The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #326
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
I'm over here giggling at the thought of WB gambling with a multi-billion dollar franchise like this and not having any kind of plan whatsoever.

"We're going to wing it."
I don't blame some people for thinking that, it's pretty much what alot(if not the majority) of the media and pundits keep spewing. Bound to catch on eventually.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #327
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Well to be fair, as infuriatingly annoying as he is, Bieber started out writing his own songs (dunno if he still does). 90% of todays pop stars wouldn't even know how to construct a verse themselves.

Snyder's definitely got talent. But in terms of actual story telling? I can't pretend i'm 100% confident that he's the guy with the keys to the DC cinematic universe.

I was being a bit facetious It was just a comparison to show that just because one has a facility in one area (Bieber can sing "well" to be sure), does not ensure a facility in other areas (songwriting in this instance).

Yes, Snyder is "talented" and surely has a knack for building exciting, and inventive action scenes- but like you, I am not convinced by his CV when it comes to telling a story effectively.

Par Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #328
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Yeah this never happened
What didn't happen? Goyer did say there were no costumed heroes. Then a few monts later Batman is revealed as a seasoned crimefighter. This is an obvious contradiction.

And frankly, for me, no costumes = no superheroes. You need to draw the line somewhere.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #329
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsunyc View Post
i'm still not sure why dc handed over their entire franchise to snyder. they just don't have any plan and when execs don't have a solid long term plan (in any venture, movies, sports, tv shows)...it creates alot of head scratching moments.

watchmen was basically a comic book identically copied but you can't use that as a basis for snyder to be able to do comic book movies. and hearing how they came up with the idea for this movie just makes me very nervous. they were basically spit balling the whole thing. oh well, at least we are getting movies we always wanted as a kid...i guess that's the best thing to take away from all this.
What do you mean sports?

Pickleweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #330
fanboiii
disciple of truth

This Justice League build up was probably in the works as they were developing MOS. With the TV shows and movie slate they released, as well as the contracts actors signed, I think WB/DC has some sort of plan.

The difference is fans don't know where it all leads and that makes people anxious. With Marvel, they spell it out. Everyone knew the movies lead to Avengers, Ultron, Thanos, etc.

fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #331
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
This Justice League build up was probably in the works as they were developing MOS. With the TV shows and movie slate they released, as well as the contracts actors signed, I think WB/DC has some sort of plan.

The difference is fans don't know where it all leads and that makes people anxious. With Marvel, they spell it out. Everyone knew the movies lead to Avengers, Ultron, Thanos, etc.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Is Captain America: The first Avenger somehow not analogous to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #332
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par Avion View Post
Hindsight is 20/20.

Is Captain America: The first Avenger somehow not analogous to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice?
What do you mean hindsight? lol

Everyone knew since Iron Man 1 that it was going to build up to the Avengers. Can't say the same about MOS and we don't know much about Justice League.

Last edited by fanboiii; 05-23-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #333
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
What do you mean hindsight? lol

Everyone knew since Iron Man 1 that it was going to build up to the Avengers.
Really! Everyone, huh? Not just speculation by the fans on message boards (because it was definitely 100% confirmed that the Avengers was 100% happening at that point), but the GA as well, wow! I had no idea that "Iron Man" or "the Avengers" were such household names in 2008!

Hindsight bias:

Hindsight bias, also known as the knew-it-all-along effect or creeping determinism, is the inclination, after an event has occurred, to see the event as having been predictable.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #334
The Endless
WE are Groot

Marvel didn't even know Avengers was going to happen when they made Iron Man. They had to get a loan just to fund that movie.

The Sam Jackson cameo at the end was initially just going to be a nod to the fans and open up potential for Avengers.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #335
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20.

Marvel, since their big plan, have had to spell it out with subtitles and additional info as the GA's knowledge of their characters is not as wel versed as DC. Even if you don't know who Iron Man, Thor were as a GA and had no idea of their back history or place in the comic book universe, they would with Batman or Superman, much better brand awareness for a GA, hence the Marvel add on titles, First Avenger for example.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #336
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandon Knight View Post
Marvel, since their big plan, have had to spell it out with subtitles and additional info as the GA's knowledge of their characters is not as wel versed as DC. Even if you don't know who Iron Man, Thor were as a GA and had no idea of their back history or place in the comic book universe, they would with Batman or Superman, much better brand awareness for a GA, hence the Marvel add on titles, First Avenger for example.
Pretty much this.

TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #337
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
If that is so, why the "Dawn of Justice" subtitle?

I don't think GA awareness for the Justice League is much higher than it was for the Avengers before the film was released.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #338
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

GA Member: Justice League? What's that?
WB: Audience member, have you heard about the Superfriends?
GA Member: Yah.
WB: Same thing.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #339
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
If that is so, why the "Dawn of Justice" subtitle?

I don't think GA awareness for the Justice League is much higher than it was for the Avengers before the film was released.
As a DC fan over Marvel, my own awareness from early on was wider for DC, however I think your average GA would know the Justice League association with Superman, Batman, WonderWoman as the big 3 for example over The Avengers 'brand'.

If you asked GA audience who they thought the Avengers where previously, they would say, 'Oh you mean that godawful film with Sean Connery to do with the old 60's spy series'. Hence why here in UK, distinction had to be made on the title, daft as it was.

You won't find WB having to say Dawn of Justice, it's nothing to do with Rumpole of the Bailey folks !!

Old 05-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #340
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Marvel didn't even know Avengers was going to happen when they made Iron Man. They had to get a loan just to fund that movie.

The Sam Jackson cameo at the end was initially just going to be a nod to the fans and open up potential for Avengers.
They planned on it and it was their hope. They just didn't know if they were able go with it until Iron Man proved a success to make investors happy.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #341
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
As a DC fan over Marvel, my own awareness from early on was wider for DC, however I think your average GA would know the Justice League association with Superman, Batman, WonderWoman as the big 3 for example over The Avengers 'brand'.

If you asked GA audience who they thought the Avengers where previously, they would say, 'Oh you mean that godawful film with Sean Connery to do with the old 60's spy series'. Hence why here in UK, distinction had to be made on the title, daft as it was.

You won't find WB having to say Dawn of Justice, it's nothing to do with Rumpole of the Bailey folks !!

Now if you were to say "Super Friends", I would agree, as it has a place in the pop culture collective consciousness. The Justice League, whilst slightly less obscure to the GA than the Avengers perhaps, still isn't something I'd consider "widely known" in any way shape or form- Hence the WB's need to add the "Dawn of Justice" subtitle.

btw, I don't think the average GA member would remember the 98 Avengers film- let alone the television program from the 60's (though yes, in the UK the "Assemble" was added to avoid any preemptive "confusion". lol)

Old 05-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #342
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Smile Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Now if you were to say "Super Friends", I would agree, as it has a place in the pop culture collective consciousness. The Justice League, whilst slightly less obscure to the GA than the Avengers perhaps, still isn't something I'd consider "widely known" in any way shape or form- Hence the WB's need to add the "Dawn of Justice" subtitle.

btw, I don't think the average GA member would remember the 98 Avengers film- let alone the television program from the 60's (though yes, in the UK the "Assemble" was added to avoid any preemptive "confusion". lol)
Included that as I'm old.....

I mean the '98 reference not around for the 60's series, I'm old but not that old...

Last edited by Mandon Knight; 05-23-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additional notes
Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #343
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:

Put simply, Batman v Superman (without additional subtitle if required) would sell the film, Avengers on it's own wouldn't to a GA.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #344
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Put simply, Batman v Superman (without additional subtitle if required) would sell the film, Avengers on it's own wouldn't to a GA.
So Captain America without "the First Avenger" added or Avengers without "Assemble" (which isn't a subtitle), wouldn't have sold?

Old 05-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #345
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
So Captain America without "the First Avenger" added or Avengers without "Assemble" (which isn't a subtitle), wouldn't have sold?
Just making distinction between BvS and Avengers as discussion was between them only was it not ?

Old 05-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #346
TheBat812
Side-Kick

As far as the ga is concerned, most have no idea what the justice league is, nor did they know what the avengers was. It was and will be the films that make them aware of it. And that super friends example is equally hilarious as very few people in the ga younger than 30 will know what the hell that is.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #347
Par Avion
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
As far as the ga is concerned, most have no idea what the justice league is, nor did they know what the avengers was. It was and will be the films that make them aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
And that super friends example is equally hilarious as very few people in the ga younger than 30 will know what the hell that is.
True enough, but believe it or not, it's somehow worked it's way into the collective unconscious- mostly as a joke or a cheesy reference, but the awareness is there (for whatever it's worth).

Old 05-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #348
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:

Nope! The only reason I made a cameo was cause bald Whedon gave me a best buy gift card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
When I think Nightwing, I think intensity. But also a cute face, and a hot body to match. With Starfire, when I think of her, Madonna's song Girl Gone Wild comes to mind in how I feel about her.
Samuel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #349
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
Nope! The only reason I made a cameo was cause bald Whedon gave me a best buy gift card.
So the Chris Evans Captain America: TFA deal?

TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #350
Marvin
Side-Kick

This is the first I'm hearing of people not claim mcu had their well set plans in place from the start. Usually the point is made in relation to how 'unplanned' everything is over at DC. Who knew.

I for one took Fury's clap and mention of putting of a team together as just that. Some sort of super team, given the films they had announced around the same time of IM's release.