The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 05-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #76
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman Physique Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvS117 View Post
I think you can also pin this on the fact that he was filming Gone Girl until December too.
That's probably true.

I hope no one misunderstands me. I'm not faulting Affleck as much as I am those who want to use words like "phenomenal" and "jacked" for the last three months to describe how he looks.

I think it's very likely he won't have a vanity scene in this film and simply isn't required (and I don't believe has the desire anyway) to go where Cavill went and is likely going again as prep for this role.

lukebrodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #77
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
Nobody said that this thing (the metal one) was worn by Cavill when he was Superman, they were their muscles, they enhanced with some material (he worn maybe the one in the middle of the pic above) that the actor that played Jax-ur said but I'm not sure that he worn that thing. You just need to see the shirtless scene and then the Airport government scene and it's exactly the same body. The metallic look has nothing to do with the sculpture of that mold, it's the effect of lightning and the material of the suit.

No.

He wore that under the suit. As did everyone else.

Cavill's suit was based on a cast and scans they took of his actual physique. Not sure about everyone else (whether they wore one based on their physique), but Cavill's was.

And yes, that faux metallic undersuit is what gave the final, 3 layered suit its metallic sheen.

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 05-17-2014 at 07:06 PM.
SpideyFan866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #78
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post

No.

He wore that under the suit. As did everyone else.

Cavill's suit was based on a cast and scans they took of his actual physique. Not sure about everyone else (whether they wore one based on their physique), but Cavill's was.

And yes, that faux metallic undersuit is what gave the final, 3 layered suit its metallic sheen.
Not his midsection though, which was quite different compared to Cavill's actuall musculature there.

I'm hoping that's one element they fix for the suit.

Bruce Malone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #79
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Time is Affleck's biggest enemy, in terms of his physicality for the role. I'm not sure how long Cavill had to prepare for MoS, but I believe it was around 8 months or more. Hugh Jackman trained for one year in preparation for his role in "The Wolverine", and he has been working on that body for over a decade.

Affleck had to play an average, middle-aged man (with Fincher stopping him from getting too fit) and has only a couple months before filming BvS.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #80
SuperInfidelX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Affleck had to play an average, middle-aged man (with Fincher stopping him from getting too fit) and has only a couple months before filming BvS.
Still, I could only imagine having the money to hire a personal chef to come prepare my food for the week, all within the macros of a personal nutritionist, followed by being pushed by a hard core personal trainer in the gym. A few months of that should have him looking pretty good.

You also have to understand he's a family man. He probably also wants to spend as much time with his family before shooting since he just finished up Gone Girl. Tough balancing act.

Last edited by SuperInfidelX; 05-17-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Aliens
SuperInfidelX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #81
matt47
Side-Kick

For a few months of training I think he looks realistic. As in, what you can do in that timeframe.

matt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #82
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

His frame looks a good deal sturdier, which will help. His arms look like they could use some work but they'll most likely have him filming his shirtless scenes (assuming there is one) directly following a pump, so that will naturally inflate the size of his arms.

Bruce Malone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:14 AM   #83
horrorwriter
Bad Moon Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperInfidelX View Post
Still, I could only imagine having the money to hire a personal chef to come prepare my food for the week, all within the macros of a personal nutritionist, followed by being pushed by a hard core personal trainer in the gym. A few months of that should have him looking pretty good.

You also have to understand he's a family man. He probably also wants to spend as much time with his family before shooting since he just finished up Gone Girl. Tough balancing act.
even still, as someone who does work out, we have to take into consideration his genes, soma type, (endomorphic?) as well as other factors for him getting into the shape they want. Like you said, he only had a few months. In the released pic of batman's suit, he looks "thick" and muscular. Actually it looks more realistic. The six pack abs are obviously padding or something. Ben looks big and beastly but not necessarily 'Jacked." but for that matter, neither does Cavill. Cavill looks "ripped." In the gym, a fellow who is "Jacked" looks like Bane from Dark Knight Rises. Huge pecs, traps, arms, and body fat. Ripped is 10 percent body fat or less and completely muscular. Hugh Jackman is a great example.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 AM   #84
horrorwriter
Bad Moon Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
His frame looks a good deal sturdier, which will help. His arms look like they could use some work but they'll most likely have him filming his shirtless scenes (assuming there is one) directly following a pump, so that will naturally inflate the size of his arms.
This...

Old 05-18-2014, 04:25 AM   #85
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
His body has been airbrushed in that photo to make his abs pop more
Lol. His abs are popping because they are well developed and because he has very low body fat, not because they were airbrushed.

There's plenty of BTS images from the shooting of is shirtless scenes - and you can see that there was no make-up done on his abs. Infact they did not even tan him or light him well, had they done that, his abs would have popped even more than they did.

Here's what he had to say about it to Men's Health

It's very stressful waking up Monday morning and saying, 'Can I still see that vein in my abs?'. You get the fear every morning. Do I look good enough? And of course you do. But in your own head, you never look good enough.

I had a big sense of pride, I was like, No shading. I dont want you to draw abs on me. I dont want you to put dirt in the right places. I just want to do it myself. I want to have the body. Its a pride thing.

So what you see in the movie is his own eight pack without any assistance or enhancement.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:32 AM   #86
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Since it seems to piss people off, I'm going to type it again.

Ben looks real good. PHENOMENAL even.

Also... Na-na-na-na-boo-boo.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #87
BvS117
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Lol. His abs are popping because they are well developed and because he has very low body fat, not because they were airbrushed.

There's plenty of BTS images from the shooting of is shirtless scenes - and you can see that there was no make-up done on his abs. Infact they did not even tan him or light him well, had they done that, his abs would have popped even more than they did.

Here's what he had to say about it to Men's Health

It's very stressful waking up Monday morning and saying, 'Can I still see that vein in my abs?'. You get the fear every morning. Do I look good enough? And of course you do. But in your own head, you never look good enough.

I had a big sense of pride, I was like, ‘No shading. I don’t want you to draw abs on me. I don’t want you to put dirt in the right places. I just want to do it myself. I want to have the body.’ It’s a pride thing.

So what you see in the movie is his own eight pack without any assistance or enhancement.

I'm not saying he didn't have abs. But I'm pretty sure they added grime/airbrush to enhance them for that scene/photograph.

Compare the first three to the last one.

Last edited by BvS117; 05-18-2014 at 05:20 AM.
BvS117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #88
Jaxon
Side-Kick

If he typically works out, in 12 weeks of the right diet the body fat can be wherever he wants it to be. Changing physical size more typically needs about 6 months particularly at his age

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #89
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I'm not saying he didn't have abs. But I'm pretty sure they added grime/airbrush to enhance them for that scene/photograph.

I usually don't participate in these "muscle" discussions because, frankly, I don't care too much about who has the best delts or whatever, but I have to say that Cavill had great abs. They put make-up on him to make him look dirty, but he had damn good abs:

That certainly doesn't look like a lot of shading and trickery.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #90
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:

Oh you are basing this just on the last photo - that one is easily explained. In the last one he is specially flexing his abs for the camera in a frontal shot, that is why they are standing out more prominently, the other pictures are just candid shots from different angles. And also the contrast in the last one is off because its not actually a picture but a screengrab from a video.

And as Cavill said, he's too proud to put make-up on his abs. The gifs above also show that there was no make-up on his belly, he was actually quite pale.

EDIT: The video from which this screengrab is was on youtube in HD but has been removed now. But I found it on the Gym Jones website, you can check it out here - http://www.gymjones.com/gallery/?cat...a_type=&query=

Last edited by slumcat; 05-18-2014 at 08:50 AM.
slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #91
SuperInfidelX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Since it seems to piss people off, I'm going to type it again.

Ben looks real good. PHENOMENAL even.

Also... Na-na-na-na-boo-boo.
Haha, it's all good. I don't think it's right to get pissed off because of somebody's opinion on something so subjective. It's all relative. What might look merely "good" to one person might appear "phenomenal" to somebody else and some people could care less either way. There's really no sense arguing over perception. We all have an idea in our heads what we want him to look like.

Last edited by SuperInfidelX; 05-18-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Bigfoot.
SuperInfidelX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #92
lc23
Fan of Steel

So...basically, Superman's going to have the better-looking/more idealized physique than Batman in this movie when all is said and done?

lc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #93
DKDetective
Commander RNVR

I think a couple of things need to be said about Cavill's shape and Affleck's shape because there is still a bunch of misconceptions around here. Yes, they did not do make up or touch-ups on Cavill's abs but they did do some things to optimize the presentation of his physique in his shirtless scenes. On both the oil rig and when he steals the clothes, Cavill is wet, which gives him a nice sheen and helps show off his definition. Also, both scenes are lit relatively softly. Soft lighting is good. Harsh lighting washes out definition. So they didn't cheat, but they did help.

As has been mentioned, Afflect looks far from phenomenal, even in recent photos, which has nothing to do with his drive or commitment to the role. As has been mentioned, his Gone Girl commitments and Fincher's production overruns have interferred with Affleck's preparation time. He was told to stop working out because he needed to look like an average, middle-aged guy for Gone Girl.

People also need to be a lot more realistic about what can be accomplished naturally in just a few months. It doesn't matter if you have a personal chef or killer personal trainer, the human body puts on muscle mass relatively slowly. The result is that Afflect looks like a reasonably fit, middle-aged man right now. Thus, his current physique is really quite different from what the Batsuit shows. The suit is helping him out a lot as a result. It is highly unlikely that he will continue to grow as the shoot progresses given the time commmitments and the difficulties keeping up with proper sleep, diet, and exercise during a big budget Hollywood production. Unless Ben intends to "ride a bicycle", don't expect miracles.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #94
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I know people have been raving about his outstanding physical transformation for the role of Batman but looking at the images below, he looks ok to but certainly nothing outstanding. He even seems to be having bit of a belly going on, a far cry from the big abs on his suit. Though I guess he still has time.

Sorry if these images have been posted before, saw them just now online somewhere.

May 16th (2 days ago)

May 13 ( 5 days ago)

Last edited by slumcat; 05-18-2014 at 03:51 PM.
slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #95
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

They'll film Afflecks shirtless scene's last. So he has a few months more to train.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #96
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
They'll film Afflecks shirtless scene's last. So he has a few months more to train.
That's what I'm thinking. He has enough bulk but maybe a little more than just cutting the fat towards the end. Because right now I don't think it would be impressive. Yet.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #97
Mr. Finger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
He has a year or more, really...
2016 is a LONG way away..
Who knows when they plan to do it, but in a suit and tie, or the Batsuit?
Ben looks like he will be fine for now..

Poor guy.. Getting stalked like that?
Kind of crazy when you think about it?

Mr. Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #98
BvS117
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Oh you are basing this just on the last photo - that one is easily explained. In the last one he is specially flexing his abs for the camera in a frontal shot, that is why they are standing out more prominently, the other pictures are just candid shots from different angles. And also the contrast in the last one is off because its not actually a picture but a screengrab from a video.

And as Cavill said, he's too proud to put make-up on his abs. The gifs above also show that there was no make-up on his belly, he was actually quite pale.

EDIT: The video from which this screengrab is was on youtube in HD but has been removed now. But I found it on the Gym Jones website, you can check it out here - http://www.gymjones.com/gallery/?cat...a_type=&query=

Yeah this could explain it too. I like how in that video he wrote a thank you note to Mark Twight. Seems like a nice guy.

Also just to clarify, I'm not trying to bash Henry at all here, I think he got into ridiculous shape from the movie, the guys a beast.

BvS117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #99
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I think a couple of things need to be said about Cavill's shape and Affleck's shape because there is still a bunch of misconceptions around here. Yes, they did not do make up or touch-ups on Cavill's abs but they did do some things to optimize the presentation of his physique in his shirtless scenes. On both the oil rig and when he steals the clothes, Cavill is wet, which gives him a nice sheen and helps show off his definition. Also, both scenes are lit relatively softly. Soft lighting is good. Harsh lighting washes out definition. So they didn't cheat, but they did help.

As has been mentioned, Afflect looks far from phenomenal, even in recent photos, which has nothing to do with his drive or commitment to the role. As has been mentioned, his Gone Girl commitments and Fincher's production overruns have interferred with Affleck's preparation time. He was told to stop working out because he needed to look like an average, middle-aged guy for Gone Girl.

People also need to be a lot more realistic about what can be accomplished naturally in just a few months. It doesn't matter if you have a personal chef or killer personal trainer, the human body puts on muscle mass relatively slowly. The result is that Afflect looks like a reasonably fit, middle-aged man right now. Thus, his current physique is really quite different from what the Batsuit shows. The suit is helping him out a lot as a result. It is highly unlikely that he will continue to grow as the shoot progresses given the time commmitments and the difficulties keeping up with proper sleep, diet, and exercise during a big budget Hollywood production. Unless Ben intends to "ride a bicycle", don't expect miracles.
This. People seem to think that becoming "jacked" or packing on lots of muscle mass can happen quickly. It doesn't matter if you have the best trainer and nutritionist in the world, the human body simply isn't capable of synthesizing new muscular tissue (a very physiologically expensive thing to do, going against evolutionary trends) at a rate greater than .5-1 lb of muscle a week. Without drugs, that is. This is why people who go on "bulks" and eat as much as they can tend to put on a lot more fat than muscle.

Burning fat is much easier. It can be done fairly quickly, and the change in body composition is much easier to see in a short period of time. And as they say, the fastest way to look like you put on 10 lbs of muscle is to lose 20 lbs of fat.

Affleck can get lean by the time his shirtless scenes are filmed, and he may even look impressive if he gets his body fat % low enough to show his abs. But there is no way he is going to match the Batsuit...that thing is a monster. Acquiring that much muscle mass requires multiple years of hard work and consistency.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #100
lc23
Fan of Steel

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or am I seeing a bit of a gut there?

lc23 is offline   Reply With Quote