The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #751
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman! - - - Part 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvS117 View Post
Henry Cavill was only 190 for his shirtless scenes in MoS.
Much lower body fat and 3 inches shorter.

I think I'm most annoyed with those of you who think that Mark Twight could make Michael Cera look like Hugh Jackman with 6 months of training.

It's not how things work. Start lifting and find out for yourself. Progress takes a lot of time, and a lot of people can never gain much mass.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #752
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Reeve was ~220 lbs when he played Superman.

If someone like Orlando Bloom were cast to play Superman or Michael Cera as Aquaman or Zac Efron as Darkseid you would all complain, I'm sure.
I think what Krypton was getting at is how people might have reacted upon initially hearing the news that someone like Reeve was cast. When the late actor landed the part, he was only 185 lbs, and a self-described stringbean.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #753
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
I think what Krypton was getting at is how people might have reacted upon initially hearing the news that someone like Reeve was cast. When the late actor landed the part, he was only 185 lbs, and a self-described stringbean.
Right, but it's a poor analogy because it was obviously possible for Reeve to get substantially bigger. In that case those people would have simply been wrong.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #754
BvS117
Side-Kick

Quote:

I think I'm most annoyed with those of you who think that Mark Twight could make Michael Cera look like Hugh Jackman with 6 months of training.

It's not how things work. Start lifting and find out for yourself. Progress takes a lot of time, and a lot of people can never gain much mass.
Yeah I have no idea what the topic is about right now I just saw your post about Reeve's weight and wanted to throw in some of that trivia about Cavill.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 AM   #755
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Yep.

I also want to add that I don't feel that Gal has to become Sophie Arvebrink to be good or convincing as WW. Quite frankly... I am far more interested in what sort of fight choreography training she's doing than I am in her weight lifting or what have you. How she moves in a fight sequence as the Amazon's Ambassador of Peace and also it's ultimate Mistress of War just seems more important to me than the size of her quads and lats ect.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:04 AM   #756
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

So this is Gal, our wonderful WW.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 04-26-2014, 05:09 AM   #757
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I have to ask those in the know... How does a pre-cast Gal compare body wise, height, weight, general frame, ect. to the classic Lynda Carter when she was actually playing WW? Is there some Battle of the Network Stars type statistics that can help us out here?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:30 AM   #758
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
So this is Gal, our wonderful WW.

Love that pic.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #759
teagone
Countryside General

Quote:

Still fighting the good fight I see. Even after a handful of your posts are deleted. Also, I wouldn't want Gal to look like Hugh Jackman. That would be straight up weird.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:01 AM   #760
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
Right, but it's a poor analogy because it was obviously possible for Reeve to get substantially bigger. In that case those people would have simply been wrong.
reeve had to work his ass off though. if the man was 185 when cast, at 6'4, that's not that different from gadot.

i remember reading they passed on reeve initially because he was too skinny.

@1:28

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #761
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagone View Post
Honestly, the issue is we already know Gal is putting in the work for the role so why post up images of some physically fit female and say "Gal will never achieve this" or "this is what Gal should end up looking like." It leads to a roundabout discussion with very little substance and not much to debate. We're not fortunate enough to get up-to-date information regarding the status of Gal's bicep size, so why even bother trying to stir up a pointless discussion about physical appearance when the information we do have is pretty finite?

Quote:
Still fighting the good fight I see. Even after a handful of your posts are deleted. Also, I wouldn't want Gal to look like Hugh Jackman. That would be straight up weird.
This. The problem with these "comparison" posts is that they often just go off on a tangent and there's a whole discussion about Jackman, Reeve or Cavill and their training with everyone debating about what they did, and if you really search for it, you might find Gal's name squeezed in there somewhere, but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

If I come into this thread, I don't want to read pages about someone else and see dozens pics of people who aren't even Gal.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #762
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
If I come into this thread, I don't want to read pages about someone else and see dozens pics of people who aren't even Gal.
Agreed. This is the shrine of Gal. I have done my bit with that pic above.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #763
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
This. The problem with these "comparison" posts is that they often just go off on a tangent and there's a whole discussion about Jackman, Reeve or Cavill and their training with everyone debating about what they did, and if you really search for it, you might find Gal's name squeezed in there somewhere, but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

I agree the context is often forgotten.

The comparison between Cera and Jackman was brought in to illustrate the limits of what training can do. More recently, mark twight acknowledged that sullivan Stapleton could not achieve the same results as gerard butler in spite of a similar regimen, for the 300 sequel. Twight will improve Gadot's physique a little bit, of course, but Snyder and co will have to work around.

Gal Gadot might very well be graceful, emotive, articulate, or nimble on screen. We'll see. But she will never look powerful in some of the suits suggested by the manips, which expose her thighs, chest, back, shoulders, and upper arms. That can work if she is on a date with Steve Trevor, not in a warrior outfit.

I expect her outfit to have her mostly covered up, though admittedly it is likely that Snyder would have selected such an outfit regardless, as that's been his style.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #764
regwec
Shakespearo

Oh, for a Wonder Woman thread which was not primarily expressed in "lbs", inches, and "BMI".

Quote:
Why even argue about Gal's physical appearance at this point? It's a dumb discussion to argue for because 1. Gal has been cast in the role for months now and 2. she's putting in the work to size up. Get over body-shaming her already with random photos saying their bodies are better than Gal's, that **** is getting old as hell.
Quote:
Honestly, the issue is we already know Gal is putting in the work for the role so why post up images of some physically fit female and say "Gal will never achieve this" or "this is what Gal should end up looking like." It leads to a roundabout discussion with very little substance and not much to debate. We're not fortunate enough to get up-to-date information regarding the status of Gal's bicep size, so why even bother trying to stir up a pointless discussion about physical appearance when the information we do have is pretty finite?
x2

Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #765
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Oh, for a Wonder Woman thread which was not primarily expressed in "lbs", inches, and BMI
Ok, let's not discuss an actor's physique in their thread.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #766
teagone
Countryside General

Quote:
Twight will improve Gadot's physique a little bit, of course, but Snyder and co will have to work around.
Fact?

Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #767
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Or opinion based on probability?

Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #768
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Smile Re: Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman! - - - Part 12

Quote:
I agree the context is often forgotten.

The comparison between Cera and Jackman was brought in to illustrate the limits of what training can do. More recently, mark twight acknowledged that sullivan Stapleton could not achieve the same results as gerard butler in spite of a similar regimen, for the 300 sequel. Twight will improve Gadot's physique a little bit, of course, but Snyder and co will have to work around.

Gal Gadot might very well be graceful, emotive, articulate, or nimble on screen. We'll see. But she will never look powerful in some of the suits suggested by the manips, which expose her thighs, chest, back, shoulders, and upper arms. That can work if she is on a date with Steve Trevor, not in a warrior outfit.

I expect her outfit to have her mostly covered up, though admittedly it is likely that Snyder would have selected such an outfit regardless, as that's been his style.
Have to agree with most of this. Its not necessarily a bad thing per se, its simply a recognition that Gal's most likely only going to be able to achieve a certain level of aesthetic shape. Its a significant part of the role, granted, but I think that Gal's got enough about her overall to ensure that we won't notice it too much.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #769
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.

Yeah, Snyder cast Gadot because he knew she wouldn't look good enough and he would have to put extra effort to make her look passable... sounds reasonable.

"Physical barriers are no match for those we place on our own minds."
Old 04-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #770
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
Yeah, Snyder cast Gadot because he knew she wouldn't look good enough and he would have to put extra effort to make her look passable... sounds reasonable.
Either that or she was the best option available in a world where no perfect option is ever available.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #771
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Ah, modern science:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-a-list-609091

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...llywood-201203

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...-of-hollywood/

(and no i dont think Ms. Gadot in particular is using steroids or hgh. If Snyder wanted a ripped Wondie, he wouldnt have hired a skinny model with upper arms the diameter of a pencil)

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 04-26-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #772
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
Yeah, Snyder cast Gadot because he knew she wouldn't look good enough and he would have to put extra effort to make her look passable..sounds reasonable.
Let's face it, he could've cast a fitness model which looks exactly like WW but cannot act worth a damn, an unknown actress who looks like WW but can't act worth a damn or whatever. He hasnt done any of that though as hes chosen to cast Gadot as he obviously thinks she has the ability to play WW well, the only downside is that although she's exotic, beautiful and tall (perfect for WW), she's naturally on the slim side and the likelihood that she's going to make really significant gains is remote so its a trade off - aesthetics vs acting ability. Snyder's gone for acting ability and now the task is to make Gal look as close to WW as she possibly can be. That's were we're at now.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #773
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

i remember getting into arguments with joeyjojo about elizaeth debicki; he'd say there's no way in hell they'd choose a beanpole for the role.

good times.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #774
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I overestimated Zack Snyder lol. For the first and probably last time. So touche.

That said, theres tall (5'10") and then there's too damn tall (6'3"). But I concede completely that Ms. Debicki is certainly the superior actress. A very good actress in fact. Her roles are limited by her height and build, not her talent.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 04-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #775
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
i remember getting into arguments with joeyjojo about elizaeth debicki; he'd say there's no way in hell they'd choose a beanpole for the role.

good times.
Debicki would have been my pick also. C'est la vie.