The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #526
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Default Re: Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique: Oscar Winner Edition - Part 2

Lawrence's Mystique in DOFP looked really good in select scenes. The end scene outside the White House and the scene where she's infiltrating Trask's office and she's looking thru his files. It really was the lighting that sold the make up in those scenes.

In contrast, the scenes in Vietnam where she's freeing Havok et al and most other scenes (save for the above 2 mentioned) just looked like blue paint splattered over some woman. Was really that bad. Again, it was the lighting that ruined it.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #527
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

I actually agree with you on that one End. The lighting is also what made Mystique look the best in X2.

:o
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #528
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

The thing with X2 (and X-men and X3) though is that there were no scenes (that immediately springs to mind) where you go, ok that looks really bad. DOFP has a number of those.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #529
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Part of that is because the man who made the make-up process passed away. So he wasn't there to consult. But like someone else said the look of the make-up for FC it was a lot more true to the OT the only problem was the god awful wig and the lighting/coloring of the make-up.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #530
x-er
Side-Kick

Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique showed too much heart to become the original X1 & X2 Mystique. What do you guys think? Are they headed for a transition into an independent, murderous Mystique? A good-hearted but angry Mystique? Something else?

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #531
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

I believe she's no longer supposed to become the Mystique of X1 and X2 now that they changed the timeline.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #532
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-er View Post
Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique showed too much heart to become the original X1 & X2 Mystique. What do you guys think? Are they headed for a transition into an independent, murderous Mystique? A good-hearted but angry Mystique? Something else?
Well, it's plausible to think she would've become that Mystique had she killed Trask. Now I'm expecting her to be a very dangerous anti-hero-of-sorts... when not under the influence of Apocalypse of course!

The Original Bamfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #533
momochan
Lieutenant JG Newbie

Quote:
I'm glad that you raised that question, because I'd been wondering if they were trying to set up Mystique as leader of a third faction of of mutants - a faction that would try to be an alternative to Magneto's aggressiveness on the one hand and Xavier's pacifism on the other. Perhaps a faction that would be targeted, surgical, practical, and effective?
The only way I can see that working out is in the context of a spinoff movie, though. In a main trilogy movie, 3 factions would be too complicated.

Which also reminds me - did it seem to anyone else as though, when Xavier asks Logan "what's the last thing you remember?" - Xavier was trying to get some information that he could somehow pass back to Mystique so she could save him? I don't know how that would work but that's the feeling I got.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #534
x-er
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by momochan View Post
I'm glad that you raised that question, because I'd been wondering if they were trying to set up Mystique as leader of a third faction of of mutants - a faction that would try to be an alternative to Magneto's aggressiveness on the one hand and Xavier's pacifism on the other. Perhaps a faction that would be targeted, surgical, practical, and effective?
The only way I can see that working out is in the context of a spinoff movie, though. In a main trilogy movie, 3 factions would be too complicated.
That would be interesting.

Quote:
Which also reminds me - did it seem to anyone else as though, when Xavier asks Logan "what's the last thing you remember?" - Xavier was trying to get some information that he could somehow pass back to Mystique so she could save him? I don't know how that would work but that's the feeling I got.
I was wondering how they found him in the wash (was that a wash?).

Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #535
Krak66
Side-Kick

Dat ass
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Krak66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #536
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:

Sounds like your describing the Freedom Force that actually did happen in the comics.

Last edited by jaymes_e06; 08-22-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #537
momochan
Lieutenant JG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Sounds like your describing the Freedom Force that actually did happen in the comics.
Oh, cool - thanks! I don't know much about the comics but it sounds rich and varied. I wouldn't mind seeing a Mystique spinoff...

Quote:
I was wondering how they found him in the wash (was that a wash?).
Well, being in DC I believe that would have been the Potomac River.
I'm glad that she continued protecting saving mutants even after Charles convinced her not to go down the 'darker path'. Her good qualities continued.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #538
x-er
Side-Kick

there is one thing i do wonder about this character. I understand that Mystique becomes an exhibitionist between the 60s and the 70s as a way to show her true self, as opposed to Hank, who injects himself to suppress his powers. However, with Lawrence being more focused on acting and with the fact that time was altered in DOFP, do you think she will continue being an exhibitionist into the 80s? It does seem a bit odd for Lawrence

So... Naked Mystique or Clothed Mystique?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #539
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Lawrence knew what she was getting herself into.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #540
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:

Doubtful. I just think he was just curious about Wolverine's current memory.

Plus, why would Professor X need to send another message into the past? Whatever happened to Past Logan in the new timeline, it still resulted in Charles eventually tracking him down and him becoming a part of the X-Men.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #541
Krak66
Side-Kick

Krak66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #542
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
there is one thing i do wonder about this character. I understand that Mystique becomes an exhibitionist between the 60s and the 70s as a way to show her true self, as opposed to Hank, who injects himself to suppress his powers. However, with Lawrence being more focused on acting and with the fact that time was altered in DOFP, do you think she will continue being an exhibitionist into the 80s? It does seem a bit odd for Lawrence

Wow you really don't understand subtext if you think she is getting some kind of sexual gratification from being naked. No just no...

She is using her entire body as a bill board for mutant rights. She has made that pretty clear throughout the movies specifically XM:FC

Old 08-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #543
x-er
Side-Kick

I never meant she was doing it in a sexual way (although the audience does get sexual gratification). I meant the exact same thing you said!

I understand the subtleties of the character. I'm just approaching it from a more political angle. Say that Lawrence thinks it's degrading (which I don't know if she does). She could ask to be clothed (like in the comics!) or to be put in a uniform as part of a specific team.. do you think it would break the character? How much can time travel change in Mystique? Or any character?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #544
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:

Also the irony of this statement is not lost on me.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #545
jldevoy
New User - Level 0

Mystique has to remain naked, otherwise she just becomes different people..all wearing mystique's clothing.

jldevoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #546
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I wish they didn't use that shot of Mystique in a leather trenchcoat-looking jacket shapeshifthing into Stryker Sr. NOT "in a leather trenchcoat-looking jacket"

Of all the shots they could've used for Mystique they used the one with the continuity error.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #547
nycgirl
Newbie First Class

That's crossed my mind, but there's a possible explanation. Mystique walks into the CIA headquarters naked but shape-shifted to look like a normal girl wearing clothes. Maybe she tossed the badge they gave her, so the badge you see is part of her disguise, too. Then she shape-shifts into Stryker, complete with clothes and badge. Next, she shape-shifts into her original self, but makes herself appear to be wearing clothes, since at this point she's not comfortable with being naked in front of everyone. It's a bit of a stretch, but you could buy it if you were feeling charitable.

There is a definite error toward the end of FC, though, when she is shown wearing the yellow and blue uniform but shape-shifting into Shaw. Xavier mentions that the uniforms were designed to offer some protection in combat, so it would make no sense for her to be naked and only pretending to wear the uniform. I can't come up with a reasonable explanation for how she was able to impersonate Shaw, clothing and all. Oh well.

nycgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #548
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

It's not a bit of a stretch. It's what happened. Just because she appears to be naked after her "transformation" doesn't mean she ever wore actual clothing before that. She can morph back to her original, blue self and still add on synthetic wear. Just look at her with the bathrobe in the cure scene with Hank; she shifts between being blue and "normal" Raven, but her robe is there the entire time, even getting a scale effect during the shifts. It was never really there, or, at least not on her. Speaking of the robe, I still can't why she didn't just create one (aside from aiding the subplot) when she asked Erik for her robe in his bedroom. Chalk it up to being a flustered teenager! But mainly an aid to the plot...

When it comes to her impersonating Shaw, the only explanation I can come up with is that she stripped off the suit (I hope Moira watched!) soon after the battle commenced. This would also explain why she didn't go flying when Beast, Banshee and Havok were magnetically thrown after approaching the injured Charles. But one could argue Magneto just didn't want to send her flying? Either way, it neither confirms or disproves the already highly-logical strip theory.

Last edited by The Original Bamfer; 09-04-2014 at 01:52 PM.
The Original Bamfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #549
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
It's not a bit of a stretch. It's what happened. Just because she appears to be naked after her "transformation" doesn't mean she ever wore actual clothing before that.
I'm not sure I'm getting what you're saying, you're actually proposing she was naked at the beginning of the movie?

Considering it was a big deal for her to strip down and there was a scene where Erik tells her that stupid line about covering up tigers, not sure your theory works.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #550
Super Film
Side-Kick

It's interesting to see just how much the jumpsuit and scales were changed in post.

Super Film is offline   Reply With Quote