The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 68

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - Part 67

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
G.Godfrey
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Sure, 51% likes this film it's still the majority, but it's still a large percentage that don't, adding the low critical reception on the other hand, it's still extremely mixed. You can't really pick and choose what scores to listen to and make it some sweeping general statement. Even if the large majority of audiences loved it and most critics hated it, that would still be an overall mixed reaction, regardless of which side you listen to the most. Who cares? People liked it, some people don't. I just take issue towards those that honest to god ignore the fact that A LOT of people really don't like this film.
I'm not doing that. I count in ALL the audience scores because I thought the debate was about the GA reception. Now to the second bolded section of your post, sure if you count in the critics reaction it starts to slide into the mixed area (critics reception WAS mixed, I am not arguing that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I just take issue towards those that honest to god ignore the fact that A LOT of people really don't like this film.
I guess we're on the opposite ends of the spectrum then because I take issue with the fact that some ignore A LOT of people really liked/loved it. :woot:

Zod I really truly hope BvS is a marked improvement over MOS so that such discussions are not needed. Though the critical reaction will be mixed no matter what, I'd bet my house on that.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - Part 69

I agree about your point Zryson, Bendis made a stance about it in ultimate spiderman, and it would be hard to argue against that.

That said, I'm more than willing to give them a pass. I thing the secret identity, as unbelievable as it can be, is really important in the comic lore. Suspension of diseblief is important in that instance.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
Damian Wayne
Newbie First Class

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - Part 69

some liked mos, some didn't, who cares. it's my favorite superhero film by far which is why i'm here now. if you didn't like mos, chances are you aren't going to enjoy bvs either, seeing as it's being brought to you by the same director. save yourself the grief and worry and get on the star wars or avengers train.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
I'm not doing that. I count in ALL the audience scores because I thought the debate was about the GA reception. Now to the second bolded section of your post, sure if you count in the critics reaction it starts to slide into the mixed area (critics reception WAS mixed, I am not arguing that).

I guess we're on the opposite ends of the spectrum then because I take issue with the fact that some ignore A LOT of people really liked/loved it.

Zod I really truly hope BvS is a marked improvement over MOS so that such discussions are not needed. Though the critical reaction will be mixed no matter what, I'd bet my house on that.
When it comes to Batman v Superman, I think there will be quite a lot of things which will be discussed; everything from box office to the new interpretations, etc. It happens with every movie and many people, fans/critics as well as those within the industry will be watching closely to see how the movie fares.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
G.Godfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
When it comes to Batman v Superman, I think there will be quite a lot of things which will be discussed; everything from box office to the new interpretations, etc. It happens with every movie and many people, fans/critics as well as those within the industry will be watching closely to see how the movie fares.
What I'm curious most about is how the critics and the audiences alike respond to Snyder's Batman interpretation. Assuming that it's as comic-book faithful and ''badass'' as many are hoping it will be, I wonder how people will respond to that, given all the love that Nolan's Batman receives, who to me was (post BB) very much removed visually/performance/and much of the characterization wise, from the Batman that I know and I love in the CB canon.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

People are now saying that they want a badass Batman the same way they spent four years saying they want a Superman who punches things.

They don't really. What people want is a good story.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
People are now saying that they want a badass Batman the same way they spent four years saying they want a Superman who punches things.

People don't know what they want.

They are the the figurative dogs chasing cars that Joker spoke about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
To me, Man of Steel just felt to me like Snyder and Goyer tried to make Superman look less, and simple next to Batman, like yeah Superman is good, he's cool, but not as interesting as Batman.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Godfrey has a piont
MOS had a mixed reaction from Critics and Fanboys
MOS had a overtly positive reaction from The General audience however.And they are the ones who count so thats why MOS is a success.

Haters like to pretend it was mixed all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
What I'm curious most about is how the critics and the audiences alike respond to Snyder's Batman interpretation. Assuming that it's as comic-book faithful and ''badass'' as many are hoping it will be, I wonder how people will respond to that, given all the love that Nolan's Batman receives, who to me was (post BB) very much removed visually/performance/and much of the characterization wise, from the Batman that I know and I love in the CB canon.
Interesting piont

Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 AM   #11
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Wayne View Post
some liked mos, some didn't, who cares. it's my favorite superhero film by far which is why i'm here now. if you didn't like mos, chances are you aren't going to enjoy bvs either, seeing as it's being brought to you by the same director. save yourself the grief and worry and get on the star wars or avengers train.
Based Ben is giving me some hope for this film. Goyer's gone, Snyder brought back Larry Fong too. Provided he gets some new editors BVS could be much better.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #12
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Based Ben is giving me some hope for this film. Goyer's gone, Snyder brought back Larry Fong too. Provided he gets some new editors BVS could be much better.
Goyers not gone.Hes wrote the script

Old 06-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #13
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

Saying it enough times makes it true?

Quote:
To me, Man of Steel just felt to me like Snyder and Goyer tried to make Superman look less, and simple next to Batman, like yeah Superman is good, he's cool, but not as interesting as Batman.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #14
bluerayer
Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Goyer's gone? Since when?

Edit: Just saw Zionites post.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=270244
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #15
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Since I told him to go. That brat wouldn't listen, I had to show him my strength.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #16
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

It's been confirmed multiple times that Chris Terrio has completely re-written the script.

Goyer is on ... as an adviser now.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #17
hafizbat
Side-Kick

The new Transformers movie has an abysmal 18% on RT...and it still has a 75% user approval rating. So I don't think MoS' user 76% user rating (which is touted all the time here) is something to feel really proud of...Thor TDW has a 79% user rating and it sucked balls.

It's amusing to see people say "The GA loved MoS! It had a 76% user rating!"

Old 06-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #18
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Goyer's not a total crap factory. I like some of his writing, so I'm glad he's still there in some capacity.

\S/T*
Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #19
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I thought Terrio did minor rewrites? Who is lying?

Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #20
D.P.
Dead Presidents.

Quote:
It's been confirmed multiple times that Chris Terrio has completely re-written the script.

Goyer is on ... as an adviser now.
lolwut.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #21
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
I thought Terrio did minor rewrites? Who is lying?
Would WB be crediting him as primary screenwriter for "minor rewrites"?

No.

They're clear, he's always the first name listed as screenwriter, and the most recent release said:

"Written by Chris Terrio from a screenplay by David Goyer".

Which means that David Goyer wrote a screenplay, and then Chris Terrio wrote a different screenplay.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #22
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
The new Transformers movie has an abysmal 18% on RT...and it still has a 75% user approval rating. So I don't think MoS' user 76% user rating (which is touted all the time here) is something to feel really proud of...Thor TDW has a 79% user rating and it sucked balls.

It's amusing to see people say "The GA loved MoS! It had a 76% user rating!"
These user ratings are completely useless.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #23
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I swear, If I catch the dude who lied to me....

Than you for the explanation DA.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #24
G.Godfrey

Quote:

With a badass Batman in it.

For me, I'm a fan of these characters because of how they are represented in their ''home environment'' or source material if you will. And while it goes without saying that in their cinematic incarnations I expect a good story and a well made film, I also expect the filmmakers to adhere to and recreate the world and visual aspects of these characters, because they hail from a very visual world and it's as much apart of them as their characterization.

So when I see a Batman film where Gotham has zero identity or uniqueness to it and pretty much looks like what it was shot in - a ''normal'' American city, where Batman speaks with a ridiculous ''voice'' and an occasional lisp which prompts laughter from the people in the theaters and where he looks like a member of SWAT rather than a giant creature of the night, etc etc, I have a problem with that (and that's not even me touching the basic failures of characterization, right down to the bare core aspects of Batman).

So if the movie is great I will have a love-hate relationship with it. Because it's supposed to be Batman (or insert any character name there) movie not a generic crime-drama or generic whatever type of genre the character in question would fit to.*

So yeah, I know what I want.

I also know I represent a very, very small % of people who feel the similarly or the same - the fans. Those things don't matter to majority of the GA or the critics, though if they were present in certain films it would only make the films in question better, without the GA even realizing it.

Perhaps I'm lucky that a fellow fan is directing Batman v Superman and indeed the JL.

*IMO MOS was in a lot of ways the opposite. It did capture a lot of that but it failed to present it in the context of a good, well paced story with sharp dialogue and good characterizations with adequate development to core characters. And that's equally ''bad'' or rather worse. I hope that BvS brings the best of both worlds.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #25
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

From the source

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/05...ce-from-warner
Quote:
Filming is underway on Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” the highly anticipated action adventure from director Zack Snyder, starring Henry Cavill in the role of Clark Kent/Superman, and Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” also stars Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, with Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane returning from “Man of Steel,” Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred, and Holly Hunter in a role newly created for the film.

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” is written by Chris Terrio, from a screenplay by David S. Goyer. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Wesley Coller, David S. Goyer and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.

Principal photography will take place on location at Michigan Motion Picture Studios and on location in and around Detroit, Michigan; Illinois; Africa; and the South Pacific.

Set to open worldwide on May 6, 2016, “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, Batman characters created by Bob Kane, and Wonder Woman created by William Moulton Marston, appearing in comic books published by DC Entertainment.

Closed Thread