The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:32 AM   #26
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, he did. It was a little hard to tell though because the scene was so dark overall.

If they ever do the Death/Return storyline, I hope they have him wear something similar for at least a few scenes; something like what he wore when in the comics in the Engine City storyline. Although I hope they don't give him the mullet.

Yeah, the super-mullet was nearly as bad as the Red-Blue Superman thing,
that was awful. Even when Superman punched out the Hulk in 1996, that mullet made him hard to take seriously.

Supes has been through a lot of ups and downs and changes over the years, there was a great storyline where he left Earth, in the late 80's and Jerry Ordway drew him, he was fighting as a gladiator on Warworld and had a super-beard (it actually worked). That's when the eradicator was first introduced. Anyway, the worst part of the mullet was Clark Kent in a suit with a pony-tail, ugh !

I remember when John Romita Jr was drawing X men back then and so many characters had terrible hairstyles, and dressed like the supporting cast of Miami vice, even Magneto had a terrible costume.

Thank goodness that Supes is sporting a better coiffure in the films. They should just leave Cavill's hairdo as is.

Weird as it sounds, I think Cavill's body hair is a good feature for Superman.
In the classic Ordway drawn storyline I mentioned above, and in some of his better iterations, Superman is drawn with body-hair. There's nothing metrosexual about him at all, he's just a farm-boy at heart.

I always found Reeve's Superman a bit too sleek and well-groomed. I really enjoyed Cavill's manual labourer look - old jeans, boots and old t-shirt, made Superman seem like a regular guy.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #27
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchan View Post
SR has the dishonor of giving us the worst superman since TDKR and justice league TAS season 1 IMO!!!
In the film scientists discover krypton's (it was all a ruse by Lex, which we DIDN'T get to see) and superman just ups and leaves without saying as much as a goodbye to the planet or it's people. I personally have no problem with superman leaving to check for survivors but did singer and his boy writers really think that a character as noble and conscientious as superman would be so cowardly and feeble as to leave the people of earth high and dry without holding some sort of a press conference assuring the planet that he needs to be away for a while but he trusts the people of earth to get by without him as they always have.

Then there is the spying on Lois and her family or creeping into Jason's bedroom in the middle of the night; that was some seriously creepy stuff!

Other sins include wasting spacey's talents on a half baked copycat performance of Gene Hackman's lex and a Lois Lane who is remarkably annoying and mundane at the same time!

As for the lack of action, well to be honest I didn't really care, there were some cool sequences like the plane rescue and the bullet into the eye etc...... But I've always been one of those people who goes to watch movies for the characters with the action being the icing on the cake but instead I got little action and much worse a lame, creepy, inadequate superman who belongs more in a recent Frank Miller comic than a supposed revival of a long dormant franchise.

In the end I feel that the 3 minutes drone scene between Cavill and Swanwick at the end (as inappropriately placed as it was) showed me more of superman than I saw throughout the entire run of SR.
Well said, Superchan!

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #28
sf2
Side-Kick

Let's stop the bashing on SR n Routh. Let's just pretend SR never happened like what Singer would like us to do on SIII n Siv.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #29
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Quote:
Although I hope they don't give him the mullet.
I would agree normally but:

He could totally pull it off and it would make sense to have his hair longer during his return as a visual indicator of how much time has passed since he "died" IMO.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #30
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Oh, okay. So the Lex/Superman scene, where Superman says about two lines and is apparently so brain dead that he doesn't notice his power is suddenly diminishing, is a good scene because you say so. But my assertion that Cavill is a stronger actor doesn't count because it's my opinion. Gotcha.
I never discounted your opinion. I'm saying confirmation bias exists. Perhaps you think more highly of Cavill's Superman because you prefer his film. I do think Cavill is a better actor, but he's not demonstrated himself to be anything great himself.

But why is a scene in which Superman says to lines and is then physically pummelled is no different to a scene in which Batman says one line and is pummelled? Both rush in unprepared against a villain that knows exactly how to destroy them.

Or better yet, what was poorly directed in that scene? If anything I'd say it wasn't brutal enough, sure he's dragged through the mud, thrown through crystals, punched a couple times, drowned and stabbed- but he could have been completely demolished, which would have made a return all the more triumphant.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #31
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I never discounted your opinion. I'm saying confirmation bias exists. Perhaps you think more highly of Cavill's Superman because you prefer his film. I do think Cavill is a better actor, but he's not demonstrated himself to be anything great himself.

But why is a scene in which Superman says to lines and is then physically pummelled is no different to a scene in which Batman says one line and is pummelled? Both rush in unprepared against a villain that knows exactly how to destroy them.

Or better yet, what was poorly directed in that scene? If anything I'd say it wasn't brutal enough, sure he's dragged through the mud, thrown through crystals, punched a couple times, drowned and stabbed- but he could have been completely demolished, which would have made a return all the more triumphant.
I think it was a poor scene because it makes Superman appear like an idiot, IMO. This is a guy who has encountered Kryptonite on multiple occasions. He knows its effects. It weakens him to the point where a middle aged man can kick the crap out of him. Therefore, he had to notice the effects of it once he landed on the island, yet he does nothing. And if he didn't notice it, then it lacks consistency not only with other films but the film itself. But then, that could be said of the entire island sequence: kryptonite is so powerful that it turns him into a mortal man, yet one quick recharge from the sun (even though he still has a piece of K stuck inside him) and he's able to LIFT the entire island into space. The lack of consistency over the effects of kryptonite is prevalent in the comics as well, but to me, it seems like they didn't even think it through in SR. It's just like... it hurts him when it's convenient, and its a minor distraction when it's not.

I also feel like it was an opportunity for Superman to have a real confrontation with Luthor; to have some good dialogue between the two. Instead, he says about two lines (and the camera isn't even on him as he's saying them, which is annoying, considering how little dialogue he has to begin with) and then it's all Luthor with some Superman screaming. It's not terrible but it's a missed opportunity. The Batman/Bane comparison doesn't really work because they had several other scenes where they interacted (in the "Lazarus" pit, before and after the final battle). Here, we had once scene and Superman barely did or said anything.

I know I'm not going to convince you of this; just how I view the whole thing.

Martha Plimpton for Captain Marvel

Think outside the box, people!

Last edited by Rowsdower!; 05-18-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #32
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Yeah, the super-mullet was nearly as bad as the Red-Blue Superman thing,
that was awful. Even when Superman punched out the Hulk in 1996, that mullet made him hard to take seriously.

Supes has been through a lot of ups and downs and changes over the years, there was a great storyline where he left Earth, in the late 80's and Jerry Ordway drew him, he was fighting as a gladiator on Warworld and had a super-beard (it actually worked). That's when the eradicator was first introduced. Anyway, the worst part of the mullet was Clark Kent in a suit with a pony-tail, ugh !

I remember when John Romita Jr was drawing X men back then and so many characters had terrible hairstyles, and dressed like the supporting cast of Miami vice, even Magneto had a terrible costume.

Thank goodness that Supes is sporting a better coiffure in the films. They should just leave Cavill's hairdo as is.

Weird as it sounds, I think Cavill's body hair is a good feature for Superman.
In the classic Ordway drawn storyline I mentioned above, and in some of his better iterations, Superman is drawn with body-hair. There's nothing metrosexual about him at all, he's just a farm-boy at heart.

I always found Reeve's Superman a bit too sleek and well-groomed. I really enjoyed Cavill's manual labourer look - old jeans, boots and old t-shirt, made Superman seem like a regular guy.
Ugh, yeah the Red/Blue Superman thing was awful. Thankfully, I don't think we'll EVER see that in a Superman movie.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #33
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I hope we see a good ideological clash between Supes and Bats/Supes and Luthor. Don't hold back on the dialogue for Cavill this time around.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #34
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I hope we see a good ideological clash between Supes and Bats/Supes and Luthor. Don't hold back on the dialogue for Cavill this time around.
Yes! I want this supes to get under Lex's skin just as much as Lex gets under his. Let him be feisty. No blank staring supes that just takes crap from people.

\S/T*
Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #35
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Wait...Henry Cavil is in this movie?

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 05-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #36
-Kal-Elle-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
A couple of things about this:
-He's dropping hints about villains again, lol
-He's so nice to those TMZ folks. He always answers questions when they bombard him in the air port.
-His fashion sense is horrid. I find it endearing because it fits with his adorkable nature, but it's true. Those colors don't work together and that jacket doesn't fit him. Size up, Cav-el.
-Despite the heinous clothes, he looks damn good.
Lol!! I actually don't mind those colours together!! However I just don't like polo necks in general, they are very 'posh boy' (at least in the UK) and I don't like that look! Agree that jacket is way too small though - I think it's this same one below... which means if you were wearing it comfortably when you were normal size, it's going to be TOO SMALL when you're Superman size Cav-El! Maybe buy some new clothes?! Or you know... keep wearing too-small ones that are too snug against your big hard body - both equally fine.

Yeah I think Doomsday will be the villain but not until JL. They can't bust him out too soon. What's the general consensus on the villain for BvS? Lex + ? Metallo??

Old 05-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #37
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ If that's the same jacket, he has gained a lot of mass.

\S/T*
Old 05-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #38
lc23
Fan of Steel

Old 05-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #39
-Kal-Elle-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post

Nice!!

Although whenever I see the bottom right gif, the Clark-on-fire one, I always think of Slumcat now and not Superman! Must spend too much time on these boards...

Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #40
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Haha, yeah I'm not over my SR hate either but I think I could get over it if someone wouldn't drop into this forum every few days and explain to me why I should have appreciated SR more and how it got Superman better than MOS did. I'm sorry, but I like my Superman to have a ****ing personality.
I respect the people who like that movie. But when they try to compare that eventhought in that time Superman had 4 movies of experience and dealing with his powers, did they put supes better? when? They could give Superman a great challenge but they introduce another things that had nothing to do with the character and of course they put him in an omnipresent way, robotic way and that it seems that he has not feelings nor personality and in other ocassions they shown him as rather gullible.
They can like that movie and totally respected but it was a version of the Donner films not were as the real source that were the COMICS . That's why I appreciate what in MOS did, cause it was a refresh but also pretty loyal to the comic, the TRUE source.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #41
Bran The Man
Sumthin', Sumthin' Hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post

The blue and the red look really good in that upper left hand gif. The colors really pop! It would be cool if we got some like that for the new film.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #42
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
I respect the people who like that movie. But when they try to compare that eventhought in that time Superman had 4 movies of experience and dealing with his powers, did they put supes better? when? They could give Superman a great challenge but they introduce another things that had nothing to do with the character and of course they put him in an omnipresent way, robotic way and that it seems that he has not feelings nor personality and in other ocassions they shown him as rather gullible.
They can like that movie and totally respected but it was a version of the Donner films not were as the real source that were the COMICS . That's why I appreciate what in MOS did, cause it was a refresh but also pretty loyal to the comic, the TRUE source.
Yeah, the Donner films are great, but I never saw them as the end-all, be-all of Superman stories. There is so much untapped potential in the comics, and I was glad to see some of it finally realized on the big screen. I hope they go even farther in the sequels, introducing characters like Brainiac, Parasite, Metallo. We already know we're getting corporate Lex and STAR Labs, so that's a good start (and of course Batman, Wonder Woman and Cyborg).

Old 05-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #43
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Considering that Gadot and Affleck are both back in Michigan now, Cavill probably won't be far behind.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #44
Steelsheen
Iconic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
oh man #THIS, i hope Snyder and gang wont shy away from this. heck if Captain America can get away with what they had with TWS, the rest of Hollywood should just go for it yknow? idealism and comicbooks go hand in hand like peas and carrots

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Old 05-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #45
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

How do we know he isn't already there?

Old 05-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #46
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Hasn't Cavill been living in Detroit for months?

Old 05-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #47
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
How do we know he isn't already there?
Good point.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #48
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Yeah, I thought he reported down there months ago.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #49
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Is his hair black? That's the indicator. Any recent pics?

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #50
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Is his hair black? That's the indicator. Any recent pics?
It's not necessarily an indicator. We don't really know if the production team felt it was necessary to darken Gadot's hair for the role.

Having said that, it looks very dark brown to me. Keep in mind, though, hair color appears lighter in the daytime; and Gal was recently photographed outdoors. So, it's hard to tell.

Closed Thread