The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Which Green Lantern should be used?
Hal Jordan 80 52.98%
John Stewart 61 40.40%
Other 10 6.62%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Which Green Lantern should be used?

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Rorschach2012
$

Default Which Green Lantern should be used?

Green Lantern is sure to make an appearance in either BvS: DOJ or Justice League. Which Green Lantern should it be?
:hal:

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Default Re: Which Green Lantern should be used?

Haha yeah Geo Force is lame. Major Force is kinda cool though, if only because he's a psychopath.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Rorschach2012
$

Default Re: Which Green Lantern should be used? - Part 1

Hal Jordan still makes the most sense, he's the central Green Lantern, and he's one of the most important characters in DC comics period.. The GL universe revolves around Hal. Without Hal, you basically lose any emotional resonance the central antagonist (Sinestro) could provide.

Other Lanterns could work, but they'd have to steal Hal's relationship with Sinestro.

John Stewart works when he's written well (JL animated series), but outside of that series, there are few appearances from John Stewart that establish him as a solid lead Green Lantern. Outside of the animated series, John Stewart is pretty unimportant compared to Hal and Kyle.

Kyle has a history in the comics as being a very important Green Lantern, second only to Hal Jordan. His story works best when Hal has already been introduced though. Kyle's got a history with the JLA as well. Kyle and Wally's relationship is something I'd love to see on the big screen... But still, I feel like both Kyle and Wally work best once Hal and Barry have been established.

Guy can work, but I'd prefer Hal, John, or Kyle

I'm almost certain it will be Hal though. The movies are probably doing the New 52 lineup

Old 06-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
mace1
Side-Kick

Quote:
DOBSON10

So for me, and the majority of fans/general audience (even if it's a slim majority advantage, which I don't think it is) those 6 have to be there first and foremost. You could put Manhunter, Cyborg and John Stewart (and an extra female character or two as well since that's another part of the diversity debate) in the movie and I would have zero problem with it. But everyone wants the big guns in the movie and unfortunately for those that want more diversity, the most popular characters just happen to be white. Personally I don't care what color the characters are, I just want the most interesting characters. The most interesting black characters for me are Blade and Storm, but they're not DC characters, I like both of those characters alot. I just don't find the black DC characters that interesting.

Did you vote?
Better black superheroes - DC or Marvel? - Gen. Discussion - Comic ...

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-...arvel-1506238/

Speaking of black superheros i posted some links in this thread.

Race and Gender in Marvel Movies - an all studios discussion.

You should check that out.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=472035

Last edited by mace1; 06-23-2014 at 12:30 PM.
mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

Hank Pym's the central Ant-Man who has Wasp, helped create the Avengers, and created Ultron and yet he's old in the MCU.

Look I'm not against Hal but it's different from Batman or Flash. When Bruce or Barry is around, they are Batman and Flash unless it's the old DC Universe but you get the point. Even with Hal there's John, Guy, Alan, Kyle, and a bunch of other guys.

It's easier to replace a Green Lantern than a Batman or Flash.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Yeah, there are some characters you can't replace. No one wants to see a Batman movie with Dick Grayson or Jean-Paul Valley as Batman. Some people might want a Batman Beyond movie (I'm not one of them) but I think that would only work if it's running in addition to a traditional Batman film series. Batman is Bruce Wayne... even though he's had other people take over for him, he's still the guy people want to see. Same with Clark Kent as Superman and Diana as Wonder Woman.

I think GL and Flash are a little more interchangeable; GL especially because part of the whole concept is that GLs are a team and not just one person. I really don't think the majority of the GA cares that much about which GL they use.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Rorschach2012
$

WB should acknowledge that the GLs and Flashes are interchangeable. They should play up the legacy aspect. Let Hal get infected, and kill Barry off so other GLs and Wally can get their day on film too

In that Justice League Mortal film, they were going to kill Barry off and Wally would take up that Flash mantle at the end. I wouldn't mind that.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

Stewart works great in a team film. Better in a JL film than Jordan for example. However, Hal would be good in a solo film (done correctly).

BatmanVSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanVSuperman View Post
Stewart works great in a team film. Better in a JL film than Jordan for example. However, Hal would be good in a solo film (done correctly).
If they end up using John in the movies instead of Hal, I hope for a Green Lantern tv series featuring Hal that could crossover with The Flash and Green Arrow shows.

The solo movie potential is squandered with John unless he's an amalgamation of Hal and John.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

It'll end up being Jade, so Alan Scott confirmed.

LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
mace1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBSON10
No one has said that there can't be more than one black character (or female character). When it comes to the diversity issue, again, I have no problem with including more black or female characters. The only thing I've said, is I don't agree with replacing the big stars just to add more diversity, thus, forcing them in just to be diverse.

Some people have different opinions about which characters they like best, to be expected not everyone is the same, but to most fans and the general audience, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan as Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman are the stars of not only the Justice League but DC Comics in general (hero wise). Those are the top guns of DC to most people, now obviously Flash, Lantern and Aquaman aren't on the same level as Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman but those 6 are the most time honored and popular characters, generally speaking. The majority of fans and the general audience want to see those characters the most. Because they are the most popular. Like it or not, Hal Jordan is the most recognizable Green Lantern. I'm not saying that there isn't a strong fanbase for John Stewart, or that there isn't a big group of fans that like John better than Hal but Hal is the most popular Green Lantern, he just is. And those characters all happen to be "white", it's nobodies fault that the most popular characters are white, that's just how they were written in the beginning and those are the characters that gained the biggest fanbases, the characters that the fans made the most popular by buying their products more than other characters.

Martian Manhunter, John Stewart and Cyborg just aren't as popular overall, they all have their own fanbase but they just aren't on that level with the main 6. Actually, in recent years I would say Green Arrow has become more popular than those 3 as well, another white character. More fans connect with those characters for whatever reason (IMO it has nothing to do with race and everything to do with how interesting the characters are).

Think of it in terms of Boxing, yes, there are alot of people that like the undercard boxers but at the end of day, everyone wants to see the main event. Stewart, Cyborg and even Martian Manhunter are just undercard characters, not because they are black but because they are not as popular as the other 6 are.

So for me, and the majority of fans/general audience (even if it's a slim majority advantage, which I don't think it is) those 6 have to be there first and foremost. You could put Manhunter, Cyborg and John Stewart (and an extra female character or two as well since that's another part of the diversity debate) in the movie and I would have zero problem with it. But everyone wants the big guns in the movie and unfortunately for those that want more diversity, the most popular characters just happen to be white. Personally I don't care what color the characters are, I just want the most interesting characters. The most interesting black characters for me are Blade and Storm, but they're not DC characters, I like both of those characters alot. I just don't find the black DC characters that interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY
Are there any black characters that you think should be allowed in Superhero movies Human Torch? I ask because you seem to almost be offended by the idea of black superheroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113

Thank you MrsKent for finding and compiling the evidence from just the last few pages of people saying this.

It also happened earlier in the thread. A bunch of people think Stewart's only worth is diversity, and then claim that everyone who likes the character only likes him because of it.

That's insulting and THAT'S what I call an agenda - an "anti-PC" agenda. They ignore all the other points about the character that people like and just take up this foolish crusade against "PC" Hollywood while ignoring what people are actually saying about the characters.

So thank you again for collecting some of the evidence of it.

I find these comments below interesting and related to what was mentioned in the last thread.

by Twentyfive

Quote:
First of all, I think this is another good opportunity to thank author Judd Winick for his stellar first arc of Batwing. I honestly do believe that it is in the same calibre of storytelling as the Batman series is, and maybe that's just me. His book also challenged an entire medium, which fails time and again to cater to a broader demographic by highlighting heroes that look like them. Batwing's first arc took place in Africa, and just that setting alone helped to provide an amount of emotion I hardly read in comics these days. If you look at all the problems on that continent, and sprinkle some superheroes in the mix, you will see that there are truly compelling stories that can be told with African/Black characters. I encourage anyone to pick it up, and see what I'm talking about.

Now....The problem with the comic industry is not that we don't have many black characters. I think that the main problem is that comic readers are afraid of embracing the characters because it is not what they're used to seeing. As a side effect of failure to gain the interest of readership, the books are canceled, and good characters like Static will remain in comic book hell. Also, the failure of black books can also be traced to a larger gripe I have with the comic book industry, and that is among the superhero subgenre, nobody wants the stories, and the characters to progress.

People will always expect Hal Jordan to be THE Green Lantern because that is who they are used to seeing, because again, the people don't want to see anyone but him. It is a perpetuating cycle that will end up destroying the validity of the industry. People don't want to see Cyborg elevate to the status of "Big 7" because they want the lineup they grew up with. The black Invincible enraged fans when he was first unveiled, If you go scouring around, you will see that these issues aren't mere coincidences, and they actually indeed transcend the race topic. Whenever there is a major change in comics, the readers go up in arms, and demand things go back to the way they were, and worse than that, the publishers conform to such stupid demands. The problem with that is that 50, 60 years from now, kids are going to be reading Green Lantern stories (new stories, may I add) about the Origin of Hal Jordan. People in the year 2070 will be reading again about how Peter Parker got bitten by a spider, and lost his girlfriend to the Green Goblin.

The people who hold down the comic industry are indeed the very people that the industry is catering to, and that must come to a stop. But judging by the comments I see on this and other websites, that may never happen.

Black superheroes legends or lip service
http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-...ervice-687211/

Last edited by mace1; 06-23-2014 at 08:20 PM.
mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

Stewart is the more popular GL in regard to the JL (because he was in the long-running animated JL/JLU), but Hal is more of the 'original stand-alone' version of GL.

I'd say if they're using Dwayne Johnson as Shazam! keep Hal and use him in JL with Reynolds, but personally I'd rather see Dwayne Johnson as Stewart's GL to both reinvigorate the GL brand and help pump up the JL film even more.

Hard call either way...but excluding GL from JL seems the wrong answer.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

There is zero chance Reynolds will play GL again. I don't know why some people can't understand that.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
WB should acknowledge that the GLs and Flashes are interchangeable. They should play up the legacy aspect. Let Hal get infected, and kill Barry off so other GLs and Wally can get their day on film too

In that Justice League Mortal film, they were going to kill Barry off and Wally would take up that Flash mantle at the end. I wouldn't mind that.
But if it's true that neither Flash or Green Lantern are getting solo films I doubt those possibilities could happen.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Regarding Mace1's post, I am all for minority characters taking Martian Manhunter's spot in the Big 7. Characters like Cyborg, Static, Blue Beetle III, etc would be more interesting to see in that 7th spot. IMO, MM being a member of the League in the first place was a matter of right place, right time. Ideally, there would even be an 8th spot where another minority character can show up, either another female or another non white member.

I think that the GL that should be in JL film should be the one who is THE Green Lantern. And for the past 50+ years, that has been Hal. Even when he is replaced, they always come back to him. People can disagree with me and go on biased rants, but thats the way I see it.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
regwec
Shakespearo

Hal Jordan certainly wasn't "the" Green Lantern while Kyle Rayner was "the" Green Lantern.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #18
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Hence the reason why I specifically said "Even when he is replaced, they always come back to him". However, you are correct.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #19
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Kyle Rayner was "the" Green Lantern for like, 10 years? Hal has been leading the GL books for decades, now.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
There is zero chance Reynolds will play GL again. I don't know why some people can't understand that.
Quote? Link?

Or just your opinion?

Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #21
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Well Kyle was often in Hal's shadow. Whether it be via Parallax before he went full villain, time travel shenanigans, or Hal's memory following Final Night. It was only really a brief period from about 1998 to 2002 when he was really the defining Green Lantern, and even then he became "the Ion" for some of that time.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #22
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Sith View Post
Quote? Link?

Or just your opinion?
You want a link to it's dismal reviews and it's dismal box office numbers?

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #23
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Yup. For much of Kyle's tenure, Hal's presence was looming.

Its why Hal is most likely going to be the GL in the JL flick. For most of his history, he has been the iconic Green Lantern, a position that was definitively cemented by Geoff Johns' work on the character. And with DC/WB wanting more synergy between its comics and entertainment divisions, well...

I've said this before, but the only way we're seeing John Stewart as GL is if The Rock decides to play him.

Last edited by The Batman; 06-25-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Nope and nope. I witnessed both myself.

*edit* But to treat that as fact like the sky is blue...that's something else.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #25
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Quote:

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote