The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Was it too soon to remove SHIELD from the MCU?
Yes, it needed more establishing time 3 17.65%
Don't care, viva la revolution! 10 58.82%
No, SHIELD had gone as far as it could go 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
hoy-small-fry
No strings on me...

Spoiler Shield, [spoilers]

Spoilers ahoy, so you know, go watch Winter Soldier first...

First off, I loved the SHIELD/HYDRA twist in TWS - it paid off a huge plot point from Cap 1, and reintroduced a serious threat to the heroes, so thumbs up for that.

But does anyone else think it was a little too soon in the grand scheme of things? I mean, we've had 2, maybe 3 establishing movies regarding SHIELD (IM2, Avengers and Cap 1 potentially), and while Agents of SHIELD is giving us a glimpse of little SHIELD, we never really got to know what the agency did and did not do. With it now in shambles (presumably with a view to return), is it just me who thinks the fall of SHIELD could have done with a bigger build-up?

It reminds me a lot of Malekith in The Dark World - he's allegedly this huge threat, but he's dealt with straight away. In terms of SHIELD, they're a huge organisation but 4 hours after first seeing them, bam, down comes their HQ...

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
Panther X
Side-Kick

Default Re: SHIELD, we hardly knew ye [SPOILERS]

SHIELD has had a pressence in every MCU film up to now (big or small). Part of the interest behind SHIELD is there mystery, so I think it's worked out well they haven't explored them anymore than they need to.

Also, your thread title is still kind of spoilery..

Panther X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
seishin87
Side-Kick

I was actually going to vote no, then decided on Don't care, not because I don't care and I didn't want to vote no because I'm tired of SHIELD or anything it's just that what happens in TWS is typical comicbook storytelling. I can't remember how many times there's been status quo altering or changing events in the comics that destroy groups, institutions, organizations, and kill characters, heroes and villains only to eventually setting things right.

My honest opinion, SHIELD will be back in some form eventually. It may evolve and change but sooner or later, possibly sooner we'll see them back. Maybe more scaled back, maybe something like a SHIELD team lead by Nick Fury based out of a helicarrier rather than a global big brother type organization.

seishin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
eddy
Side-Kick

Haven't read your post yet and saw the film last night but why put a spoiler in your title and then write spoilers? The title itself is a spoiler.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Don't care.

SHIELD will be back.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
drod1985
Side-Kick

SHIELD as we knew it in the MCU served their purpose, they brought the main Avengers together.

After the events of TWS I'm down for no-SHIELD at all, or a very under-dog version of SHIELD consisting of the remaining good agents and Coulson's team.

drod1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
SpocksBrain
Internet Geek

What the Hell!? The title of this thread is a major spoiler!

Anyone with half a brain understands what the phrase "we hardly knew ye" implies. Please change the thread title.

SpocksBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
hoy-small-fry
No strings on me...

I would, but I can't find how

Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
eddy
Side-Kick

Send a pm to the mods.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
hoy-small-fry
No strings on me...

Will do. REALLY REALLY sorry if I ruined anything, feeling pretty bad

Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Silvermoth
Avenger

Default Re: Shield, [spoilers]

I thought it was a really interesting idea and I'm excited to see what will happen with it

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

I've been getting tired of SHIELD for quite some time, so I'm really happy to see it go.
There's still a lot of untapped potential, but SHIELD was slowly overpowering the MCU and starting to give the whole universe more of a Men In Black feel and less that of a world of superheroes. The post-credits scene really helped give me confidence that this is going to be good for the MCU, since not having to wonder what SHIELD is doing while super humans are punching each other through buildings is going to free up screen time to introduce more of the crazier aspects of the Marvel universe.

I don't believe for a second that SHIELD is gone for good, but I think a break is going to be really healthy.

Zaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Wait. Is SHIELD done, or is their headquarters just gone right now? ...

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Wait. Is SHIELD done, or is their headquarters just gone right now? ...
It's about as destroyed as it can possibly get. That doesn't mean it can't be rebuilt, but it's gone at least for now.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther X View Post
SHIELD has had a pressence in every MCU film up to now (big or small). Part of the interest behind SHIELD is there mystery, so I think it's worked out well they haven't explored them anymore than they need to.

Also, your thread title is still kind of spoilery..
Barely any presence in Ironman 1. Zero presence in Hulk, Thor 2 and Iron Man 3. There was a lot more that could have been done with shield

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

I doubt SHIELD is over and done with. Captain America and co. dealt them a huge blow, no doubt, but they're an international intelligence agency funded by all of the major world powers with bases and personnel in probably two thirds of the countries on Earth. They're weakened, but I doubt they're over.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I doubt SHIELD is over and done with. Captain America and co. dealt them a huge blow, no doubt, but they're an international intelligence agency funded by all of the major world powers with bases and personnel in probably two thirds of the countries on Earth. They're weakened, but I doubt they're over.
^ My comment doesn't' really have anything to do you yours i just wanted to say it.

I remember trying to explain to people that Shield was some what like a secret UN council backed NATO like orgianiztion that has JSOC, CIA, FBI, and Interpol like function that also has global jurisdiction. No one would except that explanation. Now that looks like this movie proved me right.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #18
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

SHIELD as we know it is gone, but there's still remnants of agents around the world, both SHIELD and HYDRA, and I think the storyline will be dealing with Fury and other heroes trying to wipe out the remaining HYDRA or at least cripple it severely. I believe SHIELD will eventually return, once it has been cleansed completely, because it is still an important organization and Marvel will want to bring it back in the future.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
Zaron
nerdy nerd dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
SHIELD as we know it is gone, but there's still remnants of agents around the world, both SHIELD and HYDRA, and I think the storyline will be dealing with Fury and other heroes trying to wipe out the remaining HYDRA or at least cripple it severely. I believe SHIELD will eventually return, once it has been cleansed completely, because it is still an important organization and Marvel will want to bring it back in the future.
I think SHIELD is exactly as dead as Nick Fury was. Which is to say close enough to remove them from the picture for a while, but not completely.