View Poll Results: Movie or series?
HBO series 2 66.67%
Movie series 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Rorschach2012
$

Default HBO Series

Today, WB announced plans to double production for their premium channels (that includes HBO).

In the same announcement, the upcoming DC movie slate was revealed, and Batman's reboot was notably absent.

how amazing would it be if we got a Batman HBO series in the movie continuity? Think about it, it's the best way to do all of Batman's villains justice. And there are soooo many amazing stories they could adapt this way.

It could basically be a darker, more mature live action BTAS

This isn't an impossible dream, it's very possible given WB/HBO's relationship.

Is this what you all want too? Or a movie series? vote!

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
souvlaki
Side-Kick

Default Re: HBO Series

One flaw in this theory though. Even with movie actors transitioning to tv in recent years I don't see Affleck doing television given he's got a pretty lucrative directing career as well. A full time series would pretty much eliminate any free time for his own projects when you consider JLA and DCU related films would be filming in between seasons. I'd love this but don't see it happening. That being said there are a ton of Vertigo properties that would make great HBO shows.

souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
shauner111
Side-Kick

No, but a prequel series or even a reboot post-Affleck could work wonders on HBO.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
SlackBrian
Party Gorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvlaki View Post
One flaw in this theory though. Even with movie actors transitioning to tv in recent years I don't see Affleck doing television given he's got a pretty lucrative directing career as well. A full time series would pretty much eliminate any free time for his own projects when you consider JLA and DCU related films would be filming in between seasons. I'd love this but don't see it happening. That being said there are a ton of Vertigo properties that would make great HBO shows.
Well, in a hypothetical situation, HBO would likely keep the seasons at 8-10 episodes each, like a lot of their major shows. McConaughey and Harrelson were able to commit to True Detective because it only had a commitment of 8 episodes for the season. That might free up time for Affleck to pursue his other projects. Hell, why not take the True Detective idea further, and make it a DC anthology series. Season one can be Batman with Affleck, and then each season after that can focus on a different hero and a different storyline, but still connected to the DCCU. That way Affleck is only committed to one season, and eight episodes, but the star power of Batman launches the series in a way nothing else really could. Then you can give the spotlight to other heroes that haven't received it before. Really build the universe.

Mind you, I don't think any of this will ever happen. I would love it if it did, but I'm not holding my breath. But if it did...

Twitter: SlackBrian
SlackBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Boom
I got nothin'

I pretty much need this to happen.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I'd love for there to be a Batman series on HBO, if only to help wash away the rancid taste of GOTHAM.

Honestly, I think this would be a brilliant idea, but it's still hard to picture it happening. Batman movies are just too profitable for WB and even though a true live-action Batman show would drive up HBO subscribers, I can't imagine it would hold a candle to the numbers a solo Batman film brings in. I think they will continue to treat Batman as a "big screen only" character as far as live action goes.

If this ever happened though, and it was truly done on the level of Sopranos/Boardwalk/GoT/etc...holy ****.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
shauner111
Side-Kick

Most will hate this idea, but if they're adamant about keeping Bats on film..

I would love to see a Blake/Nightwing series on HBO featuring JGL and Gary Oldman. Oldman is a huge fan (who isn't!?) of a lot of HBO shows including the latest True Detective. Imagine getting Jonah Nolan to write. Multiple directors (JGL's buddy Rian Johnson to direct some episodes like he did with Breaking Bad). Cary Fukunaga, Darren Aronofsky, etc.

Set it five years or so after Rises. 2 seasons. Hell, JGL is no stranger to television, and he could get in on some directing as well.

Yeah yeaaaah i know that character is not very popular around here but i would love this.

Last edited by shauner111; 10-16-2014 at 04:00 PM.
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I'd love for there to be a Batman series on HBO, if only to help wash away the rancid taste of GOTHAM.
Try as I might to get into that show, I just can't do it.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #9
weezerspider
Side-Kick

If it was an eight episode season and it was released every OTHER year, I think Affleck would do it. That's essentially shooting a Batman film every other year, which is what most likely will happen eventually anyway. If they had a different DC character series that aired during Batman's off years, fans would easily stick around.