The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 9

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 8

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
TheNextNolan22
**** THIS COMPANY

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 10

This is for Mrs Kent26.

We're going to get Daily Planet scenes I would've though that's pretty obvious. Clark Lois and there's Perry in the film.

Oh and read this someone wrote a piece on their blog about their experience as an extra on the Daily Planet set.

http://www.theatreofzen.com/2014/07/...batman-vs.html

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
This is for Mrs Kent26.

We're going to get Daily Planet scenes I would've though that's pretty obvious. Clark Lois and there's Perry in the film.

Oh and read this someone wrote a piece on their blog about their experience as an extra on the Daily Planet set.

Oh I had read that before too! It was really interesting to read about her experience. I guess all the scenes were on a set, but she still got to see Lois and some of the other main actors. Fun stuff! It would be great to be able to have that experience!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
This is for Mrs Kent26.

This was awesome to read and it took me back to when I used to be an extra. Loooong hours for like 3-4 minutes or even just seconds in the actual film or show. I was really missing it as I read this. Very impressed with her descriptions all while keeping her integrity and not sharing details. Thanks for posting.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
Spamtron
THE MAN

quoted from Reiter: Now that you mention it, and since i wasnt here when MoS came out... what's the official explanation of the penis pods Zod and his guys were put in to get to the Phantom Zone? I read something about the Kryptonian society not having sex (the codex and all that) so they subconsciously sprinkle their daily lives with it without even noticing. Was that it?

The official word from Zack and the Wife was that they had a boatload of vagina and birthing symbolism all over MOS and Krypton stuff specifically... If you really only noticed the one penis-y looking shot you need to re-watch MOS and see all the great Vag splattered all over the place.
Not only is the first scene of Kal being born, but Supes even debuts out of a ship's birth canal...you'll have a whole new appreciation for this movie from now on I suspect.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post

Every single gif in this post is magnificent, INCLUDING your avatar! Diehard Sting fan all my life. Marked out on RAW with his tease for WWE2k15. Never thought I'd see the day.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

If there is no shirt rip, I will refuse to buy the Bluray! Henry must be seen in the iconic Superman moment!!!

BatmanVSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
regwec
Shakespearo

Is that...a clip-on tie?

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
Audrey
Side-Kick

Regarding the comparisons a few pages back to Hatcher/Cain and Welling/Durance with "chemistry"....it's a totally unfair comparison, guys. Totally unfair.

Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher were starring on a show where the prime development and attention was given to their love story. They filmed 22 episodes a year together for 4 years straight. Yes, they had incredible chemistry. (It's also fairly well known that they slept together in real life and then could barely stand to be in the same room by the end of the series.). But they were on a show that fostered and encouraged it with scripts that were focused on their relationship above all else. That honeymoon clip was filmed in their 4th year of working together or approximately 75 hours of film together by that stage.

Tom and Erica worked together for 7 years. Day in. Day out. And, again, they were on a series that took the time to Foster Lois and Clark's growing relationship until the audience was losing their minds waiting for it. They were both married to other people at the time and had nothing going on off-set (Tom is sadly now divorced but he was def married then). Erica had a son and was super committee to her husband and family. But they just really enjoyed each other's company as friends and they created a fantastic chemistry on-screen. But that love scene was filmed in the 10th season! Yes, it's intensely intimate and hot but those are two actors who lived and breathed each other for years on a series devoted to Clark's personal life. So, yes, Tom and Erica were explosive together but they were also committed actors who played those roles for a long time together.

Chris and Margot had intensely sexual chemistry but again....look what they were given to work with. That interview scene in the first movie is completely committed to their growing bond with no outside distractions. It's filed with innuendo and flirtation. They were given a ton to work with.

Henry and Amy got one 2 hour movie and within that 2 hour movie they were given maybe 30 seconds actually committed to their bond. Given how little they were given---which falls directly at the feet of Goyer and Snyder for not making it a priority---they did a lovely job. The moment I feel it the most is the cornfield scene. I feel that prickle there when he lands and the scene feels over way too soon. I also feel it at the end when he shows up at the Planet. The movie just didn't give them nearly enough focus and that's frustrating. They are working very hard with how little they got.

But to compare them to actors who have worked together for 7 years and filmed like 75 hours together on shows that focused on romance? Totally unfair. They are both great actors but they aren't magicians. They can't rewrite the script.

As for the dynamic being different now that she knows the secret? Uh....I gather you don't read comics. Lois knew who Clark was for over 20 years in the modern comics and she knew in the pre-crisis Golden Age marriage too. Just as she knew on Smallville by a certain point and the final two seasons of Lois and Clark and in most of the DC animated movies of late. They dynamic doesn't change much at all. They are still super cheeky and fun and teasing with each other. It's so limiting to me to suggest that she needs to be kept in the dark to keep romantic tension. That's just not how relationships work and some of the best stories of the last 20 years were told with her clearly knowing exactly who he was. Know your history!

Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Is that...a clip-on tie?
That is from the original shirt/tie Reeve used in his shirt rip scene.

BatmanVSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
Regarding the comparisons a few pages back to Hatcher/Cain and Welling/Durance with "chemistry"....it's a totally unfair comparison, guys. Totally unfair.

Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher were starring on a show where the prime development and attention was given to their love story. They filmed 22 episodes a year together for 4 years straight. Yes, they had incredible chemistry. (It's also fairly well known that they slept together in real life and then could barely stand to be in the same room by the end of the series.). But they were on a show that fostered and encouraged it with scripts that were focused on their relationship above all else. That honeymoon clip was filmed in their 4th year of working together or approximately 75 hours of film together by that stage.

Tom and Erica worked together for 7 years. Day in. Day out. And, again, they were on a series that took the time to Foster Lois and Clark's growing relationship until the audience was losing their minds waiting for it. They were both married to other people at the time and had nothing going on off-set (Tom is sadly now divorced but he was def married then). Erica had a son and was super committee to her husband and family. But they just really enjoyed each other's company as friends and they created a fantastic chemistry on-screen. But that love scene was filmed in the 10th season! Yes, it's intensely intimate and hot but those are two actors who lived and breathed each other for years on a series devoted to Clark's personal life. So, yes, Tom and Erica were explosive together but they were also committed actors who played those roles for a long time together.

Chris and Margot had intensely sexual chemistry but again....look what they were given to work with. That interview scene in the first movie is completely committed to their growing bond with no outside distractions. It's filed with innuendo and flirtation. They were given a ton to work with.

Henry and Amy got one 2 hour movie and within that 2 hour movie they were given maybe 30 seconds actually committed to their bond. Given how little they were given---which falls directly at the feet of Goyer and Snyder for not making it a priority---they did a lovely job. The moment I feel it the most is the cornfield scene. I feel that prickle there when he lands and the scene feels over way too soon. I also feel it at the end when he shows up at the Planet. The movie just didn't give them nearly enough focus and that's frustrating. They are working very hard with how little they got.

But to compare them to actors who have worked together for 7 years and filmed like 75 hours together on shows that focused on romance? Totally unfair. They are both great actors but they aren't magicians. They can't rewrite the script.

As for the dynamic being different now that she knows the secret? Uh....I gather you don't read comics. Lois knew who Clark was for over 20 years in the modern comics and she knew in the pre-crisis Golden Age marriage too. Just as she knew on Smallville by a certain point and the final two seasons of Lois and Clark and in most of the DC animated movies of late. They dynamic doesn't change much at all. They are still super cheeky and fun and teasing with each other. It's so limiting to me to suggest that she needs to be kept in the dark to keep romantic tension. That's just not how relationships work and some of the best stories of the last 20 years were told with her clearly knowing exactly who he was. Know your history!
NAIL ON HEAD! Great post Audrey.

I think those complaining about lack of chemistry would be the first to be up in arms if MOS focused too much on Superman/Clark and Lois burgeoning relationship.

They can't win.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Am I the only one who thinks Reeve looks oddly like Benedict Cumberbatch in that picture?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
This is for Mrs Kent26.

That's for this, Fallen.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Daily Planet scenes. If they didn't put any in, I'd definitely pout about it. It seems we'll get some at least.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
So you've not read anything in the last 25 odd years pre reboot when they were a couple and married because all of what you were saying is there. Lois knowing only changes things personally not professionally.
Personally is mostly what I meant, when "classic Lois and Clark", to me, involves:

The Clark-Lois-Superman love triangle.
Clark beating her to the punch with Superman stories.
Lois gradually falling for Clark while getting over Superman.
Etc.

Are any of those a possibility in BVS?

Professionally, sure, I'm sure we'll get at least one scene of them doing some coverage, essential to the plot rather than character-motivated (my conjecture). I very much doubt that the movie, packed to the brim as it is, is gonna devote much time to Lois and Clark being career-driven journos.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #17
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

In terms of talk of Lois / Clark chemistry, I thought and felt Henry and Amy where amazing together, every scene they shared oozed the belief of two people falling in love....

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Yeah, I thought so too. If some people couldn't see it... I don't know what to tell them.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #19
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
Personally is mostly what I meant, when "classic Lois and Clark", to me, involves:

Etc.

Professionally, sure, I'm sure we'll get at least one scene of them doing some coverage, essential to the plot rather than character-motivated (my conjecture). I very much doubt that the movie, packed to the brim as it is, is gonna devote much time to Lois and Clark being career-driven journos.

We've had many incarnation of that MOS skipped over it we really don't need to see it over and over again. Get to the next phase of their relationship and what's happened in the last 30 odd years.

The people who've watched L&C and Smallvile are more than familiar with that stage of their lives.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I thought so too. If some people couldn't see it... I don't know what to tell them.
I really don't know how people can have the 'no chemistry' belief between AA and HC, it's umistakable frankly. The moment where they embrace following the 'neck snap', his pain of scream and she holds him, you feel it.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #21
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
We've had many incarnation of that MOS skipped over it we really don't need to see it over and over again. Get to the next phase of their relationship and what's happened in the last 30 odd years.

The people who've watched L&C and Smallvile are more than familiar with that stage of their lives.
To each his own, obviously, but I'd argue that skipping that part is skipping over the L/C relationship at its most unique/interesting. There's a reason superhero comics -or drama in general?- start to get boring after the hero settles down romantically. Remove romantic tension from the Superman story and you remove a substantial part of his appeal. The power fantasy, the idea of "if only she could see what I am underneath"? That's a big part of Superman.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I think someone said it best when they said that HC/AA didn't really have romantic chemistry.

And it definitely has nothing to do with Amy being a "subtle" actor, because she had great chemistry with Christian Bale.

Quote:
To each his own, obviously, but I'd argue that skipping that part is skipping over the L/C relationship at its most unique/interesting. There's a reason superhero comics -or drama in general?- start to get boring after the hero settles down romantically. Remove romantic tension from the Superman story and you remove a substantial part of his appeal.
I agree, and I imagine a few writers would agree with you too.

B v S is really gonna have to justify having Lois know the secret early, IMO.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #23
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:

Etc.

Except you have to watch the word "classic" because it has different meaning depending on how old you are and how familiar you are with their history.

What you described above isn't "classic" as much as dated. It's also really unfair to Lois as it puts her in an unfair situation.

The newer origin stories for Superman even prior to the new 52---notably Geoff Johns' Secret Origin---implied right away that Lois was on to Clark and that she felt very close to him. This idea that she has to "get over" Superman is a false representation of what was actually going on even previously. It puts the onus on HER in a way that's unfair and borderline sexist. In the newer narratives, the onus is on HIM to be honest because it's the right thing to do and because wet deserves no less.

Moreover, it's a myth that the Triangle doesn't exist after she knows because it does. It's still a story about a man and woman who love each other through different identities and roles. Lois never stops loving two sides to the same person even when she knows and he never stops juggling them both even when she knows.

Even further, it's fact that Jerry Siegel intended Lois to find out the truth as early as 1940 and DC wouldn't allow it. You can read the story online. Siegel always imagined that she would know early on and they would move forward as partners. So one could say that this is what was intended all along.

Look, I love the triangle and I think it's deeply fun in the right time and place. But I really think that after 75 years, Lois has EARNED a story where she isn't kept in the dark. To imply that it's not as fun just rubs me the wrong way. Particularly when there is 25 plus years of comics and media at this point that have proven that their romance transcends beyond that stage into deeper, special stories.

Isn't it time that Siegel's actual vision actually got some time to play out in a film franchise? Haven't they earned that as characters after 75 years? Just my two cents.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #24
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I think someone said it best when they said that HC/AA didn't really have romantic chemistry.

And it definitely has nothing to do with Amy being a "subtle" actor, because she had great chemistry with Christian Bale.

That's my point, I felt romantic chemitsry not just friendship and understanding, as I say, I saw and felt two people falling in love... but appreciate people can see things differently, but it might just be that I know I'm a massive squidy old romantic at heart

Old 07-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #25
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

American Hustle was categorized by David O'Russell himself as being a romance. Why are you comparing a film that legitimately was about a love story and devoted tons of screentime to that love story (including a sex scene) with an Oscar nominated director committed to telling a romance to an action movie committed to blowing crap up with about two scenes of quiet? That is a ridiculous comparison. You are comparing two things as some kind of irrational gage of chemistry (which is subjective to begin with) that aren't comparable.

As for "writers" who agree with you that marriage is boring....actually there a pretty significant number of writers that have fought back against the underlying dangers and problems with that idea. Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, Kurt Busiek, Bryan Q Miller, Kelly Sue Deconnick and many others have argued against this sexist idea that Lois must always remain in the dark and that committed relationships are boring. Its a terrible way to view love even in fiction.

The movie doesn't have to justify deciding to treat a 75 year old feminist icon with the dignity that her creator tried to bestow upon her in 1940. They don't have to justify treating her with respect and allowing her to have the knowledge that she had earned as the first woman of comics.

I love the triangle in past stories but I'm shaking my head at this idea that a woman being treated as worthy of the truth from the get go ruins romantic fantasy. Committed relationships are not boring and it's pathetic as a culture that we treat them like they are. I like Lois and Clark because they have a life after "happily ever after." That's the part I want to read about bc that's what's real in a story about a guy who can fly. Marriage is filled with tension and drama and pain and joy and happiness and struggle. It's just as real and worthy of drama as "the chase" and it's often a much more equal narrative that is fair to both parties in the equation.

Last edited by Audrey; 07-17-2014 at 03:35 PM.