The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 05-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Default I expect more character drama this time

The first Avengers movie was a perfect popcorn ride and I consider it as being the TRUE "Iron Man 3" we never get.

Now I think people are expecting a deeper Avengers movie with some intense drama thrown into it and more character development.

Or are they gonna go the Shane Blacks "Iron Man 3" path, humor, humor, humor, explosions? Hopefully not.

Supperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
starkresilient
Side-Kick

Default Re: I expect more character drama this time

iron man 3 was great so I don't agree with you and it is just your opinion

joss whedon said it'll be more grown up and other cast members also said it

Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
TheFirstAvenger
Marvel/Dc fan

After TWS they have no choices but to up the drama.

TheFirstAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkresilient View Post
iron man 3 was great so I don't agree with you and it is just your opinion

joss whedon said it'll be more grown up and other cast members also said it
Iron Man 3 was a good movie, but they just dismantled the whole Iron Man mythology for the sake of it. Remote-controlled Iron Man is a terrible concept which destroys the character. Also, I was expecting a big Iron Man fight at the very end, and all we get is Tony switching from an armour to another without having any consistent battle.
It was a Tony Stark movie with little respect towards the whole Iron Man concept.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
The Endless
WE are Groot

Iron Man 3 was great. And it didn't disrespect or insult anyone. It was a pretty thoughtful character study of Tony Stark, who was suffering from PTSD after the events of Avengers.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperhero View Post
The first Avengers movie was a perfect popcorn ride and I consider it as being the TRUE "Iron Man 3" we never get.

Now I think people are expecting a deeper Avengers movie with some intense drama thrown into it and more character development.

Or are they gonna go the Shane Blacks "Iron Man 3" path, humor, humor, humor, explosions? Hopefully not.
Agree on the opinion of Regular Man: The Movie Lethal Downey Iron Man 3. I think it should be a lot like:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

This describes the perfect tone and feel of how it should go.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Iron Man 3 was great. And it didn't disrespect or insult anyone. It was a pretty thoughtful character study of Tony Stark, who was suffering from PTSD after the events of Avengers.
I'm 100% fine with the study and indeed praised the movie for this.
BUT They should have respected the "Iron Man concept" a bit more. Iron Man is Tony Stark risking his life in the suit and battling enemies with his suit combined with his mind.
Iron Man is not a cameo or a remote-controlled toy.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I like Iron Man 3 and I think its an interesting character study with some fun/clever ideas, even though I still prefer Jon Favreau's classic version best.

The whole point of IM3 was to get away from Tony being Iron Man in every action sequence. It proved that even without being in his armor he was a heroic person. It also was a great way to show that hes not perfect but could use his intellect to survive. They couldve done the traditional IM with him fighting in the suit against villains in every scene and winning, but SB chose to mess with expectations and do something outside the box.

The Avengers is its own thing. Joss did a superb job bringing them all together while adding moments of tension, danger, humor etc. With AOU the ball is already rolling and itll be about testing the groups limits.

Last edited by TheVision; 05-17-2014 at 07:17 AM.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

When I walked into the movie theater to see TWS I was excited to see the intense action sequences. But to my surprise, I walked out of the movie theater wanting to see more interactions with Cap and Widow.

The scenes in the truck where Cap and Widow are talking to each other is one of my favorite parts of the movie.

I'd just like to see these characters interact more. I've always wanted to see Cap and Stark discuss Howard, or see Hawkeye and Thor discuss archery or something.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
TheVision

I was thinking about this recently too. It would be awesome to see scenes with the characters where theyre totally chilling out together away from the action and its not part of the "plot". Like I pictured Hawkeye on a farm practicing his archery while another Avenger watches (maybe drinking some beer) and theyre talking about his past growing up in the circus etc. We need more things like that to get to know him.

I like the idea of The Avengers hanging out together and not being in hero mode but acting like regular people. Like the Shawarma scene was like that even though they dont talk. Still want to see an Avengers party scene with them all having fun.

Last edited by TheVision; 05-17-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Pond
Side-Kick

It may have more, but the first one was already basically a character drama with explosions.

Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
It may have more, but the first one was already basically a character drama with explosions.
I think I have to disagree with that.

The only real drama we saw was Cap and Stark, Stark and Banner, then Widow and Hawk. Sure, it was there, but that was essential to the bare-bones plot. I don't think it was as fleshed out as it could have been, or as casual as some of us want.

It was nice to see the conversations between Cap and Falcon, Cap and Widow, etc in TWS.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Silvermoth
Avenger

I don't get the whole popcorn ride argument. There was so much character development and it was a great parallel for how we spend too much time fighting each other and need to learn to work together to build something amazing.

I think fanboys just have a nasty habit of loving something to pieces when it first comes out and then complaining that the jokes and things don't work after their millionth viewing

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
TheVision

^^ Agreed! I think there was a nice mixture of everything. From the character development to the drama to the action to humor. It was like a super hero symphony with Joss as the conductor.

The Avengers is my fav super hero movie. Ive seen most of em, and I know what I like when it comes to these kinds of films. I think Joss' personal style/tone of storytelling works perfectly for the super hero genre, more specifically the Marvel Universe. He brought all the aspects we love from the comics and injected them into a live action format so well. The humor is another big reason why I enjoyed it. I dont really care for super hero movies that take themselves too seriously and turn into fake melodramas.

Last edited by TheVision; 05-17-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

In the original Avengers these were the counts for each Avenger:

Hawkeye: 12:44
Thor: 25:52
Hulk+Banner: 28:03 (Banner: 20:29)
Black Widow: 33:35
Iron Man: 37:01
Captain America: 37:42

I imagine most of those will stay about the same. Except maybe Hawkeye. And since Fury/Hill/Coulson (assuming they are in it) will be much smaller roles or cameos, there's probably just 4 more main characters.

Ultron will probably have as much screen time as Loki did if not a smidge more since he'll be directly involved in more combat than Loki was.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, while they'll probably be on the screen at the same time for the majority of their scenes, will need a lot of introduction and development to make us care. At that, I assume they'll be in the 30-40 minute range.

Vision will probably have very little comparative screen time, but Jarvis will obviously be around throughout.

With no Chitauri, Leviathans, The Other or SHIELD, there should be much more focus on the primary characters The Avengers and Ultron. Should make for some decent drama.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 05-17-2014 at 07:52 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperhero View Post
I'm 100% fine with the study and indeed praised the movie for this.
BUT They should have respected the "Iron Man concept" a bit more. Iron Man is Tony Stark risking his life in the suit and battling enemies with his suit combined with his mind.
Iron Man is not a cameo or a remote-controlled toy.
I see where you're coming from, except technically we do get that.

The final fight has him going against someone who can just rip right through his armor (and hence, him), which fits the 'risking his life in the suit and battling enemies'. So yeah, he has to eject and jump into another a lot because the battle damage is extending far beyond bullet dents or scorch marks from electric whips. The struggle... is real.

But yes, the fight could have been longer.

I also consider the glove/boot fight to be like an Iron Man fight except Tony just has a major handicap in only having parts of the suit. Not too different from the Iron Monger fight where the suit is rapidly failing from an unsuitable power source and he doesn't even use the suit's cooler functions, no instead he hides and jumps on Monger's back to rip things out, then gauntlet shield, then Pepper nukes the rooftop. Big whoop, aside from the cunning way Tony uses his limited resources to survive.

CoherentChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #17
TheVision

I really dont want to see every Iron Man movie be exactly the same as the last. We all know he has a suit that he jumps in to fight bad guys. The problem with that is there has to be some real challenge/stakes for him in each film otherwise its really not worthwhile. Iron Man 3 accomplished giving him that in an interesting/smart way imo. Hes def going to have to come up against some truly tough (super) villains if they do more movies.

Last edited by TheVision; 05-18-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #18
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I don't get the whole popcorn ride argument. There was so much character development and it was a great parallel for how we spend too much time fighting each other and need to learn to work together to build something amazing.
I agree. It was an intense movie, even. Now I expect even more character development and drama and not going into the "Iron Man 3" path which was terrible from a drama standpoint.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #19
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
"Character development" is the latest code phrase. It means "dark gritty angsting and heroes being terrible people." Just like how "popcorn film" means "the good guys actually win and aren't drowned in the blood of the innocent."

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #20
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't think there was much character development in THE AVENGERS.

There was a lot of bickering.

Didn't find it particularly compelling exploration of the characters. Hopefully they do better this time around.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #21
TheVision

How can you fully develop/explore ALL the characters that are just getting together for the first time in a 2 hour group origin/action movie with a plot going on? You really cant. The fact Joss pulled it off as well as he did is pretty commendable. He gave each character (minus Hawkeye) a pretty good amount of time and made it really entertaining.

Also, after you establish the origins of why these people are together its always easier to develop the characters because all that other setup stuff is out of the way. Its a given in AOU we'll have more character exploration/arcs. They bonded in A1, they know each other, they had Shawarma together.

The Avengers isnt an arthouse franchise, you gotta be fair about this kind of stuff.

Last edited by TheVision; 05-18-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
sueb1863
Side-Kick

Steve's ongoing search for Bucky should be good for drama in his storyline. Especially if Tony catches wind of it, considering Bucky/ Winter Soldier is supposed to have killed Tony's parents.

sueb1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #23
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"Character development" is the latest code phrase. It means "dark gritty angsting and heroes being terrible people." Just like how "popcorn film" means "the good guys actually win and aren't drowned in the blood of the innocent."
Ha, I think you might be bang on with this actually

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #24
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I really think we're gonna see (already have seen in set photos) the MCU's version of Cap's Kooky Quartet. A sort of Avengers Assembly before the full assembly. Which will be ideal for dramatic tension.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #25
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb1863 View Post
Steve's ongoing search for Bucky should be good for drama in his storyline. Especially if Tony catches wind of it, considering Bucky/ Winter Soldier is supposed to have killed Tony's parents.
Great idea.