The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #26
Boom
I got nothin'

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

I would have killed for Gareth Edwards to take a crack at it.

But what's done is done. And frankly, after being here for near eleven years, I've learned it's better for my blood pressure if I approach everything with an open mind. I didn't like Man of Steel, but I'm hoping the involvement of Terrio and Affleck will be enough to elevate Snyder's talents to heights that I don't think he has ever been able to achieve.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #27
BvS117
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Let's wait and see how Godzilla is first. He's only directed 2 movies. Monster was alright and I'm hoping Godzilla is going to be amazing.

BvS117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #28
ShoguN
Side-Kick

I think Zack Snyder is going to have a field day with the jl characters. Hes gna be like a kid on xmas morning. Visually this movie will be taken care of. As much hype as this movie is getting i have no worries that everyone involved will bring there A-game. We are in for somthing epic.

ShoguN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #29
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoguN View Post
I think Zack Snyder is going to have a field day with the jl characters. Hes gna be like a kid on xmas morning. Visually this movie will be taken care of. As much hype as this movie is getting i have no worries that everyone involved will bring there A-game. We are in for somthing epic.
Yup. I think we're going to get 2 of the most visually stunning CBMs we may ever see.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #30
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post

But what's done is done. And frankly, after being here for near eleven years, I've learned it's better for my blood pressure if I approach everything with an open mind. I didn't like Man of Steel, but I'm hoping the involvement of Terrio and Affleck will be enough to elevate Snyder's talents to heights that I don't think he has ever been able to achieve.
That's close to how I feel. I really liked Man of Steel but recognize the flaws. I'm hoping Affleck's involvement helps elevate the development and Terrio polished the script.

I would've preferred Marvel's method of building a cinematic universe, but looking at Warner Bros' business model and how they need to budget money for more than comic book films each year, I understand why this approach is happening. At least one of the reasons.

As for whether it'll work or not, only time will tell. It's too early say yes or no. I'm keeping an open mind and can see a lot of the positives. But after a decade of being on here and reading the debates, participating and dealing with a lot of negative posts, I'm pretty burned out on debating. I'm just going to chill, wait and see.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
That's close to how I feel. I really liked Man of Steel but recognize the flaws. I'm hoping Affleck's involvement helps elevate the development and Terrio polished the script.

I would've preferred Marvel's method of building a cinematic universe, but looking at Warner Bros' business model and how they need to budget money for more than comic book films each year, I understand why this approach is happening. At least one of the reasons.

As for whether it'll work or not, only time will tell. It's too early say yes or no. I'm keeping an open mind and can see a lot of the positives. But after a decade of being on here and reading the debates, participating and dealing with a lot of negative posts, I'm pretty burned out on debating. I'm just going to chill, wait and see.

Exactly how I feel. MOS had its flaws but I still really enjoyed it and the most I can do is hope that the sequel is an even better movie. And there really is no reason to assume it won't be; plenty of these films were surpassed by the sequel in terms of quality (Captain America: TWS, TDK). I've been around here since the days of the ORIGINAL announcement of Batman vs. Superman (back when Wolfgang Petersen was involved) and while MOS might not have been a perfect movie, at least we didn't get a Superman movie where Krypton doesn't blow up, Jor-El guts himself to bring his son back to life, Lex Luthor is an alien, and the main antagonist is f***ing named TY-ZOR. Seriously, a million comic book villains to choose from, and they make up a new character with a dumber name than ALL of them?! And all of that came from screenwriting "genius" J.J. Abrams, who I do like, but usually only for the way he writes characters. The actual stories he comes up with either make almost no sense or are completely derivative.

Anyway though I'm tired of defending the merits of MOS with people who hated it or arguing with naysayers who believe this Superman/Batman movie will be a failure when they know nothing about the plot.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #32
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Exactly how I feel. MOS had its flaws but I still really enjoyed it and the most I can do is hope that the sequel is an even better movie. And there really is no reason to assume it won't be; plenty of these films were surpassed by the sequel in terms of quality (Captain America: TWS, TDK). I've been around here since the days of the ORIGINAL announcement of Batman vs. Superman (back when Wolfgang Petersen was involved) and while MOS might not have been a perfect movie, at least we didn't get a Superman movie where Krypton doesn't blow up, Jor-El guts himself to bring his son back to life, Lex Luthor is an alien, and the main antagonist is f***ing named TY-ZOR. Seriously, a million comic book villains to choose from, and they make up a new character with a dumber name than ALL of them?! And all of that came from screenwriting "genius" J.J. Abrams, who I do like, but usually only for the way he writes characters. The actual stories he comes up with either make almost no sense or are completely derivative.

Anyway though I'm tired of defending the merits of MOS with people who hated it or arguing with naysayers who believe this Superman/Batman movie will be a failure when they know nothing about the plot.
Yeah I'm looking forward to reading more story details than costume pictures. I want to know the plan. How does Batman appear? How does Wonder Woman appear Is it Darkseid? Mongul? What's the cliffhanger that brings the Justice League together? These are the discussions and topics I'm looking forward to, not the "they're not doing it the right way even though I have no idea what they're doing" stuff.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #33
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah I'm looking forward to reading more story details than costume pictures. I want to know the plan. How does Batman appear? How does Wonder Woman appear Is it Darkseid? Mongul? What's the cliffhanger that brings the Justice League together? These are the discussions and topics I'm looking forward to, not the "they're not doing it the right way even though I have no idea what they're doing" stuff.
I completely agree, I anxiously await those conversations. These forums have been somewhat exhausting post MOS, but I can't stay away

Romans 8:38-39
WoodyROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #34
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Man of Steel is probably my favourite of the Superman movies. I liked its direction - the increased action, score and performances - particularly Adams. But I'm not sure if it's a film I'd watch over and over. That's what I'm looking for with BvS and Justice League. I think with the Superman origin and Supe78 and Supe II elements out of the way, we can truly have a modern franchise standing on its own two feet.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #35
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

They can take Superman/Batman and JLA in exciting directions. Now that we have a action oriented Superman I can only imagine what we will get out of the new Batman. I'm absolutely excited for Justice League. I've been waiting for this for years....

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #36
EssayM
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamtron View Post
I don't see how one duo is better than the other...they both have created some great superhero fun, that has brought in some serious $$. Who do you think would be better to do it that has been proven to accomplish what these guys have?
Someone with a longtime relationship with and knowledge of DC, who also has (or works with someone who has) established credentials in film.

The difference is that not only do both Whedon and Feige anyway have limited creative control (Whedon only really works with the Avengers films and AoS, while Feige is mainly in charge of picking the right people and making sure the continuity all checks out), but both have earned their positions. Feige spent almost a decade working on every single Marvel film before he finally got involved with MCU. Whedon not only had prior acclaim as a writer-director, but had also written several comics for Marvel and even created a few characters.

By contrast, Snyder, while undoubtedly enthusiastic about superheroes, has very little experience with the broader DCU (unless you count Watchmen) and is just generally a mediocre filmmaker once you get past the cool visuals. Goyer does have comics experience from having written several of them...but his film credentials are pretty unimpressive outside of his collaborations with Christopher Nolan.

Again, I don't hate Goyer or Snyder, but for the guys to bring DC's rich and vast comics universe to the screen? Well, I was expecting someone a little more impressive, that's all.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #37
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Quote:
Yeah, if I hear one more "Batman and Wonder Woman and Cyborg and Aquaman... IS THIS EVEN A SUPERMAN MOVIE ANYMORE?" comment, I think my head is going to explode. It's entirely possible that this whole thing could turn into one big cluster****, but until I see actual evidence of that, I'm not going to panic. I just want to see the suits and get a sense of what the story is going to be.

I have a feeling we won't get anything substantial until Comic Con. However, I think they're going to make a BIG splash there (suit pics, concept art, etc.).

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #38
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

I was off the hype for a while when I heard the news of WW, Lex and Cyborg cast and was worried about the film becoming far too bloated and OTT but as I came on here and people were saying it's BvS and the rest are glorified cameos (except maybe WW?) I became a lot more cool about it and actually excited. I hope they do play it as 2 parts to a whole story rather than play them as standalone stories.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #39
Loki882
Side-Kick

We don't even know how large WW and Cyborg's roles will be. So it's way too early to call the movie "bloated." The only characters that are confirmed to have big roles in the movie are Superman and Batman. Lex Luthor will probably play an important role as well. That's three so far.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #40
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

So I must point that Snyder already did a team of superheroes movie and it was pretty solid.
I respect some fellas opinions. But IMO I find MOS and Watchmen better written, better adapted and with a more realistic tone than Avengers. MOS had much more emotional things than Avengers which I haven't found anyone from the last one that I can buy. But it's just cause IMO jokes between the dialogue (and in that quantity) is not good writting. overall I enjoyed Avengers but the last two I mentioned are superior on some parts.

And talking with some pals when they saw MOS, they got shocked with it, and obviously they need it to see it one more time, and just to share the opinion with you when I first saw MOS in my theater it got bow and yelling of happiness. the only one that they had the same reaction was TDK. Not even with Avengers I had that experience, so I guess there's good amount of audience that loved MOS.

Regarding to the Snyder cast for JL I think is a good thing. I haven't given my opinion cause yesterday was the bashing day for some.
So I think having a continuity seems that WB had confidence in what Zack, Terrio and Goyer had in mind.

Last edited by John-An; 04-28-2014 at 10:45 PM.
John-An is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #41
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Th Cool Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
Someone with a longtime relationship with and knowledge of DC, who also has (or works with someone who has) established credentials in film.

The difference is that not only do both Whedon and Feige anyway have limited creative control (Whedon only really works with the Avengers films and AoS, while Feige is mainly in charge of picking the right people and making sure the continuity all checks out), but both have earned their positions. Feige spent almost a decade working on every single Marvel film before he finally got involved with MCU. Whedon not only had prior acclaim as a writer-director, but had also written several comics for Marvel and even created a few characters.

By contrast, Snyder, while undoubtedly enthusiastic about superheroes, has very little experience with the broader DCU (unless you count Watchmen) and is just generally a mediocre filmmaker once you get past the cool visuals. Goyer does have comics experience from having written several of them...but his film credentials are pretty unimpressive outside of his collaborations with Christopher Nolan.

Again, I don't hate Goyer or Snyder, but for the guys to bring DC's rich and vast comics universe to the screen? Well, I was expecting someone a little more impressive, that's all.
This post is spot on.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #42
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, if I hear one more "Batman and Wonder Woman and Cyborg and Aquaman... IS THIS EVEN A SUPERMAN MOVIE ANYMORE?" comment, I think my head is going to explode. It's entirely possible that this whole thing could turn into one big cluster****, but until I see actual evidence of that, I'm not going to panic. I just want to see the suits and get a sense of what the story is going to be.

I have a feeling we won't get anything substantial until Comic Con. However, I think they're going to make a BIG splash there (suit pics, concept art, etc.).
Ocean's 11 had 11 characters...plus the ex wife and the bad guy and the film still focused on the two main characters and gave love to each character

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #43
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
So I must point that Snyder already did a team of superheroes movie and it was pretty solid.
Love your sig btw. I can't look at it and not be reminded of the great music in that scene. The music (and Superman's epic strutting and vocal delivery) always gets me so pumped up for the third act.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 04-28-2014 at 10:59 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #44
-Arya-
Batman v Superman - 2016

As much as I'm looking forward to SvB, I would have preferred some diversity with the creative team behind JL. I just hope Snyder can make each film feel distinct. Only time will tell.

-Arya- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #45
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Love your sig btw. I can't look at it and not be reminded of the great music in that scene. The music (and Superman's epic strutting and vocal delivery) always gets me so pumped up for the third act.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Thanks.
IMO is the best third act of a cmb so far. And yeah that was a pretty nice scene. Supes was so badass there

Last edited by John-An; 04-28-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #46
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post

Yeah I agree. I really really liked Man Of Steel but Snyder and Goyer's name really still don't provide me with a massive amount of confidence. Goyer seems fine when collaborating but on his own he can be very poor. There were some lines in MoS that are cringe inducing. Goyer was also only involved with the writing on BB as well for the TDK trilogy.

The thing is with BB and MoS that I've noticed which is a trend I really hope he leaves is that the first half of his films seem like a completely different film to the second! Look at MoS. Aside from the opening on Krypton there isn't much action to it. It's a character focused story on Kal. Then halfway through we are met with a scene from nowhere (the General being told about Zod's ship) that sets up the second half of the film which just ends up being an action extravaganza and you being like "woah what the...".
And the same with BB. First half a character piece on Bruce Wayne. Then a scene out of nowhere to build up part 2 (the scene in Wayne Enterprises with the guy talking about the boat and microwave) and then in to a more action heavy second half.
I just want a nice smooth narrative that lasts the film. Not a film that feels like halfway through Goyer says right action time! Also the difference is that with BB Nolan was skilled enough to still keep it on Bruce and small enough to not go too far. With Snyder and MoS he seemed to have the 12 yr old approach of more more MOREEEEE!!!!!

As people to build up this universe I wouldn't want JUST these two. Get someone whose involved with actual comics to oversee it. And I really don't see where the faith in Goyer comes from he's a great ideas man don't get me wrong. But his approach to pacing a script is personally all wrong to me. I cant see how WB have looked at Snyder/Goyer's list of works and gone "yep they are the guys for this!"

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #47
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
I cant see how WB have looked at Snyder/Goyer's list of works and gone "yep they are the guys for this!"
They look at the box office / experience.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #48
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
As people to build up this universe I wouldn't want JUST these two. Get someone whose involved with actual comics to oversee it.
Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Wesley Coller, David S. Goyer and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #49
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Someone just think if a solo movie, reboot that had to deal with other previous version not doing 1B just not right. I can question which of the first movies made a billion?

And by the way if they looked at Snyder and goyer and terrio is because they trust the realistic and grounded world of MOS

Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #50
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Wesley Coller, David S. Goyer and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.
Wasn't he also an exec producer on Green Lantern?