The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Rike
Something strange here?

Thumbs up The OFFICIAL Mole Man/Tim Blake Nelson Thread

Quote:
Tim Blake Nelson is in final negotiations to join the cast of 20th Century Fox’s reboot of The Fantastic Four.

Josh Trank is directing the movie, which once again focuses on the Marvel Comics quartet of scientist-adventurers Reed Richards (Miles Teller), aka Mr. Fantastic; his best friend Ben Grimm (Jamie Bell), aka The Thing; his girlfriend Sue Storm (Kate Mara), aka The Invisible Woman; and her brother, Johnny (Michael B. Jordan), aka The Human Torch.

Toby Kebbell is playing the villain, Doctor Doom.

Nelson will play Harvey Elder, an eccentric and socially awkward scientist.

In comics lore, Elder is actually the Mole Man, shunned by humanity and leader of a subterranean group of monsters known as the Moloids.

Sources say the Mole Man will not appear in this movie but Elder’s appearance does set up the character to be the villain in future installments of the franchise. Fox did not comment on the plans.

Simon Kinberg wrote the script and is producing with Hutch Parker.
SOURCE

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: The OFFICIAL Mole Man/Tim Blake Nelson Thread

This Is name of 616 version by the way.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

I like how this will be his second comic book movie where he's just a odd scientist who eventually is supposed to turn into a super villain for a potential future movie.

Team Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Andino View Post
I like how this will be his second comic book movie where he's just a odd scientist who eventually is supposed to turn into a super villain for a potential future movie.
I feel bad for the guy. He's getting cast in another superhero movie setting him up as a major villain in future sequels... that won't happen.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
I feel bad for the guy. He's getting cast in another superhero movie setting him up as a major villain in future sequels... that won't happen.
And you know that how they are finalzing casting.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

Because this movie won't get sequels.

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

How do you know that?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Rike
Something strange here?

He doesn't.

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
EssayM
Just A Guy

Throwing this out there:

If they're following UFF (or even if they're not), perhaps this could mean that Moleman will be the main villain in this film, with Victor being set up to become Doom in the sequel. That would answer a lot of complaints about them using Doom too early.

Or it could be the other way around, with Doom being the main antagonist and Moleman being the setup. From the article, it seems like that could be the case.

Either way, I'm kind of glad Nelson is here instead of playing The Leader. His performance in TIH was pretty annoying, but maybe he'll do better here.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
How do you know that?
No one knows how the film will do. But look at what this film is up against - Extremely challenging summer release date, Fox/Marvel film opening between two Marvel/Marvel films, opening the same week as a Pixar film, bad taste of prior FF films still on public's mind, sequel of prior duology suffered a significant box office decrease, cast bears no resemblance to the classic 616 team, talented but extremely raw director, rumored low budget, oxymoronic "grounded" Fantastic Four presentation, no tie-in merchandise like the Story films, no crossovers with other Marvel characters, multiple script rewrites, production announced in 2009 and delayed for over half a decade, no studio announcements since Trank was named director, strong negative reaction from comic book movie Fanbase......whew!

It doesn't take a genius to determine that this FOX FF rights grab is a one-and-done.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
HUMANIMAL

MY FANART AND MANIPS

Last edited by HUMANIMAL; 04-30-2014 at 10:04 PM.
HUMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I'm stil bugged they never followed up with the Leader thing. This is an interesting role for Nelson but that will always nag at me.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
The Villain
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I'm stil bugged they never followed up with the Leader thing. This is an interesting role for Nelson but that will always nag at me.
I thought that if a sequel was planned he was to be The Leader. You got that little tease at end of The Incredible Hulk of his head changing shape.

Maybe its Marvel's way of apologising for not doing the sequel & offering him another bigger role.

Hope he becomes the Mole Man later on.

The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
They even could of had him show up in Agents Of Shield or something or a one shot film.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #16
Krystal
Side-Kick

Take the worst thing about TIH and add it to this reboot----classic.

Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
EssayM
Just A Guy

To be fair, this will probably be a more appropriate role for Tim. From what I've seen him in, he seems a little too weaselly and not intelligent enough to play the Leader. I just can't see him being a cold, calculating villain. But he might be better suited to a role where he's supposed to be slimy and revolting.

Also, if we're going by UFF continuity, I believe Moleman was deformed even before he went into the sewers, so it will be interesting to see what sort of makeup job (if any) they give him in this film.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
Take the worst thing about TIH and add it to this reboot----classic.
Yeah......ok.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
To be fair, this will probably be a more appropriate role for Tim. From what I've seen him in, he seems a little too weaselly and not intelligent enough to play the Leader. I just can't see him being a cold, calculating villain. But he might be better suited to a role where he's supposed to be slimy and revolting.

Also, if we're going by UFF continuity, I believe Moleman was deformed even before he went into the sewers, so it will be interesting to see what sort of makeup job (if any) they give him in this film.
I'd agree. The role I know him best for is 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou', and he wasn't very bright in that, so it was a little hard seeing him as The Leader.

I think he's a good actor, and he should be able to do a good job, but he certainly doesn't physically match the role. I'm not sure how important it is that moleman be as heavy as he's typically portrayed but TBN is certainly a lot skinnier than any versions of Moleman we've ever seen.

In some ways that might be good to set him off some from Danny Devito's Penguin.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
the gael
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sources say the Mole Man will not appear in this movie but Elder’s appearance does set up the character to be the villain in future installments of the franchise. Fox did not comment on the plans.
Translate : Tim Blake Nelson would have been a good Mole Man for Fox, but you will never see him on screen (so it will spare Fox a lot of money) because the movie won't have any sequel after the big flop...

the gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

I like Tim Blake Nelson but I feel bad that he is having to settle for a role almost identical to his last comic character - nerdy scientist who gets set up in the first film to be a super villain in a sequel that may never happen?

Having said that I agree with others that I never really pictured him as the Leader. He comes across as too goofy and comedic to me. I don't mind him being that way pre-transformation but post-transformation due to his higher intellect he should ditch any earlier persona in favor of a more calculating almost emotionless one. Of course he is an actor so I'd have to believe he could pull off the more serious role but it's hard to look past perception. (Case in point - the entire FF cast.)

So as annoyed as I am that Fox is poaching MCU actors and as much as I hate recasts, this probably isn't a huge loss. I'm worried though that by the time they get around to a Hulk sequel that not one actor will be the same. Who would return? Personally I liked Roth, Hurt and Tyler so I hope they at least come back.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #22
JP
Smelly

Not much of a TBN fan, but yeah he seems more suited for this role than The Leader.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
fantastic fifth
...just in case...

http://collider.com/fantastic-four-m...-blake-nelson/

Though development on the film has been ongoing for some time, director Josh Trank (Chronicle) and 20th Century Fox are finally ready to move forward on the reboot The Fantastic Four, as the pic is poised to go in front of cameras in just a few weeks. The principal cast is set with Miles Teller as Mr. Fantastic, Kate Mara as Sue Storm, Michael B. Jordan as Human Torch, Jamie Bell as The Thing, and Toby Kebbell as the villainous Dr. Doom, but just a couple of days ago we learned of another exciting addition to the ensemble: Tim Blake Nelson as Harvey Elder aka Mole Man.

He says....“Without going into detail, the script has as much soul as it does action, and it has a lot of action. We’re all going to have a blast making it.”

fantastic fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #24
JP
Smelly

“I absolutely loved working on Hulk and feel extremely blessed that Marvel, Fox, and especially (Fantastic Four director) Josh Trank and his team have invited me back into the universe. The script is excellent. It has real heart, and it shows a true understanding of what it is to be a burgeoning adult geeked out to the margins.”

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #25
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Hmmm - He's speaking past tense about the Hulk. I wonder what that means then for the franchise. Supposedly a Hulk sequel is in the works but not until after Age of Ultron since Marvel had its Phase 2 planned before Ruffalo Hulk became a sensation.

Sounds like TBN is grateful for the work anyway.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote