The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #876
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 4

You know, I'm thinking, we're all waiting on pins and needles for promo pics of the suits but I'm starting to think that even when they do release the pics they're just going to be a tease of what they will look like. What I'm saying is I don't think we're going to get a full top down look at what they look like. The reason why I say this is because im thinking of the first promo pics of Henry Cavill in the suit for MoS and most of the details were obscured in shadow. We got a taste of what the suit looked like but not the full meal.

I think its more likely we're going to get a tease of what they will look like and not a full, clear, top-down shot of the suits. So, basically what I'm saying is keep your expectations in check, guys. Theres a good chance the first pic they release will only be a tease and not a full, clear look at the costumes.

Last edited by kguillou; 04-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #877
Wayne Bruce
Not Bruce Wayne

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 4

Please let Tim Tebow be Flash Gordon lol.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #878
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
They'd have to remove a lot of the first contact theme, or change it completely.
If GL was moderately successful and brought into a pseudo-continuity:

1) Man of Steel is unchanged.
2) Green Lantern is changed.
3) Kronallax's attack is covered up as a terrorist attack by ARGUS. As of yet, the public has no knowledge of Green Lantern's alien tech, Abin Sur and the nature of the monster.

If Green Lantern was a bonafide success:

I don't know, I can't change the universe. But Man of Steel was in development before Green Lantern was released, it's possible it was never intended to be shared.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #879
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
If GL was moderately successful and brought into a pseudo-continuity:

1) Man of Steel is unchanged.
2) Green Lantern is changed.
3) Kronallax's attack is covered up as a terrorist attack. As of yet, the public has no knowledge of Green Lantern's alien tech, Abin Sur and the nature of the monster.
Yes, that's the easiest way forward, why are you assuming that they would have taken the easiest way forward?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #880
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Yes, that's the easiest way forward, why are you assuming that they would have taken the easiest way forward?
Why do something simple in a complicated manner, when you can do it in a simple one?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #881
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
How would Man of Steel have been written if the Green Lantern movie had not been a total disaster, and had actually grossed ~600 million and thus launched the DC film universe?
As you said, the first contact story would be gone. I think you'd also have to nix the Zod component since it would be too similar to Parallax attacking Earth to get to GL.

Given all that, they probably would have gone with a Lex story. Clark might've been nervous to reveal himself given how anxious the public was in the face of learning they're not alone in the universe. Lex could use this against Superman, painting him as a villain before he gets the chance to show he's a hero.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #882
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Why are you acting like its impossible to just say that the events of MOS come before GL?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #883
The Endless
WE are Groot

Just pretend GL never happened, like i do. Barely anyone saw it and those who did probably can't remember it anyway.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #884
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Why are you acting like its impossible to just say that the events of MOS come before GL?
If MoS took place before Green Lantern they need to explain why Superman was not helping out in the fight against Fartallax. This isn't an Iron Man situation, Superman can fly across the world in a few seconds.

You know, the original script for GL actually had the Abin Sur's ring pass by Clark Kent's desk at the daily planet to consider him.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #885
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Mostly because I think that's way too confusing for the audience. To go back in time right after you launched a connected universe is a bad move, IMO. Plus, it would make it seem really weird that Superman didn't come help with Parallax.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #886
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
As you said, the first contact story would be gone. I think you'd also have to nix the Zod component since it would be too similar to Parallax attacking Earth to get to GL.

Given all that, they probably would have gone with a Lex story. Clark might've been nervous to reveal himself given how anxious the public was in the face of learning they're not alone in the universe. Lex could use this against Superman, painting him as a villain before he gets the chance to show he's a hero.
Nonononono, GL bombed in late 2011, so by then the story for MoS was set or nearly set, only minor to moderate changes were possible.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #887
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

To be honest I hope they keep RR as GL and find some way to do a soft reboot. I didn't think the movie was really that bad and think they could make it work.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #888
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Nonononono, GL bombed in late 2011, so by then the story for MoS was set or nearly set, only minor to moderate changes were possible.
Everything is meaningless. I don't even care about the suit reveals anymore. Thanks, Ryan Reynolds.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #889
The Endless
WE are Groot

Green Lantern was terrible on every single level. So, so bad. It didn't have any redeeming features. It's best to pretend it never existed.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #890
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Green Lantern was terrible on every single level. So, so bad. It didn't have any redeeming features. It's best to pretend it never existed.
I agree. It was really really really realllllly reallllllllllly bad. A ZERO star movie basically.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #891
Mikelus
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
An early 90's TV show and cameo's on smallville are never going to satisfy in the way that a movie would.
Well, a full season of the new Flash series should be more interesting than a two hour movie.

If WB decides to keep the tv and cinematic universe apart, hopefully they will cast someone that fits the part better than Grant Gustin. Grant is fine (for the CW), but I think they can do better.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #892
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree. the movie wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. I think the movie needed to find its own identity instead of trying to be Iron Man in space. I think it was just ok.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #893
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
We're not discussing Green Lantern, we're discussing MoS and how it would have been different if GL had been good and successful.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #894
hafizbat
Side-Kick

I do not want to start a war or anything, but I actually wish Green Lantern and Flash were being made by Marvel Studios. Or WB was as energetic about their DC characters.

I know a lot of people don't like the "Marvel" way of doing things, but you can't deny that there would at least be something. And as seen by IM1, Avengers, and now TWS, they have potential to make brilliant movies.

Truth be told, GL and Flash would have had multiple films by now and would be far more relevant and popular than they are now if they were treated the way Marvel treats their properties.

GL and Flash are about equal or maybe even higher on the totem pole of popularity than Captain America and Thor (pre MCU), yet they've yet to make a splash the way the latter two have.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #895
Chip Chipperson
Man of Murder

GL felt like a tv show.

And when you put tv people in charge of a movie, like Greg Berlanti, Michael Green, and Marc Guggenheim, that is what we were always gonna get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Then it will be just like The Dark Knight Rises! :o
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #896
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
I thought the suit looked good, heh.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #897
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I do not want to start a war or anything, but I actually wish Green Lantern and Flash were being made by Marvel Studios. Or WB was as energetic about their DC characters.

I know a lot of people don't like the "Marvel" way of doing things, but you can't deny that there would at least be something. And as seen by IM1, Avengers, and now TWS, they have potential to make brilliant movies.

Truth be told, GL and Flash would have had multiple films by now and would be far more relevant and popular than they are now if they were treated the way Marvel treats their properties.

GL and Flash are about equal or maybe even higher on the totem pole of popularity than Captain America and Thor (pre MCU), yet they've yet to make a splash the way the latter two have.
The wonder of the MCU is that they have made household names and lucrative franchises out of B heroes.

I am not an avid comic book follower. But I was always aware of all the DC characters and had never heard of Iron Man or CA or Thor or Widow before the MCU. In terms of comic popularity and fame, DC far outstrips Marvel.

But Marvel reversed that with their MCU by making blockbusters out of B heroes. IMHO.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #898
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:

If GL was a huge success, grossing over 500-600 million dollars and being critically acclaimed, i guarantee a Flash movie and/or a WW movie would be in some form of production by now.

But it's failure knocked WBs faith in DC superheroes other than Supes and Bats. But GL didn't fail just because it wasn't Superman or Batman. It failed because they made terrible decisions and created a terrible film. The biggest wrong decision was seemingly picking Martin Campbell's name out of a hat. He just was never going to be the right director for a GL film.

It's a matter of faith. Marvel have faith in their characters. Even Guardians of the Galaxy, who are unknown to a lot of comic book readers, let alone people who have zero interest in comics.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #899
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
I thought the suit looked good, heh.
Hmm yea i liked the suit designs actually. Pretty inspired to be honest. It's a shame more imagination went into the suits than everything else though.

It's unbelievable than a film about Green Lantern, whose greatest strength is imagination, was so... unimaginative and bland. Huge disappointment. So much potential.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #900
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
The wonder of the MCU is that they have made household names and lucrative franchises out of B heroes.

I am not an avid comic book follower. But I was always aware of all the DC characters and had never heard of Iron Man or CA or Thor or Widow before the MCU. In terms of comic popularity and fame, DC far outstrips Marvel.

But Marvel reversed that with their MCU by making blockbusters out of B heroes. IMHO.
Yep. I think this article right here sums up where the MCU started.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul...ent/et-comic22

Closed Thread