The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Default MCU Character Comparison

This isn't a versus thread, but I was wanting to talk about strength, speed, intelligence, fighting skill, etc of the MCU characters. I was inclined to reference the Marvel Power Grids but decided against that.

Basically, of the major MCU characters, who do you think is the smartest? Fastest? Strongest? Most skilled? You know how these things go. And don't feel confined by those above attributes, feel free to discuss any attribute you feel is relevant.

For strongest I would go with Thor or the Hulk. Stark's armor makes him strong, sure, but I don't think it makes him as strong as Thor or Hulk. In the end I would say Hulk is the absolute strongest, cause I don't Thor could one-hit a leviathan.

I think Cap is the most skilled fighter. I don't think that has anything to do with strength. To me, fighting skill could only be determined if both combatants are on the same strength scale. As a result, I think Cap is the most skilled fighter. I feel like his fighting style could outdo the other fighting styles of the other characters. Perhaps Widow would be second.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
TheVision
Born Yesterday

Default Re: MCU Character Comparison

Strongest
HULK (see Battle of NY)
Thor (see Battle of NY)
Iron Man (in suit)
Cap (super soldier)
Hawkeye (guy)
Black Widow (girl)

Smartest:
Tony (as Mark said, Tonys who Bruce was trying to be)
Bruce (gamma experiment fail -10 pts)
Thor (Asgardian knowledge)
Hawkeye/Black Widow (sharp secret agent kids)
Cap (lets face it, hes sorta slow)

Sense of Humor Level
Tony (jokester)
Bruce (dry, dark)
Black Widow (snarky)
Thor (ironic)
Cap (dopey)
Hawkeye (??)

Best Fashion Sense
Tony (Armani)
Bruce (GAP)
Natasha (LL Bean)
Steve (Lands End)
Clint (Army Navy)
Thor (Medieval Mart)

Pure Hand to Hand Combat
Cap (see TWS)
Black Widow (edit)
Thor (minus Asgard strength, not that great)
Hawkeye
Tony (out of suit = no good)
Bruce (unHULKED would be dropped in a second)

Most Super Heroic
Cap
Tony
Thor
Black Widow
Hawkeye
HULK (hes super strong but the loosest cannon)

Last edited by TheVision; 07-11-2014 at 05:14 PM.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Arrowshieldfan
Side-Kick

I think for pure hand to hand combat......black widow wins......she beat up a bunch of security guard in IM2 with just gadget and her hands.......Cap has a bit advantage of the super soldier

Arrowshieldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Cap actually thinks faster than your average human. And TFA suggests he has a near-photographic memory. Hes just less savvy due to being a Capcicle.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 07-11-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Dr. Thanos
Your Family Doctor

The most powerful Avenger in the movie lineup is Thor, by far. His abilities so far have included superhuman strength, superhuman speed especially when flying, magic lightning, weather manipulation and insane durability. When hit by an Aether-powered Malekith, he shrugs it off and only gets a bloody nose, telling him to do it again. He has thousands of years of combat experience and is constantly training with Mjolnir.

Physically, he is stronger than base Hulk, although as he gets angrier Hulk eventually surpasses him in strength. That doesn't matter, however, as Thor's other powers put him easily above the Hulk and several other foes - in fact, he was created exactly to be someone who could beat the Hulk, and this has passed over to the movies. If he wasn't holding back in the Helicarrier fight, he would have annihilated Banner.

Movie Thor may be basically powerless compared to his comic counterpart, but that doesn't mean he still isn't incredibly strong. The only people in the current MCU that could beat him are Thanos and Odin, neither of which have been in a combat situation so far.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
TheVision
Born Yesterday

Thor and raging HULK are a great duo, thats for sure.

THE DESTRUCTION BROS!!

Old 07-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Omega Hulk
Side-Kick

Strongest: as in comics, Hulk, by far. Iron Man and Thor fight for the 2nd place.

Omega Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
RedRose
Side-Kick

The Hulk vs. Thor on who's strongest thing reminds me of the line from Hawkeye in Avengers Assemble..."Hulk is the strongest, Thor is the prettiest, what's there to fight about?" lol

RedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
MessiahDecoy123
Boo Radley cliche

Too bad Black Panther hasn't appeared yet. He's probably the most balanced of all and would make the top 3 in every category.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hulk View Post
Strongest: as in comics, Hulk, by far. Iron Man and Thor fight for the 2nd place.
Well technically King Thor with Odin/Thor force is more powerful than any version of Hulk. Outside of King Thor its Hulk all the way.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
Dr. Thanos
Your Family Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
Well technically King Thor with Odin/Thor force is more powerful than any version of Hulk. Outside of King Thor its Hulk all the way.
No, regular Thor is still more powerful than Hulk. The Hulk is only better in physical strength. Thor was originally written by Stan Lee to beat the Hulk, and is one of the few to not only do so successfully, but repeatedly. The only way Hulk ever wins this fight is if the person writes Thor as an idiot who only swings his hammer around.

So in all seriousness, Thor could drop the Hulk without even laying a finger on him or even getting close enough for Hulk to hope to hit him. The remarks about Thor not being able to hurt him by swinging/throwing his hammer? He's done it plenty before, Thor has shattered entire planets with a single strike, pretty sure Hulk is going to feel that. Most writers tend to forget about Thor's speed as well, not only in combat (he's been shown to swing Mjolnir at faster than light speeds), but also with feats such as outrunning the Silver Surfer. I'd also like to mention Hulk's fight with Zeus, which showed us that if Hulk is hit with lightning enough, his healing factor can be shut down.

It's true that the Hulk can reach infinite strength levels in theory, but it takes a long time for him to reach that point, and in fact it has never happened before. Thor would have finished him long before he gathered nearly enough strength to win.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

In a bare-knuckles, down-to-grit, one-on-one fist fight who would win: Thor or Hulk?

Remember, this is MCU we're talking about. I'd like to point out the Helicarrier fight, which Thor was actually doing quite well on. He was fighting more defensively, whereas the Hulk always fights offensively.

On a side-note, did anyone think it looked a bit ridiculous to see them fist-fighting?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
Dr. Thanos
Your Family Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
In a bare-knuckles, down-to-grit, one-on-one fist fight who would win: Thor or Hulk?

Remember, this is MCU we're talking about. I'd like to point out the Helicarrier fight, which Thor was actually doing quite well on. He was fighting more defensively, whereas the Hulk always fights offensively.

On a side-note, did anyone think it looked a bit ridiculous to see them fist-fighting?
In a regular fistfight, no Mjolnir, no lighting or any other abilities? Hulk, because due to becoming stronger with rage, he will eventually surpass Thor in that aspect. But like I said, physical strength is probably the only thing Hulk has on Thor, and unless he's jobbing you'll rarely see Thor fighting just with his fists.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #14
TheVision
Born Yesterday

Funny lines (post your own faves):

"Looks like it runs on some form of electricity!" - Captain America on Hellicarrier rotor circuit board (lol)

"You people are so petty....and tiny" - Thor

"Well this all looks horrible" - Bruce Banner on massive devastation of NYC battle scene

"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?" - Iron Man to Thor

"Excuse me did we come to your planet and blow stuff up?" - Nick Fury to Thor

"That man is playing Galaga, thought we wouldnt notice, but we did" - Tony

Old 07-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Theoretically Cap should get smarter and smarter each film, he learns really quickly and as pointed out has a photographic memory.

Ghostcrow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #16
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostcrow13 View Post
Theoretically Cap should get smarter and smarter each film, he learns really quickly and as pointed out has a photographic memory.
Interesting. As he grows to learn more about his companions, he ought to become the go-to tactician for the Avengers. I know that's his role already, but I want to see more of it. Not just a plan at the beginning of a battle, but I want to see him consistently giving orders to the rest of the team throughout the battle.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post
Interesting. As he grows to learn more about his companions, he ought to become the go-to tactician for the Avengers. I know that's his role already, but I want to see more of it. Not just a plan at the beginning of a battle, but I want to see him consistently giving orders to the rest of the team throughout the battle.
Hopefully we see him more as the battlefield leader, they have said it will be Tony and Cap leading, so i expect it to be Cap battlefield commander, with Tony operation manager etc.

Although it is clear the team splits up during the movie, so we may not see a lot of Caps leading unfortunately

Ghostcrow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #18
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Avengers

Most powerful - Thor
The strongest -Hulk
Strategic Commander and tactician - Cap
Intelligence - Iron Man

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote