The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #126
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
No, because he got what he wanted, to have sex with her in a humiliating, degrading way.
And then he died, so what does it matter.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #127
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
1.these movies cost a a lot of money to make. it's part of the territory. they should have done their homework regarding the special fx if they were to spend a lot of money on it after all.

2. but that's why it's a problem. he's the one guy with which you could center a space bound film around. that's what it had going for it because the earth based/city based hero is old hat.
I agree with you, but I don't think movie studios think that way (or at least they didn't before Marvel changed the game with stuff like The Avengers). WB was trying to play the safest game possible here and leave the more fantastical stuff for sequels. Unfortunately for them, it backfired in every way possible.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #128
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
And then he died, so what does it matter.
He didn't think he was going to die.

Why did Zod bother trying to turn Earth into Krypton when he failed?
Why did Bane try to blow up Gotham because he failed too?

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #129
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I guess so. And that could be true. The Green Lantern name is poison. But i think if they give GL a role in Justice League and make him a Hulk in Avengers esque-scene stealer, it could get more interest for a solo film.

And if The Rock was the GL like some rumours? Yea i'd buy that for a dollar!
This! The only way GL can be salvaged right now is that one-two punch of 'show stealing' ala Hulk and/or DJ as the Lantern

Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #130
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Sith View Post
This! The only way GL can be salvaged right now is that one-two punch of 'show stealing' ala Hulk and/or DJ as the Lantern
Something that I do wonder about is that two of the supposed JL members (GL and Aquaman) need to be "salvaged". GL needs to be salvaged because the substandard movie didn't introduce him to the GA properly, and Aquaman has this negative stigma of being "lolololhetalkstofishes" guy.

If they cast The Rock as GL and Momoa as a ridiculously badass Aquaman I agree they could become like Hulk in Avengers where basically his only purpose is to add "badass" scenes to the movie. Not sure how some fans would feel about the characters effectively becoming nothing more than eye candy mechanisms though.

DeadPresident is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #131
Neonzel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
Something that I do wonder about is that two of the supposed JL members (GL and Aquaman) need to be "salvaged". GL needs to be salvaged because the substandard movie didn't introduce him to the GA properly, and Aquaman has this negative stigma of being "lolololhetalkstofishes" guy.

If they cast The Rock as GL and Momoa as a ridiculously badass Aquaman I agree they could become like Hulk in Avengers where basically his only purpose is to add "badass" scenes to the movie. Not sure how some fans would feel about the characters effectively becoming nothing more than eye candy mechanisms though.
The Rock already said he's not John Stewart.

Neonzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #132
shauner111
Side-Kick

Im cool with Rock as Green Lantern but i think it's best if he does his own seperate solo film for DC while Mamoa takes Aquaman and maybe Aaron Paul takes the Flash.

Chadwick Boseman is probably taking the Black Panther role. For those who want him for John Stewart.

Im starting to expect either no Green Lantern or Warner Brothers' second version of Hal Jordan.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #133
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I wonder if anyder might end up being burned out from all of this by the time jl is released. Mean the guy is in the process of having to make two of the biggest dc films of all time within the next 3-4 years from now. What I worry is that by the time snyder starts on jl, his creative mind won't be fresh as it needs to be due to having just finished svb

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #134
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I figured that since he had his own thread for "Man of Steel", that he should have one for this film as well.

Whether you love him or hate him as a Director, Zack Snyder has pretty much imprinted his name within the history books when it comes to comic book genre films.

To be the first Director that would have successfully and completely directed two Superman-related films, and to be the first one that will be responsible for not only bringing Wonder Woman to the big screen for the first time in cinema history... but to also be the one responsible for bringing both Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman onto the same live action film for the first time in cinema history.
still 2 years to go to prove that. he might be dropped half way like Donner.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #135
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Can art criticism be truly objective?

Is art?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
Know it was a joke, but just throwing it out there:

I don't think art criticism can ever be objective. Everyone has different tastes.
Exactly my feeling.

I'm dancing the Batusi in front of Bane Hardy
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #136
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

If they would announce Martian Manhunter as a character......................................... ............ Celebrations across the DC nation!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #137
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I know it won't happen, but I would be so happy with a Booster Gold/Blue Beetle reunion. It would bring some great humor to the team, and a real sense of brotherhood.

I'm dancing the Batusi in front of Bane Hardy
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #138
JDklip
Side-Kick

Having been on the boards through the hype and release of Superman Returns and Man of Steel, it's amazing to me how the same attitudes and arguments either for or against directors repeats itself.

I don't hate Snyder, and I've enjoyed a lot of his films (including MOS). But the fact of the matter is none of his films are on the level of The Dark Knight, or Lord of the Rings, or the original Star Wars trilogy. And I'm not talking about critically or commercially, I'm talking about those movies that all of us on this board (or most of us anyway) own and look forward to watching ever few months, or every year. They're stories that stay with us, that mean something to us. They're those classic films that made us fans of science fiction, or fantasy or superheroes in the first place.

I'm not saying don't be cautiously optimistic. You should be. Because BvS could always turn out amazing, and Snyder could deliver a modern classic. But for those of us who are concerned, it's not like we have nothing to go on. We've seen this filmmaker's body of work. Most of us ignored naysayers and our own reservations for Man of Steel because we wanted to see Snyder's specific work on Superman. But now, we have Man of Steel. We've seen what Snyder can do with Superman. What reason is there to expect anything different in the next outing?

I know the first thing people will shout out are "Affleck and Terrio." Yeah, maybe. But it's the same argument as "Christopher Nolan is producing MOS and will keep things in line." For Returns, we had Bryan Singer directing and his same team of writers who made X2. I'm just calling out the very recent history behind these productions. Why do some fans feel the need to ignore it all?

I mean, we can all agree that without a solid story, without being invested in the characters, there is no amount of slick action that can make a film good right?

JDklip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #139
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Hope Springs Eternal.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #140
JDklip
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Hope Springs Eternal.
Not sure if this is meant to be sarcastic, but there's a difference between hoping for the best and willful ignorance.

At the end of the day, this is just a movie. We're lucky to be fans of such a wonderfully rich character like Superman. We all know he'll endure and we'll get other interpretations of him down the line. But even as few and far between as those are, that doesn't mean we have to settle for mediocrity just because it can take anywhere from 6 - 30 years between reboots.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #141
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDklip View Post
Having been on the boards through the hype and release of Superman Returns and Man of Steel, it's amazing to me how the same attitudes and arguments either for or against directors repeats itself.

I don't hate Snyder, and I've enjoyed a lot of his films (including MOS). But the fact of the matter is none of his films are on the level of The Dark Knight, or Lord of the Rings, or the original Star Wars trilogy. And I'm not talking about critically or commercially, I'm talking about those movies that all of us on this board (or most of us anyway) own and look forward to watching ever few months, or every year. They're stories that stay with us, that mean something to us. They're those classic films that made us fans of science fiction, or fantasy or superheroes in the first place.

I'm not saying don't be cautiously optimistic. You should be. Because BvS could always turn out amazing, and Snyder could deliver a modern classic. But for those of us who are concerned, it's not like we have nothing to go on. We've seen this filmmaker's body of work. Most of us ignored naysayers and our own reservations for Man of Steel because we wanted to see Snyder's specific work on Superman. But now, we have Man of Steel. We've seen what Snyder can do with Superman. What reason is there to expect anything different in the next outing?

I know the first thing people will shout out are "Affleck and Terrio." Yeah, maybe. But it's the same argument as "Christopher Nolan is producing MOS and will keep things in line." For Returns, we had Bryan Singer directing and his same team of writers who made X2. I'm just calling out the very recent history behind these productions. Why do some fans feel the need to ignore it all?

I mean, we can all agree that without a solid story, without being invested in the characters, there is no amount of slick action that can make a film good right?
Complaining that none of ANY director's works are as epic as TDK, LOTR, or the original SW trilogy is like complaining that there aren't enough lottery winners. Very few directors can hope to create something culturally meaningful and legendary. For LOTR and Star Wars, those films embraced a mythological fantasy that extends through multiple movies. For the TDK (I am assuming you mean the trilogy) films, Nolan created a version of Batman that could be told in three movies, with themes that arguably progress in each movie, with an ensemble of memorable actors.

If we're talking about JUST about TDK 08', a lot of things happened. Fresh writing talent (Jonah Nolan), an emphasis on the crime element, Heath Ledgers performance, and Goyer leaving to do the unborn :P

Also, I felt like Nolan was the most excited to make TDK, and it feels the most Nolanesque of the films, though I think Begins is where the direction really shines.

If we're looking for another TDK, we set ourselves up for disappointment. It's best to just want a good film, and be pleasantly surprised if it's great

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #142
JDklip
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Complaining that none of ANY director's works are as epic as TDK, LOTR, or the original SW trilogy is like complaining that there aren't enough lottery winners. Very few directors can hope to create something culturally meaningful and legendary. For LOTR and Star Wars, those films embraced a mythological fantasy that extends through multiple movies. For the TDK (I am assuming you mean the trilogy) films, Nolan created a version of Batman that could be told in three movies, with themes that arguably progress in each movie, with an ensemble of memorable actors.

If we're talking about JUST about TDK 08', a lot of things happened. Fresh writing talent (Jonah Nolan), an emphasis on the crime element, Heath Ledgers performance, and Goyer leaving to do the unborn :P

Also, I felt like Nolan was the most excited to make TDK, and it feels the most Nolanesque of the films, though I think Begins is where the direction really shines.

If we're looking for another TDK, we set ourselves up for disappointment. It's best to just want a good film, and be pleasantly surprised if it's great
I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't expect masterpieces left and right. I'm just saying that those of us disappointed with what Snyder had to offer have a leg to stand on when we criticize him. It's not about being a Debbie Downer, it's about acknowledging the capabilities of this particular filmmaker based on his body of work (on his other films but especially on Superman, which we now have a concrete example of) and facing the truth of that.

I wasn't referring to the TDK trilogy, but just TDK the 2008 film. Having multiple films doesn't mean anything when it comes to dealing with the themes and ramifications you present in just 1. Sequels can continue on with those themes (as TDKR took on that theme of fear from BB), but I hate the argument of "they'll deal with it in the next one," when filmmakers clearly drop the ball and don't deal with the issues they present.

Again, I'm not saying don't hope for a good film. We all want a good film. Even the trolls want a good film. I'm just saying we shouldn't blind ourselves to the evidence of Snyder's interests and capabilities. Hell, I guess what I'm really saying is we should all temper our expectations. So in a sense, I'm with you. Hope for the best.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #143
bluerayer
The Steel Claw

Like i said in another thread, posting it here since it belongs here: I do think Snyder is good with casting/directing actors. Look at the Watchmen movie, even if you dont like Malin Akerman,(I do) there's Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Comedian, Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan, Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl II and last but certainly not least Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach.(Who's performance was worthy of an Oscar nomination, IMO!)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
bluerayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #144
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yes. I would put Haley's performance up there with Ledger's Joker.

The only performance in Watchmen that didn't quite work for me was Matthew Goode as Ozymandias. I like Goode a lot as an actor, but I felt like he was slightly miscast there. Everyone else though was great, IMO.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #145
bluerayer
The Steel Claw

Yeah, i kinda agree about Matthew Goode but once i got around the fact that he was doing his own thing with the role, i was ok with him. I mean: He was good but he wasn't Ozy from the comic. I still wonder what Tom Cruise would have been like as Ozymandias.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #146
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yeah, that would have been interesting seeing Cruise with blonde hair and a superhero costume.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #147
batman_1989_
Side-Kick

Jude Law as Ozy would have been interesting IMO.

batman_1989_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #148
bluerayer
The Steel Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, that would have been interesting seeing Cruise with blonde hair and a superhero costume.
He was blonde in Interview With The Vampire. Cruise was interested in the movie but i read that he wanted to play Rorschach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman_1989_ View Post
Jude Law as Ozy would have been interesting IMO.
Hmm, yeah i could maybe see that. If he had trained some for the role maybe.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #149
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Re-posting my comment from the Ben Affleck as Batman thread and slumcat's response to it, in case he wants to continue that discussion.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, you're entitled to your opinion and I agree on some points (Browning, Goode, the fact that Snyder is more of a visual stylist than an actor's director). But like many other posters, I feel there have been numerous great performances in Snyder's films -- particularly Butler, Haley and Cavill.

With Cavill in particular, I'm not really interested in whether or not he gave an "Oscar calibre" performance, because that's not necessary in this role. The challenge was to look and act like Superman, and Cavill absolutely embodied the character to the point where I don't feel like anyone could have offered a better performance than he did. The role of Superman isn't showy anyway.

I do have to take issue with your assessment of Ackerman's performance as Silk Spectre II, which seems a little hyperbolic. This is something I read in a lot of reviews of Watchmen, and for the life of me I can't understand people's criticisms. I'm not saying Ackerman is Meryl Streep, but I'm puzzled why people think it was such an awful performance. For me, she embodied the character, looked and acted the part and was perfectly convincing in her emotional scenes.

But really, this seems to be a problem across the board with superhero movies. Unless your name is Emma Stone, it almost always seems to be the female lead who is dismissed as the weakest link in superhero movies, often singled out for dismissal while the male actors win critical accolades. What I think this overlooks is the fact that the female leads in superhero movies are almost always saddled with the thankless role of "love interest", and there's only so much you can do with that.

Amy Adams is a good example. I thought she was the best Lois Lane yet, and yet a lot of people seem to have a problem with her performance when if anything, it's the screenwriting that would be more at fault. In that case, we should criticize Goyer, not Adams (of course, the point is moot if you're not a fan of Amy Adams in anything).

Anyway, I'm pretty confident Ben Affleck will offer a great performance as Batman. Snyder can do the dark vigilante thing (Rorschach), while Affleck was fine as Daredevil (whatever you thought of the movie itself) and is a huge Batman fan. So I'm not worried.
A wonderful post and I would continue the discussion but lets not violate the sanctity of this thread by our off topic posts any further.
I have to agree with TheFlamingCoco that JDklip might be setting the bar a little high by saying Snyder doesn't have any films as good as LOTR, TDK or the original SW trilogy. But then, you could have said the same about Nolan before TDK.

Personally and I know this is an unpopular opinion I would take Man of Steel over Batman Begins any day. Sure, it's probably just that I'm a bigger Superman fan, but I just find myself getting more involved in the movie and the stakes feel like they matter more. The former also has a much more interesting villain and love interest, as well as a more convincing relationship with the hero's parents featuring better actors (does Bruce's mother even have any lines in BB before she dies?).

BB is well done, to be sure, but I've always felt that there was something vaguely contrived about the dialogue. The speeches that characters give in BB sound like something a screenwriter came up with, not something a real person would say (a problem that runs throughout the Dark Knight trilogy). In MOS, even though you have similar kinds of speeches (characters telling Clark how important he is, etc.), they just feel more natural somehow, which is funny considering Snyder is often dismissed as a visual stylist who can't direct actors while Nolan is viewed in the opposite way.

Anyway, my point is that plenty of people were pleased with BB and when Nolan was given another try, he gave us TDK. I'm not saying that BvS will reach that level there appears to be more corporate interference propelling the filmmakers towards a Justice League film, inevitably making the film more of a product than a personal artistic statement but the fact that I preferred MOS over BB means I'm feeling optimistic.

Ultimately, this post expresses my feelings on the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDklip View Post
At the end of the day, this is just a movie. We're lucky to be fans of such a wonderfully rich character like Superman. We all know he'll endure and we'll get other interpretations of him down the line.
Exactly. It's just a movie, and even in a worst-case scenario, if they were to make bad or mediocre Superman movies from here on out, I will always have S:TM, SII and MOS. When you consider some of the crap blockbusters Hollywood churns out I'm looking at you, Transformers MOS stands as a superior example of modern pop mythology. And even the Transformers movies have their place; sometimes people just want mindless action fun. If the future DC movies were on that level (again, hoping they can do better than that), that would still indicate that they're at least entertaining.

These movies don't have to change my life; they just have to entertain me for a few hours. Still, it's always better if we have a really good movie, and while I will fully acknowledge the flaws of MOS, speaking personally, that movie left an impression on me and continued my appreciation for Zack Snyder as a filmmaker. Looking forward to the sequel.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #150
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
Re-posting my comment from the Ben Affleck as Batman thread and slumcat's response to it, in case he wants to continue that discussion.

I have to agree with TheFlamingCoco that JDklip might be setting the bar a little high by saying Snyder doesn't have any films as good as LOTR, TDK or the original SW trilogy. But then, you could have said the same about Nolan before TDK.

Personally and I know this is an unpopular opinion I would take Man of Steel over Batman Begins any day. Sure, it's probably just that I'm a bigger Superman fan, but I just find myself getting more involved in the movie and the stakes feel like they matter more. The former also has a much more interesting villain and love interest, as well as a more convincing relationship with the hero's parents featuring better actors (does Bruce's mother even have any lines in BB before she dies?).

BB is well done, to be sure, but I've always felt that there was something vaguely contrived about the dialogue. The speeches that characters give in BB sound like something a screenwriter came up with, not something a real person would say (a problem that runs throughout the Dark Knight trilogy). In MOS, even though you have similar kinds of speeches (characters telling Clark how important he is, etc.), they just feel more natural somehow, which is funny considering Snyder is often dismissed as a visual stylist who can't direct actors while Nolan is viewed in the opposite way.

Anyway, my point is that plenty of people were pleased with BB and when Nolan was given another try, he gave us TDK. I'm not saying that BvS will reach that level there appears to be more corporate interference propelling the filmmakers towards a Justice League film, inevitably making the film more of a product than a personal artistic statement but the fact that I preferred MOS over BB means I'm feeling optimistic.

Ultimately, this post expresses my feelings on the matter:

Exactly. It's just a movie, and even in a worst-case scenario, if they were to make bad or mediocre Superman movies from here on out, I will always have S:TM, SII and MOS. When you consider some of the crap blockbusters Hollywood churns out I'm looking at you, Transformers MOS stands as a superior example of modern pop mythology. And even the Transformers movies have their place; sometimes people just want mindless action fun. If the future DC movies were on that level (again, hoping they can do better than that), that would still indicate that they're at least entertaining.

These movies don't have to change my life; they just have to entertain me for a few hours. Still, it's always better if we have a really good movie, and while I will fully acknowledge the flaws of MOS, speaking personally, that movie left an impression on me and continued my appreciation for Zack Snyder as a filmmaker. Looking forward to the sequel.
I'd say that Batman Begins is overrated and Man of Steel is underrated. Among top critics, they're not that different though, in fact they're statistically indistinguishable:

Batman Begins (2005), 63%, 6.5/10, 35 reviews
Man of Steel (2013), 62%, 6.2/10, 37 reviews

Good posts as always, Ayl Van Six.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote