and sometimes the shaky cam and rapid fire editing made things a bit hard to see. Hopefully the Russo's clean that up next time around.

2. The Falcon's flight scenes moved way too fast and were a bit blurry to me at times.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #122
PunyGod
Side-Kick

Last edited by PunyGod; 04-17-2014 at 12:09 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #123
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Where was Coulson ?

There was unintentional comical moment when -

Pierce (Robert Redford's character) says "Hail Hydra" before dying.
Coulson was trapped on a plane that was being remotely redirected to the SHIELD Hub, where corrupt elements in SHIELD were waiting to kill his team. What happens after they land is still unknown, but we'll find out Tuesday.

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #124
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

The HUGE under-development for Bucky's character in general, took what could've been a 10/10 film to a 8/10 for me, Marvel strikes again at under-developing and forgetting it's villains.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #125
PunyGod
Side-Kick

Last edited by PunyGod; 04-17-2014 at 12:09 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote