The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 AM   #76
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,288
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
I don't see what the point of a plant is.
You're not going to convert an angry fanboy, and everyone else is either already onboard with the project (1%) or not on message boards/online to begin with (the other 99%) so whatever the circumstances you're whistling into the wind.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:36 AM   #77
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
I don't see what the point of a plant is. Trolling people who don't want to see a movie isn't about to convince them to go see it. God knows that nothing Ant-Manic has said has made me stop and say "Hmm, you know what? Even though this movie sounds like a complete turd, this person I've never met and whose opinion holds no weight for me is a fan of the four actors they've cast, so I think I'm going to see it even though those actors themselves mean absolutely nothing to me as I've never seen them in anything." I'm not saying he's a plant, but that's hardly the most winning strategy.

I wonder, though, assuming there have been plants, what the reaction was when they reported back and said that the general consensus for the movie the studio was working on was that it'd be garbage and people wouldn't go see it.
The plant is not always for the film in question....sometimes they are very much against it. We had a pretty good idea that we had a plant from another movie site that consistently trolled during the first film and was finally banned.

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Ö Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #78
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 21,623
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
I wonder if any fan anywhere would be interested in a FF movie that is minimalist? Even if they got the casting right and the ages and Doom etc---would fans want to see a low budget FF movie? And a movie featuring these characters with these powers at around $100 million would indeed be "low-budget".

isn't this a huge obstacle beyond all the other problems?

I think this could only be ever done right with a full on $180+ million budget anyway.

which sadly means even if they got certain things right they could never do right by the franchise anyway. IMO
They could do that if it were a TV series. You could get a one-off episode where Sue loses her baby (as she did in the comics - I forget what the child was called but I think it was after Franklin, and it wasn't Valeria). Reed could be comforting her and helping her go through her depression. There wouldn't be much action but mostly melodrama, and hence no need for special powers or effects.

But no-one wants to see a Lifetime movie on the big screen when it's supposed to be a comic book movie.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now  
Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #79
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,694
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

still no news? good!

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #80
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,017
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

In this rare case no news is good news

Donut is online now  
Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #81
Krystal
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 371
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

I know!--- this is suspenseful----the longer it goes where we hear nothing the better I feel, but I know at some point the shoe will drop and we will have actual proof it's filming and I'm gonna feel sick.

Krystal is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #82
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 5,196
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
This movie just will not have enough clout to seize any weekend and the spots where this movie might make a little hay are gone.

This movie is going to be low/medium budget--not a must-see for many people and will make modest $ even if it's fairly good.

That is probably why they are treating it like a step-child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
They could do that if it were a TV series. You could get a one-off episode where Sue loses her baby (as she did in the comics - I forget what the child was called but I think it was after Franklin, and it wasn't Valeria). Reed could be comforting her and helping her go through her depression. There wouldn't be much action but mostly melodrama, and hence no need for special powers or effects.

But no-one wants to see a Lifetime movie on the big screen when it's supposed to be a comic book movie.
I agree. How many comic-book based films can we point to over the past 10-20 years that have budgets at (and I'm guessing we're really talking below) $100 million that would be considered memorable and successful?

We might be able to come up with one or two (Hellboy, perhaps?), but for every successful example we could find in that range, there were 10 dogs.

Just based on that and nothing else, I would say a low-budget superhero film is basically a recipe for disaster.

Nobody wants to see them. They either want visual spectacles or they want nothing. People aren't interested 'grounded' superhero films.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #83
Spiderine
Business as Usual
 
Spiderine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In My Office
Posts: 3,531
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I agree. How many comic-book based films can we point to over the past 10-20 years that have budgets at (and I'm guessing we're really talking below) $100 million that would be considered memorable and successful?

We might be able to come up with one or two (Hellboy, perhaps?), but for every successful example we could find in that range, there were 10 dogs.

Just based on that and nothing else, I would say a low-budget superhero film is basically a recipe for disaster.

Nobody wants to see them. They either want visual spectacles or they want nothing. People aren't interested 'grounded' superhero films.
Maybe Fox is treating this film like Sony did with Grossrider 2. Smaller budget with a modest earning where they get to keep the rights away from Marvel longer

But Ghostrider is such a minor character with little impact to the MCU unlike the FF which could lead to more expansion of the MCU. Fox knows this. Which is why they will produce this abomination reap a small profit extending the rights. They simply don't really care about this franchise and will continue to focus on the real money maker which is the Xmen universe.

Spiderine is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #84
Orba
Side-Kick
 
Orba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 483
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

So what do people think this thing could actually make at the box office? The Hulk reboot only made $263 million and it had a decent cast, decent budget, and personally I would say it was a pretty good film. FFINO has a small budget for what the film needs, generally unpopular casting, and a messy production history that makes people question how good the final film will be.

Orba is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #85
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 5,196
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
Maybe Fox is treating this film like Sony did with Grossrider 2. Smaller budget with a modest earning where they get to keep the rights away from Marvel longer

But Ghostrider is such a minor character with little impact to the MCU unlike the FF which could lead to more expansion of the MCU. Fox knows this. Which is why they will produce this abomination reap a small profit extending the rights. They simply don't really care about this franchise and will continue to focus on the real money maker which is the Xmen universe.
It certainly seems like they're trying to get as much from the name with as little investment as possible, but that seems like a very short-sighted strategy to me.

FF could be their Spider-Man if they invested a little bit and put the right people on it. If they keep the budget low enough, sure, they can probably make a few bucks. But this property has the potential to bring in billions. If they make a few hundred million, they can point to that and, on paper, it looks like a success, but by not making these valuable rights live up to their potential, they're leaving A LOT of money on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orba View Post
So what do people think this thing could actually make at the box office? The Hulk reboot only made $263 million and it had a decent cast, decent budget, and personally I would say it was a pretty good film. FFINO has a small budget for what the film needs, generally unpopular casting, and a messy production history that makes people question how good the final film will be.
I'm not good at predicting box office numbers, but with no big name actors, no big-name director, no hype or buzz, likely minimal marketing effort and a poor release date, it seems like the only thing they have is the name - which isn't worth all that much after two weak previous films.

I don't know box-office numbers well enough to put one on it, but any objective analysis would have to put this at a low box-office return.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #86
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,288
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by orba View Post
so what do people think this thing could actually make at the box office?
$217.86

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #87
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,017
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Not even a penny is good enough for this ****

Donut is online now  
Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #88
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 5,196
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

First photo from the set (seriously, I think this is the first thing I've seen). Posted on Miles Teller's Twitter with the caption: "Exclusive first look at Fan4"


__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #89
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 21,288
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

I feel nauseous.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #90
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,217
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

I'm curious as to how much Fox is going to promote this film. Thus far they certainly aren't doing much to hype it. Are they going to throw good money after bad and spend a lot of money on advertising or are they just going to bury it using as little money as possible?

Kahran Ramsus is online now  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #91
Spiderine
Business as Usual
 
Spiderine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In My Office
Posts: 3,531
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
It certainly seems like they're trying to get as much from the name with as little investment as possible, but that seems like a very short-sighted strategy to me.

FF could be their Spider-Man if they invested a little bit and put the right people on it. If they keep the budget low enough, sure, they can probably make a few bucks. But this property has the potential to bring in billions. If they make a few hundred million, they can point to that and, on paper, it looks like a success, but by not making these valuable rights live up to their potential, they're leaving A LOT of money on the table.
Fox just seem disinterested from investing any more major money into this franchise even with its vast potential if done right. They also know the risk of doing a reboot this soon after 7 years on a film not well received by the general audience. Die hard comic book fans like me you and 90 percent of the people on internet forums already envision FF being reunited with Marvel. Therefore our anticipation of any film from them is low. It could be a great film with great casting for all I care but part of me still want it with MCU. I think others feel the same.

Thats why I think they are going the GR 2 route like Sony did. Downsize the budget and label this film some sort of new FF with a young twilight cast and appeal to a different audience and hope we still support it. Make a small profit and extend the rights from Marvel and maybe Marvel will bow down and make another deal knowing they would love to have Surfer/Galactus negative zone and even Doom.

Thats just my opinion. This is Fox we are talking about here. Any serious logical common sense from them is not present.


Last edited by Spiderine; 04-29-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Spiderine is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #92
K'Prime
Beast mode
 
K'Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 395
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

I die a little bit inside everyday knowing that this steaming pile is getting made

K'Prime is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #93
Orba
Side-Kick
 
Orba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 483
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

For some reason when I think about how I think the film will look (style wise) the film that keeps popping into my head is District 9. The gritty, almost documentary, found footagy look it had.

Orba is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #94
Orba
Side-Kick
 
Orba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 483
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

I'm not saying that I think that is how I think it should look, just that when I hear about what they have planned that is the film that pops into my head. The wrong shooting style to go with the wrong cast, seems about on par for FFINO.

Orba is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #95
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 5,196
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orba View Post
For some reason when I think about how I think the film will look (style wise) the film that keeps popping into my head is District 9. The gritty, almost documentary, found footagy look it had.
I think you're probably right. I'm thinking District 9/ Cloverfield / Chronicle maybe some Super 8. I think they'll try to play up the "Oh my God, what's happening to us?!?!" angle and make the drama mostly about that. Which is, of course, completely wrong for a film like this. The FF should be heroes - not obsessing over their problems.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #96
Spiderine
Business as Usual
 
Spiderine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In My Office
Posts: 3,531
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

I got a serious question for most of you. Would you be happy and content if it appeared this film that Fox is making looked like the ideal FF film you want to see get made? Meaning you were hearing good things about this production.

Or would you still want Fox to just not make this film at all? Abandon any attempt to do anything with this property. Knowing what will happen with this franchise going over to Marvel. Im just curious with some of your thoughts. Because right now the complaints stem from this sad pathetic attempt and disrespect to the brand. Would you be happy with Fox keeping it if that were the case.

Spiderine is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #97
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,947
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Or we will just get a bunch of cuts and edits in the trailers before something "big" would seem to be taking place, then people will go into the film and see that these money shots never existed in the first place.

Mr.M is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #98
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,217
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
I got a serious question for most of you. Would you be happy and content if it appeared this film that Fox is making looked like the ideal FF film you want to see get made? Meaning you were hearing good things about this production.

Or would you still want Fox to just not make this film at all? Abandon any attempt to do anything with this property. Knowing what will happen with this franchise going over to Marvel. Im just curious with some of your thoughts. Because right now the complaints stem from this sad pathetic attempt and disrespect to the brand. Would you be happy with Fox keeping it if that were the case.
If Fox were making a good adaptation of the Fantastic Four, I would be perfectly happy.

Kahran Ramsus is online now  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #99
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick
 
Ragnaroknroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,152
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
I got a serious question for most of you. Would you be happy and content if it appeared this film that Fox is making looked like the ideal FF film you want to see get made? Meaning you were hearing good things about this production.

Or would you still want Fox to just not make this film at all? Abandon any attempt to do anything with this property. Knowing what will happen with this franchise going over to Marvel. Im just curious with some of your thoughts. Because right now the complaints stem from this sad pathetic attempt and disrespect to the brand. Would you be happy with Fox keeping it if that were the case.
Thatís a very good question. To me the ideal situation is that rights revert and Marvel gives us a great FF film that is true to the source and is part of the MCU. I would be on Cloud 9 if that were to ever happen.

The second best scenario (and itís a very distant second) is that Fox gets their head out of their you-know-what, puts their money where their mouth is, and delivers not just a great film but a great Fantastic Four film.

The current situation? Worst of all possible worlds. No matter how bad this film will be, Fox will Ö wait for itÖ Still. Have. The. Rights.

For another 7 years. Utterly depressing.

Ragnaroknroll is offline  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #100
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 5,196
Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
I got a serious question for most of you. Would you be happy and content if it appeared this film that Fox is making looked like the ideal FF film you want to see get made? Meaning you were hearing good things about this production.

Or would you still want Fox to just not make this film at all? Abandon any attempt to do anything with this property. Knowing what will happen with this franchise going over to Marvel. Im just curious with some of your thoughts. Because right now the complaints stem from this sad pathetic attempt and disrespect to the brand. Would you be happy with Fox keeping it if that were the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
If Fox were making a good adaptation of the Fantastic Four, I would be perfectly happy.
Yep. Absolutely. I'd love it if Fox made a great film. There were times, before we knew the things we know now, that I thought that was possible (despite Fox's track record).

But with everything we know, I think it's impossible that I'll get the kind of film I want.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.