The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #301
starkresilient
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

another chair photo but at least someone is actually sitting it lol

Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #302
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5

Uh oh, Joss said Ultron was funny. You guys know what that means...

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #303
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

I literally thought nothing of it until making the mistake of scrolling down the CBM comments... why do I continue to do such things?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #304
doglee80
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Here comes the **** storm..........

Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #305
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
I literally thought nothing of it until making the mistake of scrolling down the CBM comments... why do I continue to do such things?
Because you love pain.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #306
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Its weird how some people have no ability to see the big picture. One word out of several describing what will probably be a complex, layered character as opposed to "black n white evil robot" and they go crazy. I guess they dont think James Spader should actually play an interesting role, but just be your standard "sneering bad guy".

Last edited by TheVision; 04-24-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #307
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
It was a sorry sight. I was part of the discussion in the comments if you know who I am over there.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful, everyone screaming for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings...Strings...There are no strings on me"- Ultron

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 04-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #308
starkresilient
Side-Kick

Ultron will clearly be funny and snarky. He will tease the Avengers, play games with them and mess with their heads. James Spader is amazing and I am sure he'll have great fun while doing this role

Old 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #309
TheVision

Yep! Also I dont think you could make a movie out of the comic book version of Ultron and have it be satisfying for audiences. As cool as that character is on the page, a crazy psycho robot popping up, yelling at people and wreaking havoc would be very dull. There has to be more to him, hes got to have a complex personality along with the psycho killer aspect. Thats why James Spader was chosen, he's not gonna be a robotic Terminator clone. Im hoping that Ultron will be like Loki who we actually love even though hes the villain.

Last edited by TheVision; 04-24-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #310
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Yeah....Comic book fans get so angry at these type of changes. Glad I am not one.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #311
Pond
Side-Kick

Back in the late 1990, when Buffy became what the show could be at its peak, and from then on, one of the reasons he got praised as a writer, director and showrunner was for his mastery in being funny, dramatic, dark and painfull not only in the same episode, but sometimes in the same scene. Whedon was known as the guy who would make you laugh and cry allmost at the same time, and not only would the humour and drama not cancell each other, they would enhance each other. Thats part of his magic. Buffy was the show were you were laughing half of the epiosde and ended feeling devastated. Or the other way around.

So of course Ultron, both character and movie, will be funny. And dark. And sometimes, yeah... in the same scene.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #312
kosh33
MCU Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkresilient View Post
here are the full scans if anyone want to have them

Spoilers obviously

thanks starkr!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #313
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Why would it be upsetting? Over at Troll Central CBM the freaks are in a frenzy over Joss's comment, as usual. But it's a Whedon film. Even the darkest characters he creates have their humorous moments. Humor has become a negative buzzword where Marvel films are concerned, but they will always have that aspect to them. Fans need to lighten up.

As long as Ultron doesn't have an intern who has an intern who make out while Rome burns, it'll be fine.
BUT COMIC BOOKZ ARE NOT THE FUNNIE PAGEZ….

Sorry, catching up on the past couple of pages, but why anyone is freaking out over humor, especially in the Whedon context, is beyond me. Loki is one of the best villains, but he's also extraordinarily witty as well as unrelentingly badass. Redford, too, showed us similar deadpan wit that was used to great effect to balance out his villainy.

All of Whedon's best villains had some level of humor - even Ejiofor's in Serenity. Not slapsticky at all, but wit. Wit, people. There are other types of humor than just one-liners and situational comedy.

Spader can do dry cynical wit and sarcasm as Ultron, and, honestly… I'd be disappointed if he didn't demonstrate some sort of humor. Malice is served best when inviting the audience to (uncomfortably) laugh along with you, IMO.

Quote:
When Whedon mentions that Ultron is going to be funny I sense it will be akin to The Joker.
Or this, yes.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 04-24-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #314
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
It was a sorry sight. I was part of the discussion in the comments if you know who I am over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Yeah....Comic book fans get so angry at these type of changes. Glad I am not one.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #315
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Thing is... a character doesn't even need to be wisecracking to be a funny character. Some would offer that Thor is funny by way of his fish-out-of-water responses. As someone mentioned here, Tommy DeVito of Goodfellas is hilarious in a dark way; so is Jimmy Conway for that matter. Both Pesci and DeNiro in general can be viciously screaming at someone and it's both intimidating and hysterical if you have the sense of humor for it.

The shortsighted belief that creating a character with the trait "funny" means that they're wisecracking is nothing short of baffling.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #316
TheVision

I think James Spader will give Ultron a full personality which will show everything from pure evil to a sense of humor. I dont expect he will be a screwball comedian with the role, but Ultron will have that kind of dry biting wit that JS is known for. I think Joss will surprise everyone with his interpretation of the legendary maniacal bot for sure.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #317
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Thing is... a character doesn't even need to be wisecracking to be a funny character. Some would offer that Thor is funny by way of his fish-out-of-water responses. As someone mentioned here, Tommy DeVito of Goodfellas is hilarious in a dark way; so is Jimmy Conway for that matter. Both Pesci and DeNiro in general can be viciously screaming at someone and it's both intimidating and hysterical if you have the sense of humor for it.

The shortsighted belief that creating a character with the trait "funny" means that they're wisecracking is nothing short of baffling.
Yes. Agreed. People fail to realize that part of Joker's appeal as a villain is that he commits heinous acts and yet we laugh with him, even when he threatens to murder a hospital or a cityful of people. It's the type of humor that is meant to unnerve and make the audience feel complicit because it makes the villain actually appealing in a sense.

I like the TDK and Goodfellas comparisons. A lot.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #318
TheVision

Theres no way Joss didnt write Ultron in a way the audience will find intriguing and cool. The best villains are the ones you enjoy watching be bad.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #319
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

I think the cool part about his quote is that they're basically intent on making Ultron the opposite of your typical robot stuff - rather than cold and calculating, as I've heard him described by some fans. That stuff is getting very played, so I'm pumped for more jumbled emotion in an AI, rather than the old "logical fallacies drove me MAD!" angle.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #320
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Raymond Reddington is both a funny, charming, yet intimidating, extremely efficient and deadly personna. Just sayin'

Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #321
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
I think the cool part about his quote is that they're basically intent on making Ultron the opposite of your typical robot stuff - rather than cold and calculating, as I've heard him described by some fans. That stuff is getting very played, so I'm pumped for more jumbled emotion in an AI, rather than the old "logical fallacies drove me MAD!" angle.
Yes this. After "TranscenDO'H!" I'd much rather see a Whedonesque take on homicidal AI at this point too. I want my villains to have personality and something that I connect with; the best villains are the ones who do connect to the audience, even when they're destroying everything. Loki's not just a bad guy because of his inane plots. He has a major inferiority complex that I think a lot of us identifies with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
Raymond Reddington is both a funny, charming, yet intimidating, extremely efficient and deadly personna. Just sayin'
YEP YEP YEPPERS!! Hell, all of Spader's best characters have that deadly yet charming/witty thing about them.

Let me put it this way… I didn't lust after Andrew McCarthy or Duckie in Pretty In Pink; it was Spader's a-hole that stole my heart…

Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #322
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

A funny/creepy/inhuman/insane antagonist? Nah, that'll never fly...

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #323
alexlachiusa
Side-Kick

I personally believe that Joss described Ultron perfectly.

Since when has Ultron ever just been a cold, emotionless robot in the comics? He may resent emotions and humanity but the guy is driven by absolute hatred. He has also expressed love (in his own twisted way) in the past so he has always been so much more than "just a robot".

As for using the word "funny" when describing Ultron, I doubt we will see Ultron cracking jokes like Stark but I dare say his reactions to certain things will be humorous. Stuff like this:

Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #324
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

To the comics fanboys/girls, what are the definitive "classic" and "modern " Ultron arcs?

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #325
TheVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
Red Reddington and Ultron may actually be sorta similar in ways. I bet we'll see some Red in there with the other stuff.

The Avengers reactions to ULTRON will be great. How do you deal with a psychotic AI with a homicidal yet endearing personality? He will def get inside their heads big time

Last edited by TheVision; 04-24-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Closed Thread