The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #51
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 3

I'm not hoping TASM2 to suck, but just watching the trailers, I don't find it really exciting and sometimes, the trailer gives me a vibe whether the movie will be good or not and when I watched the trailers for TASM2, I didn't think it would be very a good movie.

I also think this will help DOFP. Well Cap 2 already raised the bar pretty high, like seriously 89% in RT??? Thats higher than the RT ratings of all X-Men movies. With Simon Kinberg onboard as a writer, I'm not sure if the critics will love the script of DOFP. But I'd rather want DOFP to be 2nd place in RT ratings than be 3rd or last. The Wolverine had higher RT ratings than The Dark World/Man of Steel and First Class was the best reviewed CBM of 2011.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #52
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 3

Having seen the footage from Wondercon, I have to say that Godzilla is going to be something special. DOFP is in for a fight.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #53
def28
Side-Kick

Godzilla owned at Wondercon no question about that. I'm confident DOFP will be able to hold it's weight opening weekend though.

Last edited by def28; 04-20-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:38 AM   #54
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Having seen the footage from Wondercon, I have to say that Godzilla is going to be something special. DOFP is in for a fight.
I honestly can't see the appeal of Godzilla. It's just a case of 'monster arrives, knocks down skyscrapers, mankind tries weapons that don't work'.

We saw it all in Pacific Rim, and even in the previous Godzilla movie. It could turn out to be just a 'fanboy movie' or it could be a Transformers where people love to see stuff blow up.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #55
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I honestly can't see the appeal of Godzilla. It's just a case of 'monster arrives, knocks down skyscrapers, mankind tries weapons that don't work'.

We saw it all in Pacific Rim, and even in the previous Godzilla movie. It could turn out to be just a 'fanboy movie' or it could be a Transformers where people love to see stuff blow up.
Godzilla seems to be going for a more serious tone than either Pacific Rim or GINO, which are styled more like your standard light-hearted popcorn summer blockbuster. It's like the difference between Gundam and Gurren Lagann.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #56
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

It could be a critically acclaimed disaster movie. But as far as box-office is concern, its gonna be sandwiched by two superhero films from two established franchises, Spider-Man and the X-Men.

At best, I see it having the same box-office success with World War Z.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #57
Sithborg
Side-Kick

And Godzilla isn't an established franchise? Especially since this one is shaping up to be something special.

I'm sure both will do fine at the box office. But I really wouldn't discount Godzilla. I know my friends and family seem to know about and are interested in Godzilla more than X-men.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #58
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
And Godzilla isn't an established franchise?
Nah, it's only been around since the 50's and had over 30 flicks. Nobody really knows the name. Only fanboys

But seriously, if the film plays like the 5 min clip does it's gonna be huge. No reason to underestimate that thing with the marketing and footage going around. WB have a very exciting and mysterious campaign with a well known property attached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
A I'm sure both will do fine at the box office.
Agreed

X-Men has a lock for it's audience imo so theres no reason for X fans to worry even if Godzilla is a big hit opening week. Quality will probably come down to it, so hope both are great!

Last edited by def28; 04-21-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #59
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Godzilla is definitely not an established franchise in the U.S. market or if "established" is not the right word, then its not as well tested as Spidey and X-Men.

Godzilla movies are probably a hit in Japan, but in the U.S. no.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #60
def28
Side-Kick

Godzilla is very much an established franchise all over the world, and been so for quite some time.

Is it as popular as these other franchises at the moment? No way. But that can change with this film if it's as good an epic as it looks.

Last edited by def28; 04-21-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #61
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

But not as huge as Spider-Man/X-Men.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #62
Sithborg
Side-Kick

Feel free to dismiss Godzilla as being able to bring the money.

Just remember, while it wasn't the top grosser of 1998, it still had the top opening weekend. In the year with Armageddon, Saving Private Ryan, The X-files, Deep Impact, Mask of Zorro, Mulan, and Star Trek: Insurrection. And if the quality is anywhere close to what we've seen, then the new movie will have legs.

But, I'm not concerned, as I'm confident that DOFP will do just fine. It just has to earn that Memorial Day #1.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #63
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

And remember, X-Men wasn't the top grosser of 2000 and yet it was seen as a huge success.

In my opinion, there's a lot of strong marketing points to DOFP than Godzilla. With Days of Future Past, you have a bigger cast, characters that people are actually familiar with and its one of the most hyped films of the year.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #64
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

I'm sure DoFP will be fine, but I personally will not underestimate Godzilla. At work I hear people talking about it quite a bit. Sure that's a very small sampling, but still.

Malefecent is another one.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #65
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

Oh hell, even my mother wants to see Godzilla.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #66
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Godzilla is definitely not an established franchise in the U.S. market or if "established" is not the right word, then its not as well tested as Spidey and X-Men.

Godzilla movies are probably a hit in Japan, but in the U.S. no.
Omg, what is going on in this thread?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #67
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I read some of those comments and was at a loss for words.

I think both films are going to do well. I'm not saying Godzilla will make more money than X-men at the BO when all is said and done, but people shouldn't be surprised if it does.

Hahaha, also in regards to Godzilla not being an established franchise in the States...

Last time I checked Godzilla had a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. I don't recall any X-men characters getting one of those in the past.

Besides, most big budget summer films tend to be front loaded. Godzilla will most likely make a ton of money opening weekend but I'm sure that next weekend X-men will take the #1 spot. Either way, I don't see X-men bombing.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #68
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
I know right? There's clearly a very strong bias running rampant not in this thread but in the entire forum and I'm the biggest X-movie fan.

To say that Godzilla or even Maleficent won't put up a fight against DOFP at the box office is foolish and will only lead to disappointment.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #69
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh hell, even my mother wants to see Godzilla.
Count me as another who wants to see Godzilla.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #70
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I know right? There's clearly a very strong bias running rampant not in this thread but in the entire forum and I'm the biggest X-movie fan.

To say that Godzilla or even Maleficent won't put up a fight against DOFP at the box office is foolish and will only lead to disappointment.
those who think Maleficent wont be competitive against The X-Men are fooling themselves .

Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #71
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I hope both Godzilla and Maleficent underperform.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #72
Rike
Something strange here?

I don't care for Maleficent, now Godzilla...

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #73
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Boxoffice.com thinks DOFP will outgross maleficent

back In december the first teaser for godzilla had people in my theatre laughing when they realized it was for godzilla. Meanwhile when seeing captain America reaction to maleficent was tempid compared to strong reaction to dawn of
planet of the apes.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #74
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Hahaha, also in regards to Godzilla not being an established franchise in the States...
Because its not. I looked at BoxOfficeMojo and the only Godzilla film that grossed over $10 million at the box-office was the 1998 Godzilla film and that was seen as a disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
those who think Maleficent wont be competitive against The X-Men are fooling themselves .
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I know right? There's clearly a very strong bias running rampant not in this thread but in the entire forum and I'm the biggest X-movie fan. To say that Godzilla or even Maleficent won't put up a fight against DOFP at the box office is foolish and will only lead to disappointment.
Its called having an opinion. No one is telling you, you are fooling yourself or you are bias or giving you the face palm when people disagree with you. So please act civil.

"'Nuff said" - SM3

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-21-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #75
Sithborg
Side-Kick

We will see. Personally, the Godzilla marketing has been amazing. One of the best campaigns I've every seen. My cousin, who I doubt has seen a Godzilla movie outside the American one, commented on how she saw the trailer, was interested. I will take the Godzilla Snickers commercial over the Carl's Jr commercials.

And really, if the quality of the movie is anywhere close to what I've seen, X-men does have a fight. A good film will can easily challenge at the box office.

Closed Thread