The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man Sequels

Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Th Confused Man in the Shadows Is...

Ok, first, spoilers ahead. Guess you should of realized that based on the title. If you haven't seen TASM2 and don't want to know (based on reports) who the Man in the Shadows is, then don't read on...

[IMG]http://media.**************.com/images/users/uploads/26858/amazing-spider-man-mystery-man.jpg[/IMG]

So, The Man in the Shadows from the end credits in The Amazing Spider-Man.

This guy had to be THE guy, right?

So mysterious! So menacing!

And the speculation had us looking at masterful controllers like:

Norman Osborn
Doc Ock
The Gentleman
Mysterio
Spencer Smythe
And others...

Each of these were heavy hitters. Each of these would change the face of the Amazing Spider-Man franchise and control the future that we'd see in The Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4.

And in the end?

Who did it turn out to be?

Who was this obvious genius, master manipulator, who is behind everything?

It's!

It's!

It's!

Mr. Fear????????????????????????????????

Who the heck is Mr. Fear?

Kind of looks like Crossbones a little:

Or maybe General Griveous:

Well, it turns out Mr. Fear is some second rate Marvel version of DC's Scarecrow, who is more of a Daredevil villain than Spiderman's?

Color me disappointed!!!!!!!

Webb could have done so much with this mysterious character, making him the ultimate man behind the scens, controlling everything.

And maybe Webb will pull some more magic out of his hat with this choice, but for now I'm not feeling it!

IMO, the best bet is that he turns this second rate villain into Mysterio, so that he would at least make some sense, or just not use him as anything more than the guy that got Harry to get the Six together.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed in this reveal. Wondering what you guys think?

Last edited by Super Jim; 04-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Rorschach2012
$

Default Re: Man in the Shadows Is...

wow that's disappointing. why would they keep that such a huge secret?

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Mr. Fear? What? Super Jim, you are way off. The Man in the Shadows is:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Gustav Fiers, otherwise known as The Gentleman.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Are you sure? Been reading everywhere online that it's Mr. Fear.

Here's a link:

http://whatculture.com/film/amazing-...lly-solved.php

I've read this elsewhere as well.

Hopefully it's all wrong and it's The Gentleman like you indicate.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Picard Sisko

Yup, I'm sure. That website has it wrong.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Thank goodness!!!!!

So it's the Gentleman, just like Webb (likely drunkenly) divulged?

Guess this makes sense, in a way. Do you forsee him being involved as one of the members, or just influencing Harry to form the S6?

If he's just influence, then it's, as we've speculated:

Goblin
Rhino
Vulture
Doc Ock

And 2 others. Maybe Electro and maybe Lizard, or maybe even Black Cat like I've suggested.

Did we get anything to suggest others?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Picard Sisko

Well the Gentleman in the S6 novels was there to gather the Sinister Six to kill Spider-Man. He wouldn't be one of the six though.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Right, my hope is he would just be the one influencing Harry and the others...

Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
LEGO Spidey
Side-Kick

How did he vanish from Connors' cell, though? I'm still hoping for a mashup of The Gentleman and Mysterio, given Peter's "visions" in this movie.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes!!!
LEGO Spidey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
Picard Sisko

It's possible that was just an illusion created by Mysterio.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #11
The Villain
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
It's possible that was just an illusion created by Mysterio.
Nice to see you back Picard.

I still hope he will be because really Webb is so secret that he won't give away too much until later this year or early 2015.

Deep down he maintains a likeness to use villains not been seen yet so Mysterio still has a chance. It would also be silly not to allow the audience to finally know how MIS got in and out.

Again I think we just need a bit of patience & also to allow him to relax before filming begins on ASM3 The Menace Of Mysterio.(my preferred title). oh and as I've yet to see ASM2 I avoid critics at all costs but only the picky ones.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach need not pressure him like Raimi was in SM3 thats my big wish for now. Dan Slott when asked seemed to get nods from Marc when he said Mysterio is your man or something along that lines.

The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Yup, I'm sure. That website has it wrong.
They get it wrong a lot. For example they predict that one of Patrick Wilson's roles in Ant Man was Iron Fist.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
The Villain
Side-Kick

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGO Spidey View Post
How did he vanish from Connors' cell, though? I'm still hoping for a mashup of The Gentleman and Mysterio, given Peter's "visions" in this movie.
Fingers Crossed. that would be my wish also. Webb will I'm sure let us know in due time.

Keep telling Avi & Matt that Marc is ready for old fishbowl head and since it's his 50th birthday this week lets all prepare him an FX party he'd welcome.

In all of the Marvel Universe, there’s no villain quite like Mysterio. Sure, there are plenty of other illusionists and corrupt Hollywood types lurking in the shadows, but Mysterio’s the only one that intimidates heroes while wearing a fishbowl on his head! When Mysterio gets involved, heroes can just forget about trusting their senses – and that includes Spider-Man‘s spider-sense.

Quentin Beck first debuted 50 years ago in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #13, by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Mysterio had readers confused from the very first page of his first appearance, when he began a crime spree while in an elaborate Spider-Man costume. As all of Spidey’s fans turned against him, Peter Parker began to wonder if he had developed a criminal split personality. However stressful this shocking development made Peter, it absolutely delighted J. Jonah Jameson.

Mysterio appeared in Jameson’s office, playing to the Daily Bugle publisher’s anti-Spidey sentiment. The caped intruder urged Jameson to publish a letter to the wall-crawler, telling him to meet Mysterio for answers.

With the element of surprise – re: fishbowl helmet – firmly on his side, the special effects master easily trounced Spider-Man in their first skirmish. This public defeat elevated the new costumed creep’s credibility, and helped to further ruin Spidey’s reputation. Mysterio won one fight and got a parade thrown in his honor.

Little did the wannabe mastermind know that cozying up to J. Jonah Jameson would prove to be his undoing. The villain-in-disguise shook Daily Bugle photographer Peter Parker’s hand and failed to notice the Spider-Tracer that the scrawny teenager placed in his cloak. Finally, the player got played! With his device transmitting out Mysterio’s location at all times, Parker tracked his rival back to his headquarters at a television studio. After getting the drop on Mysterio, the voice behind the bowl began to recount his origin.

Ex-stunt man and prop master Quentin Beck decided to use his know-how to imitate all of Spider-Man’s powers. This being the ’60s, that technology included a lot of springs and magnets. But with the element of surprise firmly on his side, Spider-Man finally put Mysterio in his place.

With Mysterio’s confession all caught on tape, Spider-Man cleared his name and made Jameson publish a retraction. This wouldn’t be the last time the two would clash, as Mysterio would go on to earn a spot in Spider-Man’s bad guy hall of fame. But that initial element of surprise would be gone forever, as heroes never forget their first fishbowl-faced foe

Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

The S6 will
come from Oscorp but at the end of TASM2, the gentleman wanted Oscorp to create "special projects" for his evil schemes.
so things wont be contained by Oscorp.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Batman v Superman v Wonder Woman and a f*** load of characters
Dawn Of Setting Things Up for Justice Leauge
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #15
The Villain
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
The S6 will
come from Oscorp but at the end of TASM2, the gentleman wanted Oscorp to create "special projects" for his evil schemes.
so things wont be contained by Oscorp.
Sounds good to me.

More than happy to learn that Michael Massee will hopefully get a bigger part in ASM3.

It kinda reminds me of the Blofeld era from the 60's Bond's keeping him secret for a couple of movies then bang revealing the mastermind to the audience in third film.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #16
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Sounds good to me.

More than happy to learn that Michael Massee will hopefully get a bigger part in ASM3.

It kinda reminds me of the Blofeld era from the 60's Bond's keeping him secret for a couple of movies then bang revealing the mastermind to the audience in third film.

Blofeld is a great comparison!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #17
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

It's Doctor Octopus.

How do I know?

A. He has the silouette of Doc Ock from the Raimi films (albeit slimmer). Long coat, fedora. It seems like a deliberate clue.
B. There must be significance to him or he wouldn't be hidden in the shadows. He's got to be someone big. He isn't someone already introduced, therefore he's a major character, and a villain, who hasn't been in the series yet. He's obviously not Eddie Brock. I suppose he might be Roderick Kingsley, but that would make for too many Goblins. No, I think we'll find that the Man in the Shadows constructed all the villain's stuff (Rhino suit, Vulture wings, tentacles) because he himself is Doctor Octopus.
C. We know Doc Ock will be part of the Sinister Six.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
Picard Sisko

Trust me, it's not Doc Ock.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Radiation View Post
It's Doctor Octopus.

How do I know?

A. He has the silouette of Doc Ock from the Raimi films (albeit slimmer). Long coat, fedora. It seems like a deliberate clue.
B. There must be significance to him or he wouldn't be hidden in the shadows. He's got to be someone big. He isn't someone already introduced, therefore he's a major character, and a villain, who hasn't been in the series yet. He's obviously not Eddie Brock. I suppose he might be Roderick Kingsley, but that would make for too many Goblins. No, I think we'll find that the Man in the Shadows constructed all the villain's stuff (Rhino suit, Vulture wings, tentacles) because he himself is Doctor Octopus.
C. We know Doc Ock will be part of the Sinister Six.
I know it's Doc Ock. How?
1. Guy wears coat and hat
2. He is character
3. He will be there

Such reasoning

I'm only messing with you. But really, I don't think it will be him, for those simple reasons alone, if he was even a candidate and we didn't hear his real name at the end of the film (from what I understand).

Last edited by Wadaltmon; 04-18-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #20
Picard Sisko

TMITS is the Gentleman. There's nothing to speculate in terms of his identity at this point.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #21
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
I know it's Doc Ock. How?
1. Guy wears coat and hat
2. He is character
3. He will be there

Such reasoning

I'm only messing with you. But really, I don't think it will be him, for those simple reasons alone, if he was even a candidate and we didn't hear his real name at the end of the film (from what I understand).
People who have seen the film can tell you he's referred to as Fiers. They say his name so for us fans, the speculation can be put to a close.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

INFINITE WONDERS- fun superhero comics drawn by me
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #22
The Villain
Side-Kick

Its been a day since I saw ASM2. And still fresh in my mind here is my latest idea that came to me lastnight.

I think going back to all the folk like me who are hoping to learn how Man In Shadows vanished in & out of Dr Connors cell may well be due to him holding a possible holocube.

My reasons

1 - ASM2 when we see Harry hold onto and later on get an electric shock (Electro's not inside the cube by the way) from that Oscorp cube like device could be a Holocube or others like it may exist that give us artificial images, illusions etc.

2 - When we see MIS close up in ASM you notice he rubs his hand while other is concealed by his hat. Maybe just maybe he actually had one of Oscorps cubes to make it look as if he were inside the cell.

Again this makes me wonder if Webb is teasing us Mysterio or somesort of link to his character for ASM3.

If those who have seen both these films have a similar idea or also noticed what I think may well be the link to Man In Shadows, Mysterio & Oscorp feel free to add your views here.

I don't have a huge problem if Mysterio's holocubes were already in production at Oscorp at all but again I know all too well that some would prefer him be not tied to Oscorp.

See what you think folks?

seems to be