The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #251
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Default Re: batman vs Superman box office prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
When's the last time a Superman film was in the billion club. 2006?
Whatever the film is 'supposed' to do, it as to start somewhere(just like batman). People thinking superman means a billion and that snyder somehow fell short with his film are over looking all the box office power the brand has actually produced in spite of Snyder/MoS.

For all the people that think the brand should be making more than cap and thor and such. One simply needs to compare MOS1 with all those other first installments, including Xmen. Gotta start somewhere, unfortunately this particular film actually started in the hole(like batman).

That pacific rim date might have help with that 9 million...guess we'll never know. The comp was fierce though. None of the big films this year have faced such a thing.

China and the rest of the asian territories really are helping films in a way MOS failed to. Perhaps with the sequel. Novelty sells. Decent choreography helps in the land that invented hong kong cinema.

I didn't say it was my reasoning, personally I'm surprised a Superman film resonated with audiences at all in this day and age. I'm just explaining where all the billion for MoS sentiments came from.

Interesting notion on the appeal of good choreography is appreciated more in the east, it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebrodyg View Post
Returns didn't help because it was associated with the what some would call "lame" version (Donner) of Superman but also threw in a weird stalker, deadbeat Dad thing so I think Superman as a box office draw suffered from that.

Regarding MOS, I agree with your points about what might have stopped it in it's tracks but I would also add surprising box office returns from WWZ and a generally competitive summer. I really think MoS would have easily made 300d + had WWZ not surprised everyone.

I'm not counting on BvS making 1B. More than MoS? Yes.
I think it's got a far better chance of hitting 1B on it's premise alone (more so than others here think) but that competition is ridiculous. A spidey sequel, a DOFP sequel and a winter soldier sequel? WB is going to have to go full bat for the marketing of this one, it's the only thing i feel will draw the large audiences.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #252
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I didn't say it was my reasoning, personally I'm surprised a Superman film resonated with audiences at all in this day and age. I'm just explaining where all the billion for MoS sentiments came from.

Interesting notion on the appeal of good choreography is appreciated more in the east, it makes sense.

I think it's got a far better chance of hitting 1B on it's premise alone (more so than others here think) but that competition is ridiculous. A spidey sequel, a DOFP sequel and a winter soldier sequel? WB is going to have to go full bat for the marketing of this one, it's the only thing i feel will draw the large audiences.
You got that right! It will take every bit of a Batman's popularity. Snyder's marketing (I know WB has say too) touch should help.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #253
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebrodyg View Post
You got that right! It will take every bit of a Batman's popularity. Snyder's marketing (I know WB has say too) touch should help.
Utilising Batman's popularity and the notion of Batman and Superman being in the same film together. I know some people won't like this, but you can't market this purely as an MoS sequel now. This isn't Superman 2 anymore, it can't be. (marketing wise)

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #254
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Utilising Batman's popularity and the notion of Batman and Superman being in the same film together. I know some people won't like this, but you can't market this purely as an MoS sequel now. This isn't Superman 2 anymore, it can't be. (marketing wise)
I agree and I think we're already seeing that tone since our first official anything was Batman related.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #255
dnno1
Side-Kick

I don't know so much that they have to go "full bat" (i.e. sell this as solely a Batman film), but rather leverage Batman's popularity to lure in his fans to come see the film (exploit his toys show him in action, let people see him talk in his Batman persona, et. al). Just as they would do that, they should also appease Superman and Wonder Woman fans as well to get them to come to the theaters too. That's the only way you would have a chance at getting over $1.5 billion at the box office.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #256
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't know so much that they have to go "full bat" (i.e. sell this as solely a Batman film), but rather leverage Batman's popularity to lure in his fans to come see the film (exploit his toys show him in action, let people see him talk in his Batman persona, et. al). Just as they would do that, they should also appease Superman and Wonder Woman fans as well to get them to come to the theaters too. That's the only way you would have a chance at getting over $1.5 billion at the box office.
No, not solely a Batman film, but his presence in this film needs to be at the forefront.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #257
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

This film is already being marketed as a Batman film just not a solo one. Smart move in behalf of WB because I have a feeling this will be 50/50 Bats/Supes and not 80/20 in favor of Supes.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #258
mclay18
Side-Kick

I'm looking at CA:TWS' takings. Not just the 'Avengers effect' boosting awareness, but the lack of competition in April overall really helped things too.

I can definitely see BvS breaking Marvel's April o.w. by a considerable margin, and making a lot more both domestically and worldwide. I think $300M domestic and $800M-900M worldwide is doable in an off-peak month. But that's contingent on Snyder delivering a good product whether it'll hang in there.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #259
Magic Man
Can't Touch Dis!

With the Trinity onscreen for the first time in history, I predict BvS will easily surpass a billion. Two billion isn't out of the question.

And yes, those ticket sales might all come from me!

Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #260
zryson
Banned User

When it comes to BvS, I wonder if anything less than a billion dollars will be considered a failure when it comes to box office?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #261
Steelsheen
Iconic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I'm looking at CA:TWS' takings. Not just the 'Avengers effect' boosting awareness, but the lack of competition in April overall really helped things too.

I can definitely see BvS breaking Marvel's April o.w. by a considerable margin, and making a lot more both domestically and worldwide. I think $300M domestic and $800M-900M worldwide is doable in an off-peak month. But that's contingent on Snyder delivering a good product whether it'll hang in there.
legs. baby's gotta have some legs

granted many people might actually just check BvS out out of the sheer curiosity of seeing Bats and Supes together in the big screen. so thats gonna count into the first couple of weeks or so. but if they hope to make Avengers money on this they better make sure audiences walk out of the theater so buzzed up they'd want to buy a bullhorn and tell everybody with ears to go see it. otherwise this behemoth will go down faster than the Heidelberg.

btw, is BvS still going head to head against Cap3? because thats insane man. Cap 3 will clean up guaranteed. why dont they move this thing in late March/ April? its wide open.

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 AM   #262
zryson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen View Post
legs. baby's gotta have some legs

granted many people might actually just check BvS out out of the sheer curiosity of seeing Bats and Supes together in the big screen. so thats gonna count into the first couple of weeks or so. but if they hope to make Avengers money on this they better make sure audiences walk out of the theater so buzzed up they'd want to buy a bullhorn and tell everybody with ears to go see it. otherwise this behemoth will go down faster than the Heidelberg.

btw, is BvS still going head to head against Cap3? because thats insane man. Cap 3 will clean up guaranteed. why dont they move this thing in late March/ April? its wide open.
At the moment both films are still scheduled to go head-to-head but I think WB will move the date of their film - either to April or a few months later.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #263
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
When it comes to BvS, I wonder if anything less than a billion dollars will be considered a failure when it comes to box office?
not that easy to make 1 billion. see CA2, TASM2, & Xmen.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #264
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:

I get that, I'm mostly suggesting that in spite of what these people think one can't look at a brand as if it's invincible to it's circumstance. For example, Xmen is historically one of the biggest and most known cbm/movie brands ever. The brand itself had and holds some box office records.

The thing is when XFC does what it does(in many ways, less than even X1), that is very much due to the brand circumstance. I don't even mean to get into the discussion about the films quality(both MOS/XFC), but rather that the films, as good as they are or what people think about how big the name is, still has to work within it's circumstance; and the circumstance for XFC was that it was in a worse shape than even X1. MoS, in spite of the superman brand, is not greater than it's circumstance. Returns was in a far better place, and even then...
1billion really shouldn't have been some 'obvious thing'. Especially with a director that isn't known for that sort of $$. The sequel is a different story.

There are Asian films that appeal on little more than choreography and and work over in that market. I'm pretty certain the kick ass choreo helped cap2 do the insane asian numbers it did in some fashion.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #265
Rowsdower!
Infinity and beyond

$2.4 billion.

Domestic.

Write that down.

Jensen Ackles for Convenience Store Clerk #2
Old 06-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #266
snpklsdmbldr
welcome to the planet

it's all about the release date and lack of competition. no matter how big or small the other movies are it will still eat a lot of theater count shares which means less money/box office.

DFB-GER 2014 + FCB #31/10 + Scuderia Ferrari + DCCU 2020

Old 06-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #267
Magic Man
Can't Touch Dis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
$2.4 billion.

Domestic.

Write that down.
I did it write it down. Woohoo! Now let's make it happen!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #268
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
At the moment both films are still scheduled to go head-to-head but I think WB will move the date of their film - either to April or a few months later.
They should move it to November/Christmas 2015 or the traditional 3rd weekend of July 2016.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #269
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

Quote:

Old 06-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #270
Silliminite
Side-Kick

I'm guessing $1.8 billion worldwide.

Leave crossing the $2 billion mark for Justice League

As an aside, I was thinking which film would be next to cross 2 billion. The obvious contenders for me are Avatar 2, Avengers 2 and BvS.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #271
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Do people forget that avatar was in theaters twice?

Edit: I guess the rerelease grossed way less than I thought

Last edited by Pickleweasel; 06-03-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 AM   #272
Silliminite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Do people forget that avatar was in theaters twice?

Edit: I guess the rerelease grossed way less than I thought
Heh, yeah the re-release grossed just 33.2 million worldwide. I don't think the re-release even aimed for much more than that actually.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:22 AM   #273
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
$2.4 billion.

Domestic.

Write that down.
Low-balling eh?

Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #274
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Okay, fine. I'll entertain myself with a prediction too.

OW: 190m
Stateside: 330m
Overseas: 550m
WW: 880m

I'm still on the side who says 1b is still hard to achieve and BvS simply isn't a gimme in that regard.

EDIT: added opening weekend.

Last edited by lukebrodyg; 06-04-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #275
GreenKToo
In the fire

I dont know if it will hit a billion ( depends on how good it is etc etc) but i can certainly see it breaking opening wk records. Everybody and their brother will want to see this at the opening.

Closed Thread