The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #376
matt47
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

oh man.........I screwed up. I meant the featurette thing where he and the actors talk alongside the movie. You know, the "journey of discovery" one?

matt47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #377
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

guise there was a batman meme in mos that means he was aready out there stop listening to the writer of the movie lol do you even lift bros

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #378
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Snyder knew about the Batman Easter egg after the fact, but when taken in context with the fact that Snyder and Co. have chosen to introduce Batman into the world of MoS, what was a visual Easter Egg put in by the VFX house now serves as after-the-fact evidence hinting at and justifying the character's existence in the MoS universe.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #379
tacit-ronin-
Moria Orc

Does anybody think that Zack might make a music video for the movie like what he did with watchmen?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
This thread is the Ebola of the Hype.

Ironically enough, much more so than the actual Ebola thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
This really is how the Unabomber got started. I guarantee it.
tacit-ronin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #380
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

In case you haven't heard, Neil deGrasse Tyson said recently that Watchmen is one of his favorite films.

"I don’t know if I am alone in thinking that “Watchmen” is the best-of-genre among all superhero films. I liked it because the characters had fully expressed, complex personality profiles. They experience love, hate, revenge, megalomania, moral anguish and trepidation. Nothing polished about them. For this reason, they were all more real to me. If the world really did have superheroes in it, “Watchmen” is the world it would be."

So there you have it. Since Tyson is smarter that any Zack Snyder-hating internet blogger/message board poster can ever hope to be, this should end the argument on whether he's a good director and whether Watchmen was a good adaptation.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:27 AM   #381
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

I ****ING LOVED Watchmen.

TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:28 AM   #382
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Same here. People who say it "got everything wrong" make me roll my eyes.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #383
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Watchmen is one of my favorites.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #384
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I liked Watchmen, but I have not watched it since the first time. I wish I could get a working copy of the Ultimate Cut here in Australia.

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #385
matt47
Side-Kick

This is sad but....I've never seen Watchmen from the beginning to end. :/
I...I don't know why..

matt47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #386
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Zack Snyder is definitely underrated as a director. A lot of commentaries dismiss him as good for spectacles/visuals and not much else, I've seen it written too many times that he has the mind of a 12 year-old boy, that he's dumb, that all of his movies are dumb, etc.

I disagree strongly.
- 300 was original as a CBM and is actually probably what Herodotus intended when he wrote the histories: it's military propaganda. By being so blatant, it actually subverts the more toxic military propaganda of mainstream Hollywood war films.
- Making Watchmen true to the source material was a rebellious act in an industry that historically liked to **** on source material. As an analogue. the Wachowski brothers made V for Vendetta into a dumb, ultra-heavy-handed American Liberal fantasy. If nobody else would have been able to follow the source material, then the fact he followed the source material is to be praised.
- Sucker Punch had some execution problems but ultimately the problem was that it was a message that people didn't want to hear. I just got the director's cut (20 additional minutes of footage) in the mail and look forward to seeing it;
- Nothing further needs to be written about Man of Steel;

I think his reputation will improve with time, as we're seeing with Watchmen. Part of that is that his fans will remember his movies better, but also sometimes time just helps. A good analogue might Paul Verhoeven. He was not respected in the mid 1990s, and Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers, and Showgirls were all seen as dumb, offensive films widely derided by critics who totally missed the point. 20 years later, each of those movies has enjoyed a revival in reputation.

A specific example, Starship Troopers was a satire of military propaganda, but most professional critics had absolutely no idea, they took it straight and felt it came off as dumb military propaganda. Look up all the articles nowadays praising the foresight of Starship Troopers. Honestly, I rewatched it recently, and I'm kind of dumbfounded that anybody of voting age could have missed the point.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #387
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Watchmen is a good adaptation, but is still not a good movie.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #388
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Watchmen is a great movie.

G.Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #389
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I also like Watchmen.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #390
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Watchmen is easily in my Top 5 comic book movies.

I still remember seeing the trailer for the movie. Hopefully the Batman vs. Superman trailer will be just as badass.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #391
LamboMan
Side-Kick

I'll add myself to the list of Watchmen fans here! I love that movie and it's definitely in my top 5 CBM's. It was a brilliantly executed film with so much size and scope to it, and Zack perfectly handled a HUGE number of characters with genuine effort and seriousness in an age when most CBM's are just another cash grab and are made to appeal to the GA, dumbing the characters down and turning their movies into comedies. That's why I love directors like Zack Snyder and Peter Jackson, the kind of guys who know how to make truly awesome movies on an epic scale while staying true to the feel of the source material. Also, their movies actually justify the huge amounts of money (like 200 million $) that go into these kinds of movies.

I'm so glad that ZS is being given the reins of the DC movie universe and can't wait for BVS and JL.

Thoughts and observations on MOS & MORE!
LamboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #392
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
In case you haven't heard, Neil deGrasse Tyson said recently that Watchmen is one of his favorite films.

"I don’t know if I am alone in thinking that “Watchmen” is the best-of-genre among all superhero films. I liked it because the characters had fully expressed, complex personality profiles. They experience love, hate, revenge, megalomania, moral anguish and trepidation. Nothing polished about them. For this reason, they were all more real to me. If the world really did have superheroes in it, “Watchmen” is the world it would be."

So there you have it. Since Tyson is smarter that any Zack Snyder-hating internet blogger/message board poster can ever hope to be, this should end the argument on whether he's a good director and whether Watchmen was a good adaptation.
While I like the film, citing one person's opinion of the movie as the definitive critique because of their celebrity status and intelligence, is just kissing ass.

According Wally Pfister, Christopher Nolan has also loved the Transformers films. I'm sure the internet world wouldn't just stop and go, "oh well in THAT case..." and widely accept them as good blockbusters because of it.

Between bashing Campea for his thoughts on Gadot, and praising Tyson for his sci-fi list, it's a little disconcerting how excited we can get over what is essentially just one individual's opinion on things. They're really not that important.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #393
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:

yeah, but what does he think about waterworld?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #394
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

The Dr. Manhattan origin sequence in Watchmen was pretty amazing. Hopefully he does something similar for the Flash.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #395
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
While I like the film, citing one person's opinion of the movie as the definitive critique because of their celebrity status and intelligence, is just kissing ass.

According Wally Pfister, Christopher Nolan has also loved the Transformers films. I'm sure the internet world wouldn't just stop and go, "oh well in THAT case..." and widely accept them as good blockbusters because of it.

Between bashing Campea for his thoughts on Gadot, and praising Tyson for his sci-fi list, it's a little disconcerting how excited we can get over what is essentially just one individual's opinion on things. They're really not that important.
You DO realize I wasn't being serious, right?

I just thought it was interesting that Tyson is a fan of the film, and if anything, it is proof that Snyder's films (some of them at least) don't just appeal to "dumb action movie fans" as some of his critics tend to imply. But I wasn't seriously suggesting that just because Tyson likes Watchmen, people who criticize Snyder are completely wrong.

For me, Snyder is hit or miss... I either love his movies or I hate 'em. Loved 300... wasn't crazy about the way the Persians were depicted by that's more Frank Miller's doing than Snyder's. Loved Watchmen; in my book, it's one of the best comic book adaptations to date. LOVED Man of Steel... while it has it's flaws, I still feel like it's the best Superman movie we've gotten since Superman '78 and I'm excited to see where this new Superman goes next. HATED Sucker Punch... that film was such a disjointed mess. I've heard that the theatrical version isn't what Snyder intended and there's a much better director's cut out there... but honestly, it's like the Daredevil film; if the original version I saw sucked, I'm probably not going to seek out an alternate version to watch. Had absolutely no interest in the owl movie.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #396
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:

I just thought it was interesting that Tyson is a fan of the film, and if anything, it is proof that Snyder's films (some of them at least) don't just appeal to "dumb action movie fans" as some of his critics tend to imply. But I wasn't seriously suggesting that just because Tyson likes Watchmen, people who criticize Snyder are completely wrong.
Oh, I wasn't wholly responding to you. I've just seen that sentiment displayed across the web this past day (and they weren't joking), so I was putting my two cents in on the matter. I'll make sure to note you're not one of the irrational ones.

Quote:
For me, Snyder is hit or miss... I either love his movies or I hate 'em.
Pretty much how I feel as well. He he has tremendous valleys and peaks, very little in-between. Hopefully he knocks it out the park from here on out, because the entire DC cinematic universe literally relies on it.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #397
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Watchmen easily makes my top 5

Pickleweasel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #398
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:

For me, Snyder is hit or miss... I either love his movies or I hate 'em. Loved 300... wasn't crazy about the way the Persians were depicted by that's more Frank Miller's doing than Snyder's. Loved Watchmen; in my book, it's one of the best comic book adaptations to date. LOVED Man of Steel... while it has it's flaws, I still feel like it's the best Superman movie we've gotten since Superman '78 and I'm excited to see where this new Superman goes next. HATED Sucker Punch... that film was such a disjointed mess. I've heard that the theatrical version isn't what Snyder intended and there's a much better director's cut out there... but honestly, it's like the Daredevil film; if the original version I saw sucked, I'm probably not going to seek out an alternate version to watch. Had absolutely no interest in the owl movie.
What about Dawn of the Dead?

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #399
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh, I wasn't wholly responding to you. I've just seen that sentiment displayed across the web this past day (and they weren't joking), so I was putting my two cents in on the matter. I'll make sure to note you're not one of the irrational ones.

Pretty much how I feel as well. He he has tremendous valleys and peaks, very little in-between. Hopefully he knocks it out the park from here on out, because the entire DC cinematic universe literally relies on it.
I feel like this movie will either scrap DC's future or give us an awesometacular Justice League movie

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #400
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:

Big difference between Nolan liking Transformers among thousands of movies he must like and Tyson calling Watchmen the best of a genre.